PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Alien Veggies in my Garden

Sasquatch
05-15-2022, 12:30 AM
The other day I came across an old News story about China sending unsolicited seeds to people in America. In the story they said not to plant the seeds as they may harm your other crops. I've looked up the story again and now they are claiming it was a "scam" to get higher website results (which sounds like BS).

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/sa_by_date/sa-2020/sa-07/seeds-china

So after seeing that old video (2020) I started noticing things growing in my garden I didn't plant. At first I thought maybe it was from using my compost to plant my garden. But then I realized I have some potted flowers that have these mystery veggies growing in them and I never used my compost for those.

Of course I also thought bird droppings could have planted the seeds but there has to be, at least, 15 mystery veggies growing in my garden that I didn't plant. And it would be awful weird to have that many birds drop seeds into my garden and potted flower plants.

Then I remembered the Chinese news story and the conspiracy theory popped into my head. What if China did high altitude fly overs over the country and just dropped seeds? I know, sounds crazy but for the life of me I can't figure out how these mystery veggies all suddenly just popped up. I've never had anything like this happen.

They look like a squash plant. I used an app on my phone to identify them and it says they are either a squash or a cantaloupe. The second picture has 3 of them in it. The plant on the far right and on the left are tomato plants but the others I did not sow.

So what do you think farmers of OTP? What are they and how did they get in my garden?

red442joe
05-15-2022, 06:12 AM
Nurture them, see what they grow in to.
Maybe they are pods...how you been sleeping?

Joe

Slippy
05-15-2022, 06:21 AM
Devil's Lettuce, mayhaps?

Prepared One
05-15-2022, 07:42 AM

Joe

That was my immediate thought.

Mad Trapper
05-15-2022, 08:49 AM
Looks like a squash/pumpkin to me. I get "volunteers" every spring in the garden from stuff I plowed under. Squash screw other squash so you never know what so of fruit they'll have.

What do seedlings look like when they first come up?

Sasquatch
05-15-2022, 12:28 PM

Joe

Little known fact: Squatches don't sleep.

Devil's Lettuce, mayhaps?

How dare you bring Hot Nursey into this!

Looks like a squash/pumpkin to me. I get "volunteers" every spring in the garden from stuff I plowed under. Squash screw other squash so you never know what so of fruit they'll have.

What do seedlings look like when they first come up?

Looked like squash.

Box of frogs
05-15-2022, 03:25 PM
Heres my two cents
This is cucumber
The notch at the top of the leaf is deeper and more defined. The bottom of the leaf comes to a point

This is squash
The notch is shallow and the bottom of the leaf is rounded

This is cantaloupe
These leaves are the roundest of the three plants and almost a circle

I took these pics today in the garden to try to help you figure out what the aliens planted.
Geez, Aliens are messing with a Sasquatch. The world done gone crazy !!

BoF

Jester-ND
05-15-2022, 03:38 PM
I thought squatches were aliens......

1skrewsloose
05-15-2022, 04:26 PM
Years ago my mother started a few tomato plants in gallon milk cartons on the kitchen table, son of a gun, a couple of maijewanna plants sprouted up. How those seeds got mixed in with tomato seeds we don't know.

Sasquatch
05-16-2022, 12:39 AM

I'd tell you but then I'd have to probe you.

Years ago my mother started a few tomato plants in gallon milk cartons on the kitchen table, son of a gun, a couple of maijewanna plants sprouted up. How those seeds got mixed in with tomato seeds we don't know.

Yeah, not sure. Uh huh. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

StratBastard
05-16-2022, 12:59 AM
Hmmm... very strange. I'm gonna guess you bought some packets of seeds, and the bins they came from had other occupants previously.

StratBastard
05-22-2022, 01:21 AM

Box of frogs
06-25-2022, 11:54 AM
Hey Sas
Did you figure out what the aliens put in your garden ?

BoF

Sasquatch
06-25-2022, 01:57 PM
Hey Sas
Did you figure out what the aliens put in your garden ?

BoF

Pretty sure some type of squash. I let a few of them grow and some just died off. They've gotten to about medium size but have not produced anything. The squash I planted is doing really well.

Ricekila
06-25-2022, 02:39 PM

Sass-Squatches --