PDA

View Full Version : Planning a garden

justlooking
02-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Ok. Hints. Tips. Ideas

Been years and even then it wasmore for just eating than canning from.

MrsInor
02-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Plant what you will eat. No sense growing peas if nobody will eat them.

hawgrider
02-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Ok. Hints. Tips. Ideas

Been years and even then it wasmore for just eating than canning from.The size of your garden will dictate what goes in it.

Mine for example is puny. And the amount of sun is marginal at best. I could not do any canning from my garden as its not big enough for anything but having fresh veggies for the table along with some herbs to dehydrate.

Inor
02-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Plant what you will eat. No sense growing peas if nobody will eat them.

Nobody should grow peas. Ever! :suicide:

Innkeeper
02-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I am thinking about cutting some of the trees back in the yard to increase the sunlight and eventually increase the garden size. But one step at a time.

Eagles700LvL
02-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Check out this site.

http://www.smartgardener.com/

I used it last year and it's pretty useful. Tell it the number of people, what you want to plant, you garden(s) dimensions, the direction the garden is facing, etc and it will fill in suggestions on how much to plant and where at in the garden.

It's free, there are add on fee based calculators you can purchase, but I never used them.

Montana Rancher
02-19-2015, 01:30 AM
Gah

I went out to my book case knowing I had the answer but I failed to find the volume that would answer your question though I know I have it somewhere, maybe upstairs next to the sofa.

But I did find a few volumes that I treasure

"The Farm Management Handbook" 1972
" Small Scale Grain Raising" 1977
"Where there is no Doctor" 2010
"Country wisdom and Know How" 2004
"Soap making from scratch" 2012
"Canning, freezing, smoking meat fish and game" 2002
"Complete idiots guide to Fermenting Foods" 2012

These are actually some of the most useful references, I couldn't find my book of "carrots love tomatoes" but it was a great read.

I guess I'm making the point that if you don't know about something, maybe think about visiting your local book exchange and picking up some reference in case "it" hits the fan and you don't have the internet.

justlooking
02-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Gah

I went out to my book case knowing I had the answer but I failed to find the volume that would answer your question though I know I have it somewhere, maybe upstairs next to the sofa.

But I did find a few volumes that I treasure

"The Farm Management Handbook" 1972
" Small Scale Grain Raising" 1977
"Where there is no Doctor" 2010
"Country wisdom and Know How" 2004
"Soap making from scratch" 2012
"Canning, freezing, smoking meat fish and game" 2002
"Complete idiots guide to Fermenting Foods" 2012

These are actually some of the most useful references, I couldn't find my book of "carrots love tomatoes" but it was a great read.

I guess I'm making the point that if you don't know about something, maybe think about visiting your local book exchange and picking up some reference in case "it" hits the fan and you don't have the internet.
Thanks for your kind reply and book recomendations :)

Dwight55
02-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Try this one, . . . lots of good information here.

http://overgrowthesystem.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-vegetable-gardening-in-one-graphic/

I like the idea about planting "these ones" together, . . . as they mutually discourage pests and weeds.

If I do plant something there that I don't eat (maybe "Peas" ), . . . I figure I can trade them for something down at the farmer's market.

Make the most of whatever you do, . . . and plant at least 3 or 4 extra things, . . . you'll learn from them even if it is that they don't work for you.

May God bless,
Dwight