PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new knife...

Inor
08-07-2022, 09:58 PM
I have not gotten a new high quality knife for a while, so I ordered this one today with some left over hotel points from when I was traveling a lot:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT1214/microtech-121-4-ultratech-auto-otf-knife-satin-plain-drop-point-blade-black-aluminum-handles

When I was digging around preparing to post this thread, I noticed it is the exact same knife Kusa bought a couple years ago. I hope this doesn't me make into Kusa... (or Tourist for that matter.)

StratBastard
08-07-2022, 10:12 PM
I have not gotten a new high quality knife for a while, so I ordered this one today with some left over hotel points from when I was traveling a lot:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT1214/microtech-121-4-ultratech-auto-otf-knife-satin-plain-drop-point-blade-black-aluminum-handles

When I was digging around preparing to post this thread, I noticed it is the exact same knife Kusa bought a couple years ago. I hope this doesn't me make into Kusa... (or Tourist for that matter.)

She's a pretty one. And MicroTech makes a good quality OTF.

MountainGirl
08-08-2022, 08:29 AM
I kinda blinked at the price... until I saw this one of theirs -

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT12216CFS/microtech-122-16cfs-ultratech-signature-series-auto-otf-damascus-double-edge-dagger-blade-black-aluminum-handle-with-carbon-fiber-top

What is so special about that ^^ one that would make it 3x the cost of yours? The one you picked is really sweet.. and it seems those both work the same way so I'm guessing the internals are the same?

hawgrider
08-08-2022, 08:31 AM
Nice pig sticker!

SOCOM42
08-08-2022, 08:59 AM

Nice blade, but as said, in this blue state they are forbidden.

I carried a 6" double edge dagger under my Kevlar while on duty, there is a police exception.

Still have several "banned" knives, I can't carry them anymore, legally that is.

Makes no sense, I can carry a pistol or a subgun under my coat without a problem, but limited on knives.

Inor
08-08-2022, 09:17 AM
I kinda blinked at the price... until I saw this one of theirs -

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT12216CFS/microtech-122-16cfs-ultratech-signature-series-auto-otf-damascus-double-edge-dagger-blade-black-aluminum-handle-with-carbon-fiber-top

What is so special about that ^^ one that would make it 3x the cost of yours? The one you picked is really sweet.. and it seems those both work the same way so I'm guessing the internals are the same?

The blade is Damascus steel. That is why it is so ridiculously expensive.

Even what they want for the one I ordered is too much for what I am will to give out of pocket. But traveling every week for work for over 25 years, I built up a LOT of hotel points, car rental points, credit card points, etc. I can transfer those into AmEx/Visa gift cards to spend on frivolous crap like this. That is also how I paid for most of my wood shop, although the wood shop is not frivolous...

MountainGirl
08-08-2022, 09:22 AM
The blade is Damascus steel. That is why it is so ridiculously expensive.

Even what they want for the one I ordered is too much for what I am will to give out of pocket. But traveling every week for work for over 25 years, I built up a LOT of hotel points, car rental points, credit card points, etc. I can transfer those into AmEx/Visa gift cards to spend on frivolous crap like this. That is also how I paid for most of my wood shop, although the wood shop is not frivolous...

Ah..right! Great use for those points! :)

On a side note - I found my brand of smokes online for about a third of the price, thought Alright!!... went through the signup to order, got to the payment page and only bitcoin was accepted. Was like WTF?? Thought of you, and backed out slowly. :mocking:

(Hope your cyber money is doing okay!)

Prepared One
08-08-2022, 09:58 AM

You and the Tourist can meet at the Mall! :bigthumbup:

hawgrider
08-08-2022, 12:32 PM

That's funny right there! ^^

Slippy
08-08-2022, 04:53 PM

Outstanding knife, INOR!

shootbrownelk
08-08-2022, 05:36 PM
That's a sweet knife Inor, enjoy it.

Inor
08-08-2022, 06:00 PM

Do the letters F.O. mean anything to you? :biglaugh:

Inor
08-08-2022, 06:24 PM

On a side note - I found my brand of smokes online for about a third of the price, thought Alright!!... went through the signup to order, got to the payment page and only bitcoin was accepted. Was like WTF?? Thought of you, and backed out slowly. :mocking:

I should do an update on that thread in the next few days because that one has been a really fun trip. I think it is going to work out well, but the jury is still out to know for sure.

StratBastard
08-09-2022, 02:01 AM

Smoking (one of my many favorite bad habits) has become insanely expensive due to taxes here... my American Spirits are approaching $12 a pack, or $108 a carton. Yegods!!! They were .27 cents when I first started as an incorrigible young boy. I try and make a pack last two days, but still... when your tobacco costs exceed your bourbon costs, something is wrong in the world.

MountainGirl
08-09-2022, 06:24 AM
Smoking (one of my many favorite bad habits) has become insanely expensive due to taxes here... my American Spirits are approaching $12 a pack, or $108 a carton. Yegods!!! They were .27 cents when I first started as an incorrigible young boy. I try and make a pack last two days, but still... when your tobacco costs exceed your bourbon costs, something is wrong in the world.

Yeah, no kidding. American Spirits are $11.08/pack here, and because they burn so slow - I smoke them half at a time (sand ashtrays work best), so that's like $$5.54 a pack... same as the cheapies! Plus, with it being only tobacco (no additives) to me it's worth it. I think a pack lasts me three days? I don't really pay attention to it. Then again, we don't pay attention to our bourbon costs either. LOLOL

p.s... Lemme know if you want that link to buying them online with bitcoin. They were $29/carton.

hawgrider
08-09-2022, 07:38 AM

Rolling my own for the last 15 years still cheap.
Gambler or Kentucky select just like a Marlboro.

StratBastard
08-09-2022, 01:08 PM
Yeah, no kidding. American Spirits are $11.08/pack here, and because they burn so slow - I smoke them half at a time (sand ashtrays work best), so that's like $$5.54 a pack... same as the cheapies! Plus, with it being only tobacco (no additives) to me it's worth it. I think a pack lasts me three days? I don't really pay attention to it. Then again, we don't pay attention to our bourbon costs either. LOLOL

p.s... Lemme know if you want that link to buying them online with bitcoin. They were $29/carton.

Yep, I keep my smoking down with a sand ashtray too... half now, half later. And I never put them in my pocket, so when I leave the house and drive somewhere I don't smoke. Just when at home.

Inor
08-13-2022, 11:58 PM
My new MicroTech came today.

For a size comparison, the blade is a little shorter than my Benchmade Osborn but the overall length is about 1/2 inch longer. It is also a little heavier than the Benchmade.

I like the shape of the blade a lot. It is a thin blade and ground to much more shallow angle than my Benchmade, Case or Bucks. The only way I can think to describe it is to say the angle is more like a classic Jack Knife (think something like a Victorinox or an old Boy Scout Knife). It slices EXTREMELY well.

Slicing was my biggest complaint with the Benchmade. It took an insane amount of work to get the angle of the cutting edge shallow enough to slice well and even then, the blade steel is thick enough that it will never be a good precision cutter. That said, the Benchmade will still be my goto knife when I just out banging around in the desert. It is exceptionally good for a small pocket knife at hacking through brush.

I think the MicroTech will work really well for castrating bulls and probably cleaning chickens or anywhere I need to be able to cut very precisely.

The only negative so far is the action is really stiff. That seems to be a common complaint when they are new and the reviews say it will loosen up with time.

All in all, it is an extremely well made knife and feels really solid. The blade has hardly any "lateral wiggle" even though it is an OTF. I am pretty dang happy with it!