PDA

View Full Version : 5 Things You Need to Know About Rights-Violating Police Checkpoints

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/police-no-searches.jpg

It seems that every time we turn around there is some new type of checkpoint or a new way for police to stop innocent people. The fact that you are a law-abiding citizen who hasn’t been drinking is not always enough to keep you safe from police abuse at checkpoints.

The National Motorists Association has put together a helpful list of five key points to consider when dealing with the rights-violating, freedom-diminishing police checkpoints.

The list below contains crucial knowledge that you should possess when the inevitable eventually happens.
Q. Are roadblocks legal?
- See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-rights-violating-police-checkpoints_022015#sthash.CZWLiF41.dpuf

James m
02-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Thats an easy way to wind up in prison. You remain silent, you have something to hide. You refuse search, you have something to hide. Your lawyer will visit you in jail in the morning.

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Thats an easy way to wind up in prison. You remain silent, you have something to hide. You refuse search, you have something to hide. Your lawyer will visit you in jail in the morning.Actually there are a few good vids of this method In action seemed to do the trick to me. They want you to think you have to spill your guts and bow down but when persistently firm with them they back down and let you pass.

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjtDoKDIVIw

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ku17CqdZg

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG7niM9PzeE#t=10

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw7xr9ezGxE#t=28

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 12:59 PM
How am I doing so far? Need more proof?

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Here is one for good measure. Remember the border patrol can go 100 miles now. Not only does this apply to you folks near Mexico It apply to us here in Michigan as well.
Know your rights folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTG1EHw1XZw

James m
02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Must depend on how they feel that day.

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Must depend on how they feel that day.Come on James don't have that NewYork state of mind....... lol

James m
02-18-2015, 03:59 PM
What? They should tow new york out to sea and sink it. Make an artificial reef for the fishes. That was the deep sea fishing is better off of jersey.

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 04:06 PM
What? They should tow new york out to sea and sink it. Make an artificial reef for the fishes. That was the deep sea fishing is better off of jersey.Oh your not in NewYork haha my apologies. Isn't Jersey just about as bad?

Well I dug those vids up just for you.

Edit: Ok I see now your in PA Don't know why I thought you were a New Yorker.

James m
02-18-2015, 04:31 PM
The new york and jersey types have been moving in here for a decade or more. To me jersey is a step above new york, personally. They catch people with drugs and guns at the same exit, over and over again. There was a driveby last week, out in farm country yet.

Slippy
02-18-2015, 04:35 PM
I agree Hawg, the less you talk the better.

The last couple of times I've been stopped when the officer asks the "icebreaker" question...''Where are you heading Sir?" I did not verbally respond, and simply handed over my DL and Registration...then returned hand to the steering wheel along with my other hand.

When they try and engage me in further conversation after they gave me the ticket, I respond with the question, "am I free to go now Sir?". Both times they wave me on.

I've decided NOT to give them my Conceal Carry License unless I'm in a state that requires it and so far have not been pulled over in one of those states.
Less said is better.

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 05:26 PM
I agree Hawg, the less you talk the better.

The last couple of times I've been stopped when the officer asks the "icebreaker" question...''Where are you heading Sir?" I did not verbally respond, and simply handed over my DL and Registration...then returned hand to the steering wheel along with my other hand.

When they try and engage me in further conversation after they gave me the ticket, I respond with the question, "am I free to go now Sir?". Both times they wave me on.

I've decided NOT to give them my Conceal Carry License unless I'm in a state that requires it and so far have not been pulled over in one of those states.
Less said is better.
In Mi we have to disclose if your carrying. We don't have to disclose if we are not carrying with CPL but some look at it as a courtesy to the cop. There's a older video I think called Don't talk to the police. Its a long one but pretty informative. It discusses "Terry stops" Miranda rights ect. I'm sure most of you have seen it. I'll see if I can find it just for fun. Might be a good refresher to watch I haven't seen it in years.

hawgrider
02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
That was easy here it is if by chance somebody hasn't seen it. -

http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

Sarge7402
02-18-2015, 08:28 PM
The first part of Miranda is You have the right to remain silent. But 90% of the time y'all want to tell me your story like I really will unhook the bracelets and set you free now that I know the "real Truth"

Inor
02-18-2015, 08:34 PM
The first part of Miranda is You have the right to remain silent. But 90% of the time y'all want to tell me your story like I really will unhook the bracelets and set you free now that I know the "real Truth"

Honest Sarge! I didn't do it! I was in prison at the time.

Edit: I just read this stupid criminal story and it made me think of your post Sarge:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/18/father-and-son-come-face-to-face-with-burglar-priceless-photo-shows-just-how-wrong-it-went-for-suspect/

20 arrests and 4 felonies and it is just now occurring to this Einstein that he made a mistake. LOL!

Montana Rancher
02-19-2015, 01:03 AM
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/police-no-searches.jpg

Great post, I live in a state that doesn't F$#k with its citizens, but I am taking notes.

DerBiermeister
02-19-2015, 07:58 AM
VERY TIMELY --

Fox and Friends this morning had this very debate. As soon as the video is available, I will post it.

hawgrider
02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
The first part of Miranda is You have the right to remain silent. But 90% of the time y'all want to tell me your story like I really will unhook the bracelets and set you free now that I know the "real Truth"Sarge if I am interpreting your post correctly..... maybe in a small town or in the good ole days this may have been true. Maybe even occasionally today it could have some merit. But bottom line today is anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

VERY TIMELY --

Fox and Friends this morning had this very debate. As soon as the video is available, I will post it.Can't wait to see what you found!

DerBiermeister
02-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Scroll down to "Fair DUI Flyer"

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-and-friends/

hawgrider
02-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Scroll down to "Fair DUI Flyer"

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-and-friends/Good clip! The nay sayers are going to cry how do we catch the drunks?
Easy when erratic driving is detected pull them over. Simple eh! These check points are bullchit! New York has been conducting illegal check points for a few years on motorcyclist only ???? WTF !!! Bullchit thats crap and they know it. TN was doing the same thing a couple years back down on US129 deals gap Its Bullchit! I say you use what tools that are available and remind them this is not Nazi Germany. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Pauls
02-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Hawgrider,
You are absolutely correct. There is no compelling reason to make any statement to a law enforcement officer or anyone that might be used against you. Simply say, "I am invoking my 5th amendment rights and refuse to answer any questions." Now if it is a traffic stop and they ask if they can search your vehicle you should simply say, "I do not consent to any warrentless search." Now they are required to show intelligible, tangible, reason for detaining you or an arrest before they can search you or your property. You may or may not be required to show your license, registration, and proof of insurance but provide only the information requested - do not recommend anything.

Be polite and relaxed but not cooperative.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Hawgrider,
You are absolutely correct. There is no compelling reason to make any statement to a law enforcement officer or anyone that might be used against you. Simply say, "I am invoking my 5th amendment rights and refuse to answer any questions." Now if it is a traffic stop and they ask if they can search your vehicle you should simply say, "I do not consent to any warrentless search." Now they are required to show intelligible, tangible, reason for detaining you or an arrest before they can search you or your property. You may or may not be required to show your license, registration, and proof of insurance but provide only the information requested - do not recommend anything.

Be polite and relaxed but not cooperative.Thanks Paul that means a lot to me.:)

justlooking
02-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Here is one for good measure. Remember the border patrol can go 100 miles now. Not only does this apply to you folks near Mexico It apply to us here in Michigan as well.
Know your rights folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTG1EHw1XZw
Actually it does not apply to us here in Michigan

Certain states do allow this others do not

Be very sure before you attempt

(My BIL is a cop)

TJC44
02-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Umm, JL? How much of MI is within 100 miles of the CANADIAN border? This INCLUDES water shoreline. Yep, They've Gotcha!

justlooking
02-20-2015, 07:12 PM
I meant the ability to use a card like that.
Never seen a border patrol here

TJC44
02-20-2015, 07:41 PM
No, you probably won't,...until SHTF, and DHS, who is now running Border Patrol, pulls it out of their deck of cards so they can search & seize at will.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 08:31 PM

(My BIL is a cop)
Enlighten me please.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 08:33 PM
I meant the ability to use a card like that.
Never seen a border patrol here

Border patrol is all over along the St Clair river up thru Port huron.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Umm, JL? How much of MI is within 100 miles of the CANADIAN border? This INCLUDES water shoreline. Yep, They've Gotcha! A lot! There is a good map showing the 100 miles zone its huge. Ill see if I can find the map.

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 08:56 PM
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/19-border-map-full-1_zpszabhv72f.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/19-border-map-full-1_zpszabhv72f.jpg.html)

justlooking
02-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Border patrol is all over along the St Clair river up thru Port huron.
Good thing I am not along the st clair river

hawgrider
02-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Good thing I am not along the st clair riverThey are like flys on poop. We ride the scoots on that route quite often scenery is nice.

TJC44
02-21-2015, 03:26 PM
The map I saw also covered the Atlantic & Pacific coasts.

Pauls
02-21-2015, 09:34 PM
They have no authority to search without a warrant. You must, by law, stop at the checkpoint but you can invoke your fifth amendment right to remain silent. You do not have to allow them to search you or your vehicle and if you ask to go on your way they cannot detain you for more than 20 minutes without charging you with a crime.

DerBiermeister
02-22-2015, 09:51 PM
I think all of this is very educational. I would only Caution that invoking these tactics could very well cause you to have a run-in with an LEO that doesn't like to be made to look foolish, i.e., someone that might get physical. I am sure a certain percentage (hopefully low) of LEOs have this trait. So, at a minimum, make damn sure you are polite to the extreme, and not sarcastic.

hawgrider
02-23-2015, 09:57 AM
On this link are a few vids of things going not so well ?

(link removed by RPD at hawgrider's request)

justlooking
02-23-2015, 10:27 AM
There is a video made by a pastor in arizona I beleive.

He tried the remain in your car and plead the 5th

Whimpered like a baby when they tazed him

MI.oldguy
02-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Here,The only time we see DHS or Border patrol in the UP is when the Canadian ore ships come in.otherwise they are at their HQ.presumably in Sault ste.marie.I have never seen their vehicles which are easy to spot due to their plates and what they drive at the federal building or anywhere else.

justlooking
02-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Never seen them here

hawgrider
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
There is a video made by a pastor in arizona I beleive.

He tried the remain in your car and plead the 5th
Whimpered like a baby when they tazed himJust a little tazer its not permanent.:D Besides it would make a good lawsuit.

justlooking
02-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Just a little tazer its not permanent.:D Besides it would make a good lawsuit.
Quite frankly he is a huge douche. Admitted to resisting arrest. So not sure he would win a lawsuit

He films himself driving from checkpoint to checkpoint antagonizing the officers.

hawgrider
02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Quite frankly he is a huge douche. Admitted to resisting arrest. So not sure he would win a lawsuit

He films himself driving from checkpoint to checkpoint antagonizing the officers.Huh? They are Fair game we shouldn't be stopped in my opinion. DWI Seat belt and DHS Check points are bullchit .... Papers please

The biggest a- holes were the cops for telling lies at the check points. Didn't mama teach them not to lie?

(My BIL is a cop)

Enlighten me please.

Also I curious as to why you feel Mi is different than any other state when It comes to our rights at any type of check point?
Keep in mind cops don't necessarily know the law and they often make it up on the spot.

justlooking
02-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Huh? They are Fair game we shouldn't be stopped in my opinion. DWI Seat belt and DHS Check points are bullchit .... Papers please

The biggest a- holes were the cops for telling lies at the check points. Didn't mama teach them not to lie?

Also I curious as to why you feel Mi is different than any other state when It comes to our rights at any type of check point?
Keep in mind cops don't necessarily know the law and they often make it up on the spot.
The check point was a border patrol stop. Not a random roadblock stop. And it was within the 100 mile radius

As to the mi thing I was talking about using the card. Not just checkpoints

hawgrider
02-23-2015, 02:56 PM
The check point was a border patrol stop. Not a random roadblock stop. And it was within the 100 mile radius

As to the mi thing I was talking about using the card. Not just checkpointsOk cause there was 3 different vids on the last link at least one was a DWI checkpoint.

I have a problem with the NEW DHS 100 mile border. In Mi. Its practically 2/3 of the state. Seems it was 25 miles before the formation of DHS.

justlooking
02-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Ok cause there was 3 different vids on the last link at least one was a DWI checkpoint.

I have a problem with the NEW DHS 100 mile border. In Mi. Its practically 2/3 of the state. Seems it was 25 miles before the formation of DHS.
The mileage before the dhs I have no idea of

rice paddy daddy
02-24-2015, 01:06 PM
On this link are a few vids of things going not so well ?

http://www.resistthetyranny.com/know-your-rights-when-dealing-with-police/
Be careful clicking that link.
The malware my employer uses blocked that and said it was a Trojan.

hawgrider
02-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Be careful clicking that link.
The malware my employer uses blocked that and said it was a Trojan.Im on a Big network with all the fix-ens from our IT dept and didnt have any trouble with it. Just clicked it again and still no issue with it. Must be a fluke on your end?

RWalls
02-24-2015, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYKZS-l5T1w

rice paddy daddy
02-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Im on a Big network with all the fix-ens from our IT dept and didnt have any trouble with it. Just clicked it again and still no issue with it. Must be a fluke on your end?
I work for a nationwide corporation that uses some heavy duty anti-malware and blocking software.
Corporate HQ is in the Midwest, I'm at Jacksonville, Florida.
Whatever they use did not like the link.
I'm not a computer guy, I have to trust others.

Baglady
02-24-2015, 11:09 PM
Maybe I'm nieve. I don't see what the big deal is. The border patrol whomever they may be, are trying to do a BIG job. Northern or South Western, whatever. We don't want terrorists infiltrating our borders.
If your legal, and not doing anything wrong, why wouldnt you co-operate?
It's true where I live, we don't have issues with LEO. That's because we know them, and they know all of us.
Even the State Boys, and the Natchez Park Rangers are good guys here.

hawgrider
02-25-2015, 05:20 AM
Maybe I'm nieve. I don't see what the big deal is. The border patrol whomever they may be, are trying to do a BIG job. Northern or South Western, whatever. We don't want terrorists infiltrating our borders.
If your legal, and not doing anything wrong, why wouldnt you co-operate?
It's true where I live, we don't have issues with LEO. That's because we know them, and they know all of us.
Even the State Boys, and the Natchez Park Rangers are good guys here.Just so I don't give the impression of being a cop hater I certainly am not. I bought my first house from 2 Sheriffs great people. I ran a pistol range for a few years for Cops and found them to be easy to work for and generally good people. But..... As with any bushel of apples there are some bad ones out there that make up lies and laws on the spot and abuse there power. Id like to see more Protect and serve. Id like to see less military type actions from Police. Id also like to have free travel as a US citizen with nothing to hide. The videos just barley touch on the abuse that seems to be escalating in this country as of recent. That's all I got...:D

hawgrider
02-25-2015, 05:24 AM
I work for a nationwide corporation that uses some heavy duty anti-malware and blocking software.
Corporate HQ is in the Midwest, I'm at Jacksonville, Florida.
Whatever they use did not like the link.
I'm not a computer guy, I have to trust others.Well there must be something there then. I have been visiting that site for a couple of years both on the network and at home with minimal protection. But always go with your gut feeling. I have no way of knowing whether a link is safe or not other than I always view them first before I post.
Sorry if it caused any potential harm.

rice paddy daddy
02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Well there must be something there then. I have been visiting that site for a couple of years both on the network and at home with minimal protection. But always go with your gut feeling. I have no way of knowing whether a link is safe or not other than I always view them first before I post.
Sorry if it caused any potential harm.
You have nothing to apologize for.
Years ago, someone in our company opened a link that ended up crashing the entire corporate network. Since then the big guys have taken it seriously and really ramped up our IT Dept.
Actually, I'm glad they have these protections, I would hate to be "that guy" who crashed the system.
There is also a filter for "objectionable sites" such as People Of Walmart, and another that blocks anything to do with weapons - I can no longer shop at MidwayUSA or Numrich Gun Parts. And sites like the Colt Collectors Forum are blocked.
Oh, well. This is their equipment, they can do as they wish.
At least I can still visit this site, and some others.

Yes, I am at work right now. It can be nice to be the boss. Not always, though.

hawgrider
02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
You have nothing to apologize for.
Years ago, someone in our company opened a link that ended up crashing the entire corporate network. Since then the big guys have taken it seriously and really ramped up our IT Dept.
Actually, I'm glad they have these protections, I would hate to be "that guy" who crashed the system.
There is also a filter for "objectionable sites" such as People Of Walmart, and another that blocks anything to do with weapons - I can no longer shop at MidwayUSA or Numrich Gun Parts. And sites like the Colt Collectors Forum are blocked.
Oh, well. This is their equipment, they can do as they wish.
At least I can still visit this site, and some others.
Well I don't want to be that guy who dropped a bad link on this forum either. Maybe You guys should remove it ? Id rather be safe than sorry I certainly don't want to be that guy :beerchug:

rice paddy daddy
02-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Done. I edited out the link.

Baglady
02-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Just so I don't give the impression of being a cop hater I certainly am not. I bought my first house from 2 Sheriffs great people. I ran a pistol range for a few years for Cops and found them to be easy to work for and generally good people. But..... As with any bushel of apples there are some bad ones out there that make up lies and laws on the spot and abuse there power. Id like to see more Protect and serve. Id like to see less military type actions from Police. Id also like to have free travel as a US citizen with nothing to hide. The videos just barley touch on the abuse that seems to be escalating in this country as of recent. That's all I got...:DI know your not a cop hater, Hawg. And I know from watching the news, that there are some major issues with LEO's who have big ego's and quota's to fill. We've not spent 50+ years being entirely untouched by assholes with a badge. But, I (hope) (pray) that those assholes are the minority, not the majority.

hawgrider
02-27-2015, 10:43 AM
This is the Kind of thing that is making law abiding citizens lose their trust in today's police.
Does this couple look like car thieves? This is really disgusting behavior I sure would like to see some accountability.

A string of errors on the part of troopers with the Nevada Highway Patrol resulted in a humiliating and frightening experience last year for a couple from Washington cruising down the highway in their classic 1962 Chevy Impala.

Now, the couple, Robin and Beverly Bruins, have filed suit against the troopers and the Nevada Highway Patrol.
http://news.yahoo.com/highway-patrol-error-results-hellish-roadside-experience-classic-223419826.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namOxeGceCo

DerBiermeister
02-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Jesus -- that's the kind of thing I worry about. That could be me. A pilar of society getting that kind of chicken-crap treatment. No excuse whatsoever for that treatment on senior citizens. I hope they sue the hell of them and WIN.

Reminds me of that poor fellow years ago accused of the Olympic bombing in Atlanta. What a travesty of justice that was. However, as I remember, he eventually took NBC (and maybe CNN) to the cleaners for mega-bucks.

hawgrider
02-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Jesus -- that's the kind of thing I worry about. That could be me. A pilar of society getting that kind of chicken-crap treatment. No excuse whatsoever for that treatment on senior citizens. I hope they sue the hell of them and WIN.

Reminds me of that poor fellow years ago accused of the Olympic bombing in Atlanta. What a travesty of justice that was. However, as I remember, he eventually took NBC (and maybe CNN) to the cleaners for mega-bucks.

Its so hard to believe. But for now with the www. its being brought to the forefront instead of swept under a rug. It just boils my blood this new breed of police acting this way.
Look up few police dog shooting videos of law abiding citizens private property. That's another one that frosts my ass! WTF shoot now ask questions later they are not training our police correctly as of late.

The treatment of seniors like that should be punishable by ....... Arrrrrrrg! I cant even say what I would do with them. But it wouldn't be very nice!

Arklatex
02-27-2015, 12:24 PM
The dog shooting really piss me off! I've heard multiple stories about constables killing the family dog just so they could serve a court summons. WTF! Most of the dogs weren't even considered dangerous breeds. I hope hawg is right about the net helping to snuff out the bad cops. Everybody has a camera nowadays. Body cams wouldn't hurt either.