PDA

View Full Version : Floating Shelf Project

Sasquatch
12-29-2021, 08:33 PM
Needed a small shelf for behind my computer monitor to hold odds and ends so they aren't cluttering up my desk. I first built two small shelves to go side by side. They were made with roman cleats but I didn't like how they looked. I remembered I had been wanting to try a float shelf so I took down the other ones and threw this together. Not my best work but it was done fast and with scrap wood.

Inor
12-29-2021, 10:14 PM
Nicely done! Those can be a tricky bugger to get strong enough to hold anything.

Sasquatch
12-30-2021, 12:47 AM
Nicely done! Those can be a tricky bugger to get strong enough to hold anything.

This one is only holding small knickknacks so I'm not too worried about weight. Funny thing though. I had scrap to build it but didn't have any scrap dowels small enough. I was being lazy and didn't want to go to home depot so I used #2 pencils.

Inor
12-30-2021, 01:15 AM
This one is only holding small knickknacks so I'm not too worried about weight. Funny thing though. I had scrap to build it but didn't have any scrap dowels small enough. I was being lazy and didn't want to go to home depot so I used #2 pencils.

A trick I have used to make dowel quick is get a washer with a hole slightly smaller than the dowel you want. Use either a file or drill bit to enlarge the hole to the size you want the dowel but leave the burr from the file or drill on the washer. Put the washer in a vice or a clamp. Whittle a small stick so it can start in the hole and chuck the other end of the stick in your drill. Spin it around with the drill and shape the dowel with the burr on the washer. It works like a champ, especially if you need a dowel from an exotic wood.

Slippy
12-30-2021, 08:08 AM
You guys are way smarter than me. I would have cut a hole thru the drywall and fastened a 2x4 into the wall stud and cantilevered that sumbitch out of the wall to hold the shelf. A few slabs of joint compound to cover the hole and I'd be good to go! :biglaugh:

Great job Sas and excellent tips Inor!

Needed a small shelf for behind my computer monitor to hold odds and ends so they aren't cluttering up my desk. I first built two small shelves to go side by side. They were made with roman cleats but I didn't like how they looked. I remembered I had been wanting to try a float shelf so I took down the other ones and threw this together. Not my best work but it was done fast and with scrap wood.

Big Ken
12-30-2021, 08:31 AM
Okay I'll be that guy, What is up with the Batman head? is the purpose to just sit there and look at you? :) Oh nice shelf.

BucketBack
12-30-2021, 09:24 AM
It's on his avatar also. Holy Bat Crap

Big Ken
12-30-2021, 04:06 PM

I never noticed, has it always been there?

hawgrider
12-30-2021, 04:47 PM
Maybe the beast is actually... "Bat Dad" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9IYeVJiWLQ

Sparkyprep
12-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Okay I'll be that guy, What is up with the Batman head? is the purpose to just sit there and look at you? :) Oh nice shelf.

He's Batman... I mean, you have never seen Sasquatch and Batman in the same room, at the same time...

Sasquatch
12-30-2021, 06:10 PM

Because Batman is the man! The little bust was made for me by my brother with a laser printer.

Actually MT took the original pic and added the Bat symbol because of some remark I made.

I never noticed, has it always been there?

Probably been there 2 years. Very observant BK.

Maybe the beast is actually... "Bat Dad" ?

I'm not Bat Dad but those videos are hilarious. And yes I do make my family endure stupidity like that.

He's Batman... I mean, you have never seen Sasquatch and Batman in the same room, at the same time...

I can neither confirm nor deny.

MountainGirl
12-31-2021, 08:22 AM

Actually MT took the original pic and added the Bat symbol because of some remark I made.

Probably been there 2 years. Very observant BK.

MT ? :bigboss:

hawgrider
12-31-2021, 08:24 AM

Mad Trapper

Who is AWOL.... wonder where hes been?

MountainGirl
12-31-2021, 08:51 AM
Mad Trapper

Who is AWOL.... wonder where hes been?

Yeah... I'll yield to the hairy bat-beast to sort this one. :biglaugh:

Sasquatch
12-31-2021, 11:02 PM

My apologies. I meant MG. I was taking copious amounts of crack when I typed that.

MountainGirl
01-01-2022, 11:32 AM
My apologies. I meant MG. I was taking copious amounts of crack when I typed that.

A giant fur ball on crack?? Now that's just scary. :wall: