PDA

View Full Version : Built a platform for my Maverick deer blind.

hawgrider
05-22-2022, 06:41 PM
8'x8' platform. The Maverick blind is about 6' diameter.

5 treated 4"x4"x8'
2 treated 4"x8' 3/4" plywood
5 treated 2"x4"x8
10 joist hangers
Box of screws for the joist hangers
42 5/16x2" lag bolts

Total price $250.00 WTF!!!!!!!!! surely I must be joking right?

No! No joke lumber prices are insane!

I'll post a picture when I get it set up in the woods next weekend. Its all cut and pre assembled today then taken apart to load in the trailer to haul it up to deer camp.

Sasquatch
05-22-2022, 10:07 PM
Hoping to do a deer hunt one of these days.

BucketBack
05-23-2022, 11:04 AM
I need to start working on my new deer stand. The flip window needs a new hinge.

I'm using salvage lumber .

Mad Trapper
05-23-2022, 12:46 PM
"Total price $250.00 WTF!!!!!!!!! surely I must be joking right?"

maybe look for an old camper

Slippy
05-23-2022, 12:56 PM
Hoping to do a deer hunt one of these days.

My Deer Stand taunts me, haven't been up in it for a few years. Just not mad at my deer, I suppose.

Sas, my boy,

Next time you come over to Alabama to change Denton's diaper or do y'all little podcast thing-a-ma-jig, swing by Slippy Lodge and you can have it. Its a nice 2 man metal Tree Stand. Pics to follow...

hawgrider
05-23-2022, 02:01 PM
My Deer Stand taunts me, haven't been up in it for a few years. Just not mad at my deer, I suppose.

Sas, my boy,

Next time you come over to Alabama to change Denton's diaper or do y'all little podcast thing-a-ma-jig, swing by Slippy Lodge and you can have it. Its a nice 2 man metal Tree Stand. Pics to follow...

Mad at your deer? Lolololol!

I'm never mad at deer I just like to eat them. :)

Big Ken
05-23-2022, 03:01 PM
"Total price $250.00 WTF!!!!!!!!! surely I must be joking right?"

maybe look for an old camper

Hey that looks familiar.

Sparkyprep
05-23-2022, 04:43 PM
Lumber is still crazy expensive. Gonna cost me nearly $1000 to build my chicken coop.

hawgrider
05-23-2022, 04:52 PM
Lumber is still crazy expensive. Gonna cost me nearly $1000 to build my chicken coop.

It's maddening for sure!

TJC44
05-23-2022, 07:28 PM
Hey that looks familiar.

Now THAT takes deer hunting to a whole 'nother level!

Mad Trapper
05-24-2022, 11:55 AM
It's maddening for sure!

Have you done any ground stands with natural materials? Just a little plastic can make them rain proof and they are not noticeable like a pre-made tent, cost about a sheet of plastic. I'll get a picture of one close by. Make a few for different weather/winds.

I've also done pit blinds, not good in inclement weather, and field of view limited. But did it bow hunting right next to a run. Pop up and deer are like WTF? You are 6 yards away?

hawgrider
05-24-2022, 12:01 PM
Have you done any ground stands with natural materials? Just a little plastic can make them rain proof and they are not noticeable like a pre-made tent, cost about a sheet of plastic. I'll get a picture of one close by. Make a few for different weather/winds.

I've also done pit blinds, not good in inclement weather, and field of view limited. But did it bow hunting right next to a run. Pop up and deer are like WTF? You are 6 yards away?

Oh yeah did 40 years of natural ground and pit blinds also many of tree stand hunts. Im to old and spoiled now that I hunt my son inlaws farm land. I now sit in a heated 72 inch tall 6 ft dia 9 window Maverick blind.
I have always done all day hunts so now its comfortable hot coffee hot hot lunch and wait for the bucks to fall into my sights. No more tents either this is a permanent blind.

Mad Trapper
05-24-2022, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah did 40 years of natural ground and pit blinds also many of tree stand hunts. Im to old and spoiled now that I hunt my son inlaws farm land. I now sit in a heated 72 inch tall 6 ft dia 9 window Maverick blind.
I have always done all day hunts so now its comfortable hot coffee hot hot lunch and wait for the bucks to fall into my sights. No more tents either this is a permanent blind.

I'm getting old too. But if if there is fresh tracking snow, or wet/quiet, and woods are not "crunchy", I still prefer cutting a fresh big track until I shoot/shot/missed or it gets dark.

Blinds are for small places where deer need to come to you (suburbs) and not chase them into houses, or it's too noisy to hunt. I learn a lot more stalking and it's more enjoyable/healthy than sitting in a stand. HEATED!!! WTF!!!! If I can shoot one from my house I will though. :beerchug:

Ricekila
05-24-2022, 01:27 PM
If I can shoot one from my house I will though. :beerchug:

Wifey's cousin in PA has a nice range setup ---- and if he sits in his back room early in the mornings with the sliding glass doors open ------- BANG --- Bambi in the freezer -- BANG ---- Ronno in the freezer -------- he can average 2 or more per month if he wants ------- he lets the young ones pass through --- old and sick ----- they never make it to the other side of the yard ------

Mad Trapper
05-24-2022, 01:31 PM
Wifey's cousin in PA has a nice range setup ---- and if he sits in his back room early in the mornings with the sliding glass doors open ------- BANG --- Bambi in the freezer -- BANG ---- Ronno in the freezer -------- he can average 2 or more per month if he wants ------- he lets the young ones pass through --- old and sick ----- they never make it to the other side of the yard ------

i got up last week started coffee opened up barn.

Had coffee eggs went back out, WTF? Debris out of barn, bear with bag of sunflower seed looking at me. Gun was inside, bear left ASAP..........

Ricekila
05-24-2022, 01:44 PM
i got up last week started coffee opened up barn.

Had coffee eggs went back out, WTF? Debris out of barn, bear with bag of sunflower seed looking at me. Gun was inside, bear left ASAP..........

We have the same animal problem here ---- for the last 3 years or so -- I have a LC-9 tucked in my shorts whenever I go into my yard --

The dazzling young urbanites love dem-some senior citizens a lot of push-ins lately ----- rastus would be in for a big surprise -- LOL

Mad Trapper
05-24-2022, 02:04 PM
We have the same animal problem here ---- for the last 3 years or so -- I have a LC-9 tucked in my shorts whenever I go into my yard --

The dazzling young urbanites love dem-some senior citizens a lot of push-ins lately ----- rastus would be in for a big surprise -- LOL

To avoid gun law storage, I use Hawken perc rifles, always a few loaded and handy, 50s shoot -385 54 -425 and 58 525-gr. All with a stout charge that will ventilate any beast in NA.

the 50 at 50 , opens 5 shots of 385 conicals, that's minute of deer : 2" high at 50 about 1" at 80, and dead on at 100, ~1" high 25

hawgrider
05-24-2022, 03:13 PM
I'm getting old too. But if if there is fresh tracking snow, or wet/quiet, and woods are not "crunchy", I still prefer cutting a fresh big track until I shoot/shot/missed or it gets dark.

Blinds are for small places where deer need to come to you (suburbs) and not chase them into houses, or it's too noisy to hunt. I learn a lot more stalking and it's more enjoyable/healthy than sitting in a stand. HEATED!!! WTF!!!! If I can shoot one from my house I will though. :beerchug:

I used to still/stalk hunt on state and federal land. Farm country now with wood lots in-between corn wheat and soy beans.

hawgrider
05-27-2022, 05:22 PM
Platform is up and level. Will attach the Maverick blind to the deck tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/UBuAwOt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6thXGtQ.jpg

Ricekila
05-27-2022, 05:59 PM
Here's a question --- paint the outside edges & posts a flat neutral color ?

And a trap door in the middle ?

Dead nuts level or rain run-off slight tilt ?

Inor
05-27-2022, 07:14 PM
Nicely done! I especially like how you did the posts sitting on TOP of the concrete. Too many assholes around here dig a hole and cement the posts into the ground... Then they wonder why their expensive green-treated posts rot off in 8 years.

Box of frogs
05-27-2022, 08:44 PM
Nicely done sir.

Happy hunting next season

BoF

hawgrider
05-27-2022, 10:13 PM
Here's a question --- paint the outside edges & posts a flat neutral color ?

And a trap door in the middle ?

Dead nuts level or rain run-off slight tilt ? Treated wood so no paint or nothin for a while the stuff is soaking wet with the treatment.

At some point l'll blow some Thompsons water seal on it.

Almost deadnuts level close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Hmm trap door... yeah mount a cooler under the trap door and fill it with beer! Yeah good Idea.

hawgrider
05-27-2022, 10:16 PM
Nicely done! I especially like how you did the posts sitting on TOP of the concrete. Too many assholes around here dig a hole and cement the posts into the ground... Then they wonder why their expensive green-treated posts rot off in 8 years.

Soft wet ground here in the woodlots so yeah the patio stones will keep me from sinking in and keep the treated wood dry.

Inor
05-27-2022, 10:21 PM
Soft wet ground here in the woodlots so yeah the patio stones will keep me from sinking in and keep the treated wood dry.

Even in the desert, they rot off in less than 10 years if just buried in concrete.

As an experiment, I did put up a green post in concrete in the ground for a bird feeder for Mrs Inor. But I did coat the underground part liberally with roofing tar first. I do not know if it will work, but it is worth a try. And if/when it fails, it is just a bird feeder.

hawgrider
05-27-2022, 10:25 PM
Even in the desert, they rot off in less than 10 years if just buried in concrete.

As an experiment, I did put up a green post in concrete in the ground for a bird feeder for Mrs Inor. But I did coat the underground part liberally with roofing tar first. I do not know if it will work, but it is worth a try. And if/when it fails, it is just a bird feeder.

Tar should extend the life of that post for a good long time.

When I worked for the DNR back in the 70's we would creosote the posts.

Slippy
05-28-2022, 05:57 AM
Very nice!

Platform is up and level. Will attach the Maverick blind to the deck tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/UBuAwOt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6thXGtQ.jpg

Slippy
05-28-2022, 05:59 AM
Pressure Treated wood ain't the same since the .gov forced the treaters to stop using CCA. (Chromated Copper Arsenate)

Ricekila
05-28-2022, 06:21 AM
Hmm trap door... yeah mount a cooler under the trap door and fill it with beer! Yeah good Idea.

One or more traps for any storage needed ------- my luck the exploding heater would be between me & the front door ---- + you're in the middle of no wear --- just another way to get out ?

P/S ---- Ring door bell ?

P/SS --- trap in the middle --- so when you miss that 87 point buck ---- you can hang yourself and avoid the shame - embarrassment and future regret -- https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/.highres/eea9c8b8.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/.highres/eea9c8b8.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds)

hawgrider
05-28-2022, 10:10 AM
The final resting place.
https://i.imgur.com/jfd94Ue.jpg

Only thing left to do is build a few steps on this side.
The hibachi goes on the upper right of the deck.
I'll run the propane hose up thru the floor and the tank will sit on a patio block on the ground under the deck.
https://i.imgur.com/SHON3iN.jpg

Ricekila
05-28-2022, 12:01 PM
I could live in there ---

hawgrider
05-28-2022, 01:27 PM
I could live in there ---
Oh hell yes thats what im thinking. With a ribeye on the hibachi and a trap door cooler full of beer Im never leaving!

Ricekila
05-28-2022, 03:11 PM
Oh hell yes thats what im thinking. With a ribeye on the hibachi and a trap door cooler full of beer Im never leaving!

There would have to be a hatch with a wire basket under the floor to store my piss soda bottles ----- if theres anyone thats gonna step or tip over one ----

hawgrider
07-28-2022, 06:07 PM
The fox squirrels have been eating my deck so I threw on some drip edge and slapped together my steps. Now the squirrels must die! Treated wood eating bastards!

https://i.imgur.com/0ypjfYS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dvYXCsx.jpg

hawgrider
07-28-2022, 10:27 PM
This is what the fox squirrels were doing.

https://i.imgur.com/TH2zEPR.jpg