PDA

View Full Version : Bow drill

Mad Trapper
07-13-2022, 09:06 AM
Get this dead bushcraft thread active?

Power went out last night, had a rechargeable LED, flashlights, kero lanterns, candles........(working back in time)......thought about having light/fire

I ran across these old pictures of mine....

Anybody else make fire by friction? Takes some practice, but just need some cordage/bootlace and a good knife to make a set up.

This one is a poplar fireboard and spindle, ash handhold, maple bow, and 550 cord string

SOCOM42
07-13-2022, 10:16 AM
Have not done that since Boy Scouts.

I don't think I will get into a situation where I will have to employ those primitive means.

Power went out here for a short time from the T-storm, just laid back and listened to my SW radio.

The radio is powered by an automotive battery for my Jeep, has never run down using it, keep it on a trickle charger.

Did not even light a lantern or lamp, just laid there, relaxed and listened to the rain, all was fine.

Dwight55
07-13-2022, 11:26 AM
I carry a pocket knife and a magnesium/flint fire starter in my front left pocket every place I go.

In about 2 shakes of a possum tail . . . I can have a small inferno going.

And the mag/flints are cheap . . . get a dozen and stash them. You'll probably never run out.

May God bless,
Dwight

MountainGirl
07-13-2022, 12:02 PM
I've never tried it.
I do have a couple hundred Bic lighters on hand though...
(Yeah yeah, I know)

I bet PO has a mag/flint firestarter in one of his bags..
He has a lot of gear...I'm still discovering all kinds of new things with him. :)

Mad Trapper
07-13-2022, 02:46 PM
I've never tried it.
I do have a couple hundred Bic lighters on hand though...
(Yeah yeah, I know)

I bet PO has a mag/flint firestarter in one of his bags..
He has a lot of gear...I'm still discovering all kinds of new things with him. :)

PO knows quite a bit, share your stuff!!!.......Wait you.... know that........:slapping: continue on....have fun :thumb:

Back to fires.......

TJC44
07-14-2022, 03:56 PM
PO knows quite a bit, share your stuff!!!.......Wait you.... know that........:slapping: continue on....have fun :thumb:

Back to fires.......

No friction there...just sayin.:bounce:

MountainGirl
07-15-2022, 04:29 PM
No friction there...just sayin.:bounce:

Um... never mind. :D

KnuteFartne
07-16-2022, 10:03 PM
I've done it 5 or 6 times but definitely takes practice. I still have my bow in the garage just in case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk