PDA

View Full Version : A Question for a Chemist Concerning Gas Masks

Sparkyprep
01-27-2015, 05:03 PM
I have recently acquired a full-face respirator as part of my preps that is very similar to the type used by police. Since I live in the country, my primary philosophy of use is protection against tear gas. My question is, what type of filter do I need? There are a lot of different types that fit this mask, and I have the NIOSH chart that came with the mask, but no where does it list "capsasin". So, for any chemists, or cops, what type of filter do I need? 1155

1moretoy
01-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Just make sure it will protect you from TxWheels bunny farts

Infidel
01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
My advice would be to test it with the filters it comes with. CS which is a common chemical agent is a particulate carried on smoke (most of the time), your filters in that mask may work just fine. Also a damp rag tied about the nose and mouth will help in a chemical agent situation as will some sort of goggles (with no air holes) use these in a pinch where no mask is available it should help you to stay functioning. I hate chemical agents but I have found over the years that I can still function when exposed. It ain't pretty but I can. The hardest part is over coming the feeling of not being able to breathe. On the other hand I know people that CS has no effect on. Pepper spray is a whole other animal and I'm afraid I don't have any experience with it but you should be able to test the filter against that also. If memory serves me correctly it's the same principal accept that the particulate is carried in a liquid suspension. Others with more experience may be able to confirm or correct that info.

-Infidel

James m
01-27-2015, 07:42 PM
I would like to throw out there that a lot of really old mask filters contained asbestos. The Russian side being the worst and latest offenders.

Sparkyprep
01-27-2015, 07:47 PM
This is a brand new, Honeywell 7600 full face mask, with brand new cartridges.

Txwheels
01-28-2015, 03:55 AM
With that particular mask you should be good to go against anything commonly used including Capsasin.
We used the same type of mask when I was a deputy and we tried it with Capsasin spray and it worked perfectly as it did with anything we tested it with.

Sparkyprep
01-28-2015, 04:39 AM
Thank you Wheels

Infidel
01-28-2015, 08:15 PM
The key to gas masks is making sure you get a good seal. Practice putting it on in a hurry and making sure you get a good seal so when you need it it'll be second nature.

-Infidel

Sparkyprep
01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Already got that down, as part of my job. I've been fit-tested on this model, and I stay certified in emergency response wearing a mask.

BugMan
02-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Capsaicin is not a gas. So anything that keeps the liquid or solids off your skin is sufficient.

Montana Rancher
02-08-2015, 11:10 PM
In the army the biggest concern was getting a good seal, and we tested it using a bag with a banana scent to it being put over hour head. If you smelled banana then you didn't have a good seal. I don't know the exact formula they used but I would guess anything that had an noticeable odor would work like bleach or vinegar.

As for filters I read a lot about keeping them fresh but that is mostly from the filter manufacturers (go figure), I think the biggest thing is to practice making sure you have a good seal.

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 05:20 AM
And if you have a big full beard like me your screwed......... no seal.

You should also consider a pulmonary function test to see if your lungs can even handle wearing a respirator.

Sparkyprep
02-09-2015, 05:50 PM
And if you have a big full beard like me your screwed......... no seal.

You should also consider a pulmonary function test to see if your lungs can even handle wearing a respirator.

Again, check on the fit test and function test through work. I actually wear one of these at work from time to time. It is great advise for people considering a mask like this.

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Again, check on the fit test and function test through work. I actually wear one of these at work from time to time. It is great advise for people considering a mask like this.
Because of the beard they supply me a P.A.P.R. the draw back is its battery pack powered.

Montana Rancher
02-10-2015, 11:30 PM
I would like to throw out there that a lot of really old mask filters contained asbestos. The Russian side being the worst and latest offenders.

I'm taking these posts as them come, you are a moron, this isn't a Russian setup, do some research before you flap the gums.

James m
02-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Masks in general.

hawgrider
02-11-2015, 05:23 AM
I'm taking these posts as them come, you are a moron, this isn't a Russian setup, do some research before you flap the gums.LOL Chuckles so early in the morning.

Asbestos is only a danger if its friable.

Sparkyprep
02-11-2015, 07:15 PM
LOL Chuckles so early in the morning.

Asbestos is only a danger if its friable.

Most people have touched a Asbestos Containing Materials, with no ill effects. Only a friable, airborne matrix is dangerous.

Montana Rancher
02-19-2015, 12:51 AM
I feel my IQ just dropped a bit as I didn't know what "friable" was.....

wait...

Ok, I'm over it.

hawgrider
02-19-2015, 05:05 AM
I feel my IQ just dropped a bit as I didn't know what "friable" was.....

wait...

Ok, I'm over it.Asbestos awareness classes years ago job related.

Montana Rancher
02-20-2015, 11:51 PM
Asbestos awareness classes years ago job related.

Ok, Hawg

Rather than state some obscure "awareness' program why not let the clueless in on the meat and potatoes of your post?

As I probably did not attend that "program" let us know what you know and put my obvious dis's to rest.

I would rather learn than say gull shit.

hawgrider
02-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Ok, Hawg

Rather than state some obscure "awareness' program why not let the clueless in on the meat and potatoes of your post?

As I probably did not attend that "program" let us know what you know and put my obvious dis's to rest.

I would rather learn than say gull shit.Ive had training for abestoes removal. Thru the job. Im a boiler man. Asbestos is every where. Its in your trucks brake pads thru zig zag orange cigarette rolling papers. Its in floor tile, pipe insulation. Its in old house siding. Friable or non friable is whether or not its a danger to you by being able to make it airborne or not..

Pauls
02-21-2015, 09:40 PM
Some asbestos is long fiber and not as dangerous and other kinds of asbestos is short fiber - the shorter the fibers the easier it becoms airborne.
Asbestos is no longer being used in friction surfaces, floor tile, or pipe insulation. Even "welding blankets" are no longer made with asbestos.

HeavyHauler
10-26-2016, 04:36 AM
Asbestos is shaped like hooks, breathe it in and they'll stick in your lungs.

I work at a mine, full of the shit.

We wear respirators in almost every are, with p100 filters.

Fit testing is done, yearly.

Don't breathe that shit in.

Cartridges made with asbestos, I have no idea about.

We have pink filters (p100) for particulates (asbestos, dust, metal-ore, etc) and green filters, for ammonia (never had them here or used them).

But OP has a new mask, so this isn't a concern.