PDA

View Full Version : Pond beginning!

Pages : [1] 2

Broncosfan
01-07-2022, 05:25 PM
Well its several months before the excavator arrives to build the pond, but never to early to get started. Although the trees aren't where the pond will be I didn't want the trees to fall on the dam. So we cut down more than a dozen Aspen trees. Now comes the clean up. 1782617827

Mad Trapper
01-07-2022, 05:48 PM
If you've got aspens and water hire some beavers!

bigwheel
01-08-2022, 01:04 PM
Looks like a pretty extensive project. Stay safe.

Ricekila
01-08-2022, 02:39 PM
You gonna breed your own Mosquitos --- or import them -- LOL

Box of frogs
01-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting. Please keep us up on how the rest of it goes.
I am considering damming our creek to make a pond next year. Maybe I can learn from your project.
BoF

Well its several months before the excavator arrives to build the pond, but never to early to get started. Although the trees aren't where the pond will be I didn't want the trees to fall on the dam. So we cut down more than a dozen Aspen trees. Now comes the clean up. 1782617827

Broncosfan
01-08-2022, 10:22 PM
Thanks for posting. Please keep us up on how the rest of it goes.
I am considering damming our creek to make a pond next year. Maybe I can learn from your project.
BoF

Its going to be a very slow project. The excavator will be here sometime in the spring to dig some test holes to check the soil. They will check to make sure there is enough clay in the soil. I forget offhand what the ratio is. Where I'm at I should be fine. If not they would have to haul in clay. He said roughly a week to build day light to dark. He doesn't want to start such a project until the dry season. Possible as late as August. I will post pics as we go.

bigwheel
01-09-2022, 11:50 AM
Sandy land tank diggers line it with drilling mud..Bentonite? and plow it in. Makes em hold water pretty good supposedly.
https://oilandgasconference.org/presentations/Land/4_Morelli_2019%20OGENV%20PPT_Morelli.pdf

Box of frogs
04-13-2022, 02:54 PM
How’s the pond going?
Started any work on it yet?
BoF

Broncosfan
04-13-2022, 05:00 PM
How’s the pond going?
Started any work on it yet?
BoF

We have about 90% of the downed trees cleaned up and ready to burn the limbs. Cannot burn here until June or else you do it between 6 pm-6am. I have a few pine to take down but want to leave the pricacy up until the last minute. Excavator is schedule for August. Way too much rain here to even think about moving any dirt. It will be August before you know it.

Broncosfan
07-22-2022, 09:25 PM
So I'm disappointed that I'm not posting the first pics of the pond excavation. Our weather here in Ohio as been crazy to say the least. Our rainfall is very high for this time of year. We seem to be getting rainfall about 1/2" at a time and most of the time lately we hit 1 1/2" up to 2" per event. So weather has delayed us. Excavator thought he would be here in July. Thats not going to happen. He now has one job that should take 2-3 days and he will be here. If the rain gives us a break he should be here the first week of August. I'm getting really anxious so the sooner the better. I will post pics every day as we progress.

Broncosfan
07-23-2022, 05:51 PM
Well we had more rain this afternoon only a 1/4" this round. Were approaching 5 inches for the month of July!

hawgrider
07-23-2022, 05:53 PM
Pretty dry up here.

Broncosfan
07-23-2022, 06:06 PM
Pretty dry up here.

The thing here is we have a dry spell fir like like 10 days then we get a washout. All of out rain has came in maybe 4 rain events

Inor
07-23-2022, 06:13 PM
Well we had more rain this afternoon only a 1/4" this round. Were approaching 5 inches for the month of July!

I wish we were! The monsoon season started about a month early this year. We had almost 5 inches of rain in June which is VERY unusual. And since almost NOTHING. Last night we got about 3/10ths, but that is the only rain we have had for the last 2 weeks. I hope it picks up between now and the end of August or we are going to be hurting bad.

Mad Trapper
07-23-2022, 08:17 PM
We want some pictures when the excavator gets there.

We are in mild drought conditions. Most rain has been thunderstorms instead of a slow steady soaking rain.

Michael_Js
07-23-2022, 11:39 PM
Western WA state is in it's drought period - July through Aug: mid 90's, no rain in sight...we get it for the other 10 months...

Hope your build can continue soon!

Mad Trapper
07-24-2022, 12:39 AM
From NEWA website, doesn't have all states but good coverage for eastern half of USA

https://newa.cornell.edu/all-weather-data-query

Closest station to me

This June-July has been dry, 4.85" last year was soggy wet 11.85", 13.74" through end of July

I checked Zanesville OH, they are at 11.5" (took a guess in closest station?) Jun 1st - July 23rd, about like we were last summer

shootbrownelk
07-24-2022, 12:40 AM
Really dry out here. Fire restrictions in almost every county and on all State, BLM, and G&F lands. What are these Ponds of which you speak?

Broncosfan
07-24-2022, 06:58 AM
From NEWA website, doesn't have all states but good coverage for eastern half of USA

https://newa.cornell.edu/all-weather-data-query

Closest station to me

This June-July has been dry, 4.85" last year was soggy wet 11.85", 13.74" through end of July

I checked Zanesville OH, they are at 11.5" (took a guess in closest station?) Jun 1st - July 23rd, about like we were last summer

Yes I'm about 20 mile south of Zanesville. I purchased my own weather station a few years ago. It seems to be actuate. But our power was out a couple of times when it was raining so I figure its calculations are off a bit.

Sparkyprep
07-24-2022, 02:33 PM
We had about 4 REAL dry months. Now, we are back into our normal rainy season. Just like clockwork, 4pm every day, thunderstorms. Just looked at my digital weather station. 97 degrees this afternoon.

Broncosfan
07-26-2022, 09:16 PM
Got a surprise today when the excavator showed up this afternoon. He finished this weeks job early. He is moving the equipment in this weekend. The guy from the county soil and water will be here Monday @ 10 am. He will check the clay% once the excavator digs the test holes. I honestly don't think there will be any problem since when we dug our house basement it was solid red clay. Then we will start weather permitting. Perfect weather would be a dry 7-10 days. I think he is a little nervous starting this project with the amount of rain we've had in the past few weeks. I will post pics as we go. First ones this weekend of the land as is now. I want a complete set from start to finish.

Broncosfan
07-27-2022, 05:48 PM
These are better pics than I posted before. 193331933419335 The first 2 are from the edge of the road. Our house sits to the left. The third is taken closer from my front yard.

MountainGirl
07-27-2022, 08:19 PM
That is going to be really nice!!

Prepared One
07-28-2022, 06:12 AM
These are better pics than I posted before. 193331933419335 The first 2 are from the edge of the road. Our house sits to the left. The third is taken closer from my front yard.

Awesome! That's a lot of grass and it's green. We are in a drought here. Everything is going brown.

Broncosfan
07-28-2022, 06:59 AM
Awesome! That's a lot of grass and it's green. We are in a drought here. Everything is going brown.

Yes they are green. We're over 5" of rain for July which is very unusual for us. I really need it to dry up before we start excavation. These we basically open hay fields until I started to mow them. I mow all the area you see once a week. What you cannot see is the far back fields and the field on the other side of the neighbors that get mowed every 10-14 days. Our property surrounds the neighbors on 3 sides.

Prepared One
07-28-2022, 04:23 PM
Yes they are green. We're over 5" of rain for July which is very unusual for us. I really need it to dry up before we start excavation. These we basically open hay fields until I started to mow them. I mow all the area you see once a week. What you cannot see is the far back fields and the field on the other side of the neighbors that get mowed every 10-14 days. Our property surrounds the neighbors on 3 sides.

Too much mowing for me. I am retired. :eyebrows:

Sparkyprep
07-28-2022, 04:48 PM

I love mowing. It is my "quiet time".

Broncosfan
07-28-2022, 05:38 PM

I usually have my ear muffs on with the radio. So its not quiet time but rather hear the radio than the mower.

Broncosfan
07-28-2022, 05:40 PM

Well its not my favorite thing to do but I enjoy taking care of the property. We're planning on buying a new tractor probably next year with at least a 7' finishing mower so that will save me a lot of time.

Prepared One
07-29-2022, 05:16 AM

Oh I get it. I used to love mowing my grass and getting the yard all trimmed, neat, every blade of grass perfect. I would spend 3 or 4 hours on Friday night or Saturday morning working on the yard so it was nice for the weekend. Used to love the finished product.

Then one day a guy knocked on my door and said he would do my lawn for 25 bucks. I was traveling out of town that week so I said OK. I got back in town late thT Saturday and the yard was perfect, absolutely as good or better then I could have done. Wife said it took him 15, maybe 20 minutes and he was gone. I thought to myself why am I killing myself for 3 hours cutting grass and having to work all the crazy hours during the week at work? What was my time worth. Easy choice for me. I paid the man 25 bucks a week, got rid of my mower, trimmer, and blowers.

I may reconsider now that I am retired but that's one of the reasons MG and I wanted acreage but not all of it cleared. Didn't want to spend 2 or 3 days mowing. We have 2 cleared acres and the rest is heavily wooded. It's perfect for us. I may even let some of that 2 acres go back to nature. Previous owner said it took him about 2 hours with a zero turn. Not much trimming to do really. It's the country after all.

Sparkyprep
07-29-2022, 03:46 PM
Oh I get it. I used to love mowing my grass and getting the yard all trimmed, neat, every blade of grass perfect. I would spend 3 or 4 hours on Friday night or Saturday morning working on the yard so it was nice for the weekend. Used to love the finished product.

Then one day a guy knocked on my door and said he would do my lawn for 25 bucks. I was traveling out of town that week so I said OK. I got back in town late thT Saturday and the yard was perfect, absolutely as good or better then I could have done. Wife said it took him 15, maybe 20 minutes and he was gone. I thought to myself why am I killing myself for 3 hours cutting grass and having to work all the crazy hours during the week at work? What was my time worth. Easy choice for me. I paid the man 25 bucks a week, got rid of my mower, trimmer, and blowers.

I may reconsider now that I am retired but that's one of the reasons MG and I wanted acreage but not all of it cleared. Didn't want to spend 2 or 3 days mowing. We have 2 cleared acres and the rest is heavily wooded. It's perfect for us. I may even let some of that 2 acres go back to nature. Previous owner said it took him about 2 hours with a zero turn. Not much trimming to do really. It's the country after all.

I have about 3 acres that I keep manicured. The other 7 acres is cleared cow pasture, that gets mowed 1 time a year.

Broncosfan
07-31-2022, 08:22 PM
19399 Equipment is now here. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve waiting on Santa to arrive. From my understanding they will get the soil samples first. Then he will use a transit and set the pins. The stumps come out first and then he will remove the top soil. Weather looks to be a factor so no idea just how much he will actually get done tomorrow. All in all he said 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for completion unless we have a weather set back.

Broncosfan
08-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Day 1 Soil test holes, remove topsoil19412194131941419415

Broncosfan
08-01-2022, 07:25 PM
We did run into a few problems. The pond with end up about 1/3 acre. I was shooting for over 1/2. Soil made us a little concerned that sides might slip. Also the soil test wasn't what I thought. We ran into a lot of shale. We did locate another spot on the property within reason that has a better clay content. Hauling it from offsite would be very expensive. There is a possibility the dam might be 10' instead of 12'. We're still shooting for 12 at this point. Weather looks good for a couple of days so we should make a lot of progress.

Sparkyprep
08-02-2022, 04:35 PM
Love watching heavy machinery work, especially when it is making dreams come true.

Broncosfan
08-02-2022, 07:15 PM
Day 2. Dam is now at the water level as long as we have enough quality dirt to reach the additional 2' we need. Back of dam still needs filled in. Idler is going out in the dozer. Part ordered. Might be using smaller dozer that will increase build time. 19424194251942619427

Inor
08-02-2022, 07:24 PM
Day 2. Dam is now at the water level as long as we have enough quality dirt to reach the additional 2' we need. Back of dam still needs filled in. Idler is going out in the dozer. Part ordered. Might be using smaller dozer that will increase build time. 19424194251942619427

That is AWESOME!!! But a project that big should include a pyramid like Egypt. You need to get some slaves to build a pyramid by the shore! :biglaugh:

That is just WAY TOO COOL!!!

Broncosfan
08-02-2022, 09:28 PM
This one show the 19430height much better

Box of frogs
08-03-2022, 03:51 AM
This one show the 19430height much better

No that’s a swimming hole right there.
Great work!
BoF

Broncosfan
08-03-2022, 07:33 PM
Day 3 Started off slow. The Deere is19451194521945319454 dead until repaired. He brought in the smaller dozer. He got a lot done in about 5 hours than he blew a hydraulic line. He got the line off this evening should be ready to run tomorrow mid morning. 19450

Mad Trapper
08-03-2022, 07:47 PM
Where is H-Beast going? ROFL!!!

Broncosfan
08-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Day 4 No pictures to show that shows much progress. Although there was some. Mostly adding fill behind the dam to get a slope that is easier to manage. Did find water seeping up into the bottom of the pond. I will be impossible to know for sure how much water is going in to the pond. Its been minimal today and it just started to rain. When weather permits were peeling more sod back on the field to get more dirt behind the pond. At the present time I figure we're down until next week as we have rain in the forecast for the few days. The good news is the part came in for the big dozer so hopefully he can get that fixed during the down time.

Mad Trapper
08-05-2022, 04:44 AM
I can't wait for the fish pictures coming up in near future. I think bass, perch/crappies and some minnows/shiners are on stocking list?

Broncosfan
08-05-2022, 05:45 AM
I can't wait for the fish pictures coming up in near future. I think bass, perch/crappies and some minnows/shiners are on stocking list?

Large mouth bass. blue gill and hybrid blue gill and Shellcrackers. No crappies from my understanding they will take over a pond and its really no big enough either. Also using the hybrid bluegill so they can't over populate. There mostly male and don't reproduce like a regular bluegill

Mad Trapper
08-05-2022, 05:55 AM
Need some shiners to feed them.

Also I'd try to get insects that feed them all. I don't know which ones are proper for you pond? Get them going as a food base. Maybe Ag extension could help.

If I'm off track and You have researched this let me know. I'm just looking at this as a lifelong fisherman.

Slippy
08-05-2022, 06:50 AM
How did I miss this thread!

Spectacular! Love seeing heavy equipment do their thing. Also beautiful land Bronc!!!

Broncosfan
08-05-2022, 02:00 PM
Need some shiners to feed them.

Also I'd try to get insects that feed them all. I don't know which ones are proper for you pond? Get them going as a food base. Maybe Ag extension could help.

If I'm off track and You have researched this let me know. I'm just looking at this as a lifelong fisherman.

We will put about 10 lb of minnows as well as we stock. I thought about putting the minnows in early as some suggest its best. After I talked with the fish hatchery they told me that they put minnows in at the same time as stocking the pond and its worked very well. They have stocked as late as December. I need at least 6' of water to stock the pond.

Broncosfan
08-05-2022, 02:04 PM
Day 5 Rained overnight. Not a lot of rain 4/10" but more expected over the weekend. We decided last night it was best not to peel the topsoil back on the next section until we're ready to move dirt. Talked with excavator this morning he is taking today to repair the Deere. Hopefully he will get it back onsite. His plan if all goes well is to have another operator here with him early next week and run both dozers weather permitting.

shootbrownelk
08-05-2022, 04:29 PM

A few Tiger Muskies to keep the bass, perch & crappies in check & prevent stunting.

Mad Trapper
08-05-2022, 05:22 PM
A few Tiger Muskies to keep the bass, perch & crappies in check & prevent stunting.

THEY eat good too if you KNOw to fillet then

Broncosfan
08-05-2022, 05:27 PM

Since the pond is smaller than originally expected I hoping I keep them in check myself by using a deep fryer on the weekends.

Mad Trapper
08-06-2022, 04:42 AM
Since the pond is smaller than originally expected I hoping I keep them in check myself by using a deep fryer on the weekends.

You will be surprised if it is productive.

A friend has a much smaller shaded spring fed pond full of trout. He feeds them with dog food (not my choice) and the water boils with fish. Some of the fish are 20".

Broncosfan
08-06-2022, 06:12 AM
You will be surprised if it is productive.

A friend has a much smaller shaded spring fed pond full of trout. He feeds them with dog food (not my choice) and the water boils with fish. Some of the fish are 20".

Talking with the hatchery they told me to start feeding about a month after stocking. One thing they stressed was not to overfeed. They also told me to use a good quality feed such as Purina Fish Food. They told me most of the cheaper store brands are grain based and the bass won't eat it.

Mad Trapper
08-06-2022, 06:27 AM
Talking with the hatchery they told me to start feeding about a month after stocking. One thing they stressed was not to overfeed. They also told me to use a good quality feed such as Purina Fish Food. They told me most of the cheaper store brands are grain based and the bass won't eat it.

My friends trout pond got dog food. He had bookies and rainbows. It was 2000' elv and shaded, fresh spring fed.

shootbrownelk
08-06-2022, 08:52 AM
THEY eat good too if you KNOw to fillet then

That's why I suggested them, they're sterile too and will keep excess numbers of panfish & stunted bass in check without reproducing themselves.

shootbrownelk
08-06-2022, 08:53 AM
Is the pond going to be deep enough to prevent winter freeze out Bronco?

Broncosfan
08-06-2022, 09:58 AM
Is the pond going to be deep enough to prevent winter freeze out Bronco?

Our deepest depth with be 12" close to the dam end and it will slope upward toward the opposite end until it gets a few inches at the edge. If our dam goes above 14' we have the have to get the Army Corp of Engineers involved. I'm not familiar with a winter freeze out so to speak. Although we get lots of very cold winter weather ponds usually don't freeze over until Mid January-February. Most of the time enough to walk on for a few weeks. I'm familiar with a term winter fish kill. Which really doesn't have to do with depth but more about lack of oxygen because snow piles up on the ice. Prevents light from getting in. So to help prevent a winter fish kill we will be erecting a 20' or 24' windmill for aeration.

Broncosfan
08-06-2022, 05:18 PM
So I figure we got 1000 gallons plus in the pond now after our rainy weekend. I figure a lot of the rain got soaked up by the clay since its been really dry. 19493 Maybe enough now for some mud wrestling?

Ricekila
08-06-2022, 06:07 PM
So I figure we got 1000 gallons plus in the pond now after our rainy weekend. I figure a lot of the rain got soaked up by the clay since its been really dry. 19493 Maybe enough now for some mud wrestling?

While you still can --- pound in a height / depth stake ---- ?

2" X 2" aluminum wont warp over the years --

Broncosfan
08-06-2022, 07:51 PM
While you still can --- pound in a height / depth stake ---- ?

2" X 2" aluminum wont warp over the years --

II was trying to figure out what to use. Thanks for the idea.

Ricekila
08-06-2022, 08:47 PM
II was trying to figure out what to use. Thanks for the idea.

Thats why I'm here ------- pics ?

Get a sleeve you can shove it into 3" X 3" ( or what ever ) 6' - 8' long ( also aluminum --- dont mix dissimilar metals ) ---- pound it in - with at least 2 or 3 bolt through holes ---- install your depth gauge with stainless bolts ------ it should top off well above planed depth ---- top off with a bird house or something ----- after a good lightning storm --- you'll know why ---

Inor
08-06-2022, 10:02 PM
Thats why I'm here ------- pics ?

Get a sleeve you can shove it into 3" X 3" ( or what ever ) 6' - 8' long ( also aluminum --- dont mix dissimilar metals ) ---- pound it in - with at least 2 or 3 bolt through holes ---- install your depth gauge with stainless bolts ------ it should top off well above planed depth ---- top off with a bird house or something ----- after a good lightning storm --- you'll know why ---

MMMMMM!!! MMMMMMM!!!! Fried sparrow! Yum!

Ricekila
08-07-2022, 05:09 AM
He could get really fancy and depending how away from power ---- in stead of square tubing --- round and rig up a pump to run for a few hours a day --- circulate the water & aerate ?

Should cut down on the stagnation --

Broncosfan
08-07-2022, 06:30 AM
He could get really fancy and depending how away from power ---- in stead of square tubing --- round and rig up a pump to run for a few hours a day --- circulate the water & aerate ?

Should cut down on the stagnation --

I haven't figured out the electricity part yet. Its a long way from the house. I do need power in the area as we plan to add to our Christmas display around the pond and a picnic shelter is somewhat planned. As far as stagnation a 24' windmill will provide plenty of aeration. The output of the windmill is between 3.0-4.5 cfm depending on wind speed. We have a breeze constantly and at that height I'm sure it will be turning around the clock.

Ricekila
08-07-2022, 12:57 PM
I haven't figured out the electricity part yet. Its a long way from the house. I do need power in the area as we plan to add to our Christmas display around the pond and a picnic shelter is somewhat planned. As far as stagnation a 24' windmill will provide plenty of aeration. The output of the windmill is between 3.0-4.5 cfm depending on wind speed. We have a breeze constantly and at that height I'm sure it will be turning around the clock.

Have a Granger / Harbor Fright / Tractor Supply -- near you or some other place to buy a mid sized solar panel or two ?

And dont forget to put out a salt lick or two --

Broncosfan
08-07-2022, 02:52 PM
Have a Granger / Harbor Fright / Tractor Supply -- near you or some other place to buy a mid sized solar panel or two ?

And dont forget to put out a salt lick or two --

I'm working toward some solar for sure at the picnic shelter house. As for salt licks I have one salt block and several trophy rocks already out and their visiting them regularly.

Broncosfan
08-07-2022, 07:44 PM
Went out this evening to fire up the grill and heard some loud noise. Looked over and the excavator was unloading the big Deere. So we're back in business tomorrow morning with lots of dirt to move.

Broncosfan
08-08-2022, 08:18 PM
Faced with a 70% change of rain tomorrow he stayed on the Deere for 10 hours today and only stopped for a lunch break. He moved a lot of dirt. So here are todays pics1952919530195311953219533195341953519536

Broncosfan
08-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Broncosfan
08-09-2022, 07:56 PM
7 days in! So the 1955319554195551955619557dam is basically complete. The over flow pipe needs installed and the topsoil spread across the dam. Our forecast was for heavy rain this afternoon but it missed us but he decided it was better to start spreading the topsoil back on the field. We put the first fish habitat in today. It covered the first bucket so we have about 16" of water near the dam. He took 4' of dirt off the crown of our field to have enough dirt to fill in the back side of the dam.

Broncosfan
08-10-2022, 06:52 PM
Today we hauled the sand for19573 the swimming area. Its under the plastic. Excavator spent the rest of the day spreading topsoil on the dam and field. Got19575 the overflow pipe delivered. Boy that stuff is expensive now. Overflow pipe should be installed tomorrow. Then all is left is the emergency spillway and finish spreading topsoil. The cat in the picture was my Mom and Stepdad's. His name is Bandit. He just needed19569195701957119572 to check the 19568pond out for himself. 19574 The deer are in the back field where we planted all the fruit trees this year!

Box of frogs
08-10-2022, 07:16 PM
Great pictures
Thanks for sharing them - This has been a great thread

BoF

Broncosfan
08-11-2022, 05:09 PM
The pond is complete! I will post more pictures once the equipment is moved tomorrow. We start seeding this weekend. Then I will follow up as it progress.

Slippy
08-11-2022, 06:41 PM
Simply beautiful! Great job Bronc!

Today we hauled the sand for19573 the swimming area. Its under the plastic. Excavator spent the rest of the day spreading topsoil on the dam and field. Got19575 the overflow pipe delivered. Boy that stuff is expensive now. Overflow pipe should be installed tomorrow. Then all is left is the emergency spillway and finish spreading topsoil. The cat in the picture was my Mom and Stepdad's. His name is Bandit. He just needed19569195701957119572 to check the 19568pond out for himself. 19574 The deer are in the back field where we planted all the fruit trees this year!

Broncosfan
08-11-2022, 07:21 PM
Simply beautiful! Great job Bronc!

Thanks Slippy its took awhile to get this far but it was worth the wait.

Sasquatch
08-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Whoohoo, swim party at Bronco's house!!!

:party::dancing:

Broncosfan
08-12-2022, 05:35 AM
Whoohoo, swim party at Bronco's house!!!

:party::dancing:

I thought about having a pond filling party where everyone brought a gallon of water. Problem is I figure I would need somewhere in the neighbor of 350,000 people to show up! I just don't have enough parking! lol

Box of frogs
08-12-2022, 05:36 AM
Hey Bronco
Put in a 3 meter diving board and we can do the Triple Lindy !

Ricekila
08-12-2022, 07:03 AM
How far away is the nearest river or stream ----

A ram-pump should help the filling ?

Mad Trapper
08-12-2022, 09:55 AM
I thought about having a pond filling party where everyone brought a gallon of water. Problem is I figure I would need somewhere in the neighbor of 350,000 people to show up! I just don't have enough parking! lol

Host a Trump rally!

Broncosfan
08-12-2022, 07:48 PM
How far away is the nearest river or stream ----

A ram-pump should help the filling ?

Honestly I don't know if there is one very close. The one I do know about the water has a lot of sulfur from when the area was strip mined. Most of my house downspouts now run into the pond. Its not a lot but it will be cleaner than most. There is a lot of area that drains into the pond. Once we start getting some rain it will fill up. We going to do our best to get the grass seed sown and covered with erosion blankets which should help cut down on a lot of mud.

Inor
08-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Honestly I don't know if there is one very close. The one I do know about the water has a lot of sulfur from when the area was strip mined. Most of my house downspouts now run into the pond. Its not a lot but it will be cleaner than most. There is a lot of area that drains into the pond. Once we start getting some rain it will fill up. We going to do our best to get the grass seed sown and covered with erosion blankets which should help cut down on a lot of mud.

So you are going to just let it fill naturally? Do you have enough rain/snow for that to happen? I have been wondering about that since you started the project.

It is coming nicely BTW! I am probably as excited as you are to see the finished result.

Broncosfan
08-12-2022, 08:00 PM
So you are going to just let it fill naturally? Do you have enough rain/snow for that to happen? I have been wondering about that since you started the project.

It is coming nicely BTW! I am probably as excited as you are to see the finished result.

Honestly we're way about average for rain fall the last several 3-4 years. I cannot give you an absolute answer. I know 1" of rain equals a little over 27,000 gallon on an acre. Given the runoff area into the pond is well over acre. So based on this years rainfall of 34.5" so far thats 931,500 gallons that has fell here so far this year. My weather station doesn't count snow. Based on that and my estimate of needing 350,000 gallons I think its really possible to be at the full mark by spring. Its usually drier here in August and September and October are usually somewhat wet.

Inor
08-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Honestly we're way about average for rain fall the last several 3-4 years. I cannot give you an absolute answer. I know 1" of rain equals a little over 27,000 gallon on an acre. Given the runoff area into the pond is well over acre. So based on this years rainfall of 34.5" so far thats 931,500 gallons that has fell here so far this year. My weather station doesn't count snow. Based on that and my estimate of needing 350,000 gallons I think its really possible to be at the full mark by spring. Its usually drier here in August and September and October are usually somewhat wet.

When we were in MN I usually figured about 10:1 on the snow. - 10 inches of snow equaled about 1 inch of water. I am guessing OH snow is about the same? (Mountain snow in AZ is about 30:1.)

:bigthumbup:

Broncosfan
08-12-2022, 08:18 PM
When we were in MN I usually figured about 10:1 on the snow. - 10 inches of snow equaled about 1 inch of water. I am guessing OH snow is about the same? (Mountain snow in AZ is about 30:1.)

:bigthumbup:

The funny thing is the excavator told his live in that I was more than likely praying for no rain while it was under construction. Honestly at times we thought it would be a washout. The storms actually seemed to part over our property going to the north and south of us. He told me now he figured I would be praying for rain to fill the pond. He just said he would basically like me to go easy on the prayers because he would like to be able to work the rest of the summer. He doesn't live but a few minutes from me and they've had probably a good 2" or more there that we didn't get here in the 2 weeks he build the pond.

1skrewsloose
08-12-2022, 08:32 PM
Learning new stuff, I always used the 10 to 1 snow to rain, web search, rain calculator shows that the temp when snowing has a big impact on the ratio. Makes sense.

10 to 1 might be an average.

Ricekila
08-13-2022, 06:18 AM

Try google maps for your area ----- when you zoom in you might find one closer than you think ---- when I tried it in what could be your neck of the woods ------ Pike Run showed up -- just an example --

P/S --- when I was doing the whole survival thing to get off this sand-bar --- I mapped out every river ( not many here ) and stream ( more than I thought ) ------ and swimming pools ( oodles of them ) ------ I'm not suggesting you drop a drain hose in someone's pool over night ------- but wouldn't that be a hoot -- LOL

"Uncle Clem ---- the cement pond is half empty again" ?

Another thought ---- you have a local fire department ---- do they have a tanker truck -- do they dump the water out of it to refill it with fresh water a few times a year ?

Rather that dump it in the drain by the fire house -------- ?

A few times a year I see our local foundation savers ( because concrete doesn't burn - L ) -- dump tanker water into the street ----- make a donation & a friend --

I've heard of a few volunteer fire fighters having their pools filled this way --

Broncosfan
08-13-2022, 08:24 PM
So we started seeding today. Made a lot of progress. The dam was a workout in itself.1961319614196151961619617

Mad Trapper
08-13-2022, 08:50 PM
Looking good!

Planing on adding any trees on perimeter (south side, not sure how pond is oriented NSEW?) to give the fish some shade on hot days, and a place out of the sun for the same reason for yourself?

Broncosfan
08-14-2022, 06:29 AM
Looking good!

Planing on adding any trees on perimeter (south side, not sure how pond is oriented NSEW?) to give the fish some shade on hot days, and a place out of the sun for the same reason for yourself?

We're not positive yet what we plan to do as far as trees. Facing the dam that is the west. If we plant trees on the south side it would block our view of the pond from our house. We considering building a picnic shelter so I want to figure that into the plans before we just jump in and start planting.

Broncosfan
08-16-2022, 08:10 AM
Now all I have to finish seeding is the downward slope of the emergency spillway and the inside edge of the pond down to the water line. 1966019661[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]19664

Broncosfan
08-20-2022, 09:21 PM
So I have been busy trying to water some of the new grass that we planted on the dam and a couple of the sides the last few days. Seen a little finally starting to show after a week. Its been very dry here since before we started the pond. This afternoon we got 6/100 of an inch. It saved me from some spot watering this evening. Forecast was dropping for any major chance. Then a storm just showed up after 8:30. To say the least we've got pounded with rain. We're @ 1.25" now and still seeing some rain and lightning. It should tapper off soon. Really curious what a storm like this is doing for our water level. I plan to be out early to see. We have rain in the forecast tomorrow also. Can't wait for daylight. Will post a few pics tomorrow mid morning or so.

MountainGirl
08-21-2022, 07:11 AM
Hope the rain doesn't wash out your new seeding!

Broncosfan
08-21-2022, 07:17 AM
So we ended up 1.35" of rain yesterday. That in turn added almost 14" of water to the deep end of the pond. 1972519726 I have to rethink my fish habitat anchoring. As 2 ended up in the bottom of the pond after the storm. Forecast is for more rain today.

Broncosfan
08-21-2022, 07:20 AM
Hope the rain doesn't wash out your new seeding!

We had some washing but all in all it looks okay. Seen a lot more new grass sprouts this morning. The parts we covered with straw seemed okay as it didn't wash or blow the straw away.

Mad Trapper
08-21-2022, 09:19 AM
Looks great!

Is the plastic held down with bricks/rocks for rain catchment/stop erosion, and to direct rainfall to deep end until pond fills?

You'll have froggers and such moving in soon.

Slippy
08-21-2022, 10:04 AM
Outstanding! Praying for light rain for the next few days to get that pond filled up and no erosion!

So we ended up 1.35" of rain yesterday. That in turn added almost 14" of water to the deep end of the pond. 1972519726 I have to rethink my fish habitat anchoring. As 2 ended up in the bottom of the pond after the storm. Forecast is for more rain today.

Ricekila
08-21-2022, 12:48 PM
So we ended up 1.35" of rain yesterday. That in turn added almost 14" of water to the deep end of the pond.

I have to rethink my fish habitat anchoring. As 2 ended up in the bottom of the pond after the storm. Forecast is for more rain today.

Hit enter between pics ---- it looks like two ponds close together -- L

Broncosfan
08-21-2022, 06:40 PM
Okay so we just got another 2.60" since 4:30pm. Some erosion but no major damage. 19729 It parted the sand some and moved the plastic. Th erosion blankets help for the most part. So once its dries out we will fix the damage. Never would I thought this would happen. We have enough water now to start talking stocking the pond! I cannot tell you the exact height but the fish habitat I made from 3) 5 gallon buckets is completely under and I cannot see any of the top pipe pieces as of now

Broncosfan
08-21-2022, 07:05 PM
Looks great!

Is the plastic held down with bricks/rocks for rain catchment/stop erosion, and to direct rainfall to deep end until pond fills?

You'll have froggers and such moving in soon.

I have landscaping blocks on the plastic which helped during this downpour. The plastic was to cover the sand and keep the cats out until the pond filled. We ended up with some sand erosion but thats is okay. It will settle down to the bottom before long.

Inor
08-21-2022, 10:17 PM
WOW! That is filling up fast. When you first said that you were just going to let nature take its course to fill it, I was skeptical if you would have much of a pond for the first 5 years. You obviously did your research and know your shit boyo! It is looking great!

Broncosfan
08-22-2022, 03:01 AM
Honestly I wasn't sure how long it would take. I was figuring 10" -13" of rain overall and full by spring. The pond receives a lot of runoff from the surrounding fields so its hard to calculate exactly. The rain we had this weekend is more like a spring storm. We were amazed in how it filled to this point. I had 2 fish habitats end up in the bottom from Saturdays storm. I doubt I will try to retrieve them. I was planning to anchor them better as soon as it dried up but that didn't go to well. We're way behind now getting rocks and other fish habitat in before the water level gets to where we cannot place them exactly where we want them. We're definitely making progress fast. I have to pick up more straw today to help stop some erosion. Probably have a lot of grass seed to replace but its a little early to tell about that yet.

Broncosfan
08-22-2022, 08:27 AM
So the erosion issues could have been a lot worse. We have some repairs to make for sure. Nothing drastic but work that I didn't expect. 19734

Mad Trapper
08-22-2022, 09:59 AM
Could throw a few small conifers in the pond to keep the fish happy until you have permanent structures in place.

If you tie a rope on the trunks you can pull them out easily when you want.

Broncosfan
09-04-2022, 04:13 PM
So I thought I would update. We've been working on the erosion we had a couple of weeks ago. We have it under control. Still some work to do. Grass is starting well on the dam and around the edges of the pond. The field has been slow to sprout but we're seeing some progress. I think a lot of seed washed during the downpour. I haven't reseeded much just to see if it needs a little more time. We took the paddle boat out today. Recovered 2 of the fish habitats that I didn't have secure to start with. Measured the deepest end and we're right at 6' maybe a bit more. I don't think we added a lot more water during the last rains. Maybe 2" this weekend at best. Evaporation can be 2-3" per week from what I read. So September is a rainy month for us so it will be interesting to see where we stand come October 1. I will drop a pic or 2 next week as the weather gets a little less gloomy.

hawgrider
09-14-2022, 08:35 PM
Hows the pond doing? Fill up yet?

Broncosfan
09-14-2022, 10:16 PM
Hows the pond doing? Fill up yet?

No we haven't had that much rain since we got the downpour that caused all the washing issues. Some sprinkles here and there. Helped keep the grass growing. From the marker I put out over Labor day weekend the water level hasn't changed much. Maybe added 1/2"-1"

Broncosfan
09-21-2022, 03:13 PM
So I was walking around looking at the pond this morning. Noticed that it was clearing up. So I just couldn't wait to see what it would look like. So I put dye in it. 20092

MountainGirl
09-21-2022, 03:16 PM
Yer gonna have blue fish!!

Pretty though. :)

Box of frogs
09-21-2022, 04:48 PM
So I was walking around looking at the pond this morning. Noticed that it was clearing up. So I just couldn't wait to see what it would look like. So I put dye in it. 20092

Is that pond water chemicals?
Antibiotics for the fish? Algae inhibitors?

Mad Trapper
09-21-2022, 05:54 PM

Gator Bluefish!!!!

Broncosfan
09-21-2022, 06:37 PM

No the dye doesn't turn anything blue but the water as long as you mix it correctly

Broncosfan
09-21-2022, 06:42 PM
Is that pond water chemicals?
Antibiotics for the fish? Algae inhibitors?

Its a just a dye. It has no additives. It does help keep the pond cooler and clearer. We're not up t a water level to add fish. Hoping soon. Its up to Mother Nature now. Our forecast tonight is for 1-2" of rain so we will see what happens.

Ricekila
09-22-2022, 02:39 AM
Tell the truth ---- have you christened it yet ?

Slippy
09-22-2022, 05:24 AM
Tell the truth ---- have you christened it yet ?

MountainGirl
09-22-2022, 05:32 AM
um... close. :biglaugh:

Ricekila
09-22-2022, 08:08 AM
um... close. :biglaugh:

Remember Goyem & Gals --- "Its only an ool - till you put in the p" --

MountainGirl
09-22-2022, 08:22 AM
sometimes I wise up just in time.
other times, not so much.
:biglaugh:

Ricekila
09-22-2022, 08:39 AM
sometimes I wise up just in time.
other times, not so much.
:biglaugh:

Did I ever tell you about the time the #1st mrs ricekila and I & went white water rafting down the Lehigh River in Potselvaina ----- she had to buy a gallon of crouch stuff ---- she had the itchies for a week --

To much info ?

I think one of our kids was conceived that day --- I wanted to call her Bob -- or Rocky ----

hawgrider
09-22-2022, 08:39 AM
Cept that water might be getting a bit chilly.

Ricekila
09-22-2022, 08:46 AM

Green for St Patrick's ?

MountainGirl
09-22-2022, 08:59 AM
Did I ever tell you about the time the #1st mrs ricekila and I & went white water rafting down the Lehigh River in Potselvaina ----- she had to buy a gallon of crouch stuff ---- she had the itchies for a week --

To much info ?

I think one of our kids was conceived that day --- I wanted to call her Bob -- or Rocky ----

Absolutely not TMI ! Funny as hell and I love that most of us know what the other is talkin about even without the words.
Hawg :thumb:

Broncosfan
09-22-2022, 12:46 PM
Little early for St. Patrick's day! It did start off with a green look but over time its pretty well blue now

Broncosfan
11-15-2022, 06:47 PM
These were take over a week ago. The pond is down over 12" since Labor day. Also these are our Johnny Apple seed trees that we planted. 20671
We had some rain since these pics were taken. Probably down 4" now.

MountainGirl
11-16-2022, 06:30 AM
Hey that's coming along nice :)

The surrounding area where you seeded looks pretty good after being so torn up from the build.
I like the fencing around the trees; did that on the mtn but had it too close - bambi just leaned over pushed in and chomped.
Later we chomped bambi. :D

Broncosfan
11-16-2022, 03:05 PM
Hey that's coming along nice :)

The surrounding area where you seeded looks pretty good after being so torn up from the build.
I like the fencing around the trees; did that on the mtn but had it too close - bambi just leaned over pushed in and chomped.
Later we chomped bambi. :D

Yes things are doing well. I wasn't sure how the grass would turn out since we got a washout right after building the pond and I got the seed down. We reseeded and straightened out the mess so just letting it grow for now. I have more almost invested in the fence around the trees than I have in the trees. I'm watching for any sign of deer if they start pushing the fence in I will put rods across the top so that they can't push it in. I have trees on the property line that the deer are rubbing on. Trying to keep them away Irish Spring soap has worked n the past. Might need to replace the soap to be effective.

Broncosfan
11-24-2022, 06:22 PM
So this is how we done the pond in lights for this holiday season. 20741

Ricekila
11-24-2022, 08:06 PM
No upside down - wire deer hung from a tree with a stream of red LED's dripping out of it ?

Broncosfan
11-24-2022, 08:19 PM
No upside down - wire deer hung from a tree with a stream of red LED's dripping out of it ?

That one never even crossed my mind. I thought about Santa with a shotgun on my blind on top of the storage container though

Ricekila
11-24-2022, 09:08 PM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/24-Nov-7.png (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/24-Nov-7.png)

Mad Trapper
11-25-2022, 05:06 AM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/24-Nov-7.png (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/24-Nov-7.png)

TJC44
11-27-2022, 10:04 AM
Years ago, when I was married to wife #1, she would go crazy at Christmastime with the lights and shit. She had picked up a couple of those lighted deer for the yard. After I took up archery, 1 year I put an arrow through one of the lighted deer, just slid it in place. She didn't think it was as funny as I did.

shootbrownelk
11-27-2022, 07:53 PM
After Christmas when they clearance those metal wire deer, I'm going to cut one up and reweld it like that hanging one. Funny stuff. I love pissing off the bunny huggers, and my place is on the way to a junior high. It'll get plenty of exposure.

Broncosfan
12-15-2022, 06:36 PM
So the latest on the pond. It been just a few days more than 4 months since it was finished. Rainfall has been 13.98 inches. We're now above where we were at Labor day weekend. Although I don't know the exact deep. It seems the deer pulled the small stakes out of the ground on the dam so I'm only guessing at this point.20955 I do know we've added at least 8" the past few weeks. Although depth was added the overall water width has increased significantly. At least 4' in the 3 open sides. Tomorrow we plan to take the paddle boat out one last time before it freezes just to see if we can get a better depth idea. I also plan to put out a couple more stakes to monitor the water level as winter continues.

Broncosfan
12-28-2022, 08:52 PM
So after our below zero temperatures over the 21095
21096Christmas weekend this is how it looks

Sasquatch
12-28-2022, 09:16 PM
So after our below zero temperatures over the 21095
21096Christmas weekend this is how it looks

Ice skating!

Mad Trapper
12-28-2022, 09:45 PM
Ice skating HOCKEY!!!!

Fixed it

Broncosfan
12-28-2022, 09:50 PM
Ice skating!

Maybe one day Right now I know better than to be on the ice in December. Usually it late January-February before its actually safe. We're in the 40's now and headed to 50's and looking at 60's by early next week. Crazy weather for us right now.

Mad Trapper
12-28-2022, 10:11 PM
Maybe one day Right now I know better than to be on the ice in December. Usually it late January-February before its actually safe. We're in the 40's now and headed to 50's and looking at 60's by early next week. Crazy weather for us right now.

Ponds iced up last week , near 0 oF a few nights, the brave out fishing. This/next week heat wave > freezing day/night.

Good for me I was laid up and can move out cordwood from woodlot with snow knocked down.

I remember ice fishing before Thanksgiving, and shore fishing in January. Haven't felt good with a truck on the ice a few years now.

Keep us up to date on the pond, I want to see spring stocking!

P.S. early ice always carry and use a spud. Wack the ice every few feet. On lakes I've seen it go from a foot to an inch, one yard over deep water(>40')

Sasquatch
12-28-2022, 11:54 PM
Fixed it

I was thinking more kids having fun than queers in sequin outfits.

Broncosfan
12-29-2022, 02:59 AM
Ponds iced up last week , near 0 oF a few nights, the brave out fishing. This/next week heat wave > freezing day/night.

Good for me I was laid up and can move out cordwood from woodlot with snow knocked down.

I remember ice fishing before Thanksgiving, and shore fishing in January. Haven't felt good with a truck on the ice a few years now.

Keep us up to date on the pond, I want to see spring stocking!

P.S. early ice always carry and use a spud. Wack the ice every few feet. On lakes I've seen it go from a foot to an inch, one yard over deep water(>40')

Our plan right now is to stock sometime in April. That also depends on how it fills up. As far as getting on the ice I'm only going by what my step-dad taught me. Needless to say I'm a bit chicken and want to make sure it well frozen before I attempt walking on it. We have a measurable amount of rain and higher temperatures coming for the weekend so I figure most if not all of the ice will be gone rather quickly.

Mad Trapper
12-30-2022, 12:43 PM
Our plan right now is to stock sometime in April. That also depends on how it fills up. As far as getting on the ice I'm only going by what my step-dad taught me. Needless to say I'm a bit chicken and want to make sure it well frozen before I attempt walking on it. We have a measurable amount of rain and higher temperatures coming for the weekend so I figure most if not all of the ice will be gone rather quickly.

Looks to be warm water, not spring fed, Get minnows, yellow perch and bass. Start the minnows first/now.

If you have a cold water feed , 24/7 trout might work.

Nice work Sir!!!

shootbrownelk
12-30-2022, 02:59 PM
If you stock yellow perch you had better add a few Northern Pike or Tiger (sterile) muskies to control the perch or even the bluegills, the Bass won't do it alone.

Broncosfan
12-30-2022, 05:56 PM
As of now we will stock Bluegill, Hybrid Bluegill, Red Eared Shellcrackers and Largemouth Bass. I won't be put in any catfish as from what I know they will end up in there by other means. Offhand I cannot remember why I wasn't planning on putting Yellow Perch maybe it was the size of my pond but I will need to think about that. Talking with the fish hatchery I asked about putting minnows in early. They told me that they haven't seen a big enough difference in a pond that had minnows put in early before the main fish. So I've heard it both ways. Also we won't be stocking fingerlings. We will be stocking larger fish. Yes more expensive but its worth it. We also plan to feed a quality fish food that is good for all species of fish that we're stocking. The fish habitat was critical to help get the pond off to a good start. We're also adding artificial plants to help add habitat early. Now to figure out what windmill we want for aeration. Just found out the prices are going up $100-200 after next week. Probably just bite the bullet and wait and pay th enew price so I don't have to store it for a couple of months

Mad Trapper
12-30-2022, 10:12 PM
If you stock yellow perch you had better add a few Northern Pike or Tiger (sterile) muskies to control the perch or even the bluegills, the Bass won't do it alone.

tiger muskies + 1 You can do it again , but can't go back with pickerl/pike

keep out any/all catfish, they are not eatable until large.

If you just want a catfish pond, go for it. SOB to clean but good meat.

Broncosfan
01-03-2023, 08:35 AM
So we ended the year with a little over 46" of rain. We got 14.50" since the pond was finished. Since midnight we've got 1.25". The pond has added right @ 12" of depth since midnight. Its still raining but here is a pic from about an hour ago. 21131

hawgrider
01-03-2023, 09:47 AM
Looking better!

Broncosfan
01-03-2023, 09:55 AM
Looking better!

Still having some trouble with washing. I think that should settle once its full. I was trying to get some rock in but its started raining before I could get done what I was hoping too.

Slippy
01-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Looking good, nice job!

So we ended the year with a little over 46" of rain. We got 14.50" since the pond was finished. Since midnight we've got 1.25". The pond has added right @ 12" of depth since midnight. Its still raining but here is a pic from about an hour ago. 21131

Broncosfan
01-10-2023, 06:38 PM
So after our rain last week we're now 36" from being full! I'm working as much as possible to get some rock in place to prevent washing in the future. We have rain on the way for tomorrow evening and Thursday.21190
Also built these spawning spots for the Fathead minnows. 21191
It would be long before we're sitting around enjoying a nice drink as the sun is going down!

hawgrider
01-10-2023, 07:10 PM
Excellent!

Best part will be when its time for fishing!

Broncosfan
01-10-2023, 07:16 PM
Excellent!

Best part will be when its time for fishing!

We will be fishing this year but catch and release. I just noticed the price list for 2023 is now on the fish hatchery website. So I should be able to order any day. I still have out figure out my last 25 fish. I asking a lot of questions to get the ratio right.

Sasquatch
01-10-2023, 08:42 PM
We will be fishing this year but catch and release. I just noticed the price list for 2023 is now on the fish hatchery website. So I should be able to order any day. I still have out figure out my last 25 fish. I asking a lot of questions to get the ratio right.

Forgive my ignorance for this question but is there any kind of treatment you need to do to get the water to cycle or do you just let nature do it's thing? I ask because I keep some freshwater fish tanks and to get them to cycle and get the water housing the right organisms for life there are ways of speeding up the process.

Broncosfan
01-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Forgive my ignorance for this question but is there any kind of treatment you need to do to get the water to cycle or do you just let nature do it's thing? I ask because I keep some freshwater fish tanks and to get them to cycle and get the water housing the right organisms for life there are ways of speeding up the process.

We will be putting in a windmill that will pump oxygen into the bottom of the pond. This will help with hot summer and winter fish kills. This isn't a must but its the route we're going to help prevent hot summer and cold winter fish kills due to low oxygen levels. The trade off is that the ice will never completely so any activities on the ice are out of the question due to safety concerns. there are other ways to add oxygen also. Some people elect not to take this step.

Mad Trapper
01-10-2023, 10:24 PM
Looks good.

Besides minnows as forage have you considered adding some insect larva? Mayflies stonefly dragonfly, etc. They will add a lot of food and not effect the fish too much.

https://pondinformer.com/list-of-aquatic-pond-insects/

Another thought is a small species of crayfish.

Broncosfan
01-12-2023, 08:13 PM
Another crazy January day here in southeastern, Ohio. Todays rainfall is 1.09" so far. We're almost at 3.5" for the month. Added over 8" of depth today. I don't know the exact depth but the marker I put in 4 weeks ago is now under water and I had it set to show 36" added depth. I'm not complaining rather have the rain than snow. 21213
Anyways the new rock work helped out. We're still losing sand but no way to stop that with these heavy downpours.

Inor
01-12-2023, 11:52 PM
Another crazy January day here in southeastern, Ohio. Todays rainfall is 1.09" so far. We're almost at 3.5" for the month. Added over 8" of depth today. I don't know the exact depth but the marker I put in 4 weeks ago is now under water and I had it set to show 36" added depth. I'm not complaining rather have the rain than snow. 21213
Anyways the new rock work helped out. We're still losing sand but no way to stop that with these heavy downpours.

It looks like the sand cannot really go anywhere right? If so, it will come back eventually. You just need enough wind to give you some whitecaps. :biglaugh:

Broncosfan
01-13-2023, 06:35 AM
It looks like the sand cannot really go anywhere right? If so, it will come back eventually. You just need enough wind to give you some whitecaps. :biglaugh:

Inor

We're really not actually losing it. I should have been a little more careful on my wording. We put 28 tons of sand basically where the rock are on the bottom of the pic. We wanted the sand so if we decided we want to actually get in the pond on a hot day we wouldn't be walking in the slick clay. My thought was to bring it in while the ground was in shape to handle the truck. Plus we had a dozer onsite if the truck happened to get stuck. I never even thought about runoff. So we really didn't "Lose" the sand it went into the bottom of the pond. In the long run it will benefit the fish more. Now after some thought on what to do we will probably use washed river gravel. With it being smooth and round it will be easy on our feet. I also think the bigger rock will hold it in place. I'm learning as we go so I've made a few mistakes along the way lucky they weren't costly ones.

Broncosfan
01-15-2023, 09:18 PM
We added more fish habitat today and more rock around the edges. We have more rain in the forecast some we're rushing to get done as much as we can. Looks like 1/4" Monday evening and 1/2" Wednesday evening. The pond actually has a ice layer at the present time. So we couldn't submerge the milk crate habitats today that we built last night. We have 50 degree plus days in the forecast. So the ice will be gone soon. I also measured from the water level up to the bottom of the overflow pipe. We're 25" away from a full pond!

Inor
01-15-2023, 09:30 PM
Inor

We're really not actually losing it. I should have been a little more careful on my wording. We put 28 tons of sand basically where the rock are on the bottom of the pic. We wanted the sand so if we decided we want to actually get in the pond on a hot day we wouldn't be walking in the slick clay. My thought was to bring it in while the ground was in shape to handle the truck. Plus we had a dozer onsite if the truck happened to get stuck. I never even thought about runoff. So we really didn't "Lose" the sand it went into the bottom of the pond. In the long run it will benefit the fish more. Now after some thought on what to do we will probably use washed river gravel. With it being smooth and round it will be easy on our feet. I also think the bigger rock will hold it in place. I'm learning as we go so I've made a few mistakes along the way lucky they weren't costly ones.

I was just messin' with ya pal... :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, won't the sand being in the pond rather than around it also help to keep the water cleaner?

Broncosfan
01-16-2023, 06:35 AM
I was just messin' with ya pal... :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, won't the sand being in the pond rather than around it also help to keep the water cleaner?

I really don't know if it would keep it cleaner or not. There is always a possibility it would. My thought is that it will end up on the bottom and will some what cover the clay bottom. I would think that during the better part of the year if would keep the mud from being stirred up. Except at spawning time I figure the mud will be stirred somewhat from the fish making spawning areas. When they bring the fish for stocking I will try to remember to ask that about it.

bigwheel
01-16-2023, 09:51 PM
Ok..did we seal this pond bottom with Bentonite? To keep all the water from leaking out? Thats important on sandy land ya know?

Broncosfan
01-17-2023, 03:03 AM
Ok..did we seal this pond bottom with Bentonite? To keep all the water from leaking out? Thats important on sandy land ya know?

No Bentonite was used. Our soil has a high clay ratio. I actually had someone onsite when we dug test holes to see what the soil looked like in different parts of the area. It was very surprising to see the difference in each spot. The soil guy rated each test hole and the excavator went by that when building the dam and the pond bottom.

Broncosfan
02-06-2023, 08:42 AM
Quick update. January we had over 5" of rain. Very little so far in February. We done a quick measure yesterday afternoon. 16" until it hits the overflow pipe. I believe that we will be at the full mark and the overflow pipe will be in use well before we stock in late March /early April. I will snap a pic or 2 in the next couple of days. It really is incredible to walk around it and watch the progress. Hope all of you aren't getting sick of seeing our project as it slowing takes shape!

MountainGirl
02-06-2023, 08:49 AM
Quick update. January we had over 5" of rain. Very little so far in February. We done a quick measure yesterday afternoon. 16" until it hits the overflow pipe. I believe that we will be at the full mark and the overflow pipe will be in use well before we stock in late March /early April. I will snap a pic or 2 in the next couple of days. It really is incredible to walk around it and watch the progress. Hope all of you aren't getting sick of seeing our project as it slowing takes shape!

Not at all!! Keep the pics coming! :)

Sparkyprep
02-06-2023, 07:19 PM
Love these pics.

Broncosfan
02-11-2023, 06:01 PM
Beautiful February Sunset! 21524

About 13"until full pond!

Box of frogs
02-11-2023, 07:09 PM
Absolutely beautiful pictures.

Inor
02-12-2023, 08:24 AM
Wow! That's just rain/snow water? Impressive. When you first said you were going to fill it with rainwater, I did not think it would work. I stand corrected.

Excellent job!!! 'Atta boys all around for the Broc crew!

Slippy
02-12-2023, 09:14 AM
Paradise!

Beautiful February Sunset! 21524

About 13"until full pond!

Broncosfan
02-12-2023, 04:53 PM
Wow! That's just rain/snow water? Impressive. When you first said you were going to fill it with rainwater, I did not think it would work. I stand corrected.

Excellent job!!! 'Atta boys all around for the Broc crew!

I have everything written down and on the day day it hits the overflow pipe I will work on a grand total. Snowfall has been almost been crazy low so far. We're not finished with winter by a long shot yet. Rain on the other hand has been absolutely crazy. We added 3' right after Christmas. January rainfall was a whopping 5.5". We have rain in the forecast for Thursday prediction of 1/4"-1/2" plus. It won't top it off but it should make a dent in it.

Broncosfan
02-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Paradise!

We think so! At least its ours and there is really no other place the family and I would rather be. A picnic shelter is in the long range plans.

RubberDuck
02-12-2023, 06:06 PM
I am one bad financial decision away from having a 100×100x16 put in for around $8K would make this place perfect

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

hawgrider
02-12-2023, 06:23 PM
I am one bad financial decision away from having a 100×100x16 put in for around $8K would make this place perfect

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Small pond full of bluegills would be the nuts!

shootbrownelk
02-12-2023, 08:52 PM
Small pond full of bluegills would be the nuts!
Dang it....don't forget a couple dozen Tiger muskies. LOL

Broncosfan
02-23-2023, 02:27 PM
Just couldn't resist taking this picture today it was such a perfect morning. It was a beautiful February day! A little breezy but so far we've hit 75 degrees. we've now down to the last 12" until we hit the over flow pipe. 21665

Sasquatch
02-23-2023, 05:48 PM
Just couldn't resist taking this picture today it was such a perfect morning. It was a beautiful February day! A little breezy but so far we've hit 75 degrees. we've now down to the last 12" until we hit the over flow pipe. 21665

I was just looking at the first picture you posted. You've come a long way! Congrats on a beautiful pond.

hawgrider
02-23-2023, 06:06 PM
Picture perfect pond!

Broncosfan
02-23-2023, 06:09 PM
I was just looking at the first picture you posted. You've come a long way! Congrats on a beautiful pond.

Sasquatch Yes your right we've came a long way. It almost unreal to walk around it as were watching it as it comes to life.

Broncosfan
02-23-2023, 06:13 PM
Picture perfect pond!

Hawgrider it sure made a difference in the landscape. The deer absolutely are loving it also. They have a trail cut on the lower side of the dam already. They starting to cut another trail on the dam at the water line. That I really don't understand why they walk down the dam to get a drink when there is easier access points.

Slippy
02-23-2023, 06:35 PM
Success!

Broncosfan
02-23-2023, 06:43 PM
Success!

Absolutely still a little minor things to do but the major part is now completed!

Broncosfan
03-04-2023, 07:50 PM
So we got another .62" rain Friday. Our forecast was for double that amount. We're now right @ 6" until it hits the overflow. Its really getting wider. The majority of the fish habitat is completely submerged. 21772 All rock/gravel is now in place.

Ricekila
03-04-2023, 07:58 PM
Ya-should get a small row boat or canoe and leave it nearby ---- just for show - L

Broncosfan
03-04-2023, 08:11 PM
Ya-should get a small row boat or canoe and leave it nearby ---- just for show - L

We have a small pedal boat but I'm afraid to leave it out. Too much unusual traffic on our road lately. Probably picking up drugs down the road. Future plans is for a picnic shelter house on the right side of the pond facing our house. Then at least we would have a place to store and lock it up.

Ricekila
03-04-2023, 08:22 PM
One of those things that look interesting --- if only to me --

After hurricane Sandy --- one of the houses that were rebuilt & raised up --- tied to their front step railings -- is a small row boat -- just sitting on the grass --- I get a little chuckle every time I pass it ----- pic next time I think of it --

I bet ---- one good paddle stroke - you could zip across and beach it - LL ( maybe two ? )

Ricekila
03-04-2023, 08:26 PM
Or at least get a model elect. powered battle ship & a sub --

With a little money and some insanity --- "The Battle of Dunkirk" -- in your backyard ?

Broncosfan
03-11-2023, 05:41 PM
We put 10lbs of Fathead minnows in this afternoon so they will get situated before the main stock is put in. They gave me a approximate 2 weeks before they're able to deliver to us. Their already stocking earlier orders. So its just a matter of time.

Broncosfan
03-16-2023, 09:01 PM
So a pair of Canadian Geese are trying to take up residency at the pond. We scared then off the last couple of days. They're leaving messes everywhere. I ordered a surprise for them. I have a floating gator head that will be used later as a marker for the aerator bubbler. For now I plan to tie it on a concrete block so that it can float about 10' in each direction. Once the windmill is in I will actually need 2 of the gators.

I also found what I believe to be frog eggs. I was told that its a little early and cold for frog eggs that it probably is toad eggs. From what I read though I still believe its frog eggs by the way the mass is intact. We will watch and see should know for sure in a week or so. Anyways should make some good food for the soon to arrive fish. Rain expected today so we will see where our depth is tomorrow.

Broncosfan
03-17-2023, 06:11 PM
The decoy is deployed! Lets see how it works! 21895

Box of frogs
03-17-2023, 07:30 PM
Are there any gators in Ohio ?

Broncosfan
03-17-2023, 09:26 PM
Are there any gators in Ohio ?

Are you asking if there native then no. They couldn't survive our winters. I'm sure someone has a pet or two. Someone found a crocodile a few years ago in a creek near Columbus. Someone had released it and I believe it was around 7'. Some people are just plain stupid. Someone could have easily been killed.

StratBastard
03-21-2023, 10:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NDu4XHj_imc

Broncosfan
03-22-2023, 03:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NDu4XHj_imc

Wow that is a lot of fish!

Inor
03-22-2023, 05:37 AM
Are you asking if there native then no. They couldn't survive our winters. I'm sure someone has a pet or two. Someone found a crocodile a few years ago in a creek near Columbus. Someone had released it and I believe it was around 7'. Some people are just plain stupid. Someone could have easily been killed.

As I recall, Columbus has quite a few Somalis. Maybe the croc was just a tourist, in town on one of those local food vacations?

Broncosfan
03-22-2023, 11:47 AM
As I recall, Columbus has quite a few Somalis. Maybe the croc was just a tourist, in town on one of those local food vacations?

Possible but I don't think he was able to make the return trip home. I figure he made someone fertilizer someone around Columbus.

Broncosfan
03-23-2023, 01:10 PM
Time is getting closer to baiting hooks here in southeastern Ohio! Wow 48hrs until we have the pond stocked with fish! We have a forecast of up to 3" of rain so its possible that the pond will be full. We're going to the fish hatchery and pick them up. They only like to deliver when they they have several customers close together. So I'm not waiting 2 more weeks. I will post as many pics as I can afterwards. The project is almost complete. Well if you don't count the windmill but I'm ordering it this week.

Box of frogs
03-23-2023, 04:00 PM
Time is getting closer to baiting hooks here in southeastern Ohio! Wow 48hrs until we have the pond stocked with fish! We have a forecast of up to 3" of rain so its possible that the pond will be full. We're going to the fish hatchery and pick them up. They only like to deliver when they they have several customers close together. So I'm not waiting 2 more weeks. I will post as many pics as I can afterwards. The project is almost complete. Well if you don't count the windmill but I'm ordering it this week.

You should be proud of this project. It turned out better that ever expected.
Thanks for sharing the pics with us and enjoy reeling in them whoppers !
BoF

Broncosfan
03-23-2023, 04:50 PM
You should be proud of this project. It turned out better that ever expected.
Thanks for sharing the pics with us and enjoy reeling in them whoppers !
BoF

Thank you BOF!

We're definitely very proud of how it turned out. We've got a lot of complements locally on how it turned out. We put a lot of sweat equity into it over the last 14 months to get this far.

shootbrownelk
03-25-2023, 06:06 AM

It isn't that they're stupid, they just don't give a fuck if it kills someone.

Broncosfan
03-25-2023, 03:40 PM
So a quick update. Took a walk this morning around the pond surprised that it finished filling this morning. So it took 226 days, 25.02 inches of rain to complete the fill. I really wanted to see it full before we stocked it. We finished stocking it this afternoon. I will post pics as soon as possible. We're having a very windy afternoon and our power is out and we're running the generator for now!

Mad Trapper
03-25-2023, 04:48 PM
Ye Haw!!!

Hope this thread lasts years..........

The DFW just stocked trout local.

Broncosfan
03-25-2023, 05:13 PM

Broncosfan
03-26-2023, 09:28 PM
So the stocking went fairly well. We had high winds and that made things a bit difficult. Trying to hold some fish to get a picture seemed the most difficult. I guess they didn't want there pic taken. So here are a few pics.21988

Mad Trapper
03-26-2023, 09:33 PM
Was 2nd picture a (flying) goldfish?

Broncosfan
03-26-2023, 09:52 PM

Yep!

Broncosfan
03-27-2023, 04:50 AM

Actually it was a flying Koi. It was nearing impossible to hold on to any of the fish let alone trying to hold it long enough to get a decent pic.

hawgrider
03-27-2023, 07:18 AM
Why would you put koi in with the game/dinner fish?

shootbrownelk
03-27-2023, 09:58 AM
I must have missed the Tiger Muskie photo...:fishing:

hawgrider
03-27-2023, 02:51 PM

Well yeah I was thinking stock blue gills, perch, crappie and a couple bass.

Those koi atrrack the hell out of cranes. They wiped out a koi pond I had way back when.

Mad Trapper
03-27-2023, 04:41 PM

I see perch bluegill and largemouth are all fine eating!

What sort of minnows are in the mix?

Not sure about the koi? They omnivorous and can can clean up vegetation and eat algae, but will eat fish eggs, and get large (3') and will root up the bottom as they are a carp.

Quick check said they don't get along with bluegills. -"You should avoid keeping bluegill with any kind of Carp. Bluegill and Carp are natural rivals and they can be very destructive to your garden when competing for food and resources."

https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/koi-fish/

Maybe @Broncosfan can fill us in.

Box of frogs
03-27-2023, 05:18 PM

They make excellent targets for bow fishing practice.
They kinda glow under the surface.
BoF

Broncosfan
03-27-2023, 08:01 PM

After talking with the hatchery I found out in small numbers they won't cause any problems with the pond. Plus I wanted to get my daughter more involved. She was able to pick out the ones she wanted. Although they will reproduce it will be more food for the bass. Turns out they also eat there young.

Broncosfan
03-27-2023, 08:07 PM

A couple of reasons. They aren't offered from the hatchery I dealt with. Also from my reading small pond aren't really good habitat for them and don't produce the best food for Tiger Muskies.

Broncosfan
03-27-2023, 08:41 PM
I see perch bluegill and largemouth are all fine eating!

What sort of minnows are in the mix?

Not sure about the koi? They omnivorous and can can clean up vegetation and eat algae, but will eat fish eggs, and get large (3') and will root up the bottom as they are a carp.

Quick check said they don't get along with bluegills. -"You should avoid keeping bluegill with any kind of Carp. Bluegill and Carp are natural rivals and they can be very destructive to your garden when competing for food and resources."

https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/koi-fish/

Maybe @Broncosfan can fill us in.

We stocked stocked 10 lbs of Fathead minnows 2 weeks before and another 5lbs the day we stocked the other fish.
Based on all of my reading and talking with the fish hatchery all of the fish will do fine together. It just depends where you get your information. It always seems you can find opposite answers to your questions on the internet. The fish management team and I discussed how many Koi we should stock. We went with 10. Now one day we might encounter a problem but I doubt it. We plan to maintain the pond regularly. Not just stock it and see what happens. The bass are big enough to keep them in check now. So I doubt we will ever see any offspring get to any noticeable size. I wasn't planning to dump dozens of Koi in the pond. Thats just not smart. We also plan to feed so that will help with control some of there foraging at the bottom. We also planted grass on the sides and as the water level rose the grass is no underwater. The ratio of Bluegill to Koi 165/10. Only time will tell but I believe all is good!.

Broncosfan
03-27-2023, 08:50 PM
Well yeah I was thinking stock blue gills, perch, crappie and a couple bass.

Those koi atrrack the hell out of cranes. They wiped out a koi pond I had way back when.

The alligator floating around seems to be keeping everything at bay. Now the geese did come back a couple of times. Never in the water we seen. They did get close to the swan decoys because we seen droppings. We have only seen them in the field 150' from the pond. So once the windmill goes in there will be another alligator. The gators will be tied to the diffusers at the bottom. That way i can easily find the diffusers for maintenance or to move them. So hopefully 2 gator will work to keep other birds from preying on the fish in the pond.

Mad Trapper
03-27-2023, 09:26 PM
We stocked stocked 10 lbs of Fathead minnows 2 weeks before and another 5lbs the day we stocked the other fish.
Based on all of my reading and talking with the fish hatchery all of the fish will do fine together. It just depends where you get your information. It always seems you can find opposite answers to your questions on the internet. The fish management team and I discussed how many Koi we should stock. We went with 10. Now one day we might encounter a problem but I doubt it. We plan to maintain the pond regularly. Not just stock it and see what happens. The bass are big enough to keep them in check now. So I doubt we will ever see any offspring get to any noticeable size. I wasn't planning to dump dozens of Koi in the pond. Thats just not smart. We also plan to feed so that will help with control some of there foraging at the bottom. We also planted grass on the sides and as the water level rose the grass is no underwater. The ratio of Bluegill to Koi 165/10. Only time will tell but I believe all is good!.

I'm sure you researched the/which fish to be stocked, just was surprised at the koi.

Keep the posts coming on the pond, looking forward to fishing pictures.

Broncosfan
03-28-2023, 05:13 AM
I'm sure you researched the/which fish to be stocked, just was surprised at the koi.

Keep the posts coming on the pond, looking forward to fishing pictures.

One thing we planned was to add sometime down the road was some White Amur ( Grass carp ) to keep vegetation growth to a minimum. So basically the Koi will do the same thing. As big as the bass are I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Koi disappear along the way. Anyways there nice to see in the pond and it will give us more to look forward to especially when were out feeding them in the very near future.

shootbrownelk
03-28-2023, 10:36 AM
One thing we planned was to add sometime down the road was some White Amur ( Grass carp ) to keep vegetation growth to a minimum. So basically the Koi will do the same thing. As big as the bass are I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Koi disappear along the way. Anyways there nice to see in the pond and it will give us more to look forward to especially when were out feeding them in the very near future.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Grass carp an invasive species? They do a lot of damage I've read.

Broncosfan
03-28-2023, 11:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Grass carp an invasive species? They do a lot of damage I've read.

They can be in numbers. Most states you need a permit to even have them in your pond. I also don't think your allowed them if you pond/lake connects to a natural waterway. The ones I planned to get in the future were certified "sterile"

Broncosfan
03-30-2023, 05:53 PM
Since this is part of the pond project I will continue on in the same thread.
Got back from taking the son to a doctors appointment and found this: 22047
Turns out although they were supposed to call before delivery they didn't. Wasn't expecting it until next week at the earliest. So we have a windmill in a box. lol
It will be closer to May before I tackle this project. I would rather the ground dry up a bit before we get this erected.

Broncosfan
05-02-2023, 08:55 PM
So after nearly 4" of rain since its started raining on Friday. The water level stake is completely covered. Overflow is in constant use. We have seen an unbelievable amount of tadpoles which is a great food source for the fish. We lost less than a dozen fish. So I was told that is a actually a low amount of loss after stocking. 22549
Our plan as of now is to erect the windmill on Saturday. We should be able to get it built and then hopefully anchored on Sunday. Then I will start getting the air line in the ground and the diffusers in the pond as I get the time.

Inor
05-02-2023, 09:01 PM
Since this is part of the pond project I will continue on in the same thread.
Got back from taking the son to a doctors appointment and found this: 22047
Turns out although they were supposed to call before delivery they didn't. Wasn't expecting it until next week at the earliest. So we have a windmill in a box. lol
It will be closer to May before I tackle this project. I would rather the ground dry up a bit before we get this erected.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

He said "erected".

(Looking forward to this project as well!)

Mad Trapper
05-02-2023, 10:25 PM
Windmill for aeration is a great idea.

Broncosfan
05-03-2023, 07:56 AM
HAHAHAHA!!!!

He said "erected".

(Looking forward to this project as well!)

I knew someone would get a chuckle out of my choice of words!

Mad Trapper
05-03-2023, 10:18 AM
I knew someone would get a chuckle out of my choice of words!

Is the windmill running a mechanical pump for the aerator? Or electric?

That thing could be dual purpose if hooked up to an inverter/charger and a little battery bank in a small shed. Put a couple panels on the roof for when the wind is not blowing.

I could envision a gazebo or a tiny cabin with a porch, next to the pond.

Broncosfan
05-03-2023, 11:41 AM
Is the windmill running a mechanical pump for the aerator? Or electric?

That thing could be dual purpose if hooked up to an inverter/charger and a little battery bank in a small shed. Put a couple panels on the roof for when the wind is not blowing.

I could envision a gazebo or a tiny cabin with a porch, next to the pond.

Mad Trapper
Its running a mechanical pump. I like your thinking on the little cabin or gazebo. Originally we planned a picnic shelter on the side near the windmill on the far side of the pond. Now were leaning toward a gazebo on the side closest to the house. The reason for the possible change is the neighbors and their barking dogs. A solar/battery pack was my 1st idea. So we're still thinking on this on. I don't see it happening this year with everything else I have going on. Also planning a small floating dock in the future.

Mad Trapper
05-03-2023, 11:56 AM
Mad Trapper
Its running a mechanical pump. I like your thinking on the little cabin or gazebo. Originally we planned a picnic shelter on the side near the windmill on the far side of the pond. Now were leaning toward a gazebo on the side closest to the house. The reason for the possible change is the neighbors and their barking dogs. A solar/battery pack was my 1st idea. So we're still thinking on this on. I don't see it happening this year with everything else I have going on. Also planning a small floating dock in the future.

A cabin with porch is more versatile than a gazebo. Put in a tiny woodstove for winter so you'll be warm watching your tipups........

1skrewsloose
05-06-2023, 02:26 PM
He said "erected".

I remember having an erector set when I was a kid.:) Should have saved it for when I was older.

Broncosfan
05-06-2023, 07:09 PM
So we started the windmill today. Took a lot longer to get started than I expected. I'm not genus but I can follow directions but these needed more diagrams. Outside working in the bright sunlight its very hard to read each step. A few diagrams and I would have saved a lot of time. All in all I'm happy where were at. Sure I would liked to have it anchored in the field but it didn't happen. 22613
We stopped after installing the blades. It was a long day but it took us a couple of hours just to get everything ready to start.
Although it doesn't look that big in the pics its actually 24' tall and the legs set right at 10' apart.

Broncosfan
05-10-2023, 09:13 PM
We're making progress. Lost a little time getting angle of the blades right. We now have it in the field with 2 anchor points and concrete. We decided to do it this way and let the concrete dry overnight before sitting it up and finishing the last anchor point. 22686

Broncosfan
05-11-2023, 07:49 PM
So its now standing! I wish I got more pics but this project actually went together fairly quickly and I simply forgot to stop and take pics. Direction could have been a lot better. Customer service was A+. Always able to answer questions. I made it clear that the directions were really bad! There doing a time lapse video on their next install and ask me it I would look at tit and give my opinion. 22704
22706 We have a couple of days of rain so I won't be working on trenching in the pipe for a few days. Hopeful to have it finished by next weekend weather permitting.

Broncosfan
05-15-2023, 08:41 PM
Latest Update

Tonight we sank the diffusers and weighted airline in the pond. Attached the Alligator heads to each diffuser so we're able to locate them easily. I hooked it up but I still have a few minor things to finish. The wind was very calm occasionally the windmill turned but not really enough to get to see much. So only time will tell. I still plan to attach 3 cables with ground anchors and need to install a pressure relief valve and a air gauge.

The fish seem to be doing great. Sometimes there feed twice a day. Which equals 2-4 cups each time. They seem to be spawning. We're seeing a difference in size already. We seen a bass tonight that really seems to be doing well. That would probably explain the population drop of the minnows.

I'm really proud of how this project has came together. We will add a small dock in the future.

1skrewsloose
05-16-2023, 07:09 AM
Thanks for all your posts!!! I'm amazed at how far your project has come.:) Very nice to see the progress.

Slippy
05-16-2023, 08:25 AM
Latest Update

Tonight we sank the diffusers and weighted airline in the pond. Attached the Alligator heads to each diffuser so we're able to locate them easily. I hooked it up but I still have a few minor things to finish. The wind was very calm occasionally the windmill turned but not really enough to get to see much. So only time will tell. I still plan to attach 3 cables with ground anchors and need to install a pressure relief valve and a air gauge.

The fish seem to be doing great. Sometimes there feed twice a day. Which equals 2-4 cups each time. They seem to be spawning. We're seeing a difference in size already. We seen a bass tonight that really seems to be doing well. That would probably explain the population drop of the minnows.

I'm really proud of how this project has came together. We will add a small dock in the future.

You had a plan, executed it! Excellent job, thread and followup! Proud of you!

Broncosfan
05-17-2023, 08:12 PM
So today while I was mowing I could actually see the windmill turning and I could see bubbles. I was trying to get the diffusers adjusted so that both are producing the same amount of air. Every time I got off the tractor the wind would die down or completely stop. I made a couple of adjustments and I have it close but I can get it closer. So I might just have to stand out there in a storm to get it set.

Inor
05-17-2023, 08:43 PM
So today while I was mowing I could actually see the windmill turning and I could see bubbles. I was trying to get the diffusers adjusted so that both are producing the same amount of air. Every time I got off the tractor the wind would die down or completely stop. I made a couple of adjustments and I have it close but I can get it closer. So I might just have to stand out there in a storm to get it set.

Because in the middle of an electrical storm, the first place I run is right next to a big-ass steel windmill! :biglaugh:

Nice job, by the way!

Broncosfan
05-17-2023, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=Inor;255222]Because in the middle of an electrical storm, the first place I run is right next to a big-ass steel windmill! :biglaugh:

Nice job, by the way![/QUOT

Thanks Inor. It was a lot of work but well worth the time , effort and $$$$!

Mad Trapper
05-17-2023, 09:42 PM
Because in the middle of an electrical storm, the first place I run is right next to a big-ass steel windmill! :biglaugh:

Nice job, by the way!

That's something to think about. Add a grounding rod.

shootbrownelk
05-18-2023, 09:01 AM
That pond looks like it's been there forever. It looks natural. Any trees planned? Great Job BF.

Broncosfan
05-23-2023, 09:11 PM
That's something to think about. Add a grounding rod.

So the windmill is actually anchored by 3 steel rods that are drove into the ground and attached via bolted clamps. So technically not a ground rod but it should serve the purpose

Broncosfan
05-23-2023, 09:22 PM
That pond looks like it's been there forever. It looks natural. Any trees planned? Great Job BF.

Actually we planted 2 trees near the pond that were started from an original "Johnny Appleseed" tree that was from here in Ohio. I will get another picture and post soon. There just starting to top out of the tree shelters. No plans as of now for anymore trees. For a couple of reasons. One I'm not positive of how the fall leaves will effect the overall quality of the pond. The second reason is we want either a picnic shelter or a gazebo somewhere around the pond. So that decision has to be made first on where it will go. In less than 3 years we have added a lot of trees and bushes on the property. I don't have an exact count but I would say close to 150. Plus I still have 16 chestnut trees to plant this year along with about a dozen hazelnuts bushes. We could easily be close to 200 by the end of this planting season.

Broncosfan
05-29-2023, 04:52 PM
So this evening got a great surprise when we went to the pond to feed the fish. We now have "fry" and several different ones. As of now I don't know how to id each of the different types. but they were several groups swimming in different locations of the pond. 23049

Broncosfan
07-12-2023, 09:15 PM
So today it was time for a little fun! Wife and Daughter called things were slow at worked and headed home early. I got to thinking its super hot why not open up that new water slide we bought. Called up a couple of friends and they were onboard with the idea. I had it unboxed and partial inflated by the time anyone arrived. We got it set up and had a really fun afternoon. Didn't get any great pics to show but we will next time around! Here is a pic of 2 sections of the slide. We have a total of 3 sections for a total of 60'23643

hawgrider
07-12-2023, 09:46 PM
So this evening got a great surprise when we went to the pond to feed the fish. We now have "fry" and several different ones. As of now I don't know how to id each of the different types. but they were several groups swimming in different locations of the pond. 23049

How many years before that fry can be batterd and fried?

Mad Trapper
07-13-2023, 03:19 AM
You've done a great job!.

I forget, what fish are in there? Small and large.

Mad Trapper
07-13-2023, 03:23 AM

Perch or bluegills won't be long. Bass give them 2-3 years.

PS I wish I had the time/money, I could do that a my place. Same as yours not a trout pond no enough cold water.

Ricekila
07-13-2023, 05:39 AM
but they were several groups swimming in different locations of the pond.

Great thread --- but I gotta point something out --- and ------- when Wifey would toss out bread for the birdys -- when she'd waddle away with me looking out da window the birds would land --- in 20 seconds --- blue jays would be over there / starlings would be closer to the bush / cardinals would be someplace else / some other kind of bird would hop over there ----

In the jungle ya-never see chimps mixing with macaques - with mandrills - with baboons ---

The wild life - "Knows" --- to keep with their own kind ------ yet -- man insists in cramming us all together --- ?

And now back to this epic thread ---

Slippy
07-13-2023, 06:18 AM
Success! Awesome job with the pond/fish. Project was one for the ages!
Slippy Approved!

Broncosfan
07-13-2023, 06:27 AM

Honestly not many will live that long. The bass will make them breakfast, lunch and dinner! They have completely wiped out my minnow population. I stocked 18 lbs. I have to work on some better minnow habitat. A sort of nursery for them to spawn and have a better chance at making it. Pallets are a good start but I want to make my own. A lot of pallets are sprayed with insecticide and I don't want to chance putting it into my pond. I plan to build a couple smaller pallets and put an arch of some sort make of plastic hardware cloth to give them a added chance so the bass can't just pick them off at will.