1skrewsloose
10-07-2021, 07:25 AM
Kinda spendy, but cool just the same.

https://scitech.whatfinger.com/cool-survival-gadgets-of-the-new-generation/

MountainGirl
10-07-2021, 07:43 AM
Kinda spendy, but cool just the same.

https://scitech.whatfinger.com/cool-survival-gadgets-of-the-new-generation/

That break down bow was interesting, and some of the other things too. They were all pretty cool, but some of them will get a novice killed... like the pre-packed survival bags. But that doesn't really matter. If someone doesn't know enough to put their own bag together they won't last long anyway.

Sparkyprep
10-07-2021, 05:14 PM
Most of the stuff in this video is designed to do the same thing. Separate you from your money. Mylar blankets have been around a long time, and are incredibly cheap. Cotton and wax make a "fire stick". Stash belts have been around a while. They sell them at the gun shows for $10. Etc.

BucketBack
10-07-2021, 05:56 PM
That 3 edged cutting tool could separate my skin from my bone.

stevekozak
10-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Most of the stuff in this video is designed to do the same thing. Separate you from your money. Mylar blankets have been around a long time, and are incredibly cheap. Cotton and wax make a "fire stick". Stash belts have been around a while. They sell them at the gun shows for $10. Etc.

Yep. I didn't see anything that innovative in there that I couldn't live without.

StratBastard
10-08-2021, 12:32 AM
A big part of putting together your own bug out bag is knowing where you are going, what you are likely to run into, and choosing stuff you have already field tested yourself. A ready made bag is... well... circus slum for newbies.

Speaking of newbies, I remember putting my first BOB together Lo those many years ago LOL. Oh, it was really something. I was being so clever, hand picking every item I could possibly need. yessir, I was prepared for any possible issue. Put the damned thing on and decided to do some laps around the block. And this is without the rifle I would have to carry as well. I was a strong bodybuilder at the time too. It wore me out only twice around the block LOL. Hmmm... new concept: WEIGHT is an actual issue for moving long distances and quickly LOL. My current bag is 1/4 that size and weight.

Prepared One
10-08-2021, 05:27 AM
A big part of putting together your own bug out bag is knowing where you are going, what you are likely to run into, and choosing stuff you have already field tested yourself. A ready made bag is... well... circus slum for newbies.

Speaking of newbies, I remember putting my first BOB together Lo those many years ago LOL. Oh, it was really something. I was being so clever, hand picking every item I could possibly need. yessir, I was prepared for any possible issue. Put the damned thing on and decided to do some laps around the block. And this is without the rifle I would have to carry as well. I was a strong bodybuilder at the time too. It wore me out only twice around the block LOL. Hmmm... new concept: WEIGHT is an actual issue for moving long distances and quickly LOL. My current bag is 1/4 that size and weight.

Pretty much the same for me. I was really proud of myself having put a lot of thought it into it and paying attention to detail. I had everything in that bag but the kitchen sink. Well, I might as well have been carrying the kitchen sink as heavy as it was. Now I go with more of a GHB, maybe a quarter of the kitchen sink bag, figuring I can scavenge some of what I need on the way. I still have that kitchen sink bag but it is now a truck bag. If I can get my ass in the truck, then it's perfect.

MountainGirl
10-08-2021, 08:28 AM

LOL circus slum.
Since I'm already here, a bug out bag seemed redundant - until the mountain caugt fire. Now, it's ready to go. I can be off the mountain in under 2 minutes with everything I wouldn't want to lose; anything else is replaceable.

Imo, skills are more important than gear. Creativity and adaptability. The more you know the less you need to carry.

MountainGirl
10-08-2021, 08:33 AM
Pretty much the same for me. I was really proud of myself having put a lot of thought it into it and paying attention to detail. I had everything in that bag but the kitchen sink. Well, I might as well have been carrying the kitchen sink as heavy as it was. Now I go with more of a GHB, maybe a quarter of the kitchen sink bag, figuring I can scavenge some of what I need on the way. I still have that kitchen sink bag but it is now a truck bag. If I can get my ass in the truck, then it's perfect.

A GHB is a good idea, especially when you want to get Home.
Maybe you should get your ass in the truck and get out of Houston :D

Innkeeper
10-08-2021, 08:41 AM
I have a GHB for my truck because I plan to bug in. One for every day use I have a bigger one with more stuff for when I go down state. But I do have my camping ruck as a BOB incase I should have to leave here for any reason with or without my truck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
10-08-2021, 08:50 AM
I have a GHB for my truck because I plan to bug in. One for every day use I have a bigger one with more stuff for when I go down state. But I do have my camping ruck as a BOB incase I should have to leave here for any reason with or without my truck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good plan.
If things really went sideways all I need is my knife and a little bit of paracord.
Everything else I can figure out. :thumb: