PDA

View Full Version : Hawg; Forgive Me For I Have Sinned--Bought a Jap Truck Made In Mexico!

Slippy
03-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Last summer I sold our Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon 2DR. It was a great Off-Road Vehicle and we had some fun in it for the past 10 years or so. The Rubicon was more Mrs Slippy's daily driver so she started driving my 2010 F150 with a shit ton of miles on it.

She never complained but I could tell she deserved another vehicle...and I was ready for another 4x4 Off-Road Project...so...I ordered a Toyota Tacoma 4 DR 4WD Truck!

It was a base truck, so the first thing I did was find some running boards and install them easy peasy!

A lift kit was next on the list so I got me local mechanic to hook me up and we installed a 3" lift on the Tacoma. I started searching Tires and Wheels and upgraded the factory tires to some Falken Wildpeak A/T's 31.7" Tires and found some Off Road Aluminum Wheels to replace the stock wheels...

Pics of the lifted truck next up!

SOCOM42
03-13-2022, 08:51 PM
You be a SINNER! a rice burner, it is bad enough to have jap wheel bearings, but a whole E'FN truck?

I will stay with my two jeep Grands.

Slippy
03-13-2022, 09:00 PM
You be a SINNER! a rice burner, it is bad enough to have jap wheel bearings, but a whole E'FN truck?

I will stay with my two jeep Grands.

Sinful bastard I am!

Back Story; We went to Moab Utah last fall and the Tacoma's on the trail out numbered the Jeeps!

We took my Ford Super Duty F250 which did fine on National Park Trails but the Tacoma is made for Overlanding. Plus I watched an old episode of Top Gear where they tried to kill a Tacoma/Hilux and couldn't do it!

So far, I'm a fan of the Jap Truck Made In Mexico!

hawgrider
03-13-2022, 09:04 PM
Damn Slippy you went to the darkside along with that Cali Squatch guy he runs rice too.

Well shit first it's cryptic currency and now Slippy is ridin rice.

Somebody stop the planet from spinning I want to jump off.

Pass me the knob creek I could use a belt!

Slippy
03-13-2022, 09:12 PM
Damn Slippy you went to the darkside along with that Cali Squatch guy he runs rice too.

Well shit first it's cryptic currency and now Slippy is ridin rice.

Somebody stop the planet from spinning I want to jump off.

Pass me the knob creek I could use a belt!

Hold on a minute good buddy, Slippy still riding' Grade A Louisville, Kentucky Made Ford Super Duty 3/4 Ton Pick-em-Up Truck! The Tacoma is our new toy!

hawgrider
03-13-2022, 09:12 PM
1/2 ton? Hows it ride? Newer Fords seem to ride rough compared to the GM's never been in a rice truck so I'm not sure how good they ride.

hawgrider
03-13-2022, 09:16 PM
Hold on a minute good buddy, Slippy still riding' Grade A Louisville, Kentucky Made Ford Super Duty 3/4 Ton Pick-em-Up Truck! The Tacoma is our new toy!

Whatever you do just please dont ever get any Toyota tattoos lol!

The truck looks nice.

Can you put a "like a rock" sticker in the back window

Slippy
03-13-2022, 10:33 PM
Whatever you do just please dont ever get any Toyota tattoos lol!

The truck looks nice.

Can you put a "like a rock" sticker in the back window

The only stickers I put on my vehicles are Wilson Combat stickers. Most people don't get the logo!

Still trying to post more pics but for some reason, can't download them.

Sasquatch
03-13-2022, 11:39 PM
I looked at the Tacoma when I was shopping around but I didn't fit in the damn thing. You're a fairly big guy too Slip. How's the room for you?

shootbrownelk
03-14-2022, 04:07 AM
I looked at the Tacoma when I was shopping around but I didn't fit in the damn thing. You're a fairly big guy too Slip. How's the room for you?

That's why I bought a Tundra. The Taco's were too small, and got about the same mileage. I have a rice truck, but my1965 Mustang, 1937 Pontiac and 1930 Chrysler absolve me of all my rice buying sins.

Slippy
03-14-2022, 06:48 AM

Surprisingly, at 6'4" and +/- 240#, the Tacoma is much more comfortable than our Jeep JK.

With the seats moved back, I'm good to go. But there is NO ROOM in the back seats for passengers!

With the lift, I added the Falken Wildpeak AT 31.7" Tires and Vision OffRoad Aluminum wheels.

Yesterday, I installed the Martin OffRoad Roof Rack that I ordered a few weeks back. The Tacoma has Pre-Drilled holes to mount a number of US made roof racks. Assembly was easy but re-installing the weatherstripping was a pain in the ass!

I've ordered a Front Winch Mount/Bumper and have a Warn 10klb Synthetic Winch ready to go when the bumper arrives.

Our first trip will be some Off Road Trails that tie into US Forest Service Roads.

stevekozak
03-14-2022, 06:56 AM
Surprisingly, at 6'4" and +/- 240#, the Tacoma is much more comfortable than our Jeep JK.

With the seats moved back, I'm good to go. But there is NO ROOM in the back seats for passengers!

With the lift, I added the Falken Wildpeak AT 31.7" Tires and Vision OffRoad Aluminum wheels.

Yesterday, I installed the Martin OffRoad Roof Rack that I ordered a few weeks back. The Tacoma has Pre-Drilled holes to mount a number of US made roof racks. Assembly was easy but re-installing the weatherstripping was a pain in the ass!

I've ordered a Front Winch Mount/Bumper and have a Warn 10klb Synthetic Winch ready to go when the bumper arrives.

Our first trip will be some Off Road Trails that tie into US Forest Service Roads.

Good looking truck. Be sure you keep the oil topped off. I have heard of bad things happening to Tacos oil-starving when at odd angles. It doesn't sound like you intend to do any heavy-duty off-roading or rock crawling, but just keep it in mind.

Slippy
03-14-2022, 07:05 AM
I've got a couple of areas of Slippy Lodge that I've stuck my 4 Wheeler. Conditions are different but the Tacoma seems to be pretty dang Off-Road Capable. Would love to have Lockers like the Rubicon but for what we will be doing, we think the Tacoma will be fine.

A few modifications from stock, and we are good to go. It does look pretty good if I say so myself;

Slippy
03-14-2022, 07:16 AM
White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park is one of our goals. 100 mile off-road trail with some very unique and gorgeous scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZeXK1UiRZ8

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

SOCOM42
03-14-2022, 09:09 AM
White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park is one of our goals. 100 mile off-road trail with some very unique and gorgeous scenery.

You do realize that I be joking with you? Right?

My 4 wheeling days have been over for a long time, about 40 years.

Besides my back could not take the stress either.

I have my Grand Cherokees to deal with the weather conditions here,

and the hills I have to climb in foul weather.

You guys live out in the western and mid western part of the country where 4X4 stuff is great sport.

Back when, I use to have Bronco's for that, but they were not geared for 2-3K driving to get to play.

Like armored vehicles, they would have to ride a flat bed to drop off point for ops.

SOCOM42
03-14-2022, 09:14 AM

You guys live out in the western and mid western part of the country where 4X4 stuff is great sport.

Back when, I use to have Bronco's for that, but they were not geared for 2-3K driving to get to play.

Like armored vehicles, they would have to ride a flat bed to drop off point for ops.

That is all beautiful country out there, passed through it a couple of times going to and from California.

Unlike here though, dry, dry, dry, there is so much water here, pain in ass.

Piratesailor
03-14-2022, 09:54 AM

Now that looks like a fantastic trip. I’ll have to add that to my list but in another vehicle… not my 2500HD. I’d rattle me and the truck to death.

When I lived in Colorado a group of us, jeeps and toco’s had a goal of going over as many passes as we could. I think over 4 years we did maybe a dozen and a few we attempted but didn’t make it over. One of our favorites was Webster Pass and Red Cone pass.

My buddy had a toco. It was a mid 80’s extended cab. It did as well as the jeeps. I used jeeps aged between 1978 and 1983. All were Cherokee’s and one Cherokee Chief wide body.

Chiefster23
03-14-2022, 10:50 AM
I bought a brand new jeep grand Cherokee years ago. Biggest POS I ever owned. I financed it for 3 years and during that time it was back for repairs at least 2 dozen times. An attorney I met in the dealership waiting room told me he was suing Jeep under the PA lemon law for similar problems. Never again for a Jeep or Chrysler product. Been driving Honda’s now since 2002. And all trouble free.

SOCOM42
03-14-2022, 11:34 AM
I bought a brand new jeep grand Cherokee years ago. Biggest POS I ever owned. I financed it for 3 years and during that time it was back for repairs at least 2 dozen times. An attorney I met in the dealership waiting room told me he was suing Jeep under the PA lemon law for similar problems. Never again for a Jeep or Chrysler product. Been driving Honda’s now since 2002. And all trouble free.

My Jeeps were bought from our local car dealer who was a jeep dealer, and a friend of mine.

He got guns, ammo and gunsmith work from me.

I never bought new ones from them, usually 2-4 years old,

I got them for $200.00 above their cost, no warranty though.

Both that I have now have around 140,000 miles on them,

and I have done some repairs, just like any other junk pile.

Biggest thing I have done and by myself is the brakes,

last November did one front rotor and caliper, will do the other in 2 months.

Did a water pump on one and two thermal fans replacing the electric, also by myself.

When as a kid I rebuilt engines and transmission, use to trade block borings from the local rebuilder

for grinding their centers and making carbide tool bits for their block borer.

Use to machine my own heads and did my valve grinding work.

The kid stuff was all on ford cars and engines.

Mad Trapper
03-14-2022, 03:04 PM

Remember the nash/ramblers, with Nash seats........get your HS girl out Sat night with a few 6-paks , then drive out into the woods, slide the seats into a bed..........damm Suns coming up.....better get home quick......

Slippy
03-14-2022, 03:38 PM
Yes Sir! You're my bud! Plus, I learned long ago playing ball that you have to be able to take jokes from your bud's!

Its all in good fun!

Slippy
03-14-2022, 03:39 PM
That was my feeling in my F250. Way too uncomfortable in the long wheel base heavy truck!

Now that looks like a fantastic trip. I’ll have to add that to my list but in another vehicle… not my 2500HD. I’d rattle me and the truck to death.

When I lived in Colorado a group of us, jeeps and toco’s had a goal of going over as many passes as we could. I think over 4 years we did maybe a dozen and a few we attempted but didn’t make it over. One of our favorites was Webster Pass and Red Cone pass.

My buddy had a toco. It was a mid 80’s extended cab. It did as well as the jeeps. I used jeeps aged between 1978 and 1983. All were Cherokee’s and one Cherokee Chief wide body.

shootbrownelk
03-14-2022, 05:31 PM

That's one sweet ride Slippy! Enjoy!!

Sparkyprep
03-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Very nice looking truck. Congrats, Slippy. I have to admit, those Tacos are hard to kill. Damn Japs know what they are doing. Enjoy it, Slip.

hawgrider
03-14-2022, 08:12 PM
1/2 ton? Hows it ride? Newer Fords seem to ride rough compared to the GM's never been in a rice truck so I'm not sure how good they ride.

Well hows it ride there Slippy? Compared to the Ford or GM

bigwheel
03-14-2022, 10:04 PM
Hearty congrats. Those things are bullet proof according to the guy on the radio. We had a 2011 Tundra low mileage which the oldest boy really wanted so we sold it to him too cheap and bought us a little Kia Sonatta 4 banger which has made me really like it so far. Little not enough leg room but not bad. You better hire a fat lady to ride in the back of that truck in icey weather. lol. Those pickem up trucks are light in the coola.

Slippy
03-14-2022, 10:07 PM
Hawg,

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the Tacoma. The ride is smooth, the handling is superb even with the lift and larger tires. The engine seems a bit average in power but has an Electronically Controlled Transmission Power Mode that greatly increases the power.

When ECT Power Mode is disengaged, it goes back to some sort of Economical Mode to increase gas mileage. I use the ECT Power Mode most of the time for a little more pep...Mrs S, not so much

Compared to my F250 Super Duty there is no comparison in power, size and the feeling of true power. The class difference in the 2 trucks are just too big. Two different tools for 2 different jobs.

But as far as the 4WD system and Off Road handling, the Tacoma is a winner. And that's why I got it.

Hopefully the Winch Mount Bumper will get delivered soon. The bumper is not a simple bolt on aftermarket bumper, it requires some cutting of the Tacoma nose trim and I may opt to get a 4WD body shop to install. Something about cutting up the front end of a new truck with a Sawzall just doesn't seem right!

I'm curious how the xtra weight of the bumper and winch will affect the Tacoma. My guess is not much at all.

Oh, one thing I really like; the dashboard is not cluttered up with a bunch of gadgets and buttons and missiles and such. Its pretty simple compared to most new vehicles. I like that.

Stay tuned for more reviews and updates on my little project.

Well hows it ride there Slippy? Compared to the Ford or GM

StratBastard
03-15-2022, 12:08 AM
Hearty congrats. Those things are bullet proof according to the guy on the radio. We had a 2011 Tundra low mileage which the oldest boy really wanted so we sold it to him too cheap and bought us a little Kia Sonatta 4 banger which has made me really like it so far. Little not enough leg room but not bad. You better hire a fat lady to ride in the back of that truck in icey weather. lol. Those pickem up trucks are light in the coola.

Yeah, my little S-10 becomes an air hockey puck on the ice.

bigwheel
03-15-2022, 12:25 AM
That's why I bought a Tundra. The Taco's were too small, and got about the same mileage. I have a rice truck, but my1965 Mustang, 1937 Pontiac and 1930 Chrysler absolve me of all my rice buying sins.
That Tundra we swapped off was like driving a well equipped dump truck. Big and stout and hard to fit in tight parking spaces etc. We bought it to pull a big Camper but got too old and lazy to do it.

shootbrownelk
03-15-2022, 04:06 AM
That was my feeling in my F250. Way too uncomfortable in the long wheel base heavy truck!

I had 4 Mid eighties Toyotas. They had the straight axles. The best one to get was the 85, they had the 22RE fuel injected 4 cylinder. The pre-85's had a carb, and weren't as reliable as the injected one in steep terrain. 86 and up had the independent front suspensions and I never liked them as they broke often. I sold them all, unfortunately. They bring crazy high prices around here these days.

shootbrownelk
03-15-2022, 04:08 AM
That Tundra we swapped off was like driving a well equipped dump truck. Big and stout and hard to fit in tight parking spaces etc. We bought it to pull a big Camper but got too old and lazy to do it.

My Tundra is a 4 dr. with an 8 ft. bed. A bit hard to get around in tight parking lots, but a joy off road and on the highway.

1skrewsloose
03-16-2022, 08:31 AM
So we say "buy American" but then go and buy outside the US. We talk the talk, but don't walk the talk. Things are what they are I guess. We do the best we can.

Slippy
03-16-2022, 08:44 AM
So we say "buy American" but then go and buy outside the US. We talk the talk, but don't walk the talk. Things are what they are I guess. We do the best we can.

Spot on my friend, and I am (by virtue of this thread that I started!) GUILTY! Japanese Truck made in Mexico. If I had bought this same truck last year it would have been made in San Antonio TX. Crazy...

As I am adding aftermarket products, it is amazing how manufacturers are so damn good at hiding where their products are made.

The Running Boards that I purchased are from a so called "American Company" but no where in their marketing literature do they admit where the products are made.

The Lift Kit that I added was definitely made in the USA

The Aftermarket Tires are from a Japanese company and their literature is deceptive; either they were made in Rancho Cucomonga, CA or Thailand.

The aftermarket roof rack was definitely made in America in North Carolina. As is the Warn Winch and Artec Bumper that I am about to have installed.

It is damn hard to "Walk The Talk"...

Chiefster23
03-16-2022, 09:47 AM
No car sold in America is 100% American made. All have tons of foreign parts. The machines that build the cars are foreign made. The steel is foreign produced. The dies that stamp out the sheet metal parts are foreign produced.

hawgrider
03-16-2022, 10:13 AM
No car sold in America is 100% American made. All have tons of foreign parts. The machines that build the cars are foreign made. The steel is foreign produced. The dies that stamp out the sheet metal parts are foreign produced.

Thanks to Demoncrat and Rino policys. So what are we good for?

Not a damn thing.

Big Ken
03-16-2022, 10:34 AM
[Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
No car sold in America is 100% American made. All have tons of foreign parts. The machines that build the cars are foreign made. The steel is foreign produced. The dies that stamp out the sheet metal parts are foreign produced.]

This is a fact.

I worked in GM dealerships for 20 years, Chrysler for 15 years in the parts department, the majority of the car/truck lines say made in America, let me tell that's mainly false, I could walk down my aisles and aisles of shelves of parts and maybe ten percent are made in the U.S.A. the rest are made just about in every other country, mainly Canada, Mexico, China, Indonesia, Taiwan and others, So let be clear when I say this, the automobiles and trucks they say are made here are false! they are only assembled here! this includes their accessory parts products, the only upside to this is most of the profits stay in the U.S. while the import profits go overseas.

Chiefster23
03-16-2022, 11:47 AM
In the late 70s, I worked on a ship running to Brazil. We loaded the die’s for stamping out the body parts for full sized GM cars there. The ship was running behind schedule returning to NYC. GM paid to dock the ship in Miami a day early and unload the dies onto waiting trucks. Each truck had Michigan state police escort vehicles for the trip north to the factories. We also had thousands of wheels for GM cars. This was late 70s. So much for American made!

1skrewsloose
03-16-2022, 02:19 PM
just 55% of the total value of the car parts is enough to qualify as US made according to: https://fortune.com/2019/06/26/american-foreign-car-manufacturing/.

Kinda gives that warm fuzzy feeling, NOT!

My 88 chev p/u has made in Canada stickers all over the place.

bigwheel
03-19-2022, 07:10 PM
Yep that is definitely a whopper lol.

TJC44
03-20-2022, 11:15 AM
Oh, one thing I really like; the dashboard is not cluttered up with a bunch of gadgets and buttons and missiles and such. Its pretty simple compared to most new vehicles. I like that.

Umm, Missiles?

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

Slippy
03-20-2022, 01:12 PM
Umm, Missiles?

Sorry TJC, went a little overboard with the Missile Launching thing-a-ma-jig on the dashboard! More of a Wish List Item Fraudian Slip! Sure would be nice to launch a missile at an idiot driver especially on Interstate 285 around Atlanta, GA! The ATL natives would scatter like roaches out the left lane I suspect! HA

TJC44
03-20-2022, 01:47 PM
Sorry TJC, went a little overboard with the Missile Launching thing-a-ma-jig on the dashboard! More of a Wish List Item Fraudian Slip! Sure would be nice to launch a missile at an idiot driver especially on Interstate 285 around Atlanta, GA! The ATL natives would scatter like roaches out the left lane I suspect! HAHey, don't be sorry, I wish it WAS an available option for all makes of truck!

Slippy
03-24-2022, 06:36 PM
Warn Winch 10k Synthetic and ARTEC Industries (https://www.artecindustries.com/tytc3g-venturefbc made in the USA) custom Tacoma Winch Ready Bumper installed today.

Ready for a short Off-Road trip this weekend!

Inor
03-24-2022, 08:42 PM
Warn Winch 10k Synthetic and ARTEC Industries (https://www.artecindustries.com/tytc3g-venturefbc made in the USA) custom Tacoma Winch Ready Bumper installed today.

Ready for a short Off-Road trip this weekend!

VERY cool! Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is go out and get stuck bad enough to use it!

Slippy
03-25-2022, 05:46 AM
VERY cool! Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is go out and get stuck bad enough to use it!

Sir Yes Sir!

Seriously, advice to future Synthetic Rope Winch Owners; Study up on Pre-Tensioning the Rope before use.

I've only owned and operated Steel Cable winches so the synthetic cable winch was new to me. The Warn factory does not pre-tension or pre-stretch the rope before shipping the winch. The winch comes with the rope lightly spooled on the winch drum. In order to keep it from binding up on itself under stress, it must be tensioned.

So as soon as I got the truck home from the shop I parked it on a slight incline and pulled out about 60 foot of the 90 foot line keeping about 10 wraps around the drum of the winch. I hooked the rope to a tree strap using rated shackles.

I then backed the truck just enough to put some tension on the rope, put the truck in neutral and began slowly winching the vehicle up the hill; making sure that the rope was evenly wrapping around the drum of the winch.

The winch has a wireless/wired remote control which made it very easy to do this.

When I got within 6 feet of the tree, I gave the rope some slack then pulsed the remote control to wind the rest of the rope onto the winch using just the pressure of my hand. The synthetic winch rope is now ready to pull me out of a stupid decision!

Slippy
03-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Got the Tacoma loaded down with necessary items and Mrs Slippy and I are ready to hit some US Forest Service Trails in the Talladega National Forest in Central Alabama.

Will keep the advice that I've heard multiple times on Whitewater Rafting trips; "If you hear banjos, paddle faster"!

Hopefully we'll make it back and post some pics of our first Off Road trip in our expensive little toy!

(PS; I plan on making this trip TAX DEDUCTIBLE as it is a fact finding mission to to check that my lifelong tax dollars built some good roads for government foresters to drive expensive trucks that I also paid for! :samflags: )

Slippy
03-26-2022, 05:55 PM
Excellent day on the US Forest Service Roads! We only had time for roads that were rated Easy and Moderate...but at least the moderate trails had some technical areas that helped me judge the Tacoma's OffRoad capability.

Happy to report that with the upgrades, the Tacoma performed very well in mud, rocks and silt. Next weekend, we will hit more difficult roads/trails and I can't wait to push the little JAP-MEX half breed bastard!

Slippy
03-26-2022, 06:08 PM

Slippy
04-10-2022, 04:34 AM
Another good day Offroading. This trail was rated 6 out of 10 in difficulty. Even though the pics don't show the most difficult portions of the trail, I would not attempt a trail that was rated 7 out of 10 without a 2nd vehicle, Front and Rear Lockers and a 2nd spare tire.

Still, the Tacoma and the aftermarket gear that I added proved very capable.

The scene at the top was beautiful

Slippy
04-10-2022, 03:08 PM
This morning, I added Tacoma Bed Stiffeners from Total Chaos Fabrication;

https://www.chaosfab.com/product/2016-2022-Toyota-Tacoma-Rear-Channel-Bed-Stiffeners-48676

Slippy
05-21-2022, 08:27 AM
Ordered some Steel Skid Plates from Victory 4x4 (a US company!) and they arrived after a short lead time.

Son1 came over yesterday to help with the install and we put the Jap/Beaner Half Breed (my nickname for the Tacoma!) on the ramps and commenced to taking out the cheap factory skid plate and replacing it with the Victory 4x4 steel skid.

Seems pretty durable and for the trails that we take, I'm sure it will be more than capable and worth the money for the protection!