PDA

View Full Version : Cauliflower?

Chiefster23
08-27-2022, 07:19 AM
I bought cauliflower starts from the local greenhouse guy this spring and got a wonderful crop early on. Then I went back and bought the last dozen starts he had and planted them after the first crop was harvested. I now have gigantic plants but none of them are forming a head to eat. Any ideas? Summer heat? I’m at a complete loss here.

BucketBack
08-27-2022, 07:35 AM
I have good leaf. no broccli or cal to eat. Cukes are blighted.

We think because of overwatering,( a few days of 2+ inches of rain, plus a heavy hose) as the clay don't drain much.

Grated 9 zucs and made bread and froze enough for 7 more loaves

Slippy
08-27-2022, 09:55 AM
Never have tried to grow cauliflower but last night I had a cauliflower pizza crust topped off with home grown and home made tomato pizza sauce, home grown red peppers, home grown jalepenos, home grown basil, and store bought olives and it was pretty dang good.

BucketBack
08-27-2022, 10:16 AM
I made some venison chili with garden peppers, celery and onions. Spicy but not bad this morning

StratBastard
08-27-2022, 09:55 PM
Never have tried to grow cauliflower but last night I had a cauliflower pizza crust topped off with home grown and home made tomato pizza sauce, home grown red peppers, home grown jalepenos, home grown basil, and store bought olives and it was pretty dang good.

As half a diabetic, I love cauliflower stuff. Cauli Pizza crust is great, and next to no net carbs too. Eat pizza and get slim! Gotta like that. Next thing to examine is the pizza sauce, which is often made with a good amount of sugar added, so make your own. I also put cauliflower in a blender, then mix it 50% with mashed potatoes... cuts the high glycemic carbs in half too... still tastes like good mashers.

Slippy
08-28-2022, 06:27 AM
As half a diabetic, I love cauliflower stuff. Cauli Pizza crust is great, and next to no net carbs too. Eat pizza and get slim! Gotta like that. Next thing to examine is the pizza sauce, which is often made with a good amount of sugar added, so make your own. I also put cauliflower in a blender, then mix it 50% with mashed potatoes... cuts the high glycemic carbs in half too... still tastes like good mashers.

Home grown (mostly) pizza sauce;

Home grown tomatoes, Peppers, and store bought Onions. Chop and place on oiled cookie sheet in oven at 350 for an hour or so. Add a drizzle of store bought Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Home Grown Basil and Oregano Blend and strain out seeds.

Pretty simple.

BucketBack
08-28-2022, 08:34 AM
I don't want to go back to finger sticking and oral meds

Mad Trapper
08-28-2022, 09:42 AM
I suspect like broccoli, if transplanted late in hot/dry weather heads will "button", small/no heads.