PDA

View Full Version : Safest Way To Load a Dead Vehicle On A Trailer?

Slippy
09-25-2021, 04:53 PM
Allright you knuckleheads, its been years since I've participated in loading a car that won't run on a trailer and if memory serves, I'm pretty sure we did it the drunk redneck way...in other words a handful of drunk rednecks pushed the car up the trailer ramps.

My brother called to tell me that he blew the engine in his old Jeep and asked me to haul it to a mechanic 200 miles away...so my "pushing cars up ramps" days are over and now we're trying to figure out the safest way to load the Jeep.

I'm thinking 2 Come-A-Longs and 2 Snatch Blocks since my trailer does not have a winch. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I was hoping that the service station where my brother parked the Jeep might have a way to load it, but my brother says that is a no-go.

Any thoughts?

Michael_Js
09-25-2021, 05:27 PM
Push it up with another, larger, vehicle ;)

Your idea sounds like a good one too ;)

Peace,
Michael J.

shootbrownelk
09-25-2021, 05:51 PM
Push it up with another, larger, vehicle ;)

Your idea sounds like a good one too ;)

Peace,
Michael J.

If you're pushing the dead vehicle up ramps on an angle, that will never work without damage to one or both vehicles.

stevekozak
09-25-2021, 05:59 PM
If you have a tractor with forks, you could push it up and adjust the angle as necessary to avoid damage. I mean, it is a Jeep...

You can use a couple of old tires as buffers is you are afraid of scratches.

Jester-ND
09-25-2021, 06:12 PM
pulley on front of trailer, hook rope to front of car, run through pulley and under car, hook to pickup rear behind car.. pull pickup away from car..... pulling car forward..

Jester-ND
09-25-2021, 06:14 PM
or push jeep to an approach... park trailer perpendicular in the ditch.. and hand push it on while almost level.

Jester-ND
09-25-2021, 06:15 PM
lots of breakdowns on my job

red442joe
09-25-2021, 06:36 PM
or push jeep to an approach... park trailer perpendicular in the ditch.. and hand push it on while almost level.

Really good answer here!
My contribution is this;
If the motor will spin, and
If the battery is good,
Put it in 4Lo and 1st gear, and
Crank it up.
You may have to disable clutch safety switch.
If it's one of those two-pedal defective wrecks for crippled-legged palsy people yer best bet is Jesters way.

Joe

Dwight55
09-25-2021, 06:51 PM
I have no idea why you would need 2 come alongs. One $19.95 come along from Harbor Freight should pull it up on there with no trouble.

Put it in neutral . . . hook up the come along . . . start ratcheting.

I pulled up a dead zero turn mower a number of years ago onto a trailer . . . and I'd sure bet there was more resistance on that mower than there will be with the Jeep.

May God bless,

Dwight

Sparkyprep
09-25-2021, 06:56 PM
A "dead" vehicle, while heavy, doesn't need that much force to move it, since it is on wheels. A simple, 1 ton chainfall, or come-along, rigged to the front of the trailer or tow vehicle, will pull it up the trailer's ramp quite easily.

Sparkyprep
09-25-2021, 06:57 PM
Does the dead Jeep have a winch on the bumper? The engine may be dead, but a charged battery will run the winch to pull the Jeep up.

Kusa
09-25-2021, 07:17 PM
I have no idea why you would need 2 come alongs. One $19.95 come along from Harbor Freight should pull it up on there with no trouble.

Put it in neutral . . . hook up the come along . . . start ratcheting.

I pulled up a dead zero turn mower a number of years ago onto a trailer . . . and I'd sure bet there was more resistance on that mower than there will be with the Jeep.

May God bless,

Dwight

I second that.

Inor
09-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Is this your brother-in-law that is the dumbass? If so, my best answer is: "Who cares? It's not your problem."

If this is a brother-in-law or brother that you like, then I would think Dwight's answer would work the easiest.

Mad Trapper
09-25-2021, 09:07 PM
A chainfall or ratcheting chain hoist connected to the truck hitch and the jeep with some logging chains.

I've got a 6-ton ratcheting chain hoist and it's a beast. Will pull a stuck farm tractor out of the mud. I bought it to pull trees I was felling that leaned the wrong way.

For a jeep up a ramp a 1- or 2- ton should be plenty.

Piratesailor
09-25-2021, 09:26 PM
Beer and dynamite. Simple.

Mad Trapper
09-25-2021, 09:33 PM
One other thing if you don't have a come along handy or chain fall/hoist. The Hi-lift farm jacks can be connected to chains and used as a hoist. Slow going though as ~ 4 feet at a time.

Slippy
09-25-2021, 10:24 PM
Is this your brother-in-law that is the dumbass? If so, my best answer is: "Who cares? It's not your problem."

If this is a brother-in-law or brother that you like, then I would think Dwight's answer would work the easiest.

Ha! No, its my brother not brother in law!

Brother is a good dude!

Slippy
09-25-2021, 10:27 PM
Does the dead Jeep have a winch on the bumper? The engine may be dead, but a charged battery will run the winch to pull the Jeep up.

No winch! I thought the same thing!!

Slippy
09-25-2021, 10:28 PM
Beer and dynamite. Simple.

We have a winner!

Mad Trapper
09-25-2021, 10:50 PM
A two ton wench!

hawgrider
09-25-2021, 10:51 PM
A two ton wench!

Dats a big wench roll her in flour...

Inor
09-25-2021, 11:04 PM
A two ton wench!

Great idea! We are getting near the end of the month, so I am sure you can find several lined up near the welfare office.

Dwight55
09-25-2021, 11:56 PM
Great idea! We are getting near the end of the month, so I am sure you can find several lined up near the welfare office.

Wait till the first of the month . . . they'll all be on the handicap carts at Walmart

May God bless,
Dwight

T-Man 1066
09-26-2021, 08:16 AM
https://youtu.be/mrn3Yb3L_iU

I strongly recommend this way!

Your friend, T-Man 1066!

shootbrownelk
09-27-2021, 09:22 AM
I got hurt loading & unloading a car on my 18ft. car hauler and had to have back surgery last fall. When I redecked the trailer this summer, I added a receiver hitch to the front of the trailer on the front rail. I bought a Smitty-bilt 9,500 lb. winch. I used it to load my 37 Pontiac with seized brakes and the winch pulled it up with no problem at all. I can remove it and use it on my SXS or on the back of my Tundra. No more getting hurt with come-a-longs and jacks.

red442joe
09-27-2021, 11:52 AM
I got hurt loading & unloading a car on my 18ft. car hauler and had to have back surgery last fall. When I redecked the trailer this summer, I added a receiver hitch to the front of the trailer on the front rail. I bought a Smitty-bilt 9,500 lb. winch. I used it to load my 37 Pontiac with seized brakes and the winch pulled it up with no problem at all. I can remove it and use it on my SXS or on the back of my Tundra. No more getting hurt with come-a-longs and jacks.

Suffice to say was NOT the way to load it :(
Sorry bout yer back.

Joe

Slippy
09-28-2021, 07:14 PM
https://youtu.be/mrn3Yb3L_iU

I strongly recommend this way!

Your friend, T-Man 1066!

OUCH!

LivoniaDan
09-28-2021, 08:03 PM

Don't know if this is still an issue....
Come-A_Long ? ChainFall?

Don't know where you are...
I got one of each if your close.

shootbrownelk
09-29-2021, 07:29 AM
Say what you want and use whatever you choose to load a dead car on a trailer, but using a winch is the fastest and easiest way to do it. No more busting my ass with come-a-longs a couple feet at a time. I can even load a car with flat tires.

Sparkyprep
09-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Slip, did u ever get it loaded?

LivoniaDan
09-29-2021, 06:38 PM
Dinky Dau?

What does Dinky Dau mean in Vietnamese?

An expression commonly used in Vietnam was, “boocoo dinky dow”, spelled correctly would be “beaucoup dien cai dau” meaning much crazy in the head or perhaps as the Vietnamese may have said, crazy as a kicking rooster, much like the American expression, “mad as a wet hen.” …

What did I do to deserve that? LOL

red442joe
09-30-2021, 05:16 AM
Dinky Dau?

An expression commonly used in Vietnam was, “boocoo dinky dow”, spelled correctly would be “beaucoup dien cai dau” meaning much crazy in the head or perhaps as the Vietnamese may have said, crazy as a kicking rooster, much like the American expression, “mad as a wet hen.” …

Doom on you?

Joe

hawgrider
09-30-2021, 06:34 AM
Dinky Dau?

RWalls set those up... post some more and it will change.

stevekozak
09-30-2021, 07:04 AM
I always thought it meant one had a dinky d and you had to post more to make it grow.

Slippy
10-01-2021, 01:38 PM
Slip, did u ever get it loaded?

Yes sir!

I actually just arrived back to Slippy Lodge from the trip.

I drove to South Cackalacky and met my brother at the Service Station where he left the Jeep. My brother's insurance agreed to pay for a tow of the Jeep so he called a Tow Truck with a winch and we used the winch to transfer the Jeep to my trailer. We leveled the Jeep on the trailer and tied it down with Ratchet and Axle Straps on each wheel. We were safe and good to go!

Since it was getting late, we checked in to a hotel (on brother's dime!) which was strategically located next to a nice little local Brew House and proceeded to eat and drink, ...again on my brother's tab! His daughter, my niece, and her boyfriend joined us for dinner and a good time was had by all! The best part of the dinner was not the wings, or the craft beer or the bourbon or seeing my niece, it was that the waitress thought my brother was the older of the 2 of us, which is hilarious as I am actually 7 years older than him!

I had to admit that he was looking an awful lot like our Dad and of course called him Dad many times the rest of the night! Too funny!

The next morning we headed out at O;Dark Thirty toward the hellhole referred to as Atlanta. By the time we hit Atlanta, the natives were out and about and traffic was crazy stupid on both I-20 and the northeast section of I-285. When I say crazy stupid I mean FARKIN CRAZY STUPID STOP AND GO ON THE INTERSTATE AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO GO 2 MILES TYPE OF STUPIDITY! Towing a 22 foot trailer and 5600lb vehicle is easy on backroads with no traffic but a bitch on one of the busiest metro interstate systems in the country!

After some white knuckle driving by yours truly, we made it to the Jeep repair shop and unloaded the Jeep which was fun because the only place I could squeeze in was on a hill and once we unstrapped the Jeep, the mechanic jumped in, put the Jeep in neutral and drove down the ramps and off the trailer and into the shop down the alley. My brother later confided in me that he was crossing his fingers hoping that his brakes were still working!

My brother then filled my F250 up with another tank of gas and we were off to eat some Ribs at Dreamland BBQ!

We parted ways, full of ribs and a good story or two and my brother headed back to South Cacklacky and I jumped in my rig and made my way to spend the night and visit with Son2, his wife and my grandaughter at their home!

Mission accomplished, good time was had by all and I got to visit family that I enjoy seeing! Nobody got hurt, nobody cried and nobody got in a fight!

All in all, I'd rank it 10 out of 10 Slippy's on the Slippy Scale of Approval!

Piratesailor
10-01-2021, 05:42 PM
Damn.. sounds like a good trip.

Actually slippy… besides the waitress thinking you were younger.. the best part was being what family and enjoying.

Prepared One
10-01-2021, 07:31 PM
A good time had by all! :thumb:

red442joe
10-01-2021, 10:29 PM
WOO HOO!

Good deal!

Joe