PDA

View Full Version : Generator Genius' Get In Here.

KnuteFartne
09-23-2021, 12:50 PM
Gonna buy a genny this weekend and I'm heavily leaning towards the Honda EU3000iS. Kinda pricey though.

So what generator do you have and would you buy it again or go with something else?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Piratesailor
09-23-2021, 01:07 PM
I have a powerland 10kw three fuel genset and I’d buy another. It’s served me well through hurricanes and power failures and runs most of the house/property. I’ve run it on petrol, natural gas and propane. It’s heavy but portable on wheels so I keep it in the garage until needed then hook it up to a transfer switch and runs the house.

MountainGirl
09-23-2021, 01:09 PM
Gonna buy a genny this weekend and I'm heavily leaning towards the Honda EU3000iS. Kinda pricey though.

So what generator do you have and would you buy it again or go with something else?

I'm not a genius by far, but we bought the Honda EU7000iS in 2016, not one problem ever. Whatever you get make sure it has electric start. If you go with the Honda, change the oil every 100 hours. I just changed ours, easy peasy, it has 1611hrs so far. Place it where you have easy access to both sides. Paid $4300 for it, and if I was flush I'd buy another for backup even though it likely wouldn't be needed. Yes, it's that good.

Chiefster23
09-23-2021, 01:44 PM
I have a Honda EU2000. Love it! I would probably go larger if I bought another, but definitely a Honda.

BucketBack
09-23-2021, 02:59 PM
Crapsman 5300, keeps the heat, water on. Lights are candles.

It has started on the first one or two pull since 2009. I'd go bigger next time

Mad Trapper
09-23-2021, 03:52 PM
https://greenmountaingenerators.com/

MEP803

hawgrider
09-23-2021, 04:05 PM
Go big or go home. You'll want to run the whole house and some...

Sparkyprep
09-23-2021, 04:58 PM

Runs the whole house, A/C and all. Go big, or go home. This is what I run.

DuraMax 13,000 watt, dual fuel. Runs on gasoline, or propane.

Got it on sale at Lowe's last year.

Slippy
09-23-2021, 05:40 PM
Sparky has a good one!^^^

We have the DuraMax 4400EH Dual Fuel and the Champion 3400 w/Inverter Dual Fuel. Added a Transfer Switch last year or so and I'd highly recommend it.

I have never run either genny on gasoline, LP gas only. My opinion is that LP gas is the way to go! Much cleaner, easier and LP gas never goes bad nor does it gum up anything like corn fuel does.

rstanek
09-23-2021, 05:59 PM
I own two Honda 3000 Handi inverters, I parallel them together to get full 30 amps for my camper, with a companion gas tank I can run them for about 12 hrs before refueling, spendy but no regrets, 80 lbs each so there easy to get in and out of the truck

SOCOM42
09-23-2021, 06:08 PM
Sparky has a good one!^^^

We have the DuraMax 4400EH Dual Fuel and the Champion 3400 w/Inverter Dual Fuel. Added a Transfer Switch last year or so and I'd highly recommend it.

I have never run either genny on gasoline, LP gas only. My opinion is that LP gas is the way to go! Much cleaner, easier and LP gas never goes bad nor does it gum up anything like corn fuel does.

I have the same DuraMax generator, never used gasoline in it, just propane, it is the one I use the most.

There is a backup to it, 2,500w gas only. used it for years, two oil burners and a fridge and freezer.

Then I have a Coleman 7,500w gas job that is 30 years old, never run it,

no need to, it sits dry today, ready if needed.

Then I have a USGI Diesel that is 25 kw, 3 phase, set up to run shop if needed,

have never used it, just test it every year.

The only things that need to be run are two oil burners, two refrigerators and two freezer chest.

The lights will come off of that also, but they are really not needed,

have plenty of oil and kerosene lamps for that.

The 4,400 will do the job nicely and is not too thirsty.

I bought the dual fuel for the propane side, stuff stores forever,

have 10 twenty five pounders for it and 6, 100 pound tanks.

The hundreds are backups for the backup heaters or the kitchen stove.

I back feed through a 50 amp welding outlet,

#8 SO wire for feed from genset

(use same as an extension for the MIG welder when I need to take it outside).

The Coleman has its own wiring underground to the distribution panel.

Why go too big on a genset? All you will be doing is burning needed fuel making power that will go unused.

BucketBack
09-23-2021, 06:14 PM
I haven't lit my LP furnaces yet, it will be cold 2nite. I'll sleep on a electric heating pad 2nite, with a heavy wool blanky.

Innkeeper
09-23-2021, 07:19 PM
I haven't lit my LP furnaces yet, it will be cold 2nite. I'll sleep on a electric heating pad 2nite, with a heavy wool blanky.It is 50 here right now but supposed to be 70 again tomorrow. Was 45 when I woke up this morning. I will not turn my furnace on yet trying to hold out until mid Oct. But I have good insulation.....though I do need to get a good generator for backup so I have been keeping tabs on all the comments and will do some research and shopping this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Modfan
09-23-2021, 07:30 PM
I have craftsman 4500. I bought used in 96' It has a Honda motor and just keeps chugging along. I have stationary LPG Gillette 12kw that I need to put a new stator on and I have a 50kw Mecc Alte genend I need to stick on a 350 someday.

Sasquatch
09-23-2021, 08:50 PM
It is 50 here right now but supposed to be 70 again tomorrow. Was 45 when I woke up this morning. I will not turn my furnace on yet trying to hold out until mid Oct. But I have good insulation.....though I do need to get a good generator for backup so I have been keeping tabs on all the comments and will do some research and shopping this weekend.

Was 77 here today at 6 am.

Inor
09-23-2021, 10:32 PM

Are they even available in your area? If so, snap it up ASAP!

The reason I ask is because I spoke to a guy about an estimate on a 22kw Generac system for M.T. Acres. They were saying it is 6-9 MONTHS backlog to even get the generator and maybe the parts for installation. (Of course, they want my money up front, not when the unit comes in. - Good luck trying to get a timely install 9 months after they have already pissed away my money on cheap whiskey and whores. So I did not pull the trigger yet.)

Sasquatch
09-23-2021, 11:36 PM
Are they even available in your area? If so, snap it up ASAP!

The reason I ask is because I spoke to a guy about an estimate on a 22kw Generac system for M.T. Acres. They were saying it is 6-9 MONTHS backlog to even get the generator and maybe the parts for installation. (Of course, they want my money up front, not when the unit comes in. - Good luck trying to get a timely install 9 months after they have already pissed away my money on cheap whiskey and whores. So I did not pull the trigger yet.)

Portable Gennys are available because I have seen them. As for the kind you're talking about I'm not sure. Me and Lady Sas talked about getting one of those but ultimately decided not to since we plan to be out of this godforsaken cesspool in 5-6 years. Maybe sooner if forced.

Prepared One
09-24-2021, 04:59 AM
Dual fuel is the way to go. Propane is much easier to store and it is cleaner. My Generator will run the whole house, just plug and play.

Mad Trapper
09-24-2021, 05:01 AM
Most diesel Mil gennys have fuel pumps. If you have fuel oil heat thats usually a 275 gal tank when full. The smaller ones , 3 KW have Yanmar 016D engines which sip fuel

MEP802A 5kW Military Diesel Generator with ASK. 0.57-gal/hr onan diesel

Identification Data
Description 5 kW TQG, 60 Hz, DED, Skid Mtd 5 kW TQG, DED, 400Hz, Skid Mtd
Model MEP-802A MEP-812A
NSN 6115-01-274-7387 6115-01-274-7391
LIN G11966 G12102
Specification MIL-DTL-53133/1 MIL-DTL-53133/2
SSN M53500 M53500
Trailer mounted configurations PU- 797A: Figure A-6; AN/MJQ- 35A: Figure A-7and; AN/MJQ-36: Figure A-8 None
Physical Characteristics
Dimensions LWH (in) 51 x 32 x 37 (Cube:34 ft3)
Wet Weight (lbs) 888 911
Engine Onan DN2M Diesel, 2 cylinder/4 stroke, 11.0hp @1800 RPM, 24VDC start, liquid-cooled.
Instrumentation Hour meter, voltmeter, frequency, amps (% RL), oil pressure, fuel, coolant temp, battery amps, emergency stop, battle short
Fuels Diesel DL-1, DL-2; Jet Fuel JP-8
Fuel Capacity Fuel tank: 5 gallons
Performance Characteristics
Power Rating 5kW, 0.8 pf @ 4000ft/120°F; 110% Max Power; De-rate: 3.5%/1000 ft from 4000 to 8000 ft
Environmental Capability -25°F (-50°F with Winterization Kit) to 125°F, rain, humidity, altitude, sand/dust, transportation, cold storage: -60°F, salt spray, fungus, 15° incline.
Protective Devices Automatic shut down with emergency bypass for low oil pressure, coolant high-temp, no fuel, and over-voltage.
Fuel Consumption 0.57 gph @ rated load. 0.56 gph @ rated load.
Human Factors MIL-STD-1474.
Noise 70 dBA @ 7 meters (23 ft).
Reliability (MTBF) 486 hr @ 80% LCL 479 hr @ 80% LCL
Maintenance Ratio less than 0.05
Electrical Characteristics
Connection 120/240V, 1ph, 3 wire 120V, 1ph, 2 wire 120/208V, 3ph, 4 wire
Voltage Adj Range 228 –252 V 114 – 126 V 205 –220 V
Frequency Adj Range ±3%
Electrical Drip-proof generator enclosure, fungus & moisture treated, solid state voltage regulator, brushless rotary exciter, solderless connectors, 60Hz: Onan alternator, 4 pole; 400Hz: Onan alternator, 24 pole. Convenience receptacle on 60Hz set.
Electrical Performance
Electric Power Quality AC Voltage Frequency
Regulation 3% 3%
Modulation 2.5%
Short term steady state stability (30 sec) 2% bandwidth 2% bandwidth
Long term steady state stability (4 hr) 4% bandwidth 3% bandwidth
Appl./rejection of rated load, recovery time 20% dip/rise, 3 sec 3% under/4% over, 3 sec
Motor load 35% dip, 5 sec to 95% init volt
Max waveform deviation factor 6% (1 phase); 5% (3 phase)
Individual waveform harmonic 3% (1 phase); 2% (3 phase)
EMI Meets MIL-STD-461C, Part 9
EMP HAEMP IAW MIL-STD-2169

https://greenmountaingenerators.com/product/mep802a-5kw-military-diesel-generator/

Piratesailor
09-24-2021, 08:42 AM
Good advice here.

Go big. Get the largest one you can afford.

Dual fuel is the way to go. Even tri-fuel. Especially if you have natural gas to your house.

The duramax is a good unit. Friend bought one and love it.

Slippy
09-24-2021, 05:39 PM
Portable Gennys are available because I have seen them. As for the kind you're talking about I'm not sure. Me and Lady Sas talked about getting one of those but ultimately decided not to since we plan to be out of this godforsaken cesspool in 5-6 years. Maybe sooner if forced.

Sas my boy,

You can always take any generator with you when you move!

And since you live in a very nice climate, get a 3-5k +/- dual fuel inverter generator and a transfer switch to your electrical panel and you will be good to go.

Sasquatch
09-24-2021, 08:26 PM
Sas my boy,

You can always take any generator with you when you move!

And since you live in a very nice climate, get a 3-5k +/- dual fuel inverter generator and a transfer switch to your electrical panel and you will be good to go.

My only reservation with plugging it into my house is my panel is located in the front of my house. If things did go sideways I don't want people to see my generator sitting out there running.

MountainGirl
09-24-2021, 08:42 PM
My only reservation with plugging it into my house is my panel is located in the front of my house. If things did go sideways I don't want people to see my generator sitting out there running.

Wherever it is, plugged into your house or not, they'll hear it running.
Put it where it'll be easiest to protect/guard.
Open structure with a roof cover is nice, too.
And not in the garage either, lol.

Prepared One
09-24-2021, 08:47 PM

You can have the plug dropped anywhere around the house. Have the electrician drop the plug in back of the house, or anywhere you want. My panel is on the side of the house but I had the electrician drop the plug around back where it is more accessible and I can hide the generator easier. The lockouts go in your main panel, or anywhere really, if you want to spend the money. Sound attenuation will be your main problem when they turn the lights out, but there are ways to mitigate that.

Sasquatch
09-25-2021, 12:13 AM
You can have the plug dropped anywhere around the house. Have the electrician drop the plug in back of the house, or anywhere you want. My panel is on the side of the house but I had the electrician drop the plug around back where it is more accessible and I can hide the generator easier. The lockouts go in your main panel, or anywhere really, if you want to spend the money. Sound attenuation will be your main problem when they turn the lights out, but there are ways to mitigate that.

My buddy has the same one I'm looking at and we would take it camping. We'd place it 10-15 feet off the campsite and barely hear it.

Slippy
09-25-2021, 06:43 AM

Your electrical main panel for your entire house is located outside?

Even so, like Prepared One said, drop the plug around back and wire accordingly thru the house. That way you can hide the generator and take appropriate measures to mask the sound.

Mad Trapper
09-25-2021, 08:10 AM
I need to get a genny too. Main things would be run a well pump, freezer/fridge, power for furnace.

I've looked in both the 3 KW and 5KW military diesels with the ASK noise kits.

I think the 3KW would be right on the edge of running the well pump so might have to have other breakers shut off if running water? It's a lot more portable too. Both my places have oil furnaces so could run them off the 275-gal tanks. I can't afford one for each place right now.

Anybody ran these?

shootbrownelk
09-25-2021, 08:11 AM
Your electrical main panel for your entire house is located outside?

Even so, like Prepared One said, drop the plug around back and wire accordingly thru the house. That way you can hide the generator and take appropriate measures to mask the sound.

My main electrical panel is outside too, in the back of the house.

MountainGirl
09-25-2021, 09:22 AM
My main electrical panel is outside too, in the back of the house.

That seems strange to me. I could see a secondary main shut-off being outside, but the panel with all the house circuits run to it? So what happens if you trip a breaker? Run outside to flip it? What am I missing here?

Innkeeper
09-25-2021, 09:39 AM
Seems odd to me also, my main panel is in the garage.

stevekozak
09-25-2021, 10:09 AM
That seems strange to me. I could see a secondary main shut-off being outside, but the panel with all the house circuits run to it? So what happens if you trip a breaker? Run outside to flip it? What am I missing here?

It really is not that uncommon, especially with older houses.

Chiefster23
09-25-2021, 10:26 AM
I have a 3 kw military surplus genny. It does not have the sound damping enclosure and this baby is LOUD! All furnace oil around here is low sulfur (just like road diesel) so I also plan on using the furnace oil tank as the main fuel source in case of emergency. I can tie both my Honda and/or my diesel into my main house panel in a long term emergency. But I don’t have the approved transfer switch set up as I just don’t see the necessity of spending that money now. In short term outages, I just run extension cords where I need power. In a long term outage I have the knowledge of how to feed power to the house without ever chancing a back feed into the grid. It’s not rocket science.

Prepared One
09-25-2021, 10:30 AM
My buddy has the same one I'm looking at and we would take it camping. We'd place it 10-15 feet off the campsite and barely hear it.

Lot's of ways to address sound attenuation. You can even buy fiberglass tip covers with vents and a sound attenuation rating.

Prepared One
09-25-2021, 10:34 AM
I have a 3 kw military surplus genny. It does not have the sound damping enclosure and this baby is LOUD! All furnace oil around here is low sulfur (just like road diesel) so I also plan on using the furnace oil tank as the main fuel source in case of emergency. I can tie both my Honda and/or my diesel into my main house panel in a long term emergency. But I don’t have the approved transfer switch set up as I just don’t see the necessity of spending that money now. In short term outages, I just run extension cords where I need power. In a long term outage I have the knowledge of how to feed power to the house without ever chancing a back feed into the grid. It’s not rocket science.

You can simply back feed through your dryer connection. That's what a lot of people do. Just make sure your breakers are off when the power comes back, if it comes back.

Inor
09-25-2021, 11:14 AM

Our house panel is on the outside. It seemed weird to me at first, but that is how they build houses here. Having lived with it that now for a few years, I actually prefer it to being inside like our MN house. It is much easier to get into the panel to do stuff. Also, the panel is quite a bit larger than if it were inside so we have much more space inside to keep the wires nice and neat.

Going outside to flip a breaker is usually not much of an issue.

When I built Mrs Inor's she shack, I did put that box on the inside. But that is just a little bitty 60 amp thing. So I hid it behind the door.

MountainGirl
09-25-2021, 11:22 AM
Our house panel is on the outside. It seemed weird to me at first, but that is how they build houses here. Having lived with it that now for a few years, I actually prefer it to being inside like our MN house. It is much easier to get into the panel to do stuff. Also, the panel is quite a bit larger than if it were inside so we have much more space inside to keep the wires nice and neat.

When I built Mrs Inor's she shack, I did put that box on the inside. But that is just a little bitty 60 amp thing. So I hid it behind the door.

My main hesitation would be keeping it protected from the elements: rain, humidity, etc... but then you don't have them there, or snow to tromp through to flip a breaker, lol

Inor
09-25-2021, 11:50 AM
My main hesitation would be keeping it protected from the elements: rain, humidity, etc... but then you don't have them there, or snow to tromp through to flip a breaker, lol

I thought that might be an issue too, but it has not been so far. The panel for our well is out in the middle of a field with one box for the power and another for the computer to control the well. I thought the sensitive electronics for the controller might be an issue. But so far (knock wood), that has not even been a problem - even when it got hit by lightning. I guess the 21st century is good for something after all eh? :biglaugh:

Mad Trapper
09-25-2021, 12:00 PM

One reasons the enclosed military geenys are what I'm considering. I'd still put a vented enclosure around it to hide it. Supposed to even have some EMP protection

Slippy
09-25-2021, 02:02 PM
When I was a dopey kid, I would have had a blast messing with the neighbors if any of them had their electrical panel OUTSIDE their house! :biglaugh:

shootbrownelk
09-25-2021, 05:19 PM

That's what I have to do Mountain Girl. My house is over 100 years old, it had the fabric wrapped wiring and the old style round knob light switches that you turn on/off when we bought it. And this is Wyoming after all.

shootbrownelk
09-25-2021, 05:22 PM
When I was a dopey kid, I would have had a blast messing with the neighbors if any of them had their electrical panel OUTSIDE their house! :biglaugh:

And perhaps a 12 gauge blast had the homeowner caught you. Anyone in my backyard would have to climb an 8 ft. fence or break into my shop to have access to that panel. He'd be hurtin' or dead.

shootbrownelk
09-25-2021, 05:26 PM

Just things that you get accustomed to doing. Our house in Wisconsin had the box down in a damp/humid basement. I prefer outside now.

Sparkyprep
09-25-2021, 06:53 PM
Some electrical panels are rated to be mounted outside, in the weather, while others are not. The panel's NEMA rating is what tells you what it is rated for.

Inor
09-25-2021, 08:30 PM
Just things that you get accustomed to doing. Our hose in Wisconsin had the box down in a damp/humid basement. I prefer outside now.

That is what our MN house had too. It was a pain in the ass any time we did anything to it.

Sasquatch
09-26-2021, 12:16 AM

I welcome any kid in my neighborhood to give it a go. That way I can laugh my ass off when my pitbull gets a hold of them.

The main panel is outside. I have an electrical panel with breakers on the inside. My main panel sits under an eve so it is somewhat protected from the elements. Weather doesn't change much here. Sunny most days and rains a few times a year.

SOCOM42
09-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Here is a picture of the welder receptacle and one of the 220 plug along side a hospital grade 110 plug for comparison.

My main distribution panels are inside,

I have a secondary system that feeds another area with an outside box that is locked.

Maybe I will post some pictures.

SOCOM42
09-30-2021, 01:07 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of some gas and propane storage along with some Coleman fuel cans.

There are 8, 20# propane tanks, 40 gallons of gas in 5 gal. cans

and 25 gallons of Coleman fuel on two shelves in this shelter.

Sasquatch
10-19-2021, 11:39 PM
Ended up getting this Duromax. Was going to go with a Champion but they wouldn't ship it to CA for some reason. Then I decided to have it shipped to a friends in AZ but they were out of stock. The reviews on the Duromax were good and I'm pretty happy with my choice.

stevekozak
10-20-2021, 07:03 AM
Ended up getting this Duromax. Was going to go with a Champion but they wouldn't ship it to CA for some reason. Then I decided to have it shipped to a friends in AZ but they were out of stock. The reviews on the Duromax were good and I'm pretty happy with my choice.

I don't even see that one on their website. Did you get the electric start?

KnuteFartne
10-20-2021, 09:41 AM
I don't even see that one on their website. Did you get the electric start?Yep. Electric start, dual fuel, inverter. It also has remote start but that kinda seems like a gimmick. I guess its handy if it's cold out and you dont want to leave the house to turn it on.

Slippy
10-20-2021, 05:40 PM

Excellent!

Prepared One
10-20-2021, 05:40 PM
Yep. Electric start, dual fuel, inverter. It also has remote start but that kinda seems like a gimmick. I guess its handy if it's cold out and you dont want to leave the house to turn it on.

You can't go wrong with Duel fuel. Propane is so much easier to store, cleaner, and easy to use. Electric start is good. Not sure about the remote start.

SOCOM42
10-20-2021, 11:34 PM
You can't go wrong with Duel fuel. Propane is so much easier to store, cleaner, and easy to use. Electric start is good. Not sure about the remote start.

I would consider the remote as useless. How do you switch on the main breaker on the genset??

You have to fudge with the mixture to get them started,

plus you need a good shot of propane to fill the carb area.

Mine takes a certain position to start and a 1/4 inch move for running.

I guess it is a choke I am playing with, never checked it out.

What surprises me is how clean the engine oil after running for a while.