PDA

View Full Version : So did I just poison us?

MountainGirl
08-07-2022, 01:50 PM
Wanted chicken & noodles for lunch, so -

Boiled up store bought chicken thighs, took them out to cut meat off of the bone, pulled very fat skin away - and on one of them, between the skin and meat, was something I've never seen before. Little granules, a lot of them, fully covered maybe 1/4 the area on the meat. I shoulda taken a pic of it right then. Instead - I scraped them off and continued making dinner... not sure what I was thinking (if at all), likely that it was just fat globs or something.... Whatever they were, none got in the lunch.

But now - I've got a helluva stomach ache. PO ate some maybe an hour after I did, he's not sick yet. Gave some to our little dog, too.

So I dug in the trash, and took a pic that kinda shows them. Zooming in on the pic - they now look like maybe they're parasite's eggs? Hey you chicken farmers (or cooks!) - any guesses? Is this a common thing in really fat chickens? Those thighs had an abundance of fat.

Box of frogs
08-07-2022, 01:53 PM
No pic.

I can’t help anyway. We just use ours as laying hens.
Inor just butchered several. He might have a idea.
Hope you get feeling better
BoF

MountainGirl
08-07-2022, 01:58 PM
No pic.

I can’t help anyway. We just use ours as laying hens.
Inor just butchered several. He might have a idea.
Hope you get feeling better
BoF

Thanks FroggyBox.
Pic might be there now - I have to load them from a separate device.

hawgrider
08-07-2022, 02:55 PM
Never seen that on any chicken even... God forbid Tyson or Smithfield.

Never seen it on any of our butchered chickens.

Sparkyprep
08-07-2022, 03:35 PM
That is a new one on me......

Inor
08-07-2022, 03:48 PM
I have never seen anything like that. That looks nasty! Whatever it is, don't put your lips on it!!!

Our first batch of home-grown chickens had almost no fat at all. It was really too little fat. We have the next batch of meat chickens coming at the end of this month. We are going to try and figure out a way to add some fat to them so the meat does not come out quite so dry.

SOCOM42
08-07-2022, 04:29 PM
I pull a long shot here, the shit looks like granules of breading that were picked up somewhere, not fat.

Production lines are not always properly cleaned, remember they sell breaded and cooked chicken, lines change over for it.

The piece could have been dropped on the floor where it picked the shit up.

Remember I am only basing this on a photo, if here it would go under a microscope or macroscope to see it better.

I get some really fat carrying chicken pieces from the BJ's club, I think it might be local (NE) product.

Even the chickens we ate from the farm never looked like that, and my grandparents had five thousand of egg layers.

1skrewsloose
08-07-2022, 06:37 PM
I looked on the net found nothing. Could be the fat reacting to the plumping, the process of injecting chickens to get rid of the chemical taste from disenfecting the meat. Just my guess though.

Dwight55
08-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Anything comes in my house looking like that . . . going into a freezer bag . . . then back to the store I got it from . . . and maybe with some sort of state meat inspector or something.

Last thing I would ever do is eat it.

May God bless,
Dwight

shootbrownelk
08-07-2022, 07:41 PM
I pull a long shot here, the shit looks like granules of breading that were picked up somewhere, not fat.

Production lines are not always properly cleaned, remember they sell breaded and cooked chicken, lines change over for it.

The piece could have been dropped on the floor where it picked the shit up.

Remember I am only basing this on a photo, if here it would go under a microscope or macroscope to see it better.

I get some really fat carrying chicken pieces from the BJ's club, I think it might be local (NE) product.

Even the chickens we ate from the farm never looked like that, and my grandparents had five thousand of egg layers.

She said that the contamination was between the skin & the meat. It didn't get there from being dropped on the floor. That's got me stumped, looks like a parasite or a growth of some type. Maybe ask your local County AG agent or Community college AG extension office.

MountainGirl
08-07-2022, 08:15 PM
Thanks all for the replies, guys.

It did look kind of like breading crumbs, SOCOM - the pieces were all the same size and shape - and I wish that was it actually but like SBE said... dunno how it could have gotten there. There was so much fat on that skin - like 1/2" thick, attached to the outer skin. Never seen skin-fat like that either. Maybe this was... oh hell, who knows.

PO had no reaction; pup is fine.
I kept that piece of skin I dug out of the trash; double-baggied & in the fridge.
Not sure yet what I'll do - but it didn't kill me so there is that.
And, the days of "Dont know what it is but I can scrape it off and lets eat it anyway" are over.

I'm going to blame this morning's cordite over-exposure for the bad call on my part. Sigh... :bounce:

SOCOM42
08-07-2022, 10:47 PM
Hey MG, can you send me a sample of it?

If any left, put some in a sealable bottle with some Isopropyl alcohol or formalin fix and send it to me.

If I find anything under the scope, I will photograph it and post it here.

MountainGirl
08-08-2022, 08:05 AM

If any left, put some in a sealable bottle with some Isopropyl alcohol or formalin fix and send it to me.

Done.

Here's what it looked like when I pulled the skin back -
(I still use the Paint app from the 90's, lol)

SOCOM42
08-08-2022, 08:49 AM
Done.

Speaking of dogs, our new pup, an AKC golden Retriever, 6 months old, is a pretty sneaky dog.

The other day was making a sandwich on the counter, turned around to grab the Miracle Whip,

turned back and the Romain I had put on the sandwich was gone! Just the Romain, meat was still there.

Saw her walking off with it while chewing on it.

Two of the dogs love that weed, they beg for the trimmings from it when making chicken Caesar Salad like last night.

The goldens are great loves, and like to catch and eat mice.

Piratesailor
08-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Fat globules.

MountainGirl
08-08-2022, 03:30 PM
Fat globules.

I hope that's all they were. :thumb:

And on a related note, found this out on the driveway this morning.
It might look like a flapjack... but I don't think I'll be serving it up. :D

hawgrider
08-08-2022, 04:45 PM

Well... its not peyote lol!

Sparkyprep
08-08-2022, 05:01 PM
Well... its not peyote lol!

It would probably just kill you.

shootbrownelk
08-08-2022, 05:31 PM

Oh Boy! I do love me a caper.

Inor
08-08-2022, 06:32 PM

What the hell kind of place do you live?!?!?! When we moved to AZ I thought it was bad with all the crazy poisonous plants and animals and bugs running around! THAT looks like something from outer space! You and PO need to get out of there before it starts trying to do an anal probe on ya'll!!!!

Prepared One
08-08-2022, 07:56 PM
What the hell kind of place do you live?!?!?! When we moved to AZ I thought it was bad with all the crazy poisonous plants and animals and bugs running around! THAT looks like something from outer space! You and PO need to get out of there before it starts trying to do an anal probe on ya'll!!!!

We grow aliens big here. I am told the cows like em. :biglaugh: