PDA

View Full Version : Three secrets for staying warm when walking in zero degree wind chill

DerBiermeister
02-15-2015, 04:36 PM
1. Timing

Pick the warmest time of the day and make sure you have FULL sun. A bright sun will easily add 10-15 degrees of comfort level.

2. Layered clothing

I wear two pair of long-johns (heavy and light pair). For my head, I wear a fleece balaclava and a warm fleece-watch cap over that, pulled down to add a second layer covering my ears. I top it off with a pair of ear grips. The Balaclavas are triple protection -- head, face, and neck.
Get the warmest parka you can find. I bought this early in the fall, and it is fantastic. Very versatile as the thick fleece liner can be removed and worn separately. The outer shell is waterproof and is also excellent to break the wind.

($135 at LA Police Gear)
http://www.511tactical.com/aggressor-parka.html

Warm gloves are hard to find. Look for Thinsulate with at least 80 gram insulation. The 40 gram ones are not warm enough. They make 120 gram, but they are hard to find and expensive.

3. Jon-ë Handwarmer

Even with "warm" gloves, you'll probably find they don't work as advertised, especially your fingers. So ... carry a Jon-ë handwarmer. I used these things when I was a kid, and they still are fantastic. I carry it in one hand for about 5 mins to really warm up the glove and then switch to the other hand. Back and forth. Warm hands set the pace for being warm all over.

MI.oldguy
02-16-2015, 12:23 PM
When snowblowing like the blizzard we had saturday and sunday,stay indoors until its over!!.It aint worth it!..but,we had to go and get some smokes(yeah that evil stuff tobacco)it was no picnic!...had to,get layered up with thermal underwear,fleece lined pants,heavy snow boots with wool socks,thermal top over tee-shirt,thick sweatshirt,columbia parka,put on fleece (thick) balaclava.had to slog through 10 inch deep snow to car,knock snow off of top of door so it wouldn't fall onto seat,start car and put heat on high,knock snow off of car,go in house to let car warm up,go back out in the 45 mph gusts and -20 f. wind and get a pack of cigs.

Yesterday it was clear and -20,started up snowthrowers(his and hers)and blew it all out in two hours including parts of the roof where it was needed.at least the wind was very low.

Some preppers we were!...had everything we needed except cigs!....next time we get a blizzard warning,I will get a pack before it hits!.

hawgrider
02-16-2015, 12:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Roll your own pardner.

I get a 1 lbs bag for about 14 bucks a box of tubes for under 2 bucks and use the top o matic hand crank machine.

James m
02-16-2015, 12:57 PM
My mom got stuck in a snow drift last night, it hurt me that she didn't call me. Definitely need to look into a ski mask for myself. The ice last week was crazy. was warming up my truck, there was enough ice left on the window to keep the power window in place while the motor went down. Then the ice melted and i wired it with a coat hanger until i made it to a shop. Oh well :/

hawgrider
02-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Sorry bout the thread jack beerman.

So to stay closer to on topic my snow blow rig is basically my insulated hunting bibs, 20 year old Canadian Sorel felt lined boots, carhartt winter coat, old snowmobiling mittens and one of these things similar below -

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/mB1EOjuJwwNni2KHSTKGuwQ_zps9kxbw2c5.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/mB1EOjuJwwNni2KHSTKGuwQ_zps9kxbw2c5.jpg.html)

Inor
02-16-2015, 06:56 PM
It's called a Toque Hawg. They are the greatest hats ever made for cold weather! Good ones are not cheap, but they are worth every penny and then some.

hawgrider
02-16-2015, 07:01 PM
It's called a Toque Hawg. They are the greatest hats ever made for cold weather! Good ones are not cheap, but they are worth every penny and then some.
Haha that's why I called it one of those "things" how the heck do you pronounce that? Lol

The one I have is leather with the real deal rabbit fur. It the warmest head gear I've ever had. My Mommy bought for me years ago thanks Mom!

Inor
02-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Pronounced "touk" :biglaugh: I have had a few over the years. My current one came when I was stranded in Ottawa for the weekend due to a bad storm. It was near the end of the winter but was colder than hell. So I pick one up at Hudson's Bay Company for half off so I could at least bang around outside!

Reptilicus
02-16-2015, 08:15 PM
All good points beerman, but I will stick to my tried and true method, which is: Live somewhere that I don't have to worry about walking in zero degree wind chill!!! LOL And if it does get that cold I will just stay inside by the fireplace and drink some beer!!!

DerBiermeister
02-16-2015, 10:14 PM
mittens and one of these things similar below -

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/mB1EOjuJwwNni2KHSTKGuwQ_zps9kxbw2c5.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/mB1EOjuJwwNni2KHSTKGuwQ_zps9kxbw2c5.jpg.html)

Yeah -- very similar to a Russian Ushanka. I have this one:
Made of mouton (soft lamb's wool) and leather.

https://www.ushanka.com/media/thumbnails/marko-ramius-hat_600.jpg

https://www.ushanka.com/product/ushanka-leather/

James m
02-16-2015, 11:56 PM
I also have a Russian style hat, its black and gray.
sometimes I don't bother with the cold weather gear. When it is colder i go with synthetic long johns, boot socks and gore tex sneakers over regular jeans and a light coat. If im going to be out for an extended period of time i will keep the boot socks and synthetic long johns but add danner gore tex and thinsulate boots and a heavy cabelas parka with an under layer and an outer shell. Also a pair of shooting gloves, but i rarely stay outside that long.

MI.oldguy
02-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Pronounced "touk" :biglaugh: I have had a few over the years. My current one came when I was stranded in Ottawa for the weekend due to a bad storm. It was near the end of the winter but was colder than hell. So I pick one up at Hudson's Bay Company for half off so I could at least bang around outside!

Yoopers call them "mad bomber hats"....lol.sometimes too warm to wear when doing strenuous work outside to me.

hawgrider
02-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Yoopers call them "mad bomber hats"....lol.sometimes too warm to wear when doing strenuous work outside to me.Yes its got to be real cold or a head sweat is guaranteed. And yes sorta similar to the flying aces mad bomber hats.

Baglady
02-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Can't go wrong with L.L.Bean winter wear. I have their ankle high moccosin slippers, that are real calfskin outside and sheep wool inside. And I have one of their winter coats.
The slippers are $70. I got mine for free.
The coat cost me $2 at a yard sale!!

OSFG
02-18-2015, 08:54 PM
I love threads like this. Having lived in the south, served in the south and in the desert I really haven't had to endure cold weather. I know to dress in layers and allow sweat to wick away (after first avoiding sweating at all). But Other than a stint in Germany which sucked ass cold wise, I have had very little exposure to the temps you folks see up in Minnesota, North Dakota and Michigan...and Alaska. Thanks for the good thread.

Montana Rancher
02-19-2015, 01:01 AM
I've enjoyed the thread, as living in Montana we get a bit of cold weather every 2-3 years or so (sic)

But actually my observation is that Yoose all in the upper new England states have it a lot thougher that we do, crapo it was sunny and in the 40's here today in the middle of the rocky mountains.

But as I say that I would also remind you that Montana sucks, tell your friends.

hawgrider
02-19-2015, 05:09 AM
I've enjoyed the thread, as living in Montana we get a bit of cold weather every 2-3 years or so (sic)

But actually my observation is that Yoose all in the upper new England states have it a lot thougher that we do, crapo it was sunny and in the 40's here today in the middle of the rocky mountains.

But as I say that I would also remind you that Montana sucks, tell your friends."Moving to Montana soon to be a dental floss tycoon" Frank Zappa.:D

DerBiermeister
02-19-2015, 08:29 AM
"Montana doesn't suffer fools"

(their unofficial state motto)

James m
02-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Damnit! Stop complaining!!

Inor
02-19-2015, 02:19 PM

You need to lighten up on the espresso bud! :biglaugh:

justlooking
02-19-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd move anywhere thats warmer than here!!

hawgrider
02-19-2015, 02:38 PM

1201Can't complain nobody would listen anyway. Its colder than a warlocks ? ..... finish it James ha hahahaha.

James m
02-19-2015, 03:16 PM
What? You guys said it was colder than a witches .... And a warlock is a male witch.... Do you not get this?

hawgrider
02-19-2015, 04:38 PM
How can a warlock be a witch? "Male witch" lol

Unless its Bruce Jennifer

James m
02-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Here ill make it real simple. Her titties are cold and hes sucking on them.

justlooking
02-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Here ill make it real simple. Her titties are cold and hes sucking on them.
Wouldn't that warm them up

James m
02-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Who's to say his tongue is warm?

RWalls
02-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Freaking cold today, arctic long johns, mountain hardware windstopper vest, sweatshirt, that helped. A few times I had to throw on my Carhartt jacket.

Inor
02-19-2015, 08:58 PM
What? You guys said it was colder than a witches .... And a warlock is a male witch.... Do you not get this?

I love the story behind the phrase: "Cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey". :biglaugh:

Back in the days of the tall ships, the device the held the cannon balls near the cannons was called a monkey. They were made of brass. The cannon balls were stacked on top of the monkey to keep them from rolling around as the ship listed from the waves. When it got exceptionally cold, the cannon balls would freeze to the monkey. Hence the phrase.

I have loved that story since I was in Jr High school and got sent to the principal's office by a teacher for saying the phrase. The teacher obviously did not know the story. To make matters worse, it was a history teacher!

justlooking
02-19-2015, 09:00 PM
I love the story behind the phrase: "Cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey". :biglaugh:

Back in the days of the tall ships, the device the held the cannon balls near the cannons was called a monkey. They were made of brass. The cannon balls were stacked on top of the monkey to keep them from rolling around as the ship listed from the waves. When it got exceptionally cold, the cannon balls would freeze to the monkey. Hence the phrase.

I have loved that story since I was in Jr High school and got sent to the principal's office by a teacher for saying the phrase. The teacher obviously did not know the story. To make matters worse, it was a history teacher!
My favorite phrase

Have a word and phrase origin book. Love reading it

Arklatex
02-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Been nice and warm down here in paradise. :D yall should move to Texas.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 06:06 AM
Been nice and warm down here in paradise. :D yall should move to Texas.Meanie! :kickinballs:
-17 this morning and not talking no hyped up windchill that's actual temp. The "Mitten" is not warm.

DerBiermeister
02-20-2015, 08:48 AM
Meanie! :kickinballs:
-17 this morning and not talking no hyped up windchill that's actual temp. The "Mitten" is not warm.

We're not quite that bad - but it was -4 here north of Richmond this morning. Might just be an all-time record low, or at least since I've lived in Virginia (1972).

Once again today, I will don the gear I outlined with my OP here as I enjoy a perfect winter day for a hike. 18 degrees this afternoon with full sun and light winds. The pooches will love it. My 11 1/2 year old Golden Retriever Casey does very well and actually loves the cold. (Goldens, way back in their lineage, have the Russian Retriever [or Tracker] from the wind-beaten, snow-swept Caucasus Mountains boasting a dense inner coat that provides them with adequate warmth in the outdoors, and an outer coat that lies flat against their bodies and repels water. My black labbie Sadie of course has a much shorter coat, but she is still a young pup at 2 and has more energy than any dog I've ever seen. Had both dogs out walking yesterday in similar temps, but the wind was gusting to about 25 -- but they still had a blast.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 08:57 AM
We're not quite that bad - but it was -4 here north of Richmond this morning. Might just be an all-time record low, or at least since I've lived in Virginia (1972).

Once again today, I will don the gear I outlined with my OP here as I enjoy a perfect winter day for a hike. 18 degrees this afternoon with full sun and light winds. The pooches will love it. My 11 1/2 year old Golden Retriever Casey does very well and actually loves the cold. (Goldens, way back in their lineage, have the Russian Retriever [or Tracker] from the wind-beaten, snow-swept Caucasus Mountains boasting a dense inner coat that provides them with adequate warmth in the outdoors, and an outer coat that lies flat against their bodies and repels water. My black labbie Sadie of course has a much shorter coat, but she is still a young pup at 2 and has more energy than any dog I've ever seen. Had both dogs out walking yesterday in similar temps, but the wind was gusting to about 25 -- but they still had a blast. 18 and full sun will feel fairly decent. Enjoy your walk Beerman.

justlooking
02-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Meanie! :kickinballs:
You can say that again. And we have no heat

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 09:20 AM
You can say that again. And we have no heat Um no heat...... ah that's not good! Hopefully you have a wood stove to fire up?

justlooking
02-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Um no heat...... ah that's not good! Hopefully you have a wood stove to fire up?
Nope. Space heaters and lots of blankets.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Nope. Space heaters and lots of blankets. What happened furnace die ? InnKeeper forget to pay the bill?

justlooking
02-20-2015, 09:36 AM
What happened furnace die ? InnKeeper forget to pay the bill?
Lol.

Boiler system. The sections under the crawl space were never insulted. So we are waiting on a contractor to do that. Otherwise the pipes will just freeze again

I told innkeeper I would insulate it myself stubborn man will not let me!:mad:

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Lol.

Boiler system. The sections under the crawl space were never insulted. So we are waiting on a contractor to do that. Otherwise the pipes will just freeze again

I told innkeeper I would insulate it myself stubborn man will not let me!:mad:Ah... hot water base board system with multiple zones. Yeah frozen pipes not good!

justlooking
02-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Ah... hot water base board system with multiple zones. Yeah frozen pipes not good!
Ironically it does not have multiple zones.

But yeah the frozen pipes suck

Inor
02-20-2015, 10:55 AM
It actually stayed above 0 here last night! I think the worst is over for a few days until the next one comes.

justlooking
02-20-2015, 10:57 AM
It actually stayed above 0 here last night! I think the worst is over for a few days until the next one comes.
I hope so

Innkeeper is tired of me saying I am cold

Pauls
02-20-2015, 03:24 PM
I hope so

Innkeeper is tired of me saying I am cold

Just remind him that cuddling is a great way to beat the cold. ;)