PDA

View Full Version : Finally...

Inor
03-13-2023, 08:42 PM
I finally got my Feed Shack done today! This one seemed like it took forever. Part of that was my work schedule, part was the weather did not cooperate and part was me just being plain lazy. But it's done now!

I just need to screw some hardware cloth around the bottom and then backfill about 6 inches of dirt.

Now I can start saving 30% on steer feed and chicken/turkey feed buying it by the ton. Plus paying for it with crypto has saved me about 15% lately as well.

hawgrider
03-13-2023, 09:04 PM
Color matches that desert dirt real good!

Slippy
03-13-2023, 11:53 PM
Outstanding!

I finally got my Feed Shack done today! This one seemed like it took forever. Part of that was my work schedule, part was the weather did not cooperate and part was me just being plain lazy. But it's done now!

I just need to screw some hardware cloth around the bottom and then backfill about 6 inches of dirt.

Now I can start saving 30% on steer feed and chicken/turkey feed buying it by the ton. Plus paying for it with crypto has saved me about 15% lately as well.

MountainGirl
03-14-2023, 09:14 AM

Nice work!

Is there venting at all?
Desert summer heat could cook your feed, lol.
Likely wont spoil though...with the low humidity you have (and that I'm envious of).

Dwight55
03-14-2023, 01:28 PM
Hmmm . . . here in Ohio . . . when you talk about feed being bought by the ton . . . many of them bring auger trucks . . . dump it straight into your building or bin.

That's what I thought you were building . . . this looks like the baggie building . . . ugh . . . backbreaking work.

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-14-2023, 01:38 PM
Hmmm . . . here in Ohio . . . when you talk about feed being bought by the ton . . . many of them bring auger trucks . . . dump it straight into your building or bin.

That's what I thought you were building . . . this looks like the baggie building . . . ugh . . . backbreaking work.

May God bless,
Dwight

Lol Dwight55 you're so brutal :woodchipper:

Big Ken
03-14-2023, 03:02 PM
You could make some money selling tiny houses, that's all the craze lately, with a couple of changes I could see that sitting in the woods as a cabin.

MountainGirl
03-14-2023, 04:37 PM
You could make some money selling tiny houses, that's all the craze lately, with a couple of changes I could see that sitting in the woods as a cabin.

So can I ~

Dwight55
03-14-2023, 08:36 PM
Lol Dwight55 you're so brutal :woodchipper:

You probably didn't handle as many of those bags as I have . . .

At 78 . . . I could easily live out my life without ever laying eyes on another burlap tied at the top with baling twine . . . and full of feed.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
03-14-2023, 08:59 PM

May God bless,
Dwight

Yes, it is a baggie building. I do not mind the 50# bags of steer feed. The feed is covered in molasses so they hold their shape well and are easy to handle. The 50# bags of chicken feed are another story...

But honestly, compared to a lot of the tasks I have had to learn since moving out here, tossing around bags of feed does not bother me.

MG: There are some small vents in the soffits. But they are probably not necessary for this application. I did not even put any Tyvek behind the siding, although I did put 1/2" hardware cloth between the sheathing and the siding and between the floor joists and the decking for mice.

The other thing I found at Homely Despot was some stuff to put around the doors to keep rodents out. You cannot really see it in the photos, but if you look closely, the bottoms of the doors stick out some. I do not know what it is called but the best I can describe it: It looks like nigger hair made of stainless steel that I just stapled to the door sills. I don't know if it will work, but it cannot hurt and it would be easy enough to take out if it does not work.

hawgrider
03-14-2023, 09:30 PM
You probably didn't handle as many of those bags as I have . . .

At 78 . . . I could easily live out my life without ever laying eyes on another burlap tied at the top with baling twine . . . and full of feed.

May God bless,
Dwight

Yeah well I'm not that far behind you at 62 :biglaugh:

StratBastard
03-14-2023, 10:29 PM

Absolutely he could. I was tempted to ask him what kind of rent he would charge me on that beauty.

bigwheel
03-14-2023, 11:05 PM
Good job!