PDA

View Full Version : Raising some Phesant chicks

Montana Rancher
02-21-2015, 10:26 PM
I've been talking with the MT state biologist and as far as I can tell if I don't care about compensation I can hatch and release Ringtail Pheasants in my area and not violate any state laws.

I have some really nice habitat for them and am looking at putting in some plants behind my pond to support them in the winter. I am guessing I could easily release 60-90 of them and after 6-7 weeks let them go and will have a decent population that will thrive and expand.

Sort of like putting out a feed plot for deer but as I was outside last night and heard the wolves howling 2-300 yards above my house I doubt that would yield any decent returns.

I have a creek bed and have it fenced off, with a little woven wire it would be fox-coyote proof, (tough to keep a skunk out), but what the heck, maybe if I do it for 2-3 years they will establish a population?

Inor
02-21-2015, 11:14 PM
We have some friends in NE Iowa that have about 300 acres of prime farmland. They are hardcore pheasant hunters and release about 400 birds per year. It has taken them about 5 years, but they have restored the population from almost nothing to a level where they are almost self-sustaining.

I STRONGLY encourage you to go ahead with it. But I think you will need to release more than 90 birds to start a decent population. Raising them to release age is a buttload of work, but it is well worth it in the end. They require heat lamps and you do have to put a cone around each bird's neck as they grow into adolescence because the males fight like crazy. But there is absolutely no meal on earth better than fresh grilled pheasant.

I am afraid with only 90 of them, all you will do is attract more wolves and coyotes.

hawgrider
02-22-2015, 11:55 AM
We have some friends in NE Iowa that have about 300 acres of prime farmland. They are hardcore pheasant hunters and release about 400 birds per year. It has taken them about 5 years, but they have restored the population from almost nothing to a level where they are almost self-sustaining.

I STRONGLY encourage you to go ahead with it. But I think you will need to release more than 90 birds to start a decent population. Raising them to release age is a buttload of work, but it is well worth it in the end. They require heat lamps and you do have to put a cone around each bird's neck as they grow into adolescence because the males fight like crazy. But there is absolutely no meal on earth better than fresh grilled pheasant.

I am afraid with only 90 of them, all you will do is attract more wolves and coyotes.The last time I ringneck hunted was in 1972 that was about the last year for native pheasants in Mi. 1974 MDNR started a "Put and take pheasant season". They would take pen raised birds and release them at key locations the morning of the opener. It was a bad joke the birds wouldn't fly. Guys would chuck rocks at them and such to try to get them airborne.

Inor
02-22-2015, 01:22 PM
The last time I ringneck hunted was in 1972 that was about the last year for native pheasants in Mi. 1974 MDNR started a "Put and take pheasant season". They would take pen raised birds and release them at key locations the morning of the opener. It was a bad joke the birds wouldn't fly. Guys would chuck rocks at them and such to try to get them airborne.

They have been coming back in southern MN and northern IA the last few years. I am not sure why as I have not heard of any extreme efforts by the DNR. But they do seem to be making a comeback.

When Mrs Inor was driving me to airport today there was a huge flock(?) of wild turkeys just outside the MSP airport. There are often a few of them there. But today there must have been at least 30 of them!

hawgrider
02-22-2015, 01:25 PM
They have been coming back in southern MN and northern IA the last few years. I am not sure why as I have not heard of any extreme efforts by the DNR. But they do seem to be making a comeback.

When Mrs Inor was driving me to airport today there was a huge flock(?) or wild turkeys just outside the MSP airport. These are often a few of them there. But today there must have been at least 30 of them!There is also a small very slight come back of birds in mid and southern mi. There have been some sightings in farm country. Not to many years ago there was one on my wood pile I about stumbled as a I did second look!

Turkeys.... wow big comeback in this state.

Deebo
02-22-2015, 03:53 PM
If you wanna do it, go for it.
I have never eaten pheasent, I have tried pickled quail eggs, but don't remember eating grandpa's quail.

Infidel
02-22-2015, 09:21 PM
When I was a kid my father and I belonged to a local pheasant club. We'd pay an annual membership fee and they would put out a number of birds Friday evenings then you could take 2 per day each Sat & Sun. During the week you could shoot as many as you could find. You never saw many birds much after Monday though as they would be taken by just about every critter you can think of. You could see the hawks sitting on the edges of fields waiting for us to leave most days. The local sportsman's association used to buy thousand of chicks every year and have them raised by inmates at one of the prisons then they would release them in certain areas on state land and yet we still don't have a healthy population of pheasant. Maybe there isn't enough habitat here for them but I think it's more likely that there's just too many critters that prey on pheasant.

-Infidel

Inor
02-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Turkeys.... wow big comeback in this state.

Honestly, I had never seen a turkey in the wild until about 15 years ago. They just did not came as far north as Minneapolis/St Paul. But they sure have now! I have actually seen them in the northern part of the state the last few years too.

But I am really glad the pheasants are making a comeback. They are the best!

Montana Rancher
02-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Honestly, I had never seen a turkey in the wild until about 15 years ago. They just did not came as far north as Minneapolis/St Paul. But they sure have now! I have actually seen them in the northern part of the state the last few years too.

But I am really glad the pheasants are making a comeback. They are the best!

I've had wild turkeys on and around my property for years which makes me think maybe its time for pheasants, the down side is I had WOLVES howling 2-300 yards behind my property 3 nights ago. Although I don't believe they trouble the birds much and go for bigger game, that could be a problem.

Montana Rancher
03-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Just an update, I talked the state employee about releasing pheasants and if I don't want any money from the state to sponsor the program I can do whatever I like as long as they are Chinese Ringnecks.

I love Montana for not being hard to work with.

I'll place my order for them as soon as my chick brooder is empty.

Inor
03-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Just an update, I talked the state employee about releasing pheasants and if I don't want any money from the state to sponsor the program I can do whatever I like as long as they are Chinese Ringnecks.

I love Montana for not being hard to work with.

I'll place my order for them as soon as my chick brooder is empty.

Great post. I look forward to hearing about your adventures as you move forward.

Montana Rancher
03-19-2015, 01:21 AM
Great post. I look forward to hearing about your adventures as you move forward.

Thanks Inor, you and the Mrs and good people.