PDA

View Full Version : 517HP 1973 Super Beatle

MoreAmmoOK
01-12-2023, 08:36 PM
Don't think I'd wanna be in it to see how fast it'll go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzB1Vc1h-Tc

1skrewsloose
01-12-2023, 09:20 PM
Was going to a Pink Floyd concert in Milwaukee years ago with a bud in a super beatle(1973?) got caught in the passing lane in a no passing construction zone, holy crap, that thing had some get up and go , we made it back to safety, not your grandma's VW. Great show, the full moon actually came out when they played "dark side of the moon"

I hope to hell I never loose my memories of the great times I had when I was young and feared nothing!!

1skrewsloose
01-12-2023, 09:38 PM
I used to love to drive down main street and pull the E-brake, bone stock VW, screech the tires at cross walks and see the people scatter.

I got my cheap thrills!

Sasquatch
01-12-2023, 09:47 PM
My first car was a 1971 VW square back tricked out with a 1776cc engine.

hawgrider
01-13-2023, 07:06 AM
Herbie the love bug.

shootbrownelk
01-13-2023, 06:10 PM
I watched a few youtube videos of V-8 powered VW bugs. Too much HP in too short a wheelbase.

Prepared One
01-14-2023, 08:53 AM
My brother had an old beat up VW beatle. The thing had no floor boards, all rusted out. you looked down all you saw was road. I would put my feet on the dash as best I could and he kept his on the peddles. That thing didn't belong on the road but he drove it everywhere and it never left him stranded.

Piratesailor
01-14-2023, 10:46 AM
My sisters bf had a beatle. Not sure what year. He bored out the engine and tweaked it quite a bit. Damn thing was fast.

shootbrownelk
01-14-2023, 07:39 PM
What did those little VW bugs get for fuel mileage? Did anyone here ever own one and check the MPG?

Mad Trapper
01-14-2023, 08:42 PM
They were great fun in the winter time during a snowstorm and no windshield defroster.

Mad Trapper
01-14-2023, 08:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2kSu6O8cU

hawgrider
01-14-2023, 08:48 PM
They were great fun in the winter time during a snowstorm and no windshield defroster.
Despite the lack of heat on the glass they had pretty good traction on the snow.

Mad Trapper
01-14-2023, 08:53 PM
Despite the lack of heat on the glass they had pretty good traction on the snow.

Before we got ahold of a rusty old CJ2, they were our favorite woodroad/offroad cars as kids (pre-drivers licenses)

Slippy
01-15-2023, 05:44 AM
Dad brought a VW Type 1 back from Germany in the mid 1950's courtesy of the US Army!

I think he sold it by the time I was born.

Coming home from The Red Barn bar somewhere near Moss Point, MS in the late 70's, me and D.L.S flipped his brother's VW and I broke my collarbone.

Yoda would have commented; "No Pain, Slippy Was Feeling"...

Box of frogs
01-15-2023, 06:03 AM
What did those little VW bugs get for fuel mileage? Did anyone here ever own one and check the MPG?

My first car was a 1965 VW bug. 40 horsepower motor.
Got gas mileage in the 30’s but I had replaced the stock wheels and tires with chrome reverse rims and G 60 tires.

Defroster sucked and no heat in general !
Those plastic heater boxes were supposed to take engine heat a route it into the vents inside as long as the car was moving and there was air flow over the fan shroud. Ha ha. Worked in theory only.
I used to keep a blanket in the bug in winter.
BoF

Mad Trapper
01-15-2023, 08:22 AM
My first car was a 1965 VW bug. 40 horsepower motor.
Got gas mileage in the 30’s but I had replaced the stock wheels and tires with chrome reverse rims and G 60 tires.

Defroster sucked and no heat in general !
Those plastic heater boxes were supposed to take engine heat a route it into the vents inside as long as the car was moving and there was air flow over the fan shroud. Ha ha. Worked in theory only.
I used to keep a blanket in the bug in winter.
BoF

The heater channels ran along/were part of, the rocker panels and if the rockers started to rot out that's where the heat went out. I fixed those on an ex-girlfriends bug, ran 2" copper plumbing tubing inside the rockers.