PDA

View Full Version : Cold & Ice In Texas, Nuke Sub Base De-activated, Grid Going Down Warnings...

BucketBack
02-01-2023, 08:01 AM
It sure got cold and snowed that last few days.

I opened up the mud room door, to allow the blue flame heater to heat the whole home in case the power goes out.

Trees Inc just cut down a bunch of trees for Consumers Power :thinking:

I opened up the cabinet doors under the sinks to allow some heat.

Turned the thermostat back down to 62.

Zero degree temps are usual for Michigan, but you folks in Texas weren't ready the last time the jet stream went South.

Seattle nuke base de-actived due to seismic concerns,and the Carriers are gone, looking for the big one for George Strait to get his oceanfront property.

Or they be just going out the sea like before Pearl...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/weather/2023/01/31/winter-weather-forecast-tuesday-ice-storm/11151368002/

MountainGirl
02-01-2023, 08:14 AM
We got lucky here; down in the 40s, rain.
The event bottomed out maybe 30 miles north of us.
I bet bigwheel got bit. DFW is a mess.

BucketBack
02-01-2023, 08:26 AM
That's good to hear.

Dwight55
02-01-2023, 08:29 AM
Well . . . the other way to look at it is that for decades some Texans have thought they were kinda on the outside lookin in . . . as far as being a true blue piece of the USA.

With a dose of said weather . . . they now understand it all . . . and . . . well . . . maybe they feel more at home now . . . lol.

NOW . . . all we need to make it really even is for the good Lord to dump a 3 inch snow storm from Tijuana to San Fran . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Prepared One
02-01-2023, 09:19 AM
As MG said we are fine here. Cold and rainy but that's not unusual for Texas. North and West has the ice and snow but to my knowledge there has not been the massive power outages like a few years ago. We will make do.

MountainGirl
02-01-2023, 09:20 AM
Well . . . the other way to look at it is that for decades some Texans have thought they were kinda on the outside lookin in . . . as far as being a true blue piece of the USA.

With a dose of said weather . . . they now understand it all . . . and . . . well . . . maybe they feel more at home now . . . lol.

May God bless,
Dwight

That may be, but I've yet to meet any Texans who wanted to consider themselves anything other than Texans - moreso now with the constantly attempted Fed overreach down here.

The counties north and east of us gets this weather from time to time; looks like we need to be ready for it down here too, which we are.

bigwheel
02-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Solid Ice on the roads. The latest round of rain seems to be thawing it enough to melt some and glaze it over for in the morning. No school going on 3 days and us poor old crossing guards dont get paid unless we get out there and work. It just aint fair. The roads are too bad to go to the geriatric pool hall. Missed two buck Tuesday yesterday.

bigwheel
02-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Had to do a geographical search for Ten Oaks. Looks like it may be close to Jouston. I got a bunch of old pals from that area. Do you ever hanng out at Channelview? Hear a lot of wild..but mostly true stories about that area lol. How about the Fifth Ward? Thanks.

BucketBack
02-01-2023, 02:53 PM
Heck, I have ten oaks as you enter the drive, go another 300 ' you'll pass 10X as many.

Prepared One
02-01-2023, 02:55 PM
Had to do a geographical search for Ten Oaks. Looks like it may be close to Jouston. I got a bunch of old pals from that area. Do you ever hanng out at Channelview? Hear a lot of wild..but mostly true stories about that area lol. How about the Fifth Ward? Thanks.

I used to live in Houston but now MG and I have our own little 6 acres deep in the woods here in east Texas. Ten Oaks is the name of our place.

BucketBack
02-01-2023, 02:59 PM
I used to live in Houston but now MG and I have our own little 6 acres deep in the woods here in east Texas. Ten Oaks is the name of our place.

A friend that was only at my place in 72, along with another member of our Little League Team, named our home as " Fish Bowl's Hole "

Neither Brian or Mike are friends on Fakebook

Slippy
02-01-2023, 05:42 PM
How'd the Trike work on the icy roads?:shocked:

Solid Ice on the roads. The latest round of rain seems to be thawing it enough to melt some and glaze it over for in the morning. No school going on 3 days and us poor old crossing guards dont get paid unless we get out there and work. It just aint fair. The roads are too bad to go to the geriatric pool hall. Missed two buck Tuesday yesterday.

bigwheel
02-02-2023, 01:09 PM
It dont get used cept in nice weather..lol.

SOCOM42
02-04-2023, 08:23 AM
Well, yesterday evening it was 0, yes zero degrees outside with wind chill @ -40 degrees.

Right now it is 1 degree out, not going anywhere either in that cold, no need to.

The power went out around eight last night, dragged my ass out to fire up the genset,

after it went out a second time, waited about 10 minutes before going out.

A pipe froze in that time, put a heat gun to the area and freed it up.

The pipe runs in the back of a cabinet right next to an outside wall.

Have had the problem before a couple of times in the past.

Slippy
02-04-2023, 08:32 AM
Good to see you SOCOM42!

Yesterday the sun finally came out. Been raining for the past few weeks.

Walked out to the barn to feed the cats since Mrs Slippy is in GA visiting Grandaughter1. Cats were ambivalent at best. The chicken yard was a sloppy mess so I peeked in and saw they had plenty of food and water so I went back to the house.

It was 36 degrees this am.

My goal today is to shoot 50 rounds. Trying to decide if it will be rifles, pistols or revolvers...Decisions, Decisions...

BucketBack
02-04-2023, 10:15 AM
-45 wind chill here with the sun shining

Box of frogs
02-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Well, yesterday evening it was 0, yes zero degrees outside with wind chill @ -40 degrees.

Right now it is 1 degree out, not going anywhere either in that cold, no need to.

The power went out around eight last night, dragged my ass out to fire up the genset,

after it went out a second time, waited about 10 minutes before going out.

A pipe froze in that time, put a heat gun to the area and freed it up.

The pipe runs in the back of a cabinet right next to an outside wall.

Have had the problem before a couple of times in the past.

Hey Brother Socom. Glad to see you posting. We’ uns was getting a little worried about you and SBE not posting for a bit.
Hope your weather breaks soon.
BoF