PDA

View Full Version : Farmer sues John Deere for ‘right to repair’ after expensive fix at dealership

hawgrider
01-24-2022, 07:51 AM
He has always gotten his tractor repaired at a local dealer, so he was surprised to learn his only repair option was to call John Deere to adjust proprietary software on the machine, a repair he says took a John Deere technician less than three minutes but cost over $600.
https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/01/farmer-sues-john-deere-for-right-to-repair-after-expensive-fix-at-dealership.html

SOCOM42
01-24-2022, 10:27 AM
Just what in the hell does a tractor need an F'KN engine computer for???

They have operated without one for over a 100 years with an internal combustion engine.

Go back to mechanical injectors on the diesels and mechanical distributors

and mechanical fuel pumps on gas ones.

Hell I worked on ones that had gravity feed for the fuel.

I have even installed outrigger fuel tanks and electric pumps on old ones with rusted out gravity fuel tanks.

There is no need for that fancy shit, only creates headaches for the owners.

They save a few bucks on fuel consumption but you loose all that and more when they go down.

I have worked on many gas fueled tractors in the past, they were a snap to fix,

just needed a little common sense, no analyzer needed.

That "right to repair" law was passed here, but the F'KN manufactures are trying to get it overturned.

The people spoke overwhelmingly in a vote to stop the blockage of repair software info.

I guess that "we the people" don't amount to shit when money talks.

Not a big deal, but I had to buy an engine analyzer to maintain my Jeeps, just needed it.

juskom95
01-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Just what in the hell does a tractor need an F'KN engine computer for???

They have operated without one for over a 100 years with an internal combustion engine.

Go back to mechanical injectors on the diesels and mechanical distributors

and mechanical fuel pumps on gas ones.

Hell I worked on ones that had gravity feed for the fuel.

I have even installed outrigger fuel tanks and electric pumps on old ones with rusted out gravity fuel tanks.

There is no need for that fancy shit, only creates headaches for the owners.

They save a few bucks on fuel consumption but you loose all that and more when they go down.

I have worked on many gas fueled tractors in the past, they were a snap to fix,

just needed a little common sense, no analyzer needed.

That "right to repair" law was passed here, but the F'KN manufactures are trying to get it overturned.

The people spoke overwhelmingly in a vote to stop the blockage of repair software info.

I guess that "we the people" don't amount to shit when money talks.

Not a big deal, but I had to buy an engine analyzer to maintain my Jeeps, just needed it.

I would have to dig, but I bet they have had an ECU of one sort or another for a long time. I remember this coming out a few years ago, with a proprietary technology being used in the newer farm equipment.

It was different from the ODB2 systems in cars, but it was something proprietary that only the company could license.

hawgrider
01-24-2022, 12:43 PM
Imagine needing to fire up the combine because its time to run corn but have to wait 3 hours for a software update to finish before it will start.

Mad Trapper
01-24-2022, 03:20 PM
I'm still running a 1940 9N Ford with original 6V +ground system. It starts in winter and I plow snow and haul/skid logs. If you can't fix whats wrong with the tools in the lunchbox size toolbox something is very wrong. Will run a brush hog all day on the 8-gal tank with the cheapest gas. Fuel is gravity feed, 3 cleanable mesh filters and a sediment/water catch bowl. Air filter is oil bath, rinse it out and 1/2 quart of oil every 2 years.

My cars trucks are pre-1990 too

SOCOM42
01-24-2022, 03:22 PM
I would have to dig, but I bet they have had an ECU of one sort or another for a long time. I remember this coming out a few years ago, with a proprietary technology being used in the newer farm equipment.

It was different from the ODB2 systems in cars, but it was something proprietary that only the company could license.

I have the OBD2 analyzer, my point was tractors don't need them, just more shit to go wrong even faster.

Being the old buzzard that I am, I was weaned on ford engines starting in 1957, tractor and automotive.

Those first engines were flatheads, worked on all of the models right up through to the 406 ford engine.

None of that computer crap was needed for them, yeah, yeah, they help with emissions on road using machines.

Now coming shortly is the government built in ignition killer for your new car, more control over us, F'CK them!

I remember when the first primitive CPU was installed in the Chrysler's, was attached to the air filter housing.

That was a ECU job, the car I had, mid 70's one, had one, it shit the bed on me twice.

SOCOM42
01-24-2022, 03:27 PM
I'm still running a 1940 9N Ford with original 6V +ground system. It starts in winter and I plow snow and haul/skid logs. If you can't fix whats wrong with the tools in the lunchbox size toolbox something is very wrong. Will run a brush hog all day on the 8-gal tank with the cheapest gas. Fuel is gravity feed, 3 cleanable mesh filters and a sediment/water catch bowl. Air filter is oil bath, rinse it out and 1/2 quart of oil every 2 years.

My cars trucks are per-1990 too

Oh yeah, filters with bowls, made of glass, you could see the water in them!

Use to take those air filter housings and wash them out with gas.

juskom95
01-24-2022, 03:47 PM
I have the OBD2 analyzer, my point was tractors don't need them, just more shit to go wrong even faster.

Being the old buzzard that I am, I was weaned on ford engines starting in 1957, tractor and automotive.

Those first engines were flatheads, went right up through to the 406 ford engine.

None of that computer crap was needed for them, yeah, yeah, they help with emissions on road using machines.

Now coming shortly is the government built in ignition killer for your new car, more control over us, F'CK them!

II remember when the first primitive CPU was installed in the Chrysler's, was attached to the air filter housing.

That was a ECU job, the car I had, mid 70's one, had one, it shit the bed on me twice.

Fair point. I know my old '89 and '98 Dodge both had the same engine, but the newer one was PITA to work on. ODB2 is nice to find a problem, but Deere has gone well beyond that and it is just a money grabbing scheme now.

TJC44
01-24-2022, 04:47 PM
Imagine needing to fire up the combine because its time to run corn but have to wait 3 hours for a software update to finish before it will start.

Buffering....

Sparkyprep
01-24-2022, 05:56 PM
And THAT is the reason I am looking at Kubotas.

Dwight55
01-25-2022, 07:39 AM
And THAT is the reason I am looking at Kubotas.

Yeah . . . I found one (diesel) in a zero turn for the mowing . . . goes along with my 78 JD diesel 850 tractor . . . and my little Ford 1000 diesel tractor.

When that air burst bomb goes off and kills all the electronics in the eastern half of the US . . . I'll still have 3 vehicles I can drive . . . use . . . and if necessary . . . fix.

May God bless,
Dwight

LivoniaDan
05-03-2022, 04:17 PM
---snip---
----snip ---

Russian troops stole $5M worth of farm vehicles from a John Deere dealership,
which remotely locked the thieves out of the equipment

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-troops-stole-5m-worth-054540072.html