PDA

View Full Version : A good addition to your BOB or EDC bag

DerBiermeister
02-06-2015, 09:53 AM
I have become acutely aware of -- and afraid of -- catching the flu this year. I had a very rough time last March where it went into pneumonia and I spent five days in the hospital. Therefore, I am doing everything in my power to prevent a repeat of that.

For instance, last Friday, my wife and I ventured up to No. VA to be with our daughter who took us into DC to attend a Fleetwood Mac concert. I decided beforehand that I would purchase these viral protection facemasks. I wore it on the crowded metro going in and also wore it the entire time I was in the Verizon Center.

I got to thinking that in a SHTF scenario, major outbreaks of disease will be common place. For any of you that are susceptible to catching diseases, I would recommend purchasing these facemasks and keeping a supply (10 ea.?) with you in your BOB.

http://www.amazon.com/Curad-Antiviral-Face-Mask-Count/dp/B009GGUIK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423237870&sr=8-1&keywords=virus+face+mask

For a long term situation, you might consider have many boxes of these things stored at your BOL.

Montana Rancher
02-06-2015, 11:24 PM
A great post although the effectiveness of the ones you posted is a bit vague. Most particulate masks are in the 80-90% effective range, most of that has to do with how it seals around the face.

IMO the N95 mask (http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Particulate-Respirator-10-Pack/dp/B0002YKBV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423286532&sr=8-1&keywords=n95+mask)is the best bang for the buck.

I use them all the time bucking hay bales to relieve my allergy problems and they work really good.

DerBiermeister
02-07-2015, 09:31 AM
A great post although the effectiveness of the ones you posted is a bit vague. Most particulate masks are in the 80-90% effective range, most of that has to do with how it seals around the face.

IMO the N95 mask (http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Particulate-Respirator-10-Pack/dp/B0002YKBV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423286532&sr=8-1&keywords=n95+mask)is the best bang for the buck.

I use them all the time bucking hay bales to relieve my allergy problems and they work really good.

Thanks for the reply. I guess it poses an interesting dilemma -- should one go for a mask that may offer a little bit better seal or go for the one that is treated to kill the targeted viruses? I should mention that my experience with one use of the mask found that it seemed to seal good. They instruct that once you have the mask on and pulled up over your nose and down below your mouth, you are to squeeze on either side of your nose.

I just went to the Curad site and got this description:
Curad Anti-Viral Face Mask with Earloops has a hydrophilic plastic coating that rapidly absorbs aerosol droplets away from the outer surface of the mask. The first and second layers of the mask are treated with different compounds that inactivate influenza viruses. Rapid absorption ensures the influenza A and B viruses are wicked away from the outer surface. Universal flat mask with pleats inactivates 99.99% of tested influenza viruses on 5 minutes contact with the surface of the facemask. In the outer active layer, viruses are inactivated by exposure to a low pH environment. Meets ASTM F2100-07 standard.

I do NOT know dick about the ASTM standard mentioned, and even when researching that -- it was pretty much all Greek to me. LOL

OSFG
02-07-2015, 09:55 AM
I fly all the time and I see folks wearing them and I have always thought to myself...Damn, thats smart thinking...but I haven't bought them. I'm sure some say...wow they are either sick or paranoid....but I think its being prepared. Thanks Bier...I'm adding it to my stuff..I can't call it a bag..because I just have a shit ton of stuff I drive around with in my truck. More than I can carry..but at least I have options.

DerBiermeister
02-07-2015, 09:59 AM
I fly all the time and I see folks wearing them and I have always thought to myself...Damn, thats smart thinking...but I haven't bought them. I'm sure some say...wow they are either sick or paranoid....but I think its being prepared. Thanks hawg...I'm adding it to my stuff..I can't call it a bag..because I just have a shit ton of stuff I drive around with in my truck. More than I can carry..but at least I have options.

I've been called many things in my life .. but never a HAWG! :dancingguy:

But yeah -- the first thing I thought of when donning the mask was how stupid I must look. But, while I may think of myself as still being "robust", I had my wake-up call last March. NEVER do I want to be that sick again. And this year, the flu is especially bad. So, I am taking the extra steps. Which btw - also includes avoiding crowds as much as possible, carrying a hand-sanitizer pen with me at all times, using sanitizer wipe cloths that are now available in most supermarkets to wipe down the grocery cart handle, and NEVER opening a restroom door with my bare hands. What I do now after washing my hands is to grab a paper towel, use it to open the door, and then toss it in a waste bin.

OSFG
02-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Sorry..I got confused...corrected

hawgrider
02-07-2015, 10:45 AM
I've been called many things in my life .. but never a HAWG! :dancingguy:

But yeah -- the first thing I thought of when donning the mask was how stupid I must look. But, while I may think of myself as still being "robust", I had my wake-up call last March. NEVER do I want to be that sick again. And this year, the flu is especially bad. So, I am taking the extra steps. Which btw - also includes avoiding crowds as much as possible, carrying a hand-sanitizer pen with me at all times, using sanitizer wipe cloths that are now available in most supermarkets to wipe down the grocery cart handle, and NEVER opening a restroom door with my bare hands. What I do now after washing my hands is to grab a paper towel, use it to open the door, and then toss it in a waste bin.I resemble that remark:biglaugh: