PDA

View Full Version : Who has a freeze dryer?

Broncosfan
03-18-2023, 01:36 PM
I know someone on here has a freeze dryer. But for the life of me I cannot find the PM's of who I discussed freeze drying with. Anyone remember? Thanks

MountainGirl
03-18-2023, 01:40 PM
Dehydrator only here - and it's about to run 24/7.

RubberDuck
03-18-2023, 02:26 PM
When Tax money comes we are buying a freeze dryer very interested in the end product and the cool snacks it makes that could potentially help pay for some of it

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

hawgrider
03-18-2023, 02:54 PM
I know someone on here has a freeze dryer. But for the life of me I cannot find the PM's of who I discussed freeze drying with. Anyone remember? Thanks

Jester has the freeze dryer

MountainGirl
03-18-2023, 04:24 PM
Jester has the freeze dryer

Jester lives in a freeze dryer. :)

Broncosfan
03-18-2023, 05:52 PM
When Tax money comes we are buying a freeze dryer very interested in the end product and the cool snacks it makes that could potentially help pay for some of it

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a medium or a large.

Inor
03-18-2023, 06:22 PM
I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a medium or a large.

I do not know anything about freeze dryers, but do I know when left with the choice between medium or large, I ALWAYS go with large. Go big or go home!

Broncosfan
03-18-2023, 08:15 PM
I do not know anything about freeze dryers, but do I know when left with the choice between medium or large, I ALWAYS go with large. Go big or go home!

I'm still thinking. Its a $700 difference in price. Since we can and dehydrate it won't be our only way to preserve what we grow. I really like fruit especially strawberries that are freeze dried.

Prepared One
03-19-2023, 10:38 AM
I was looking at a couple of freeze dryers up at the local hardware store a couple of days ago. I know very little about freeze drying but 3800 bucks is a large pill. I have no idea what the ROI would be or what the maintenance would be, let alone if it would be worth our time.

MountainGirl
03-19-2023, 11:36 AM
I was looking at a couple of freeze dryers up at the local hardware store a couple of days ago. I know very little about freeze drying but 3800 bucks is a large pill. I have no idea what the ROI would be or what the maintenance would be, let alone if it would be worth our time.

For us, they're not warranted. :)

Jester-ND
03-19-2023, 03:44 PM

Jester-ND
03-19-2023, 03:51 PM
I would suggest the medium... The trick with freeze dryers is to have a stack of food ready to go after each cycle, eventually (if you don't have unlimited time and funds) you end up with a freezer not running 24/7. it is at this point you realize you didn't need the Large one... Unless of course you need to crank out as much frozen product as possible within the next few months. make sure you have various sized mylar bags.

Jester-ND
03-19-2023, 03:52 PM
For us, they're not warranted. :)

you would be surprised....

Broncosfan
03-19-2023, 04:00 PM

Can you recommend a good book on Freeze drying?

Broncosfan
03-19-2023, 04:06 PM
I would suggest the medium... The trick with freeze dryers is to have a stack of food ready to go after each cycle, eventually (if you don't have unlimited time and funds) you end up with a freezer not running 24/7. it is at this point you realize you didn't need the Large one... Unless of course you need to crank out as much frozen product as possible within the next few months. make sure you have various sized mylar bags.

Thanks for info. I think the medium makes the most sense for us also. It would rum a lot from late May (Strawberry season) until late October apple season) Other times would be use for in season sales.

Jester-ND
03-19-2023, 04:15 PM
Can you recommend a good book on Freeze drying?

The only book we picked up was a rehydrating calculation made easy. The pump came with all you really need to know and it's quite simple. get some extra oil and a filter kit, reuse what ya got.

Jester-ND
03-19-2023, 04:17 PM
Thanks for info. I think the medium makes the most sense for us also. It would rum a lot from late May (Strawberry season) until late October apple season) Other times would be use for in season sales.

I have been drying moose burger and pheasants from the freezer, Wife likes skittles and starburst ( I got some resealable bags and only seal a few, leaving the rest for her to snack on at work without wasting the O2 absorbers)

Broncosfan
03-19-2023, 05:36 PM
I have been drying moose burger and pheasants from the freezer, Wife likes skittles and starburst ( I got some resealable bags and only seal a few, leaving the rest for her to snack on at work without wasting the O2 absorbers)

Do you cook meats before you freeze dry them?

Jester-ND
03-20-2023, 08:25 AM
Do you cook meats before you freeze dry them?

yup!

Jester-ND
03-20-2023, 08:26 AM
a popular item to dry is rotisserie chickens from walmart.. cooked and ready to slice up.. $7

Broncosfan
03-20-2023, 08:52 AM
yup!

Jester-ND thanks I'm just trying to get as much pre-learning done as I can before I make the purchase.