PDA

View Full Version : Bird hell!!!

Inor
08-26-2022, 11:02 PM
As you all know, Mrs Inor loves to collect animals. Yesterday she informed me that she had ordered some guineas to replace a few that our newest dog Nash had sent to the great beyond.

She also said they would be arriving today.

Of the original 10 guineas, 5 are still alive (unfortunately), so she ordered 10 more as replacements. When you mail order birds, the hatchery usually includes 1 or 2 extras because sometimes they do not survive the trip. When Mrs Inor got back from picking them up at the post office this morning, she opened the box there were 20 of them in there! Why the hell would they double the order?!? Did somebody I wronged in the past somehow end up working at the hatchery?

She got them to keep the bugs under control, which they do seem to do. The problem is, the guineas are more annoying than the bugs! I would rather have the bugs!!!

To make matters even worse, we have 20 meat chickens due to arrive next week! So by next Tuesday or Wednesday, we will have the 15 egg chickens, 20 new meat chickens, 20 new guinea keets, plus the 5 guineas from last year that Nash has not yet had time to dispatch!

I feel like I am living in an Alfred Hitchcock movie!

White Shadow
08-27-2022, 12:09 AM
Sounds like Nash will be putting in some overtime.

Dwight55
08-27-2022, 06:43 AM
When Nash mistakes one of your chickens for a Guinea . . . he will think he died and went to Col Sanders version of dog heaven.

I'd instruct him on leaving fowl alone . . . or he would go to some dog store . . . and someone else could put up with him.

I am a big fan of pets . . . but destructive pets are no more worthy of my roof than would be a destructive employee.

Wish you the best . . . but just for the heck of it . . . have you ever had guinea and dumplings . . . ???

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
08-27-2022, 06:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/JZErmiL.jpg

Slippy
08-27-2022, 07:06 AM
Mrs Slippy's family had guineas when she was a child. Answers a lot of questions I have today...

MountainGirl
08-27-2022, 11:42 AM
... So by next Tuesday or Wednesday, we will have the 15 egg chickens, 20 new meat chickens, 20 new guinea keets, plus the 5 guineas from last year ...

Man plans, God laughs. :halo:

Sparkyprep
08-27-2022, 06:39 PM
I only wanted about 5 chickens. Minimum order from the hatchery was 10. Plus, they throw a few in extra. So, I went from 5 to 12.

Inor
08-27-2022, 07:37 PM
When Nash mistakes one of your chickens for a Guinea . . . he will think he died and went to Col Sanders version of dog heaven.

I'd instruct him on leaving fowl alone . . . or he would go to some dog store . . . and someone else could put up with him.

I am a big fan of pets . . . but destructive pets are no more worthy of my roof than would be a destructive employee.

Wish you the best . . . but just for the heck of it . . . have you ever had guinea and dumplings . . . ???

May God bless,
Dwight

Nash is good boy. Plus, he is still very young, only about a year old and he has only been with us for about 4 months. So he is still learning the ropes. But I am pretty sure he will work out fine.

Plus, our secret weapon for keeping the chickens safe is Odin!

Odin is about twice the size of Nash and he is absolutely the Farm Boss. Mrs Inor and I like to say "we have chickens" but the reality is, Odie has chickens and Mrs Inor and I just feed them and pay for them. The two times Nash did try to go after the chickens, Odin put him down hard. Odie absolutely adores the chickens and they follow him everywhere. It is a hilarious sight.

But he does not care for the guineas. He does not go after them, but he does not get upset when Nash does. (It's pretty much the same as me in that regard...)

Mad Trapper
08-28-2022, 10:33 AM
Nash is good boy. Plus, he is still very young, only about a year old and he has only been with us for about 4 months. So he is still learning the ropes. But I am pretty sure he will work out fine.

Plus, our secret weapon for keeping the chickens safe is Odin!

Odin is about twice the size of Nash and he is absolutely the Farm Boss. Mrs Inor and I like to say "we have chickens" but the reality is, Odie has chickens and Mrs Inor and I just feed them and pay for them. The two times Nash did try to go after the chickens, Odin put him down hard. Odie absolutely adores the chickens and they follow him everywhere. It is a hilarious sight.

But he does not care for the guineas. He does not go after them, but he does not get upset when Nash does. (It's pretty much the same as me in that regard...)

Inor, I was at a country AG fair yesterday. They had all sorts of baby chicks there, thought of sending You and Mrs Inor , some new additions to the brood.......:beerchug:

MountainGirl
08-28-2022, 12:47 PM
^^ :biglaugh:

bigwheel
08-30-2022, 10:52 PM
Have you tried tying spanking the dog with a dead Bird? If not yet hold it by the head cause they release poo poo at high velocity if they bang into a dog the other way.

T-Man 1066
08-31-2022, 07:18 AM
Never had luck with that, I think it taught our dog to hate chickens more than he already did...

bigwheel
08-31-2022, 07:57 PM
Sounds plausbile.

Inor
09-02-2022, 12:06 AM
The meat chickens finally showed up today. So far, all of them are alive and the hatchery sent an extra one.

We have lost 6 of the guineas, which is not horrible from my perspective. (Mrs Inor disagrees with me.) Losing the first 2 was not unexpected. Sometimes chicks get "pasty-butt" and if you do not get it cleaned off quick enough they die. That is what happened to the first 2. Yesterday morning, we came out to see them and 4 more were dead. That was unexpected. The rest seem healthy. I hope it is not bird flu as we put the new chickens in with them. It would suck to lose the whole bunch. But...

Prepared One
09-02-2022, 08:13 AM
The meat chickens finally showed up today. So far, all of them are alive and the hatchery sent an extra one.

We have lost 6 of the guineas, which is not horrible from my perspective. (Mrs Inor disagrees with me.) Losing the first 2 was not unexpected. Sometimes chicks get "pasty-butt" and if you do not get it cleaned off quick enough they die. That is what happened to the first 2. Yesterday morning, we came out to see them and 4 more were dead. That was unexpected. The rest seem healthy. I hope it is not bird flu as we put the new chickens in with them. It would suck to lose the whole bunch. But...

Pasty-Butt! Now that's our next pandemic. Joe and his masters missed the boat. Pasty-Butt sounds much more intimidating then MonkeyPox. I don't know what the hell it is but I sure as hell would not want it. :shocked: