View Full Version : How to Perform CPR video

hawgrider
01-28-2015, 10:06 AM
If you don't know how ...... Learn it.
It could save a loved ones life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422411861&v=cosVBV96E2g&x-yt-cl=84924572

Pauls
01-28-2015, 01:15 PM
That was how I was taught to do CPR the first time I learned. The last class we were told to use only chest compressions. No more breathing for the victim. The reasoning is that the chest compressions should move air into and out of the lungs in a more natural way and that less air is introduced to the stomach so there is less chance for vomit to block the airway.

I agree that you should get CPR training and keep it current.

Sparkyprep
01-28-2015, 03:07 PM
That was how I was taught to do CPR the first time I learned. The last class we were told to use only chest compressions. No more breathing for the victim. The reasoning is that the chest compressions should move air into and out of the lungs in a more natural way and that less air is introduced to the stomach so there is less chance for vomit to block the airway.

I agree that you should get CPR training and keep it current.

The last class I took (about 3 months ago) also said that you could skip the rescue breathing, and only do the chest compressions. However, the reasoning behind the change was due to people feeling uneasy about mouth to mouth contact with someone who may have unknown diseases. The mouth to mouth was still taught, and recommended for victims with a known medical history (such as a family member).

Get certified, and keep your certification up, so you can keep up to date with the latest info.

DerBiermeister
01-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Listen folks ... CPR techniques and protocol change about as often as you change your underwear.
From 1972 through 1982 I was a Cardiac Technician and EMT. During those years, I would bet the protocol changed at least 10 times for the ratio of compressions to breaths, how to do the breaths, and of course constant changes regarding infants. I imagine constant change continues today.

Over those years I probably performed CPR at least 30 times on real patients -- lost track of the actual number. Usually in the back of an ambulance high-tailing it to the ER. Very tough to do it exactly perfect when you are being bounced around front to back and sideways. A typical scenario would go like this ... you get a call for a full arrest. You arrive at the scene and the patient is ALWAYS (or seemed that way) upstairs in a bedroom. You start the CPR and must continue it while other squad members are getting the patient on the gurney. The stairway is ALWAYS narrow (don't ask me why) but you must continue the CPR while getting the gurney down the stairs, and then through the rooms, out the front door, down the steps, into the ambulance, etc., etc. Usually the patient is elderly -- not always, but often enough. Their bones are fragile and you WILL be breaking some ribs.

I don't know what the survival rate is today, but back then it was only like maybe 1 in 4 to reach the ER. One thing that DID happen was that because of Advanced Life Support training, more patients were dying in the hospital. I.e., you sustain their life enough so that some actually arrive at the ER alive, but the prognosis is poor.

I don't know what the protocol is today, but I know how I did things and how I was trained. And back then, we would always perform on a full arrest what was known as a precordial Thump, before beginning CPR. This is because often a patient in full arrest is in v-fib or v-tach (ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia), you can't find a pulse because it is actually so rapid. The thump supposedly will cause the heart to stop momentarily ... and if it works (a big IF), normal sinus rhythm will start up. Today, all squads are equipped with Defib machines and they also found in many public settings. However, the chances are high that if you witness an arrest or happen to be first on the scene just as a civilian, you will not have a defibrillator handy. So -- I know what I would do, no matter what the protocol is today -- I would DO the thump. Like I said, I probably saw the protocol on just the Thump change 2 or 3 times in my CT career. This stuff like CPR changes so fast, it is hard to keep up with it. But mostly it is all just somewhat minor variations of a basic technique.

I certainly encourage everyone to learn CPR and practice it often. By be advised that when you actually have to perform it on a real person, it is substantially different than practicing on a dummy, or if a live baby -- practicing on what amounts to be a doll.

Coppertop
01-28-2015, 09:15 PM
DerBiermeister and Pauls are correct. From the class I just graduated from, Pauls reason is what the compression only CPR is for. As an EMT we were taught to do Lifesaver CPR which does include rescue breathing.

If an AED is used within 8 min, the survival of the victim goes up substantially. I don't remember the exact numbers on the survival rate. Just FYI

DerBiermeister, I would like to know more about the Thump and how you are performing it. I understand if you wouldn't want to do any "training" over the net but I would appreciate any info you would feel comfortable giving.

DerBiermeister
01-28-2015, 11:12 PM
DerBiermeister, I would like to know more about the Thump and how you are performing it. I understand if you wouldn't want to do any "training" over the net but I would appreciate any info you would feel comfortable giving.

This is a pretty good write-up on it ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_thump

The only thing I would add is that on an adult, instead of just aiming for the center of the sternum, there is an alternative way of getting the right location -- you stick your elbow in the persons belly button, make a fist with your hand, and lower the boom hard.

However -- pay attention to the CAUTIONS in that article. They now claim that depending on the patient, you can actually make things worse. But -- I am still from the old school. If it's a full arrest and you're dealing with severe v-fib, you'll soon be looking at asystole if you don't attempt it. Thankfully, people are protected by the Good Samaritan laws if you are actually trying to save a person's life and things go awry.

hawgrider
01-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Bottom line is - If you do nothing you know what the end result is. If you perform some sort of CPR technique it is better than doing nothing.