PDA

View Full Version : New changes

Broncosfan
04-03-2022, 09:55 PM
So we started our next major project this past week. We planted 9 new apple and 5 new pear trees. Our plan is to add somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 trees this year. We plan to add chestnut, persimmon and hazelnut also. Our total really just depends on what is available. Some are ordered online some are purchased locally. Persimmons will be here in about 3 weeks from the local county soil and water annual seedling sale. Hazelnuts, chestnuts and a couple english walnuts are ordered but arrival date unknown. I'm putting welded wire fence cages around each tree. Should give them several years of growing before the deer start nipping the limbs back.

Inor
04-03-2022, 10:31 PM
So we started our next major project this past week. We planted 9 new apple and 5 new pear trees. Our plan is to add somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 trees this year. We plan to add chestnut, persimmon and hazelnut also. Our total really just depends on what is available. Some are ordered online some are purchased locally. Persimmons will be here in about 3 weeks from the local county soil and water annual seedling sale. Hazelnuts, chestnuts and a couple english walnuts are ordered but arrival date unknown. I'm putting welded wire fence cages around each tree. Should give them several years of growing before the deer start nipping the limbs back.

You might check out almonds as well. I did not know it before I bought the almonds for our place here but they are good with cold temps. The tags on the ones we planted here said they were good to -20. Fresh, raw almonds are awesome!

Sasquatch
04-03-2022, 11:59 PM
Have 3 apple trees myself. 16 in total on an acre of land. Good luck and I hope they produce like crazy for you.

Inor mentioned he had almonds. I may have to look into that. Only nut I have is macadamia and it hasn't produced yet. It's almost 5 years old so should start pretty soon, fingers crossed.

Dwight55
04-04-2022, 01:54 AM
Got 3 apple trees . . . 2 cherry trees . . . one peach tree . . . a number of years ago.

Cherries didn't last 2 years . . . one apple grew the first 3 years . . . quit growing . . . still haven't gotten one good apple off it.

Another apple died.

Last apple had about 18 good apples on it . . . planned to get em after church one Sunday . . . came home . . . deer had cleaned the tree . . . completely.

Peach tree finally came thru once after about 12 years . . . but it did pears that year . . . nothing since.

Thinking about a chain saw and my burn pile would remedy those mistakes.

May God bless,
Dwight

Chiefster23
04-04-2022, 04:18 AM
Sounds like you have pollination issues. You probably need to get suitable pollinators for the apple and peach trees.

Prepared One
04-04-2022, 05:15 AM
I don't see MG and I doing much of a garden beyond some pepper plants and tomatoes. But I may plant a couple of fruit trees as I get closer to retirement. I have to do some research on what does best in this climate.

Broncosfan
04-04-2022, 06:45 AM
You might check out almonds as well. I did not know it before I bought the almonds for our place here but they are good with cold temps. The tags on the ones we planted here said they were good to -20. Fresh, raw almonds are awesome!

INOR I didn't even give almonds a thought.Years ago I was in Modesto, Ca and knew thye grew a lot of almonds. I just figured that they would grow here. I will check some out.

Broncosfan
04-04-2022, 06:52 AM
Got 3 apple trees . . . 2 cherry trees . . . one peach tree . . . a number of years ago.

Cherries didn't last 2 years . . . one apple grew the first 3 years . . . quit growing . . . still haven't gotten one good apple off it.

Another apple died.

Last apple had about 18 good apples on it . . . planned to get em after church one Sunday . . . came home . . . deer had cleaned the tree . . . completely.

Peach tree finally came thru once after about 12 years . . . but it did pears that year . . . nothing since.

Thinking about a chain saw and my burn pile would remedy those mistakes.

May God bless,
Dwight

I'm sure I will have deer loss. We spent as much to protect the trees than what the trees cost. Eash tree has a 20' circle of welded wire around them to protect them for the next several years. I've never done well with peaches. One small eitible crop since planting 10 years a go. Last year I thought that would change. We thinned them out what I thought was more than enough. Ended up with branches broke due to a storm and still the peaches never got to the right size to pick. In Ohio peaches are a hit and miss due to late frost.

Chiefster23
04-04-2022, 06:55 AM
I have a bad deer problem at my place. My gardens are fenced and I came up with a suitable idea for fruit trees and berry bushes. Concrete supply companies sell steel wire reinforcing mats for use in sidewalks and driveways. They come approximately 5 ft wide by 8 to 10 ft long. They used to sell for about $10 each. Now? Who knows! I take two and bend them into right angles. Then I place these two pieces around a young tree to form a self supporting box around the tree. This has worked real well for me so far. The wire mat sections can easily be moved for mowing and tree maintenance.

Broncosfan
04-04-2022, 06:59 AM
We have I believe 10 apples and 4 pears already. Some were planted in 2009 before we even finished our house. We have a pear on the property thay I know dates at least back to the early 70's. Its in bad shape. It has produced over 400 lbs a year as late as 4 years ago. Its declining fast. Split about 3 years ago. I have ratchet straps holding it together. Sadly it time is very short. It will be cut done in early summer to make room for the pond building in August.

shootbrownelk
04-04-2022, 07:45 AM
Rabbits girdled my pear and apple trees and killed them all. They were protected (I thought) with wire mesh, but they got in somehow. This was back in Wisconsin, fruit trees don't do well at our altitude here in Wyoming.

Broncosfan
04-04-2022, 09:29 AM
I have also made a trunk protector out of plastic hardware cloth. Its zip tied to the trees stake. So far this has worked well on my other fruit trees

hawgrider
04-04-2022, 10:40 AM
The peach farmer next door had to start fires in between the peach tree rows last spring to keep from late frost damage. He burned the fires for about 3 days.

It worked-

https://i.imgur.com/xkFDGYn.jpg

Sparkyprep
04-04-2022, 06:16 PM
I'm jealous. It gets too hot down here for most fruit trees, with the exception of citrus.

POBILLY DUKE
04-04-2022, 07:30 PM
picture please!

Broncosfan
04-19-2022, 07:39 PM
Got this delivered today! Another project complete. I can now send the estate rentals back. 18323

Inor
04-19-2022, 07:50 PM
Got this delivered today! Another project complete. I can now send the estate rentals back. 18323

Congratulations! Shipping containers are the greatest thing ever invented if you just leave them above ground for storage and do not bury them (and do not decide to live in them and shit in buckets).

Broncosfan
04-19-2022, 08:07 PM
Congratulations! Shipping containers are the greatest thing ever invented if you just leave them above ground for storage and do not bury them (and do not decide to live in them and shit in buckets).

This one is to hold us over until we build our new bulding. I'm waiting out these crazy prices. The way I have it figured I can get an atv, tractor and a utv in there with room to spare for more stuff. I'm building an 8' raised deck in the front so my DR field and bruch mower can park under it and I can stack boxes on the deck to the roof. Once the pond is build we will have an least one pedal boat so it will be store suspended from the ceiling since I got a high cube.

Broncosfan
05-14-2022, 08:55 PM
As of today we have planted 47 trees this year. 38 fruit and nut trees and 9 Thuja Green Giants on the property line for a nature privacy fence. I think that is over 50 on the property line but I need to count them one day. I will post some pics once we plant the final 2 that will be here next week. That is if I remember to take the camera out. My phone just doesn't take good pics or else its up close.

Broncosfan
06-05-2022, 08:28 PM
So I decided to call our excavator last week that is going to build our new pond. Just to get some updates on his schedule. We're planning August. He tell me there is a good chance he will be here in July!. Fantastic news!!! Only one problem I'm not ready. I wanted to wait until the last minute to cut the pines. I like the privacy. So we started cutting yesterday. We burned a lot today but I haven't gotten pics yet. Here are a couple from last night.1875718758