PDA

View Full Version : Forge or Grind

Coppertop
02-01-2015, 08:35 PM
For those that make their own knives, Do you forge or do you cut and grind out your patterns? Which style makes a better knife?

I would like to learn how to forge but I don't know if the expense would be cost effective vs. the time I have to put in and the amount of knives I forsee being able to make.

I have the tools/ability to make knives by cutting a pattern and grinding out a blade.

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

Inor
02-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I have thought about trying that too. I was just going to get an old brake drum from an old truck to make a forge. I am thinking you could even use charcoal to fuel it if you do not have easy access to coal. I would think you could get started pretty cheap.

Coppertop
02-01-2015, 09:02 PM
I guess the forge itself wouldn't be hard, although I was planning on using propane for the heat. My cost hang up was with the anvil but I could probably rethink a full anvil to start with.

I appreciate the thought Inor.

Inor
02-01-2015, 09:05 PM
I think a piece of railroad rail would be good enough to get started and experiment. Save the expense of an anvil until you decide to go ahead with it fully.

Pauls
02-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Whether to forge or shape depends a great deal on the metal you are working with. Despite that a forged blade is almost always a better blade. If you use carbon steel then forging is the "only" way to go. If you would rather shape the blade then use stainless - 440c is one of the best alloys for blades. It can be heat treated and tempered but getting it to polish in the right color is difficult after forging.

For steel I like tool steels better than other alloys, but that is just my preference. There are many types to choose from; air hardening, oil hardening and water hardening alloys. I like the water hardening allows and I use an epson salt and ice bath with which to quench. After you harden the "nearly finished product remember to heat treat it to take the brittleness out.

Infidel
02-03-2015, 07:42 PM
I've done a few knives now. Mostly I've been cutting and grinding. The last one I did I forged. Generally I've used old files as stock and made the knives from that. The advantage there is that generally they require little forging unless you don't want a straight blank. Forging is more work for sure but I think in the end you end up with a better knife because you can change the shape and get a good start on the bevel using the anvil and hammer. Last one I did was a skinning knife and I wanted an up-swept blade sort of like a Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger I had to forge the blade to get that shape. If you're buying steel the cut and grind route will be the easiest method and for a first knife is probably the method I would recommend. I would also suggest starting out with an easier material to work with (lawnmower blades work great for proof of concept) to see if this is something that you want to pursue. I lucked into an old Swedish anvil that a buddy had and wasn't using. That reminds me I have a blank out in my shop to work on for him, this blank was forged flat from a 1/2 round file and will end up being a general use bushcraft/camp knife. For forging I have been using a home made propane coffee can forge, do a search on youtube for "soup can forge". It works well but I use Mapp gas in it for the increased heat output. I'm planning this summer to turn an old BBQ grill into a coal forge, I'll make sure to post it here if it happens. Quenching for me is always in used motor oil. I think I posted the knife I made over the summer in the hobbies section but I haven't posted the skinner yet, still have to put it's final edge one and make a sheath for that one.

-Infidel