PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes ya just gotta make a life change...

Inor
08-12-2021, 09:04 PM
For almost 30 years, the only credit card I have had is an American Express. I never thought much about them, but I liked them because they did not impose a pre-set limit on me and they require me to pay in full every month. It is an arrangement that has worked very well. Today I learned they are going "full woke". I am sure they have always been lefties but they never wore it as a badge of honor so I never cared as long as I got the customer service I wanted. But now I think I need to change my relationship with them.

https://about.americanexpress.com/all-news/news-details/2020/American-Express-Announces-1-Billion-Action-Plan-to-Promote-Racial-Ethnic-and-Gender-Equity-for-Colleagues-Customers-and-Communities/default.aspx

Do any of you have a credit card company that you are in love with or that you think does a really great job? Since I am not traveling any more, I do not need a huge line of credit or great rewards. Mostly it is just for convenience since I pay the bill off every month.

juskom95
08-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Every single one of them seems to be FULL-WOKE anymore.

I had a USAA card for around ten years, with no problems and they would always pre-authorize it when I was traveling abroad. I only cancelled it as part of the divorce settlement (her name was on it) otherwise I would still have it.

Dwight55
08-13-2021, 01:46 AM
Some years back I picked up a Master Card when I had some issues with my Bankamericard.

It's with the 1st National Bank of Omaha.

Use it for several hundred every month . . . pay it off every month . . . we both seem happy with the arrangement.

May God bless,
Dwight

Prepared One
08-13-2021, 05:20 AM
They are all "Woke". I eliminated all credit cards years ago save one. I carry one personnel VISA card with a high limit and no balance. It's strictly a back up and I use it if I am traveling and have to book flights or rent cars, but mostly it sits in my wallet with a zero balance. I do use it occasionally and then pay it of at the end of the month to keep it active.

For business they issue me an American Express. That's not my call.

The wise guys have nothing on credit cards, they are worse then loansharking and more brutal when you can't pay.

Chiefster23
08-13-2021, 05:39 AM
I’ve cancelled cards before over ‘woke’ issues. My main card is USAA. I keep a local bank card for unforseen emergencies and I have a Chase Amazon card. I know, I know! Both Chase and Amazon suck, but it’s very hard to purchase some items locally so Amazon is pretty much the only alternative.

StratBastard
08-13-2021, 05:45 AM
I have one credit card, which I don't want or need. But since I have carried no debt, and have paid ca$h for everything for 15 years, my credit score was ZERO. So I got the stupid card, bought groceries with it, and paid it off every month. Now my score is near 800. What a lame joke. NO DEBT carries no value with them. Just a certain amount of debt which you service regularly.

juskom95
08-13-2021, 05:48 AM
I know, I know! Both Chase and Amazon suck, but it’s very hard to purchase some items locally so Amazon is pretty much the only alternative.

That is the killer sometimes. I find myself buying a lot of small items, like electronic parts, switches etc from Amazon. Things that I used to go to radio shack for and the like.

Some things you cannot find locally, or the local variant is three times the price. I'll pay a little more to support a local store, and do when I can, but if the price is double or triple as compared to online (not just Amazon) that is a hard thing to ask.

StratBastard
08-13-2021, 05:56 AM
That is the killer sometimes. I find myself buying a lot of small items, like electronic parts, switches etc from Amazon. Things that I used to go to radio shack for and the like.

Some things you cannot find locally, or the local variant is three times the price. I'll pay a little more to support a local store, and do when I can, but if the price is double or triple as compared to online (not just Amazon) that is a hard thing to ask.

Radio Shack!!! As a musician and vintage amp freak, I would go there frequently trying to hook up some kind of Frankenstein setup together... they always had the adapters I needed LOL. I have a drawer full of that stuff... RCA to mic, mic to 1/4, 1/4 inch to RCA, split RCA to a single 1/4, male/male RCA, female female RCA ect.... I could take cool electronic stuff from the 50's and 60's and tie it into a signal chain with stuff from the 90's.

Slippy
08-13-2021, 06:07 AM
AMEX Member since 1986

If I didn't travel for bidness so much, I'd dump the bastards too.

Every 10 years or so when I buy a new vehicle, I do enjoy messing with the dealership and slapping down the AMEX to buy the vehicle and watching the sales person freak! (note; it has never worked! HA!)

Inor
08-13-2021, 06:11 AM
I have one credit card, which I don't want or need. But since I have carried no debt, and have paid ca$h for everything for 15 years, my credit score was ZERO. So I got the stupid card, bought groceries with it, and paid it off every month. Now my score is near 800. What a lame joke. NO DEBT carries no value with them. Just a certain amount of debt which you service regularly.

We ran into that exact same problem when we moved to AZ. We had not had any debt for years so our credit score was 0. I had all the proceeds from the sale of our MN house in my checkbook as well as the money we normally kept there. In short we had a buttload of cash in the bank. When we moved, we could not get electric or gas hooked up at the rental house because of our proud zero credit score! We had to put about a $400 deposit with the gas and the electric company EACH to even get them to turn the services on. Crazy!

StratBastard
08-13-2021, 06:16 AM
We ran into that exact same problem when we moved to AZ. We had not had any debt for years so our credit score was 0. I had all the proceeds from the sale of our MN house in my checkbook as well as the money we normally kept there. In short we had a buttload of cash in the bank. When we moved, we could not get electric or gas hooked up at the rental house because of our proud zero credit score! We had to put about a $400 deposit with the gas and the electric company EACH to even get them to turn the services on. Crazy!

Ha! Yep! I went to buy a small, modest retirement home of $300,000. Had $250,000 to put down, no debt, and 2 pensions with good investment income on top. Nope. Without that credit score, they won't deal with you. Piss on them... I'll convert a few more assets and pay ca$h. With all the money I have in their bank.

Mad Trapper
08-13-2021, 09:07 AM
They have been forcing plastic on us for a long time. Some stuff you can't get without plastic. What happened to "legal tender for all debts public and private

Fish and Wildlife , and RMV licenses for two. I gladly used plastic and renewed my RMV stuff online, rather than go wait in line wearing a stinking mask. I can still get a sporting license at the local Town Hall or LGS with cash.

The other thing is car/hotel and other rentals

I've got two cards and keep a zero balance at the end of each month. First year interest was about nil on each one, now it's up >20%, but I've never paid a dime in interest.

Not sure if/how "woke jokes" they are? I just checked, their rectums are growing daily...

Innkeeper
08-13-2021, 09:15 AM
Like a few of the others I have a USAA credit card. ....not sure if they ate "woke" given they are a military bank/company. I have never had an issue with it and they have always treated me well.
I also have a local bank card CFCU for the job I got when I retired.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
08-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Ditto Inor and StratMaster, no loans, no credit card for years; zero rating I guess.

In places I don't know I pay cash.

I keep a dedicated separate bank account with a Visa debit card attached, and transfer funds into it when I want to use it. Otherwise it has a low balance in case the card is compromised. They won't get much. :thumb:

Mad Trapper
08-13-2021, 11:48 AM
I've had A-holes with Indian accents, calling up about reducing my credit card debts.........or A-holes calling up about charges to "my Visa" from Amazon.com.

No debt, no Visa, and I don't do business with Bezo

juskom95
08-13-2021, 12:07 PM
I've had A-holes with Indian accents, calling up about reducing my credit card debts.........or A-holes calling up about charges to "my Visa" from Amazon.com.

No debt, no Visa, and I don't do business with Bezo

I've had fun playing with them before, keeping one on the line for almost an hour talking about my mastercard debt (I don't have a mastercard, haven't for over a decade). Including giving him known fake/test numbers (they won't work) and listening to him get frustrated.

I know I have won when they swear at me. Then, I call them back and ask for the same operator . . . . .

Mad Trapper
08-13-2021, 01:10 PM
I've had fun playing with them before, keeping one on the line for almost an hour talking about my mastercard debt (I don't have a mastercard, haven't for over a decade). Including giving him known fake/test numbers (they won't work) and listening to him get frustrated.

I know I have won when they swear at me. Then, I call them back and ask for the same operator . . . . .

I've done that before too, but only when bored and have a few beers in me.

Usually tell them something like "may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your azz........"

Smitty901
08-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Dump them plenty of better ones out there

Sasquatch
08-13-2021, 03:21 PM
These days its easier to make a list of company's that are not woke as opposed to the ones who are.

Denton
08-13-2021, 03:39 PM
For almost 30 years, the only credit card I have had is an American Express. I never thought much about them, but I liked them because they did not impose a pre-set limit on me and they require me to pay in full every month. It is an arrangement that has worked very well. Today I learned they are going "full woke". I am sure they have always been lefties but they never wore it as a badge of honor so I never cared as long as I got the customer service I wanted. But now I think I need to change my relationship with them.

https://about.americanexpress.com/all-news/news-details/2020/American-Express-Announces-1-Billion-Action-Plan-to-Promote-Racial-Ethnic-and-Gender-Equity-for-Colleagues-Customers-and-Communities/default.aspx

Do any of you have a credit card company that you are in love with or that you think does a really great job? Since I am not traveling any more, I do not need a huge line of credit or great rewards. Mostly it is just for convenience since I pay the bill off every month.

I've been watching to see if USBank is woke. Haven't seen anything, yet. Glad, too. Wifey loves shopping their site with the points we rack up.

Denton
08-13-2021, 03:40 PM
Every single one of them seems to be FULL-WOKE anymore.

I had a USAA card for around ten years, with no problems and they would always pre-authorize it when I was traveling abroad. I only cancelled it as part of the divorce settlement (her name was on it) otherwise I would still have it.

You can get another, but they went full retard, too.

juskom95
08-13-2021, 08:36 PM
You can get another, but they went full retard, too.

Not surprised one bit. Every company is full-woke now, which is why I keep my public facing social media (that tied to my real name) obscured.

A credit card is nice to have for emergencies/travel, so I did get another one.

bigwheel
08-13-2021, 10:40 PM
We are mostly Bank of America for the past 30 years or so. They are at least as big of Woke idiots as Am Express but the Warden likes their cash rewards thing. I let her be the family comptroller since I aint good at arithmetic. On a brighter note we beat Am Express out of about 10 k when we went bankrupt in the 80s. Bet they never missed it.

Sparkyprep
08-14-2021, 10:01 AM
Don't have a CC. Never had a CC. It makes my credit suck, but it keeps me out of debt. I owe no one anything.

stevekozak
08-25-2021, 07:02 AM

The only way the prices will be able to come down at the local stores is for people to quit buying online. It is kind of a vicious cycle.

stevekozak
08-25-2021, 07:07 AM
I've been watching to see if USBank is woke. Haven't seen anything, yet. Glad, too. Wifey loves shopping their site with the points we rack up.

Terrible company, actually. I had a friend that worked for them and he had horror stories.

stevekozak
08-25-2021, 07:08 AM
Don't have a CC. Never had a CC. It makes my credit suck, but it keeps me out of debt. I owe no one anything.

This is the way to live!!!!!! Cash is king!!!

juskom95
08-25-2021, 08:03 AM
The only way the prices will be able to come down at the local stores is for people to quit buying online. It is kind of a vicious cycle.

Like I stated though, I'll pay somewhat more. Usually prices are %20-25 more locally, which I don't typically mind, but when the same item, same SKU (and sometimes the same supplier) is %100 or %150 more expensive, that is too much to ask of the middle class person.

Piratesailor
08-25-2021, 08:49 AM
Keep in mind there are really only the big three… Amex, visa and MasterCard.

The rest is just branding from a specific bank. They all go through these systems, including debit cards. The only difference with a debit card is that the big three don’t get their % of the purchase.

Slippy
08-25-2021, 09:11 AM
We are mostly Bank of America for the past 30 years or so. They are at least as big of Woke idiots as Am Express but the Warden likes their cash rewards thing. I let her be the family comptroller since I aint good at arithmetic. On a brighter note we beat Am Express out of about 10 k when we went bankrupt in the 80s. Bet they never missed it.

Sounds like you've been able to keep your comptroller in check since the 80's! Nice job bigwheel! Way to take control of the "warden"! :D

shootbrownelk
08-25-2021, 09:49 AM
I cancelled my Mastercard that I had from Ass-Pro/Cabelas the other day. The snooty bitch that I finally got to talk to tried everything to get me to reconsider. Finally I just said cancel the goddamm card already. She got very short and sarcastic (she tried) with me. Finally got it done & cut up the card. I have a Sheels Visa now, better rewards.

Sparkyprep
08-25-2021, 03:00 PM

I obsessively buy online, but it has nothing to do with price. I can buy any thing I want online, and have it delivered to my house in 2-3 days. Or, my other option is, drive for an hour plus, fight with crowds of disgusting people, including raging, entitled liberals, only to be told by an uninterested, over-payed employee tell me that "we don't carry that, but we can order it for you", or just "we don't carry that". Go home empty-handed (another hour drive). Wait 3 weeks, call original store, find out there is a delay with my order, wait three MORE weeks, drive another hour BACK to the store, only to find out previous employee made my order wrong, and got the wrong item. Drive BACK home, empty-handed, AGAIN.

I'll just do my shopping online, and get what I want / need.

BucketBack
08-25-2021, 03:07 PM
I order online, since I can't find everything on my shopping list in stock in my local WalMart.

1skrewsloose
08-25-2021, 09:13 PM
Ditto on the on-line ordering, needed pads and rotors for wife's car, Value Auto is our in town parts store, they wanted $150 for all, Rockauto sent them to me for $55 total. Thievin bastards!

juskom95
08-26-2021, 06:15 AM
Ditto on the on-line ordering, needed pads and rotors for wife's car, Value Auto is our in town parts store, they wanted $150 for all, Rockauto sent them to me for $55 total. Thievin bastards!

I noticed that a lot with auto parts, and they are often the exact same supplier/manufacturer.

bigwheel
08-26-2021, 06:48 PM
That's Biblical. Neither a borrower or lender be. Or something similar to that.

bigwheel
08-26-2021, 06:51 PM
Sounds like you've been able to keep your comptroller in check since the 80's! Nice job bigwheel! Way to take control of the "warden"! :D

She definitely aint under control yet. Thanks. lol.