PDA

View Full Version : I hate woodworking! Kitchen table for my camper.

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 04:33 PM
Original mush board camper table is toast so being I'm a cheap ass and I hate woodworking I cheaped out and went with 3/4 birch veneer plywood. Had to buy a router so I bought a Ryobi 18V router and some roundover bits.

I cut this bitch to size had to make score cuts on the ****ing veneer first to keep from tear out issues then cut all the way through. Hit the bitch with the router and this is what I have now.

Sooooo I need to figure out what I'm going to seal this thing with.

I'm thinking a couple coats of polyurethane for a nice high gloss thick seal.

What say you? And what is my best option to apply it?

https://i.imgur.com/uNC4flS.jpg

LivoniaDan
04-02-2022, 05:11 PM
Let me preface this by saying
I AM NOT A WOODWORKER EITHER.

The small projects I have done with Poly, I used a Foam Brush.
Turned out well.

Have done a couple of floors with Floor poly and used a short nap roller....
Turned out well
Gotta make sure you remove any loose nap/fibers though.
If you are going to stain first, they make a "sanding sealer" to use before staining.
It evens out out the color extremes in the grain.

Looks pretty darn good

Slippy
04-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Excellent hawg! My suggestion is to find some real good pics of the family or of events and place them on the table top, cut some strips and create an edge to hold some some thick Epoxy Bar Top polyurethane and create a conversation piece!

Original mush board camper table is toast so being I'm a cheap ass and I hate woodworking I cheaped out and went with 3/4 birch veneer plywood. Had to buy a router so I bought a Ryobi 18V router and some roundover bits.

I cut this bitch to size had to make score cuts on the ****ing veneer first to keep from tear out issues then cut all the way through. Hit the bitch with the router and this is what I have now.

Sooooo I need to figure out what I'm going to seal this thing with.

I'm thinking a couple coats of polyurethane for a nice high gloss thick seal.

What say you? And what is my best option to apply it?

https://i.imgur.com/uNC4flS.jpg

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Let me preface this by saying
I AM NOT A WOODWORKER EITHER.

The small projects I have done with Poly, I used a Foam Brush.
Turned out well.

Have done a couple of floors with Floor poly and used a short nap roller....
Turned out well
Gotta make sure you remove any loose nap/fibers though.
If you are going to stain first, they make a "sanding sealer" to use before staining.
It evens out out the color extremes in the grain.

Looks pretty darn good

I probably will do a stain first. What color? Not sure I need Ideas on that too.

I have heard a foam brush for polyurethane before. Is this to much area to cover though? Just buy the widest foam brush I can get? Ugg! I hate wood lol!

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 05:24 PM
Excellent hawg! My suggestion is to find some real good pics of the family or of events and place them on the table top, cut some strips and create an edge to hold some some thick Epoxy Bar Top polyurethane and create a conversation piece!

Well shit... thanks Slippy you just doubled the work and risk of failure for the non carpenter non crafty schmuck that I am hahaha.

Sasquatch
04-02-2022, 05:36 PM
Should've just went with butcher block. Probably a little too pricey though.

If it's just for the camper don't put too much thought into it. For both stain and poly I use the cheap brushes at Home Depot. If you're worried they might leave hairs you'll want to buy a nicer brush or go with the foam.

As far as stain color just try to match it to whatever else is in the camper.

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 06:03 PM
Should've just went with butcher block. Probably a little too pricey though.

If it's just for the camper don't put too much thought into it. For both stain and poly I use the cheap brushes at Home Depot. If you're worried they might leave hairs you'll want to buy a nicer brush or go with the foam.

As far as stain color just try to match it to whatever else is in the camper.

Yup butcher block would be nice but Im on a retired budget.

So you use a brush instead of foam.

You agree with using polyurethane?

Here is the original table color and camper colors

https://i.imgur.com/Vi0OuN5.jpg

Sasquatch
04-02-2022, 06:25 PM

Sorry, should've been more clear. For a stain I usually use a cheap brush. Only a nice brush if its a really nice project.

The poly would be fine I think. Or grab you some go ol' Thompson deck sealer. It should keep rings from drinks or any spills from soaking in. I mean it just depends on how detailed you want to get.

I think any light brown would fit in.

My only other suggestion would be to sand the shit out of it. Use 3 different grits, maybe 80, 120 and then hit it with a 1500 fine.

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Sorry, should've been more clear. For a stain I usually use a cheap brush. Only a nice brush if its a really nice project.

The poly would be fine I think. Or grab you some go ol' Thompson deck sealer. It should keep rings from drinks or any spills from soaking in. I mean it just depends on how detailed you want to get.

I think any light brown would fit in.

My only other suggestion would be to sand the shit out of it. Use 3 different grits, maybe 80, 120 and then hit it with a 1500 fine.

I've used a lot of Thompsons water seal. It really doesnt have that high gloss to it.

Inor
04-02-2022, 07:15 PM
Sand the edges with 150 grit but do not go anywhere near the veneer with 150. It is very thin and you will go right through it. Then sand the whole thing (including veneer) with 220. Do not go finer than that as it will close up the pours in the wood.

If you insist on staining it, you will need to put a coat of sanding sealer on it first. Birch gets really blotchy if you try to stain it without a sanding sealer. Personally, I would either just go with straight varnish or if you want to bring out the grain a bit, you could do a coat of boiled linseed oil first.

Then, use a wipe on varnish. Trust me on this. The old school paint-on varnish sucks to work with and trying to do a flat surface without leaving brush marks is tough. This is my secret weapon for finishing:

https://www.wwhardware.com/general-finishes-arm-r-seal-topcoat?queryID=a924f9b7895e4bca3ffac3f5a2462002&objectID=21999&indexName=production_default_products

You put it on with just a clean rag - no brush at all. An old tee-shirt works best. Wipe on two heavy coats letting them get completely dry. After the second coat dries completely, sand the whole thing with 320 grit, then do two more lighter coats. Don't let it scare you. It will look like absolute shit until you do the 4th coat; then it will look amazing.

You can be done after the 4th coat, but if you really want it to look like you can put your hand right through it, sand it again with 400 and do one or two more light coats.

This stuff works great because putting it on with a rag instead of a brush, you do not get drips or run marks. The downside is you do have to do at least 4 coats. With traditional brush-on varnish, you can usually get by with 2 coats (plus fixing all the damn mistakes and touching them up).

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 07:35 PM
Sand the edges with 150 grit but do not go anywhere near the veneer with 150. It is very thin and you will go right through it. Then sand the whole thing (including veneer) with 220. Do not go finer than that as it will close up the pours in the wood.

If you insist on staining it, you will need to put a coat of sanding sealer on it first. Birch gets really blotchy if you try to stain it without a sanding sealer. Personally, I would either just go with straight varnish or if you want to bring out the grain a bit, you could do a coat of boiled linseed oil first.

Then, use a wipe on varnish. Trust me on this. The old school paint-on varnish sucks to work with and trying to do a flat surface without leaving brush marks is tough. This is my secret weapon for finishing:

https://www.wwhardware.com/general-finishes-arm-r-seal-topcoat?queryID=a924f9b7895e4bca3ffac3f5a2462002&objectID=21999&indexName=production_default_products

You put it on with just a clean rag - no brush at all. An old tee-shirt works best. Wipe on two heavy coats letting them get completely dry. After the second coat dries completely, sand the whole thing with 320 grit, then do two more lighter coats. Don't let it scare you. It will look like absolute shit until you do the 4th coat; then it will look amazing.

You can be done after the 4th coat, but if you really want it to look like you can put your hand right through it, sand it again with 400 and do one or two more light coats.

This stuff works great because putting it on with a rag instead of a brush, you do not get drips or run marks. The downside is you do have to do at least 4 coats. With traditional brush-on varnish, you can usually get by with 2 coats (plus fixing all the damn mistakes and touching them up).

Holy moly yeah this is why I hate woodworking lol!

Yeah your right this veneer is micro thin and won't hold up to much sanding.

Ok no stain eh! I could live with that. It looks like the product you linked me has a amber tone to it which darkens with time so that might just be the ticket. I like the t shirt rag application but holy shit thats a lot of coats. Well shit I'll see if I can find some of that ARM-R-SEAL gloss.

Wish me luck..... or break a leg!

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 08:04 PM
Found the ARM-R-SEAL TOPCOAT gloss on Amazon 39.95
General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat, 1 Quart, Gloss https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035YLSZE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_MAM677S0ZJ5V6H22TQ95?_encoding= UTF8&psc=1

Looks easy to use. I would like to skip the stain sealer step if possible hopefully this top coat darken the veneer a little.

Inor do you think a quart will do both sides of my cheapo table?

The table dimensions are 36 7/8" x 28 1/2"

Inor
04-02-2022, 08:04 PM
Holy moly yeah this is why I hate woodworking lol!

Yeah your right this veneer is micro thin and won't hold up to much sanding.

Ok no stain eh! I could live with that. It looks like the product you linked me has a amber tone to it which darkens with time so that might just be the ticket. I like the t shirt rag application but holy shit thats a lot of coats. Well shit I'll see if I can find some of that ARM-R-SEAL gloss.

Wish me luck..... or break a leg!

It turns an orange color over time which I think looks like old furniture. The high-gloss looks the best in my arrogant opinion. I use it for everything - jigs and furniture in my shop, all of the woodwork and cabinetry in our house is done with it as well as fine furniture. The can says it takes something like 12 hours to dry. Usually it is only about 3-4 hours until it is ready for the next step.

Inor
04-02-2022, 08:08 PM
General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat, 1 Quart, Gloss https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035YLSZE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_MAM677S0ZJ5V6H22TQ95?_encoding= UTF8&psc=1

Looks easy to use. I would like to skip the stain sealer step if possible hopefully this top coat darken the veneer a little.

Yes, a quart will be more than enough. I am pretty sure you will like the look. The raw edges of the plywood will also look really cool with it.

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 08:14 PM
Yes, a quart will be more than enough. I am pretty sure you will like the look. The raw edges of the plywood will also look really cool with it.

Excellent! Yup definitely going with the gloss not the semi gloss or satin.
I'll order up the quart and then wait for the weather to hit the 70 degree low humidity range.

Appreciate the advice fella's!

Sasquatch
04-02-2022, 08:27 PM
I've used a lot of Thompsons water seal. It really doesnt have that high gloss to it.

True. Wasn't even thinking of that.

Box of frogs
04-03-2022, 05:48 AM
Great topic guys.
I use a old white sock or tee shirt to apply stains then hand rub the excess before applying the second coat. Hand rub both coats to ensure a even tone to the color
My high school shop teacher would tell us that Minwax Special Walnut should be the only stain ever used, end of discussion.
Coach Graves was a cool guy back in the 70’s

For poly I use a brush, not a cheap one but a good quality brush. You know the kind that make you say”shit -that’s a a lot of money for a brush” Work slow and as Inor says sand or steel wool between coats. For the very first coat I reduce the sealer 3 parts poly to 1 part mineral spirits. The reduction helps the wood to absorb the first coat. It really pulls it into the grain and helps to keep the next several coats smooth as glass.
Good luck and post some pics of the finished product
BoF

Slippy
04-03-2022, 07:14 AM
If I was you, I'd add this to the table top pictures and poly over it. It should last forever! :second:

Excellent! Yup definitely going with the gloss not the semi gloss or satin.
I'll order up the quart and then wait for the weather to hit the 70 degree low humidity range.

Appreciate the advice fella's!

hawgrider
04-03-2022, 07:22 AM
If I was you, I'd add this to the table top pictures and poly over it. It should last forever! :second:

Red dogs rule!

Slippy
04-03-2022, 07:34 AM
red dogs rule!

amen!

Prepared One
04-03-2022, 04:49 PM

What is all that white shit outside the window? :cool:

hawgrider
04-03-2022, 05:13 PM
What is all that white shit outside the window? :cool:

November last year. It's the only time I like and need some snow.

Inor
05-08-2022, 11:39 PM
How did the table turn out?

If it is done, please post some photos! I love the look of that wipe-on varnish on the edges of birch ply. (I do not get to make much from birch plywood because that style does not work with the style of the rest of the furniture I have made. But I still think it looks cool as hell.)

hawgrider
05-09-2022, 07:34 AM
How did the table turn out?

If it is done, please post some photos! I love the look of that wipe-on varnish on the edges of birch ply. (I do not get to make much from birch plywood because that style does not work with the style of the rest of the furniture I have made. But I still think it looks cool as hell.)

Well... its been a journey. This is the test table I made two tables one to **** up and then one to not **** up as much lol.

This table had some in perfections although quite usable.
Had trouble getting the full gloss across the whole table I think my early heavy coats should have been heavier. This table has about 6 coats on it and I just brought it up to the camper yesterday. Its ok and looks pretty good for who its for.

The other table I'm still dialing in the finish. It wil have about 7 coats on it when done. I'm real close on this one to have that "stick your hand in it" finished look. I love the color it look great and looks good in the camper.

When I get that one done I'll put up another couple pics of that one.
Appreciate the help on the finish Inor I do like the stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/aRM0XJI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nXUIhCc.jpg

Mad Trapper
05-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Late to this thread.

Looks good Hawg. What sealer did you use? I was going to suggest marine spar varnish.

Piratesailor
05-09-2022, 09:02 AM
Late to this thread.

Looks good Hawg. What sealer did you use? I was going to suggest marine spar varnish.

Yes. Spar varnish will hold up the best. Trust me. I have been varnishing boats for over 30 years (my boats) and have tried just about everything. A good spar varnish will give you what you want. Also, multiple thin coats. If you need to apply multiple coats in a short time you can stack them (begin another coat when the underlying coat is not cured “tacky”). Personally, I like the light colors that show the grain. I also like the teak.

Mad Trapper
05-09-2022, 10:08 AM
Yes. Spar varnish will hold up the best. Trust me. I have been varnishing boats for over 30 years (my boats) and have tried just about everything. A good spar varnish will give you what you want. Also, multiple thin coats. If you need to apply multiple coats in a short time you can stack them (begin another coat when the underlying coat is not cured “tacky”). Personally, I like the light colors that show the grain. I also like the teak.

I've used spar on my traditional wood/rawhide snowshoes for many years, and when I redid the gunwales on my canoe.

The canoe looked great as did outer gunwales in mahogany and inner in ash. Deeply colored outers and light almost white inners.

I also refurbish old tool handles with it.

Slippy
05-09-2022, 10:40 AM
Excellent work Hawg!

Well... its been a journey. This is the test table I made two tables one to **** up and then one to not **** up as much lol.

This table had some in perfections although quite usable.
Had trouble getting the full gloss across the whole table I think my early heavy coats should have been heavier. This table has about 6 coats on it and I just brought it up to the camper yesterday. Its ok and looks pretty good for who its for.

The other table I'm still dialing in the finish. It wil have about 7 coats on it when done. I'm real close on this one to have that "stick your hand in it" finished look. I love the color it look great and looks good in the camper.

When I get that one done I'll put up another couple pics of that one.
Appreciate the help on the finish Inor I do like the stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/aRM0XJI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nXUIhCc.jpg

Inor
05-09-2022, 11:36 AM
Nice job!!!

If you really want it to shine like a fox's ass in the moonlight, when you are done with the varnish, get a can of paste furniture wax. Rub it on, let it dry for 10-15 minutes, then buff it out - just like waxing a car. The wax finish won't last too long but it will look and feel incredible.

That is what I do when I make a new piece of furniture for Mrs Inor and want to impress her.

hawgrider
05-09-2022, 11:43 AM

Mad Trapper- I used the stuff Inor recommended. It goes on with a TShirt. Its easy to use and Im pretty happy with the finish.

It just took me a bit to get the application process down pat.

hawgrider
05-09-2022, 12:56 PM
The ARM-R-SEAL did exactly what I wanted it does not allow a water ring to show up from a sweating cocktail. It it also does well with a hot dinner plates we tested with last nights dinner and breakfast this morning.

hawgrider
05-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Inor- Question

I am getting some tiny bubbles as I apply with hunk of old tshirt seems like no matter how fast or slow I apply. I have to look close in the right light and flip the folded rag over and wipe off the tiny bubbles.

What am I doing wrong with the way Im wiping it on?

I have tried applying with the grain and across the grain and get about the same results.

And yes I only stir the can. Never shake it. :setfire:

Box of frogs
05-09-2022, 05:22 PM
^^ make sure the sealer is warm and it will reduce what you are seeing ^^
P.S. I’m not Inor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

hawgrider
05-09-2022, 06:31 PM
^^ make sure the sealer is warm and it will reduce what you are seeing ^^
P.S. I’m not Inor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

That might be it I was pushing it with the temp game. Mostly it was low 60's when I applied most of it.

Inor
05-09-2022, 09:16 PM
BoF is 100% correct.

Another trick (that I actually did today), is water the last coat down with a bit of Mineral Spirits so it is even more runny. Then, once you get a light coat on, "dust it" with the wet rag to just remove the bubbles without adding many new rag marks.

One last thing, sometimes it is best to let good enough be good enough.

I got back in the shop (finally) last weekend. Mrs Inor wanted an oak picture frame for some of those painted south-west ceramic tiles. So I made one up and am varnishing it with the same stuff you are using. But the jug I am using is too old and started to thicken. It is being a real pain in the ass. Rather than trying to perfect it and ****ing it up worse than it already is, I think I am going to go over it once more with steel wool, then one last light coat and she is going to have to live with it. It is not horrible but I can see the imperfections. But there are times when you just have to roll with that.

hawgrider
05-09-2022, 09:36 PM
Ok good. The temps are high 70's to 80 the next few days I'll hit it with the last coat and should be good to go.