PDA

View Full Version : Canning chicken

Chiefster23
10-16-2022, 08:15 AM
I snagged a good deal on 20 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast yesterday. (Notice how huge breasts are today?) I decided to can 10 pounds and freeze 10 pounds. I have always added water when canning my chicken, but somewhere I read that you can pack the raw chicken chunks without adding any water. So I experimented with one jar. It works! The raw chicken made enough water to cover the meat packed inside the jar. This will be the first jar I consume to taste-test. But I figure I will no longer be adding water when canning next time.

Mad Trapper
10-16-2022, 08:26 AM
I've never done chicken but checked uga/NCHFP website and same process/process times for rabbit. They had both hot and raw pack and mentioned sometimes rack packs do not produce enough liquid. I guess you packed things well let us know how the bird turns out. I'd be tempted to add some spices to the jars for flavoring.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

Chiefster23
10-16-2022, 08:40 AM
I’ve usually added one chicken bouillon cube to each pint jar, with good results. Yesterday, I was too lazy and didn’t add any spices at all. Always experimenting!

shootbrownelk
10-16-2022, 04:28 PM
I never canned chicken, but I've canned a lot of deer and antelope and even tried canning sage hens once....ONCE!
They tasted strong like sage, I canned the "Bombers" the old huge birds too tough to eat otherwise. All I added was salt and a touch of chicken broth. They were almost edible. I'll have to try canning some chicken.

Dwight55
10-16-2022, 08:26 PM
I can both venison and beef . . . never add water . . . and often there are chunks of meat out of the broth.

Open the jar . . . the ones up on top are every bit as good as the ones on the very bottom. I eat and enjoy em all.

Would not add anything other than some spices . . . as the canning process itself makes the meat taste really good.

May God bless,
Dwight

BucketBack
10-17-2022, 08:00 AM
I'm glad we bought a couple large boxes of jars at yard sales this year, as bambi, her older brother, and Mama are hanging out in the backyard daily. I've seen Large Breasts on sale, probably since the expense to feed them aren't worth the hassle,

Is a water bath canning process good for meat, or do I need to replace my pressure canner that I traded for Ruger mags ?

pressure canner says google

hawgrider
10-17-2022, 09:02 AM
I'm glad we bought a couple large boxes of jars at yard sales this year, as bambi, her older brother, and Mama are hanging out in the backyard daily. I've seen Large Breasts on sale, probably since the expense to feed them aren't worth the hassle,

Is a water bath canning process good for meat, or do I need to replace my pressure canner that I traded for Ruger mags ?

Meat = pressure canner.

Mad Trapper
10-17-2022, 11:53 AM

Should have kept pressure caner.

You are very limited to canning without one.

I've cookers/caners from pints-22 quart, all old USA Mirromatic weight gauged.

They still sell some canned food in Mason jars. I buy that if it is <$1 /jar more expense with the food.

BucketBack
10-17-2022, 02:23 PM
just spent $250 on new pot and pressure mirro canner, ball jars etc.

Chiefster23
10-17-2022, 02:23 PM
All meat and non-acid items need to be pressure canned. I’m to the point where I mostly no longer use water bath canning. It takes much less time and propane to heat up a pressure canner than heating a big pot of water up to boiling temperature.
I use an ALL AMERICAN pressure canner. Big and expensive, but my grandkids will still be using this thing long after I’m dead and gone.

MountainGirl
10-17-2022, 04:21 PM
What a coincidence!
Snagged 5 natural pork roasts today for $3.14/lb to chunk & can up this afternoon.
I pressure can with my InstantPotMax; it can do only 4 pints at a time but that works for the two of us.
I use a steam canner for the hi-acid stuff - so much faster/easier than a water bath canner.

Here's a vid that shows canning raw chunks.
RoseRed knows her stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCgQmaQMe3k

Inor
10-17-2022, 04:48 PM
I've seen Large Breasts on sale, probably since the expense to feed them aren't worth the hassle,

I want to find large breasts on sale! Large breasts are always worth the hassle! :biglaugh:

MountainGirl
10-17-2022, 04:51 PM
I want to find large breasts on sale! Large breasts are always worth the hassle! :biglaugh:

:kickinballs: :beerchug:

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 05:44 PM
What a coincidence!
Snagged 5 natural pork roasts today for $3.14/lb to chunk & can up this afternoon.
I pressure can with my InstantPotMax; it can do only 4 pints at a time but that works for the two of us.
I use a steam canner for the hi-acid stuff - so much faster/easier than a water bath canner.

Here's a vid that shows canning raw chunks.
RoseRed knows her stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCgQmaQMe3k

Thanks so much, MG, didn't know or even consider canning with an Instant Pot, I have the original model but been looking at videos. What else I got to do, I'm retired. Everyone I've met that has canned meat says its better than fresh, can't wait to try it. Thanks again, didn't really want to spring for a dedicated canner.

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Ok, for those in the know, is it OK to defrost meat, then can it? I've got a freezer and a half full and worry about losing elec power.

I understand that if power goes out I won't be able to can meat, but canning only uses power once.

Mad Trapper
10-17-2022, 06:23 PM
Ok, for those in the know, is it OK to defrost meat, then can it? I've got a freezer and a half full and worry about losing elec power.

I understand that if power goes out I won't be able to can meat, but canning only uses power once.

I don't see why not. You'd have to fully defrost first so it would process at correct temperature full time.

Concerning power how about nat gas/propane.........or even wood? Wood would (pun intended) be a PITA, but with a "jiggler"/weighted canner just sit back and watch a movie with a couple beers and move the canner about the woodstove while listing for the jiggle. My woodstove runs all the time winter so that would be the time for that.

I've got the old Mirromatic USA canner/cookers with jigglers from little to big.

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 06:28 PM
^^^Thanks bud, guess I could have thought about it a little more, duh, yes, it needs to be thawed to can.

MountainGirl
10-17-2022, 06:29 PM
Thanks so much, MG, didn't know or even consider canning with an Instant Pot, I have the original model but been looking at videos. What else I got to do, I'm retired. Everyone I've met that has canned meat says its better than fresh, can't wait to try it. Thanks again, didn't really want to spring for a dedicated canner.

Hang on there loose skrew - the older Instant Pot models, like the original, dont get hi enough internal temps for long enough to use for low-acid (meat) pressure canning. The new ones, called Instant Pot Max do. That said - I'd still spring for a new InstantPotMax before using one of those heavy big pressure cookers - but then, with it being just me and PO, pint sized works best for everything (especially meat) and it's just incredibly easy.

And, since you mentioned frozen meat - I've put a big rock-hard frozen beef roast right in the pot, with a cup of broth, cup of water, some worchy & onions, and set the pressure cook timer for 90 minutes and man it comes out shred tender. :hungry:

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 06:32 PM
^^^Thanks, Without knowing that I may have tried it and poisoned myself. Yea, you got it, love throwing frozen meat in with W-sauce and onions. Thanks.

MountainGirl
10-17-2022, 06:33 PM
I don't see why not. You'd have to fully defrost first so it would process at correct temperature full time.

Concerning power how about nat gas/propane.........or even wood? Wood would (pun intended) be a PITA, but with a "jiggler"/weighted canner just sit back and watch a movie with a couple beers and move the canner about the woodstove while listing for the jiggle. My woodstove runs all the time winter so that would be the time for that.

I've got the old Mirromatic USA canner/cookers with jigglers from little to big.

Here ya go. Dont even need a jiggler. :bounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc0qpLtdCY

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 06:51 PM

Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of that!!!

Mad Trapper
10-17-2022, 07:50 PM

He steam cooked/canned. That will be safe ~ 1 month if refrigerated. maybe....

Get these, along with their little brothers/sisters. Only wear parts are gaskets, buy a bunch of gaskets they last years anyway, in use. 5, 10, 15 psi regulated by jiggler. Use recommended psi/process times

A 22 quart

They made little and big ones. Tell PO before Christmas you need those.....and canning stuff (those wern't canning jars/too big for meat).......and you'll both eat well

Slippy
10-17-2022, 07:52 PM
Please all...USE PRESSURE CANNER TO CAN ALL MEATS! Follow canning instructions. Please.

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 08:03 PM
I kinda was set on an instant pot for canning, but now thinking of having no power leads me a different way.

Something like this maybe? https://www.lehmans.com/product/wood-fired-water-bath-cannercooker

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 08:14 PM

Get these, along with their little brothers/sisters. Only wear parts are gaskets, buy a bunch of gaskets they last years anyway, in use. 5, 10, 15 psi regulated by jiggler. Use recommended psi/process times

A 22 quart

They made little and big ones. Tell PO before Christmas you need those.....and canning stuff (those wern't canning jars/too big for meat).......and you'll both eat well

I'm weird this way, but when I see these methods that are passed down from gen to gen, I wonder how many died before they got it right? My favorite is, this bird just shit this out, lets eat it with some bacon. Good thing it came out OK. I even got a chuclke posting this.

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 08:25 PM
just spent $250 on new pot and pressure mirro canner, ball jars etc.

Better to spend on that, than on some of this high sodium 25 yr, survival food. I've got some, but, not what you want to eat long term.

Mad Trapper
10-17-2022, 08:51 PM
I'm weird this way, but when I see these methods that are passed down from gen to gen, I wonder how many died before they got it right? My favorite is, this bird just shit this out, lets eat it with some bacon. Good thing it came out OK. I even got a chuclke posting this.

I learned canning from my mother ,God bless her, and my Grandmother, God blessed her too.

You need the right equipment, and to understand high/low acid foods.

Don't cheap out on equipment and you can give it to your grandkids, I've got some of Grandmasstuff.

You need to know where you live/can; you need proper temperature/pressure to can properly. 5 psi don't work at 7500 feet elv.

I don't want to hijack a very good thread....

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 09:01 PM
^^^ I think maybe you'll be fine, I'm think it fits. Folks worry at times about hijacking a thread, I've been on my share of forums.

Everyone doesn't read every post in every thread, repitition is a good thing. It also validates opinions when someone backs up your

point of view. Face it, most critical thinkers don't take the first opinion they get as gospel, and I think most here are critical thinkers.

Thankful I have access to all the brains on this forum.

For example, never considered the elevation thing. Thanks.

Inor
10-17-2022, 09:03 PM
I learned canning from my mother ,God bless her, and my Grandmother, God blessed her too.

You need the right equipment, and to understand high/low acid foods.

Don't cheap out on equipment and you can give it to your grandkids, I've got some of Grandmasstuff.

You need to know where you live/can; you need proper temperature/pressure to can properly. 5 psi don't work at 7500 feet elv.

I don't want to hijack a very good thread....

Ditto that! Mrs Inor has an All-American pressure canner (supposedly one of the better brands). But when we moved from MN to the mountains, we did have to buy a new pressure gauge for it. Those are also real sensitive to elevation.

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 09:17 PM
Hot damn, getting my education tonite, plan on moving from Wi. to somewhere in Az. to be closer to my only daughter in Mesa.

Mad Trapper
10-17-2022, 09:30 PM
Ditto that! Mrs Inor has an All-American pressure canner (supposedly one of the better brands). But when we moved from MN to the mountains, we did have to buy a new pressure gauge for it. Those are also real sensitive to elevation.

That is why the jiggler gauge canners are better.

1) simple set the jiggler to elevation, when it jiggles star timing...

2) no calibrations for gauges needed ,for ever

#3) mirromatics wear part is only the seal, ONE gasket seal

1skrewsloose
10-17-2022, 09:36 PM
^^^ You just spoke about replacement parts, just last nite talked to the wife about buying cooking stuff when young vs being older, when young buy the stuff that will get you by, when you're older its, I don't want to have to have to pay for this again.

Mad Trapper
10-17-2022, 10:11 PM
^^^ You just spoke about replacement parts, just last nite talked to the wife about buying cooking stuff when young vs being older, when young buy the stuff that will get you by, when you're older its, I don't want to have to have to pay for this again.

Kind of like new cars/equipment.......

I'm running a 1940 9N ford tractor , yesterday, I maintained it for 30 minutes with tools in the tractor's own tool box, and cheap supplies....

it will, brush hog, plow my driveway, and haul logs. Since last year: my time, gas, oil , grease, oil filter. Not gas ~$40 USD.

I paid $1000, 40 years ago.

I just up graded, should be running great soon, a 52 Ferguy. $500. Cost me time ~$300 inc new HD 12V battery

Inor
10-17-2022, 10:42 PM
That is why the jiggler gauge canners are better.

1) simple set the jiggler to elevation, when it jiggles star timing...

2) no calibrations for gauges needed ,for ever

#3) mirromatics wear part is only the seal, ONE gasket seal

This particular one, the gauge is only for monitoring the pressure. It does not control the pressure; that is done with a jiggler weight - old skool. Still, monitoring the pressure is something that seems pretty important. After all the time, work and money building Mrs Inor's kitchen, I'd rather it not end up looking like the Boston Marathon.

StratBastard
10-18-2022, 12:50 AM
Better to spend on that, than on some of this high sodium 25 yr, survival food. I've got some, but, not what you want to eat long term.

Yeah, most of that industry thrives on non-preppers: people who know they should do something, but can't be bothered to learn what they really need and spend anhy real time on it. Some of those freeze dried food buckets are simply horrific. I have some freeze dried canned stuff, but only single ingredients so I can make real food... onions and cauliflower for example.

Chiefster23
10-18-2022, 04:35 AM
The All-American pressure canners do not use a gasket. Metal to metal seal. NO EXTRA PARTS REQUIRED. They use a gage and jiggler, but I really don’t pay much attention to the gage. The jiggler is idiot proof! I live at around 1500 foot elevation. For years I canned at 10 psi with no bad results. But recently I increased to 15 psi. My model will do 7 quarts or 8 pints. I love this thing! It’s made from thick aluminum, very heavy duty. I’m sure it would be just fine used on top of a wood stove.

Over the years I’ve had some problems with loss of liquid from the jars during the canning process. I bought a lid torque wrench from BALL and that seems to have helped with this problem.

1skrewsloose
10-18-2022, 06:43 AM
^^^wtf, a lid torque wrench? Didn't know they existed. Interesting, but not surprised, bought a torque wrench for scopes and base screws, turns out I was putting way more torque on the screws than the factory reccommends.

MountainGirl
10-18-2022, 07:18 AM
I kinda was set on an instant pot for canning, but now thinking of having no power leads me a different way.

Something like this maybe? https://www.lehmans.com/product/wood-fired-water-bath-cannercooker

Hmmm... I'd guess the fire would be hard to control in that ^^^ and it's sold out anyway, lol. Lehmans does have some cool stuff though. :)

If & when - I'd likely do something more like this

- since all you need for water-bath canning (not meat or low acid vegies like potatoes, etc) is to keep the water boiling for a specific length of time (depending on what's in the jars) and that's easy enough with wood. No reason to not put a big ole pressure cooker on that fire either. :thumb:

BucketBack
10-18-2022, 08:02 AM

A 22 quart

Bought one yesterday from Amazon, along with a heavy bottom stock pot. I'm tired of borrowing the neighbors

Mad Trapper
10-18-2022, 08:34 AM
Hmmm... I'd guess the fire would be hard to control in that ^^^ and it's sold out anyway, lol. Lehmans does have some cool stuff though. :)

If & when - I'd likely do something more like this

- since all you need for water-bath canning (not meat or low acid vegies like potatoes, etc) is to keep the water boiling for a specific length of time (depending on what's in the jars) and that's easy enough with wood. No reason to not put a big ole pressure cooker on that fire either. :thumb:

That is more like a clam bake .

Where I have a bunch of people over, put in clams, potatoes corn and lobsters. On the side a few steaks...........with cold malt beverages near by.

Seriously, I have a few of those water bath canners. I can high acid stuff, or use them to boil down tomato batches or maple sap.

Mad Trapper
10-18-2022, 08:45 AM
The All-American pressure canners do not use a gasket. Metal to metal seal. NO EXTRA PARTS REQUIRED. They use a gage and jiggler, but I really don’t pay much attention to the gage. The jiggler is idiot proof! I live at around 1500 foot elevation. For years I canned at 10 psi with no bad results. But recently I increased to 15 psi. My model will do 7 quarts or 8 pints. I love this thing! It’s made from thick aluminum, very heavy duty. I’m sure it would be just fine used on top of a wood stove.

Over the years I’ve had some problems with loss of liquid from the jars during the canning process. I bought a lid torque wrench from BALL and that seems to have helped with this problem.

I've not owned an All-American canner. Heard nothing but good about them. It is nice not needing a seal.

My Mirromatic canners I inheireted or have paid next to nothing for. I got two brand new at a yard sale, with original paperwork/instructions old USA made not Brazil,....$10. I should buy a few more gaskets I might not need but someone will down the line.....

MountainGirl
10-18-2022, 02:10 PM
What a coincidence!
Snagged 5 natural pork roasts today for $3.14/lb to chunk & can up this afternoon....

I forgot to take 'before' pics, but here are the results :)

The plan is to put up as much as I can this way while we have power -
and to have on hand a method to continue doing so... when we dont. :cool:

hawgrider
10-18-2022, 02:47 PM

10 psi for meat is only good to 1000 ft above sea level according to the blue book food nazi's. So you did right by increasing the pressure at any elevation above 1000ft.

Liquid loss is usually caused by over tighening the rings. Remember only tighten fingertip tight.

Or you may be running to hot. Slow down the cadence of the jiggler by turning the heat down a little.

hawgrider
10-18-2022, 03:29 PM
I'll throw in another hawg tip just for fun.

Remember not all pressure cookers can be used for canning.

Pressure canners are for canning and cooking.

MountainGirl
10-18-2022, 04:33 PM
I'll throw in another hawg tip just for fun.

Remember not all pressure cookers can be used for canning.

Pressure canners are for canning and cooking.

Excellent hawg-tip !!
I've been looking at them online, and discovered something sneaky.
A few are advertised as cookers / canners
BUT - when you read the details (which I always do)
Most of the spiel is about using it as a 'cooker' - with a sentence at the end: 'Can also be used for water-bath canning.'
Deceptive. Pffft.

hawgrider
10-18-2022, 05:08 PM
Excellent hawg-tip !!
I've been looking at them online, and discovered something sneaky.
A few are advertised as cookers / canners
BUT - when you read the details (which I always do)
Most of the spiel is about using it as a 'cooker' - with a sentence at the end: 'Can also be used for water-bath canning.'
Deceptive. Pffft.

Exactly!

Botchlisim kills and can't be smelled, tasted or seen in a jar of low acid product.

SOCOM42
10-18-2022, 05:41 PM
First whenever I can anything it is by pressure canning.

I have not done anything related in a while, jar parts were no where to be found at the time I backed off.

I did accumulate a lot of spares since and they are rat holed along with more jars.

And yes My pressure cooker is a canner, an All American Canner, have regular pressure cooker for household use.

Last evening coming back from an appointment for daughter,

we passed an estate of a person who worked for me for about a year early on, one who I worked with in another place.

His wife (7 months pregnant) and daughter of about three at the time, went to a I hop restaurant for lunch one summers day.

A couple of days later they were both in the hospital, they were the proud recipients of botulism.

Wife had the baby that week and the baby had it also,

wife was in hospital for a few weeks, baby for six months, don't remember how long the toddler was in, all survived.

When all was said and done, of course a lawsuit, they netted after lawyers bite, somewhere around 3.5 mil.

ADDED;

The restaurant was closed for about 15 years, I have eaten there since.

T-Man 1066
10-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Exactly!

Botchlisim kills and can't be smelled, tasted or seen in a jar of low acid product.

Budweiser Botchulismn I have experienced... not fun. :needbeer:

Mad Trapper
10-19-2022, 12:58 PM
Exactly!

If you are starving, and not sure, boiling 15-20 minutes deactivates the botulin toxin. It is a protein/peptide and heat denatures it.

When in doubt, throw it out.

Mad Trapper
10-19-2022, 01:26 PM
One more canning tip. If you add ingredients to the recipe, even high acid stuff, you need to process as for that added ingredient.

Most tomatoes are high acid, some not so much, better to add acid or pressure can. If you are making up a sauce with onions peppers garlic mushrooms, you need to pressure can for the longest time of the ingredients added. For meat, meat process times.