PDA

View Full Version : Roma's in a jar.

hawgrider
08-24-2021, 06:27 PM
Half bushel of roma's today. Stewed and water bathed yield was 8 qts.

https://i.imgur.com/ONySQdf.jpg

Slippy
08-24-2021, 07:55 PM

Those will make a great tomato base for soups/chili's/sauces etc this winter! Job well done!

LivoniaDan
08-24-2021, 08:18 PM
Just did a 6 pint batch tonight.... But more to come - - Looks very similar.
Got a smaller garden 7 total tomato plants

Got a TON of small Italian eggplant and red/yellow bell peppers that I am going to process too

hawgrider
08-24-2021, 08:41 PM
Those will make a great tomato base for soups/chili's/sauces etc this winter! Job well done! Yup base for spaghetti and chili or?

Just did a 6 pint batch tonight.... But more to come - - Looks very similar.
Got a smaller garden 7 total tomato plants

Got a TON of small Italian eggplant and red/yellow bell peppers that I am going to process too

I wasn't going to can this year cuz of the move and retirement and all the work that went with it to pull it off but.... considering the fact that this country is going to hell inna hand basket I changed my mind.

Dwight55
08-24-2021, 10:11 PM

(chuckle . . . chuckle) My mother would wear you like an ugly rug . . . you didn't strain out the seeds.

I was 30 years old or so before I ever found out anyone did it another way.

One of her processes was to seive her tomato juice thru cheese cloth . . . and toss the seeds of course.

I still do the same . . . although one year I did allow myself the luxury of running them thru the blender . . . into the jar . . . into the canner . . . and on the shelf.

Didn't taste right with the skin and seeds.

May God bless,
Dwight

Mad Trapper
08-24-2021, 10:22 PM
My tomatoes and a lot of my garden struggled this year. We got 14 inches of rain in July, rained almost every day. I didn't want to spend too much time touching stuff as would spread fungus/bacterial diseases. Tomatoes came through with no diseases, yet, and are just starting to produce well. I hope the 4-5" of rain we got from the hurricane remenants didn't bring any blights or mildews from down south? I won't be canning as much as I'd planted for.

hawgrider
08-25-2021, 07:10 AM
(chuckle . . . chuckle) My mother would wear you like an ugly rug . . . you didn't strain out the seeds.

One of her processes was to seive her tomato juice thru cheese cloth . . . and toss the seeds of course.

I still do the same . . . although one year I did allow myself the luxury of running them thru the blender . . . into the jar . . . into the canner . . . and on the shelf.

May God bless,
Dwight

Skins gone seeds don't bother me. When I eat a tomato I eat the seeds so you say tomatoe and I say tomato.

LivoniaDan
08-25-2021, 07:37 AM

May God bless,
Dwight

Depends on Crushed Tomatoes or Sauce...
Some time you feel like seeds..... sometimes you don't

Mad Trapper
08-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Skins gone seeds don't bother me. When I eat a tomato I eat the seeds so you say tomatoe and I say tomato.

A lot of the nutrients are in the skins as well as fiber.

Michael_Js
08-25-2021, 11:49 AM
Just canned 2 quarts of dehydrated Roma tomatoes - aka sundried tomatoes - yesterday. More to come as the tomatoes are doing Great!! I also roast slices in the oven and we eat them as snacks ;)

Edit: picture of my canned Roma's:

Peace,
Michael J.

hawgrider
08-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Just canned 2 quarts of dehydrated Roma tomatoes - aka sundried tomatoes - yesterday. More to come as the tomatoes are doing Great!! I also roast slices in the oven and we eat them as snacks ;)

Edit: picture of my canned Roma's:

Peace,
Michael J.

Great idea. Those looks delicious!

bigwheel
08-26-2021, 06:55 PM
Mama Mia! That looks Eyetalian! Good job.

Chiefster23
08-26-2021, 08:06 PM
I reduced the amount I canned this year but I am starting to regret that some. The situation in the country is getting more alarming every day. My garden is still producing tomatoes and sweet peppers so I’m going to put up a few more jars of each. Think I will can a dozen jars of chicken tenders, also. My wife normally has a bad case of ‘normalcy bias’, but even she is now becoming alarmed.

hawgrider
08-26-2021, 09:45 PM
I reduced the amount I canned this year but I am starting to regret that some. The situation in the country is getting more alarming every day. My garden is still producing tomatoes and sweet peppers so I’m going to put up a few more jars of each. Think I will can a dozen jars of chicken tenders, also. My wife normally has a bad case of ‘normalcy bias’, but even she is now becoming alarmed.

Canning chicken tenders? Do tell.... please and thank you.

Chiefster23
08-27-2021, 03:28 AM
Just take the chicken and cold pack it in jars. Add water and process in a pressure canner. I sometimes use canned chicken broth instead of plain water, or add a chicken bullion cube to each jar if using plain water. I use chicken tenders cause I’m too freakin lazy to cut up chicken breasts for packing in the jars.

hawgrider
08-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Just take the chicken and cold pack it in jars. Add water and process in a pressure canner. I sometimes use canned chicken broth instead of plain water, or add a chicken bullion cube to each jar if using plain water. I use chicken tenders cause I’m too freakin lazy to cut up chicken breasts for packing in the jars.

Ok roger that. Your using pre cut strips.

Mad Trapper
08-27-2021, 02:41 PM

90 minutes process time? at >240 oC? e.g. 10 psi < 1000 ft elv, 15 psi <

bigwheel
08-27-2021, 11:09 PM
Canning chicken tenders? Do tell.... please and thank you.

Yes please. I'm still trying to figure out all the angles of canning dehydrated tomaters. Thanks.