PDA

View Full Version : Canning the pig

Dwight55
01-27-2015, 05:56 PM
OK, . . . pork tenderloins were on sale today, . . . got about $50 worth to put in the jars.

I was gonna just "put" them in the jars like I did the venison and the beef, . . . but I thought I'd throw it out here, . . . see if'n anyone here has a "tried and true" sumpthin or nother recipe for pork.

Oh, . . . yeah, . . . gotta be easy too, . . . not too much involved, . . . my helper is sick, . . .

Thanks, may God bless,
Dwight

Deebo
01-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Following, I'd like to see one in gravy..

1moretoy
01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Dry rub and grill in iron skillet

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 06:57 PM
OK, . . . pork tenderloins were on sale today, . . . got about $50 worth to put in the jars.

I was gonna just "put" them in the jars like I did the venison and the beef, . . . but I thought I'd throw it out here, . . . see if'n anyone here has a "tried and true" sumpthin or nother recipe for pork.

Oh, . . . yeah, . . . gotta be easy too, . . . not too much involved, . . . my helper is sick, . . .

Thanks, may God bless,
Dwight
Wish I could help but I have not canned pork. Have you checked the pressure and time requirements for pork yet? I'm curious if it the same as beef /venison.

Edited: had to look in the book. Pork is the same as beef lamb veal and venison.
10 lbs pressure. pints 75 minutes guarts 90 minutes at 1000 ft.
Over a 1000 ft 15 lbs pressure.

Dwight55
01-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Thanks, hawgrider, . . . I saw a post to that effect on another site, . . . but just wanted some confirmation, . . . couldn't find it right away, . . . figured I'd come here.

I'm gonna have to put a drop or two of liquid smoke, . . . maybe some brown sugar in a couple of the jars, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
01-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Thanks, hawgrider, . . . I saw a post to that effect on another site, . . . but just wanted some confirmation, . . . couldn't find it right away, . . . figured I'd come here.

I'm gonna have to put a drop or two of liquid smoke, . . . maybe some brown sugar in a couple of the jars, . . .

May God bless,
DwightOk now your talking .... never though about a couple drops of liquid smoke in my canned venison what a great idea ! Brown sugar sounds pretty good too.

Inor
01-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Don't can the tenderloin. Just fry it up and eat it NOW! How can anybody even think to let pork tenderloin sit around uneaten? :biglaugh:

BTW: If you need help, PM me your address and I will come over and eat the tenderloin for you. Just tryin to help.

MrsInor
01-28-2015, 10:39 AM

May God bless,
Dwight

Or a little maple syrup.

Pauls
01-28-2015, 01:24 PM
When I can meat of any kind I always braize it first. On a hot skillet, 450F, just carmelize the meat on all sides. This does not cook the meat but the carmelizing adds the true flavor of the meat.
Once braized, I add what spices or sauces I want and then can it. When you eat the canned meat later it will have better flavor and texture than if you can it fully cooked or raw. Yes, you can place raw meat in the jars and can it without cooking before. You cook it in the jar anyway so why cook it twice?