PDA

View Full Version : Good neighbors are good to have!

Inor
07-29-2022, 10:56 PM
I told you all about my neighbor John. He is a hell of a good guy. He is the guy that had cancer surgery the day after I had surgery on my ankle last winter. We spent a fair amount of time together when we were convalescing from our respective surgeries.

A few weeks ago, I was up at John's place clearing out his fire break at the same time I was clearing ours. Another buddy of John's stopped by, Mr Taylor. (I cannot remember his first name). Apparently, Mr Taylor is a fairly renowned tool and die maker. He is also a hell of a nice guy but I never thought much about him after meeting him that day.

Mrs Inor was at the post office today and there was a package for me from Mr Taylor.

He had made me a set of brass setup blocks for my router and a set of 1-2-3 blocks! The 1-2-3 blocks are probably accurate to less than 1/10,000 inch and are definitely overkill for what I need in a wood shop, but damn! They are cool as hell and I can already think of a million uses for them. I have needed a new set of brass setup blocks for close to 10 years, but they are just one of those things that I never seemed to get around to getting for myself. (My old ones are all beat to shit from being carried around in my pockets, dropped, kicked under benches, etc.)

There are still quite a few damn good folks in the world!

Sasquatch
07-30-2022, 12:59 AM
Great score!

red442joe
07-30-2022, 06:05 AM
Truly Christmas in July!

Joe

Slippy
07-30-2022, 06:24 AM
Inor;

Good People Meet Good People!

I told you all about my neighbor John. He is a hell of a good guy. He is the guy that had cancer surgery the day after I had surgery on my ankle last winter. We spent a fair amount of time together when we were convalescing from our respective surgeries.

A few weeks ago, I was up at John's place clearing out his fire break at the same time I was clearing ours. Another buddy of John's stopped by, Mr Taylor. (I cannot remember his first name). Apparently, Mr Taylor is a fairly renowned tool and die maker. He is also a hell of a nice guy but I never thought much about him after meeting him that day.

Mrs Inor was at the post office today and there was a package for me from Mr Taylor.

He had made me a set of brass setup blocks for my router and a set of 1-2-3 blocks! The 1-2-3 blocks are probably accurate to less than 1/10,000 inch and are definitely overkill for what I need in a wood shop, but damn! They are cool as hell and I can already think of a million uses for them. I have needed a new set of brass setup blocks for close to 10 years, but they are just one of those things that I never seemed to get around to getting for myself. (My old ones are all beat to shit from being carried around in my pockets, dropped, kicked under benches, etc.)

BucketBack
07-30-2022, 07:45 AM

I used to use gramps 1-2-3 blocks that were ground .003" full. It messed with folks borrowing my crap. He made them to set up his grinder at Chrysler .Oh, the shrink scale was the bomb also.

Lots of angles, squares, vises, blocks that Chrysler paid him to made.

Jester-ND
07-30-2022, 08:33 AM
Have to disagree with the title....... No neighbors are good to have.... but congrats on finding a gem!

T-Man 1066
07-30-2022, 10:16 AM
1-2-3 blocks are handier than hell. I just finished up a job where I ended up using 6 pair of them between 2 machines, I was down to 1 rusty pair and 1 brand new set not being used.

I also have a couple sets of Suburban 1-2-3 no hole blocks. Two sets for the inspection table, and one orphan that I like to use for touching tools off on the CNC. Also have a couple pair of the big brother 2-4-6 blocks as well.

Nice score!

SOCOM42
07-30-2022, 10:50 AM
1-2-3 blocks are handier than hell. I just finished up a job where I ended up using 6 pair of them between 2 machines, I was down to 1 rusty pair and 1 brand new set not being used.

I also have a couple sets of Suburban 1-2-3 no hole blocks. Two sets for the inspection table, and one orphan that I like to use for touching tools off on the CNC. Also have a couple pair of the big brother 2-4-6 blocks as well.

Nice score!

I have a bunch also, no holes, clear holes and those with tapped holes,

all have been used over the decades, two just sit on the granite plate.

BucketBack
07-30-2022, 11:09 AM
All I have in Gramps rusty steel surface plate. My Polish friend John used it to support his boat trailer jack over the winter.

It's time for a new Lady Bird Quit Claim Deed.

T-Man 1066
07-30-2022, 01:09 PM
I have a 18 x 24 cast iron lapping plate, with the pivot holes and everything. Can't give it away. Otherwise have 4 granite plates, biggest is 24 x 36, nicest is a 18 x 24 Starrett Grade A Pink... I keep a Cadillac gage on the big plate...

TJC44
07-31-2022, 08:41 AM
O.K., I am going to show my ignorance here, but I am not a Machinist.

What is a "1-2-3 block"?

T-Man 1066
07-31-2022, 09:25 AM

What is a "1-2-3 block"?

It's the hardened steel block shown in the pic in the first post. Precision ground square and parallel. Laid flat is 1.000" high, on edge is 2.000" high, and on end 3.000" high. The holes allow them to be bolted to fixtures, or each other to make custom setups.

You can probably guess about 2-4-6 blocks....

Inor
07-31-2022, 09:27 AM

What is a "1-2-3 block"?

It is a block of extremely hard steel that is exactly 1 inch thick, 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. The faces are machined to be exactly 90 degrees from each other. Most, like mine in the picture, have holes (some threaded, some not) so you can bolt them together to make simple setup jigs on the fly. Metal workers have used them for hundreds of years for setting up their toolings. Using them the way I am, in the wood shop is less common, but you get your machines absolutely dead-nuts square. They cannot be beat for speed and accuracy.

Piratesailor
07-31-2022, 09:43 AM
It’s always good to have good neighbors.

T-Man 1066
07-31-2022, 10:10 AM
It is a block of extremely hard steel that is exactly 1 inch thick, 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. The faces are machined to be exactly 90 degrees from each other. Most, like mine in the picture, have holes (some threaded, some not) so you can bolt them together to make simple setup jigs on the fly. Metal workers have used them for hundreds of years for setting up their toolings. Using them the way I am, in the wood shop is less common, but you get your machines absolutely dead-nuts square. They cannot be beat for speed and accuracy.

We must have been typing at about the same time...

Great minds think alike!