PDA

View Full Version : I think I might have homo nuts!

Inor
07-22-2022, 07:54 PM
A few years ago I planted 2 almond trees. From studying up on them before we planted them, they are supposed to be able to produce up to 40 pounds of almonds per tree per year. They are nowhere near big enough to be able to do that yet, but one has been consistently giving us a good batch of almonds every year for the size of the tree. The other one has not produced a single nut in 3 years! They both look healthy, dark green leaves, etc. I put each on our automatic irrigation so each are getting plenty of water. I even double checked the water lines today to make sure water is really flowing. It is.

Both trees get plenty of flowers in the spring. Both trees get the same fertilizer.

So the only thing I can come up with is maybe the tree which is not producing is a homo? The two trees are only about 30 feet apart and the one that is producing is perfectly shaped etc. I mean, if I were an almond tree, the producing one would definitely get my motor running. Do any of you gardening gurus have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong and how to correct it?

Living in the desert, I do not want to waste water on a tree that is not going to produce anything. And if it has gone homo, maybe there is a way that I get it back to normal?

Dwight55
07-22-2022, 08:42 PM
Why Won’t My Almond Tree Fruit?

So maybe getting nuts from your almond tree wasn’t the only reason you planted it. It provides shade and height for your landscape, but you also really hoped to get a harvest of almonds out of it. An almond tree not producing nuts can be a big disappointment.

One reason that you may not be seeing nuts yet is that you just haven’t waited long enough. Nut trees can take a few years to begin producing. For almonds, you may have to wait until it is four years old before you see nuts. So, if you got a tree from the nursery and it was only one year old, you may just need to be patient. Once it gets going, you can expect up to 50 years of yields.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Almond Tree Not Producing Nuts: Causes For An Almond Tree With No Nuts https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/nut-trees/almonds/almond-tree-not-producing-nuts.htm

I dug this of the internet . . . had a little walnut tree like that when I was a kid. I think it was maybe the 3rd year . . . don't recall for sure . . . just was aggravated that we got no walnuts from the little rascal.

May God bless,
Dwight

Broncosfan
07-22-2022, 09:18 PM
Is it the same variety as the others? Different varieties can have a longer wait to produce nuts. I'm still new to nut trees as this year we planted several varieties of hazelnut, English walnut and chestnuts. I'm just hoping to see something in 6-8 years.

stevekozak
07-23-2022, 06:51 AM
Tree conversion therapy?

Slippy
07-23-2022, 08:33 AM
Pollinators!

https://www.thepollinators.net/how-to-watch

MountainGirl
07-24-2022, 05:54 AM

Living in the desert, I do not want to waste water on a tree that is not going to produce anything. And if it has gone homo, maybe there is a way that I get it back to normal?

I get that about the water - but if the tree is cross pollinating the producer, it's vital to her having fruit.

From the net: "Despite the flowers being monoecious, which means each one has male and female parts, two different types of almond trees are necessary for proper pollination and the production of fruit."

Broncosfan is on to something there - maybe check the variety of the shy one for the wait time.

Prepared One
07-24-2022, 10:10 AM
I would check that tree for Monkeypox. :mocking:

Mad Trapper
07-24-2022, 10:36 AM
Next spring take a good look at the flowers on each, and determine if they have both male and female parts (stamen and pistil).

hawgrider
07-24-2022, 11:11 AM
I would check that tree for Monkeypox. :mocking:

That was pretty damn funny right there it was! ^^