PDA

View Full Version : Presto Pressure Canner Price Increase

BucketBack
11-08-2022, 07:06 AM
Ordered on 10 / 17 for $122.85. Scamazon just sent me an email saying , hey, are you still looking?

Presto 01784 23-Quart Induction Compatible Pressure Canner

$ 161.51

The one I ordered hasn't arrived yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PYLD742/ref=pe_27542570_681018850_em_1p_1_lm

Mad Trapper
11-08-2022, 11:18 AM
I'm stocked with old USA Mirro-matics. No gauge to FU just jigglers. 22-quart to 8-cookers. Simple is good. A few extra gaskets

SOCOM42
11-08-2022, 07:19 PM
I have an All American 25 quart pressure canner, has gage and weight, no gasket just machined surfaces.

I use it for the seldom canning I do today.

High pressure lines and valves do not always use gaskets, especially very high pressure systems.

Also have two Fagor pressure cookers for everyday use, both with gaskets.

Mad Trapper
07-23-2023, 01:26 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I'm hijacking this one for a bit......Presto canner for free

CL "free" listings had a bag full of NOS rubber lid gaskets, and glass tops, for old bail type canning jars. I don't can with those but have a collection I use to store dry goods (rice, sugar, beans, elbow pasta, ...etc). They work great for that, are airtight, and insect/rodent proof.

I went to pick them up and the nice man asked if I could use a pressure canner? Sure!

Turned out to be a Presto 21-qt model 21-B.

It is complete with inside jar lifter/rack, hot jar lifter tongs, and two inserts I've not seen before. Any ideas what they are used for?

The regulator is for the dial gauge, but found out you can still buy 5- 10- 15-psi jiggler assy for ~$15, new gasket and pop-off valve ~$15, from Presto. I'm all for jiggler type regulation as don't have to calibrate a gauge. Even with new parts I'll be <$30 invested.

Anybody used these? I'll still be using my Mirromatics , but it will be good to have another large canner if I'm doing multiple canner loads. I.e. while canning one load, be cooling one and loading another.

Edit: Did some reading. Seems the regulator the canner came with, is actually a 15psi jiggler. I'm above sea level >1000ft so need the 15 psi, all set just need new gasket, local hardware store stocks that.

Slippy
07-23-2023, 01:42 PM
Very nice!

Instead of starting a new thread I'm hijacking this one for a bit......Presto canner for free

CL "free" listings had a bag full of NOS rubber lid gaskets, and glass tops, for old bail type canning jars. I don't can with those but have a collection I use to store dry goods (rice, sugar, beans, elbow pasta, ...etc). They work great for that, are airtight, and insect/rodent proof.

I went to pick them up and the nice man asked if I could use a pressure canner? Sure!

Turned out to be a Presto 21-qt model 21-B.

It is complete with inside jar lifter/rack, hot jar lifter tongs, and two inserts I've not seen before. Any ideas what they are used for?

The regulator is for the dial gauge, but found out you can still buy 5- 10- 15-psi jiggler assy for ~$15, new gasket and pop-off valve ~$15, from Presto. I'm all for jiggler type regulation as don't have to calibrate a gauge. Even with new parts I'll be <$30 invested.

Anybody used these? I'll still be using my Mirromatics , but it will be good to have another large canner if I'm doing multiple canner loads. I.e. while canning one load, be cooling one and loading another.

Sparkyprep
07-24-2023, 03:24 PM
I prefer the All American Canner anyway. I'm sure their prices have jumped as well.

Mad Trapper
07-24-2023, 04:10 PM
I prefer the All American Canner anyway. I'm sure their prices have jumped as well.

they don't need a gasket, Can they use on a jiggler setup?

Sparkyprep
07-25-2023, 06:50 PM
they don't need a gasket, Can they use on a jiggler setup?

Yes. They come with a jiggler. They are, however, a LOT more expensive than a Presto. They are built heavier, and yes, there is no gasket. They are truly built to last several lifetimes.

MoreAmmoOK
07-25-2023, 07:12 PM
I bought an All American 25 quart 2-3 years ago. Very heavy cast, machined aluminum, and 100% made in U.S.A. Will last several lifetimes. Not cheap, I think it was about $300.00 at the time. I am very pleased with the product.

Sparkyprep
07-25-2023, 07:14 PM
I bought an All American 25 quart 2-3 years ago. Very heavy cast, machined aluminum, and 100% made in U.S.A. Will last several lifetimes. Not cheap, I think it was about $300.00 at the time. I am very pleased with the product.

I considered it an investment. Buy it once, and only once. Grandkids will be using it long after I am gone.

MoreAmmoOK
07-25-2023, 07:23 PM
Yes, a good investment. If they take reasonably good care of it the grandkids grandkids will be able to use it. I can see it lasting 100 years easy if not abused.

Mad Trapper
07-25-2023, 07:25 PM
Yes. They come with a jiggler. They are, however, a LOT more expensive than a Presto. They are built heavier, and yes, there is no gasket. They are truly built to last several lifetimes.

I have a collection of old USA made Mirro Matics I inherited/was given by my Mother . I learned canning from her and my grandmother. I've Mirros from 4-qt cookers to 22-qt canners. They use a gasket and jigglers.

I always liked the Americans but never found one on the cheap/used.

Inor
07-25-2023, 07:34 PM

That is what we have. We bought it about 10 years ago. It does the job we need it to do.

The only negative about it (beyond the purchase price), the gauge went bad a couple years ago. It turns out the gauge they put on them is specific to the elevation in your area. When we moved from MN (about 800 feet above sea level) to M.T. Acres (about 5000 feet above sea level), that did something to the gauge and broke it. So we bought a new gauge and 2 spares.

MoreAmmoOK
07-25-2023, 07:39 PM
I just use the gage for ballpark reference. The jigglers don't fail or need calibrated.

SOCOM42
07-27-2023, 07:49 PM

This is one of what I have, the other is a set of Fagor from South America.

Use the smaller ones every week at least once.

The Fagor are stainless steel.

Mad Trapper
07-27-2023, 08:33 PM
This is one of what I have, the other is a set of Fagor from South America.

Use the smaller ones every week at least once.

The Fagor are stainless steel.

@SOCOM42 what are the Fagor canners like? Never heard of them.

I know all American canners are better, but I have a dozen mirro matics , old USA ones, that all take the same jigglers and many the same gaskets. I have a stash of gaskets. If I remember, the 16-qt takes same as 22-qt. Both sizes hold same # of quarts, but you can double stack the 22-qt with pints on top of quarts.

I have a lot of 32oz jars, 25oz jars from spag sauce I saved (Atlas/Ball) . The 22-qt canner will hold 8 of those 25oz vs 7-qts. The smaller (free) jars only make a load 25oz less.

Spag companies tried to fool people again. Jar looks the same----> 32oz------25oz-----24---oz. Can still can with them

SOCOM42
07-28-2023, 11:21 AM
@SOCOM42 what are the Fagor canners like? Never heard of them.

I know all American canners are better, but I have a dozen mirro matics , old USA ones, that all take the same jigglers and many the same gaskets. I have a stash of gaskets. If I remember, the 16-qt takes same as 22-qt. Both sizes hold same # of quarts, but you can double stack the 22-qt with pints on top of quarts.

I have a lot of 32oz jars, 25oz jars from spag sauce I saved (Atlas/Ball) . The 22-qt canner will hold 8 of those 25oz vs 7-qts. The smaller (free) jars only make a load 25oz less.

Spag companies tried to fool people again. Jar looks the same----> 32oz------25oz-----24---oz. Can still can with them

The ones I have are not for canning.

I use them mostly for doing chicken for the dogs and us.

This set below is very similar to the one I have.

The set comes with two pots and one regulator cover, it is made of pressed stainless not cast aluminum.

Comes with a basket for the big pot and a glass cover for either, uses a gasket.

The pressure regulator is incorporated into the handle of the cover.

Have had this unit for about 10 years now, works well.

I have no clue about any canners by them.

I do have an AA canner, but not much into canning today.