PDA

View Full Version : Depression Recipes – Simple Meal Ideas for Hard Times

hawgrider
01-29-2015, 10:11 AM
http://cdn.theprepperjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/GreatDepressionRecipes-620x400.jpg

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2015/01/17/depression-recipes-simple-meal-ideas-hard-times/

MrsInor
01-29-2015, 10:26 AM
My mother made creamed tuna on toast almost every Wednesday. I would make it now if I could get Inor to eat peas.

hawgrider
01-29-2015, 10:40 AM
My mother made creamed tuna on toast almost every Wednesday. I would make it now if I could get Inor to eat peas.He wont eat peas!
Tell him he cant have any pudding until he eats his pea's Hahahahahahaha.

Yep Mom made-
Shit on a shingle(creamchipped beef on toast)
That creamed tuna thing with Inors favorite pea's
Slum Gullion
Fried liver and onions EEWWWW! YUUK still hate that!!!
A Lot of mac and cheese made with velveta cheese junk ...LOL
Swiss steak ...... needed a chainsaw to cut that crap up.

Inor-
Try the little itty biddy babies peas and don't over cook em. They are really quite tasty smothered with a stick real butter and a 55 gallon drum of salt on them! I too hated vegges like that but eventually I learned to like them. In fact I really like the peas now but they cant be those over sized nasty canned peas. Frozen or fresh way better.

MrsInor
01-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Inor. Will. Not. Eat. Peas. Small or large he will not eat them. My mother's swiss steak was wonderful. We had a meatloaf once a week. Then one night we would get the frozen tv dinner or pot pie because of Ed Sullivan show.

hawgrider
01-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Inor. Will. Not. Eat. Peas. Small or large he will not eat them. My mother's swiss steak was wonderful. We had a meatloaf once a week. Then one night we would get the frozen tv dinner or pot pie because of Ed Sullivan show.Well I'll just hop a greyhound and come up there and help you hold him down and we will shove em down his throat till he begs for more LOL!!!!!

MrsInor
01-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Well I'll just hop a greyhound and come up there and help you hold him down and we will shove em down his throat till he begs for more LOL!!!!!

You get to clean up the - uh - resulting regurgitation.

Inor
01-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Well I'll just hop a greyhound and come up there and help you hold him down and we will shove em down his throat till he begs for more LOL!!!!!

Peas and I just do not get along. It is completely involuntary too. But as soon as they hit my stomach it is like instant explosion. It is not even a little bit either. This is that heavy duty industrial strength projectile vomit stuff. I am not exaggerating either. Ask Mrs Inor.

hawgrider
01-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Peas and I just do not get along. It is completely involuntary too. But as soon as they hit my stomach it is like instant explosion. It is not even a little bit either. This is that heavy duty industrial strength projectile vomit stuff. I am not exaggerating either. Ask Mrs Inor.Oh bummer that's crazy never heard of a pea allergy .... Damn! Well your off the hook projectile vomit is no good. lol

hawgrider
01-29-2015, 01:03 PM
You get to clean up the - uh - resulting regurgitation.Cancelled bus ticket.

Pauls
01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
I grew up in a large family - there were twelve of us kids (no twins) and Dad liked "meat-n-taters" but when dad was out of town we had all the "goodies" that we din't get when dad was eating.
We got "tuna caserole", canned tuna, cream of celery soup and sea-shell macaroni and peas. I still make it ocassionally.
We had "hash" and not from a can. We ground everything in the fridge through a meat grinder and fried it in a pan - a very large cast iron frying pan - It was wonderful! The first time I had corned beef hash I almost gagged - too much salt and enough oil to supply a truck. All the veggies were missing from it too. Don't they know how to make "hash"? :)
Mom made Split-pea soup. It was great! It had the slightest hint og ham in it from a bone from the ham we had days before and was made with water and no milk. Sometimes there was a bit of meat cut up and added but not normally.
For dessert, we would have "cat food". It was whipped cream and graham crackers. It literally looked like cat food but it was marvelous!
I remember one time when mom made "freezer cookies" for dessert. It must have taken her hours to make it because it was some chocolate snap cookies with ice cream spread between them in a long log affair. There were four rows in a 9x12 cake pan and we each got the same amount-about a 4" x 2" roll of cookies and ice cream.

I had no idea that the food was "budget" food. It was all good and we had enough to eat. I just figured everyone ate the same foods - for a long time.

I think I will make some "cat food" and see if my brother remembers it. I figure my wife will eat it - it's whip cream...

Sparkyprep
01-29-2015, 09:02 PM
I remember hunting for quail with my dad in the pastures when I was a kid. I thought it was fun, and hanging out with my dad. It wasn't until I was grown that I realized that we hunted for quail when there wasn't enough money for meat for dinner. It is funny how you don't realize everything your parents went through to raise you, until after they are done.

I still love hunting quail in the pastures.

OldCrow
01-29-2015, 10:29 PM
I grew up with parents who went thru the great depression, so, I grew up with a lot of this style of cooking. Brings back memories, thanks for posting.

Inor
01-29-2015, 10:40 PM
I remember hunting for quail with my dad in the pastures when I was a kid. I thought it was fun, and hanging out with my dad. It wasn't until I was grown that I realized that we hunted for quail when there wasn't enough money for meat for dinner. It is funny how you don't realize everything your parents went through to raise you, until after they are done.

I still love hunting quail in the pastures.

Great story Sparky. From this and your post on the cow butchering "party", your old man is definitely one of the good guys. You too.

Arklatex
01-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Peas and I just do not get along. It is completely involuntary too. But as soon as they hit my stomach it is like instant explosion. It is not even a little bit either. This is that heavy duty industrial strength projectile vomit stuff. I am not exaggerating either. Ask Mrs Inor.
Sounds like a mental disorder. You were that kid at the dinner table who launched his peas at his little sister with a spoon weren't you?

Arklatex
01-29-2015, 10:49 PM
Btw great thread and thanks for posting.

Inor
01-29-2015, 10:53 PM
I blow peas at anybody that is sitting still!

Sparkyprep
01-30-2015, 04:42 AM
Great story Sparky. From this and your post on the cow butchering "party", your old man is definitely one of the good guys. You too.

I'm a good guy. My dad is the best guy.

RWalls
02-06-2015, 08:26 AM
I love peas, I hate tuna...