PDA

View Full Version : US Truck & Car Market? Any Idea Where It's Going?

Slippy
12-15-2022, 06:37 AM
So, I'm perusing the Interwebs, looking for deals on Heavy Duty 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel Pick Up Trucks, I notice that there are quite a bit more available. Driving by a few dealerships, same.

Cars too.

Mrs S and I also stayed in a hotel recently, had to go to an out of town Christmas dinner, and we turned on the TV for the first time in months...CAR & TRUCK COMMERCIALS GALORE!

BUT; Prices don't seem to have come down much if any?

Whats happening with the US Automobile markets?

BucketBack
12-15-2022, 06:54 AM
Interest is up, and the stock markets down.......

I haven't driven by a new car stealership in a few weeks to check inventory

Dwight55
12-15-2022, 08:06 AM
In a little hole in the wall place called Marion, Ohio . . . there are literally hundreds if not thousands of brand new rides sitting on what used to be a major school lot.

The school got condemned . . . too many kids were getting cancer . . . buildings still standing . . . but they are building a moat around the place.

Anyway . . . there seems to be more and more of them every time I go by.

But like said before . . . still $$$ way out of reach for common folks.

May God bless,
Dwight

Piratesailor
12-15-2022, 08:55 AM
Interesting. On the way to the range I drive by a number of dealers and inventory is low. In fact it’s so low that they spread out the vehicles to make the lot look a little more crowded. I don’t see prices dropping, ever.

Inor
12-15-2022, 09:34 AM
So, I'm perusing the Interwebs, looking for deals on Heavy Duty 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel Pick Up Trucks, I notice that there are quite a bit more available. Driving by a few dealerships, same.

Cars too.

Mrs S and I also stayed in a hotel recently, had to go to an out of town Christmas dinner, and we turned on the TV for the first time in months...CAR & TRUCK COMMERCIALS GALORE!

BUT; Prices don't seem to have come down much if any?

Whats happening with the US Automobile markets?

The big dealers (especially Carvana) got caught with their pants down...

During the 'rona when the government was giving away free money to everybody for not working, a lot of people spent it on new/used cars. They bid the prices through the roof. The last data that I have done a deep dive on was current as of the end of April 2022, over 97% of car sales were above MSRP! That caused the auction houses to raise their prices (because they could). The car lots paid the inflated prices because it was the only way they could get cars to sell.

Fast forward a few months... Retail car sales have fallen off a cliff the last few months, but the dealers are still sitting on a TON of inventory that they bought when prices were sky high. So there are plenty of cars now but the dealers cannot afford to drop the prices (yet).

Summation: Car prices are going to drop like a rock as soon as the dealers can no longer make the monthly interest payments on their current inventory. If you are in the market for a used car or tuck, keep an eye on the financial pages. As soon as Carvana formally files bankruptcy (certainly by next summer), they will flood the market with inventory and that will start a huge wave of dealer bankruptcies. When that happens, there will be some great deals to be had, especially if you can pay in cold hard cash.

T-Man 1066
12-15-2022, 10:32 AM
FIL has a new F150 on order, it is over $81K with an employee discount - A-Plan. That is twice of what I bought my first house for in '96.

My next truck will be a 5th - 8th gen 3/4 or 1 ton ford, with a carburetor and manual trans.

I'm never buying a new vehicle again. Prices are bonkers.

Big Ken
12-15-2022, 10:47 AM
In a little hole in the wall place called Marion, Ohio . . . there are literally hundreds if not thousands of brand new rides sitting on what used to be a major school lot.

The school got condemned . . . too many kids were getting cancer . . . buildings still standing . . . but they are building a moat around the place.

Anyway . . . there seems to be more and more of them every time I go by.

But like said before . . . still $$$ way out of reach for common folks.

May God bless,
Dwight

Quite a few places like that around here, all waiting for chips.

Slippy
12-15-2022, 11:23 AM
I'm just sitting around today and tomorrow, doing a lot of nothing so I made some more inquiries on Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman Diesel and Ford F250 XL/XLT Diesel...

...See below...Your Mileage May Vary;

Inventory in AL, GA, FL seems to be plenty but mainly for the Loaded Higher End $80kPlus trucks. Work trucks (Ram Tradesman and Ford XL) are fewer. Prices are NOT negotiable.

TX, OH, WI, CA, CO, UT, NC, VA all models are readily available either on lots or in transit. Multiple dealerships suggested a fully refundable $100 will hold one of the trucks in transit. ZERO price negotiating room.

The funny thing is I cannot argue with Pirate Sailor's view that prices will never come down and I cannot argue with Inor's view that prices will drop off a cliff.

This is the most confounding Heavy Duty Truck Market in my lifetime....:attention:

PS I'd buy a new Diesel Truck if I can find one, but I'd go with the work truck. I'm buying for the Diesel engine, not for the mahogany wood cup holders and heated ass scratcher seats!

T-Man 1066
12-15-2022, 11:58 AM
I bought my '12 F350 diesel new back then. Same thing, just got the XLT, added skid plates, snow plow prep, 3.73 gears, heavy duty rear suspension, goose neck hitch, and sliding rear window (power). Dealer added Western 4 way snow plow, DMI ag hitch, and spray on bed liner and undercoating. Otherwise plain jane, cloth seats, low end radio, no navigation, etc. Steel 17' wheels, and manual locking wheel hubs. That one was an option that dropped about $400 off the price.

Had 46 miles when I received it, about 185K now. Other than EGR and emission issues with the diesel, DEF heater and BS, never had any issues. And I don't baby it either.

I didn't know you guys down south even had heated seats there... :bounce:

StratBastard
12-15-2022, 08:10 PM
General Motors is going into bankruptcy. They actually contacted Musk to inquire for investment/bailout $$$, and he took a pass. Biggest car maker on the planet until Toyota passed them. They're in serious trouble.

Dwight55
12-15-2022, 08:36 PM
With any kind of good luck . . . bow ties going down the road will be like Frazer and Studebaker.

May God bless,
Dwight

T-Man 1066
12-16-2022, 07:33 AM
Too big to fail in 08 - 09, obummer bailed them out, Government Motors. F'n 14 years later they doing it again.

I WANT MY TAX DOLLARS BACK IF YOU SUMBITCHES GONNA KEEP THROWING IT AWAY!!! F*K ALL POLITICIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smashfreak::whippin::mad::mad::biggun:

Prepared One
12-16-2022, 09:00 AM
My brother is in the high end car business in California and sales are down across the board. Even the rich aren't buying. Prices as of now are not negotiable but I understand used vehicles have come down a bit.

Fortunately, MG and I both own all our vehicles outright, and at our age, will probably never be in the market again. My truck is a loaded 2022 and will do everything I need to do around here and more. Her jeep is solid and will get her where she needs to go. The general is a 2023 and should last me till death. I am done with shopping vehicles.

Mad Trapper
12-16-2022, 09:52 AM
New cars and trucks suck moose dick. Almost all are Chi-Com parts

Find a 60-70-80s for less that is cherry/American and you can work on, for less than a new house.

$5000 32,000 miles, heavy 1/2, SM465 muncie w/creaper.

Mad Trapper
12-16-2022, 10:21 AM
P.S. I have

67 CJ5 Buick v6 231 Warn OD, <70,000 miles
73 C10 292 I6 muncie M2O 12 bolt posi. It's my beater. Gets > 20MPG if I don't have a wood load.
68 RS/SS Camaro, 69 LT1 engine, muncie M20, 12 bolt rear
62 Williys Wagon, original I6 huricane, < 30,000 miles

And the 85 C10.....

1940 Ford 9N, original 6V+ ground
1952 Fergy T0-20 with a TO-30 engine
1972 Ford 2000 gasser, locking diffy, live hyd

Slippy
12-16-2022, 11:50 AM
P.S. I have

67 CJ5 Buick v6 231 Warn OD, <70,000 miles
73 C10 292 I6 muncie M2O 12 bolt posi. It's my beater. Gets > 20MPG if I don't have a wood load.
68 RS/SS Camaro, 69 LT1 engine, muncie M20, 12 bolt rear
62 Williys Wagon, original I6 huricane, < 30,000 miles

And the 85 C10.....

1940 Ford 9N, original 6V+ ground
1952 Fergy T0-20 with a TO-30 engine
1972 Ford 2000 gasser, locking diffy, live hyd

Slippy Approved (Slippy also a bit jealous of a few!)

Slippy
12-16-2022, 12:08 PM
New cars and trucks suck moose dick. Almost all are Chi-Com parts

Find a 60-70-80s for less that is cherry/American and you can work on, for less than a new house.

$5000 32,000 miles, heavy 1/2, SM465 muncie w/creaper.

I won't go as far as to say that new vehicles suck moose dick, technology in some areas is freakin' space age awesome.

Ever pull a trailer heading West on I-70 thru the Eisenhower Tunnel down the Pass? You'll be thankful for modern Engine, Braking and Transmission technology!

Jester-ND
12-16-2022, 05:17 PM
wife tagged a muley with the van before halloween. been at body shop waiting to get fixed... according to KBB value 13k in repairs should total it. we are 16,500 in estimated repairs with a bent frame. insurance won't total it because they value it waaaay more than that... So we sit in repair limbo to this day because body shop keeps asking why the F they are even repairing it.

Modfan
12-18-2022, 06:31 PM
1972 jeep j4700 3/4 ton no power steering, no power brakes, manual trans, 6cyl
1962 ford fairlane 2door sports coupe 260 no power steering, no power brakes and manual trans.

T-Man 1066
12-18-2022, 09:56 PM
When I was 18 I almost bought a '61 Falcon, IIRC it had a 170 I-6, 3 on the tree. 0-60 in 3 tries...

TJC44
12-20-2022, 08:18 PM
wife tagged a muley with the van before halloween. been at body shop waiting to get fixed... according to KBB value 13k in repairs should total it. we are 16,500 in estimated repairs with a bent frame. insurance won't total it because they value it waaaay more than that... So we sit in repair limbo to this day because body shop keeps asking why the F they are even repairing it.

Did they let you keep the deer? I'd be eating VENISON!