PDA

View Full Version : 2023?

Mad Trapper
03-25-2023, 05:10 PM
I'm late. Inventorying seeds.

Have a bunch of overwinter blueberries in pots for transplant.

Not started maters or peps yet, along with early frost tolerant stuff ( broc lettuce, cab,...)

You down south eatin yet?

Box of frogs
03-25-2023, 05:29 PM
We are waiting another couple weeks just to make sure we don’t get a late freeze.
We have blueberries bushes covered in flowers and tiny berries. The two nights below freezing last week didn’t kill them. Last year a late frost wiped out all three bushes.

My tractor is still at the dealership. Been there a week getting some modifications done on the loader arms so I can run attachments up front. When I get it back we will get busy tilling and planting.
BoF

Mad Trapper
03-25-2023, 05:33 PM
We are waiting another couple weeks just to make sure we don’t get a late freeze.
We have blueberries bushes covered in flowers and tiny berries. The two nights below freezing last week didn’t kill them. Last year a late frost wiped out all three bushes.

My tractor is still at the dealership. Been there a week getting some modifications done on the loader arms so I can run attachments up front. When I get it back we will get busy tilling and planting.
BoF

Where abouts in the woods you at? We got 2-3' snow last week. Zones 5-4a

Good luck on garden and tractor!

Box of frogs
03-25-2023, 05:39 PM
Where abouts in the woods you at? We got 2-3' snow last week. Zones 5-4a

Good luck on garden and tractor!

Zone 8a. West side of Georgia.
April is a tricky month here. Sometimes your good sometimes you can get a snap freeze in the first couple of weeks

Chiefster23
03-25-2023, 06:18 PM
I’ve already started seeds for sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes. All germinated already. I’m off to a good start here in PA.

Mad Trapper
03-25-2023, 06:37 PM
I’ve already started seeds for sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes. All germinated already. I’m off to a good start here in PA.

I wish all those were germinated now. GOOD JOB!! You in zone 5 ?

Inor
03-25-2023, 09:46 PM
The almonds have already flowered and lost their flowers and are growing like crazy. The cherries just got their leaves this week, no flowers yet. The apples are starting to leaf. Apricots, pears and pomegranates are just about to start budding. I will likely start turning the gardens this week but probably will not plant for a few weeks yet. When the snows melt in the mountains, we always get a few nights of cold winds in April.

Chiefster23
03-26-2023, 03:39 AM
I wish all those were germinated now. GOOD JOB!! You in zone 5 ?

Officially I’m in zone 6, but due to altitude I’m really in zone 5.

Everything else will either be direct seeded into the ground or I will be buying a few starts from the local greenhouse. I used to start many many more plants from seeds, but not so much any more. I was bound and determined to reduce the size and output from my garden this year (I’m turning 72), but due to the crazy situation in this country I will not be reducing much of anything. But buying some starter plants does cut down on the work.

I just finished repairing some winter damage to my raised beds, and I should be topping up the beds with mushroom mulch this coming week. Deer are a big problem here so everything has to be fenced or it becomes dinner for the white tails. I’m getting an additional roll of plastic deer fence for just-in-case I need to expand the garden due to a food collapse from the idiots in charge. I’m pre-purchasing everything I might need to grow additional food. It’s a damned shame that folks in their 70s have to be concerned about growing food in what used to be the richest country in the world. I’m too damned crippled up with arthritis to be digging new garden beds but I guess I will if necessary.

BucketBack
03-26-2023, 06:59 AM
Should have started seeds last week. Monday looks like the day since we are still doing entertaining a young one

MountainGirl
03-26-2023, 07:14 AM
Officially I’m in zone 6, but due to altitude I’m really in zone 5.

Everything else will either be direct seeded into the ground or I will be buying a few starts from the local greenhouse. I used to start many many more plants from seeds, but not so much any more. I was bound and determined to reduce the size and output from my garden this year (I’m turning 72), but due to the crazy situation in this country I will not be reducing much of anything. But buying some starter plants does cut down on the work.

I just finished repairing some winter damage to my raised beds, and I should be topping up the beds with mushroom mulch this coming week. Deer are a big problem here so everything has to be fenced or it becomes dinner for the white tails. I’m getting an additional roll of plastic deer fence for just-in-case I need to expand the garden due to a food collapse from the idiots in charge. I’m pre-purchasing everything I might need to grow additional food. It’s a damned shame that folks in their 70s have to be concerned about growing food in what used to be the richest country in the world. I’m too damned crippled up with arthritis to be digging new garden beds but I guess I will if necessary.

We're picking up a few things too... that we might need later.

A month (?) back we had a cold event that we thought killed our only fruit (persimmon) tree... but then it warmed up into the 80s for a week and it put on leaves - then a week ago two more 30 degree nights bit all the leaves. Now... it's not looking so good. The 6 blackberry bushes I planted the day after that 30 degree night are doing okay...only getting down into the 50s overnight now - but it's still March so who knows.

We're in 9a - but I wont get anything less hardy than for 7b. Not interested in 'tropicals'. More interested in food.

Slippy
03-26-2023, 07:40 AM
I'm late. Inventorying seeds.

Have a bunch of overwinter blueberries in pots for transplant.

Not started maters or peps yet, along with early frost tolerant stuff ( broc lettuce, cab,...)

You down south eatin yet?

8a

Peas from seeds are popping up from the soil. Mrs S got some herbs going but we're still preparing our raised beds; adding compost and a bit of garden soil to top them off. More seeds and seedling planting will begin in a few weeks.

Chiefster23
03-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Over the last two years I have acquired lots of canning lids and extra cases of canning jars. I’ haven’t used these extra jars yet, but they are on my shelf just-in-case I need to preserve extra food. I always over plant and give away excess. Depending on circumstances, that may need to change.

Mad Trapper
03-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Over the last two years I have acquired lots of canning lids and extra cases of canning jars. I’ haven’t used these extra jars yet, but they are on my shelf just-in-case I need to preserve extra food. I always over plant and give away excess. Depending on circumstances, that may need to change.

Worst part is cleaning the used jars. When weather breaks get a big plastic tote and soak the jars in hot soapy bleach, hose them out and dry. Good you got lids, there was a run on those with the Kung Flu BS 2020-2021.

Mods, I forgot there was already a 2023 gardening thread, want to merge this one?

Box of frogs
03-26-2023, 01:15 PM
I always over plant and give away excess. Depending on circumstances, that may need to change.

Us too. I’ve feed a lot of relatives with free vegetables.
I take some of my friends at work corn and peas. It’s like Christmas to them.
Hopefully I can continue doing it
BoF

TJC44
03-27-2023, 09:20 PM
Worst part is cleaning the used jars. When weather breaks get a big plastic tote and soak the jars in hot soapy bleach, hose them out and dry. Good you got lids, there was a run on those with the Kung Flu BS 2020-2021.

Mods, I forgot there was already a 2023 gardening thread, want to merge this one?

I don't trust myself not to lose the posts.

I did sticky it so it stays at the top.

BucketBack
08-01-2023, 06:33 AM
IMG lost

Anyway our garden is done . The Mrs.'s future daughter in law cleaned out the garden , then sold them off on Fakebook since we have no room or time to can this time.

While they were there the Popo showed up about a stolen 95 Mousetang Covertibile.

Grimey always leaves his doors unlocked, and keys in the stang with an open garage door

We've been gone 3 weeks now and people know about it because he moans about us at the Post. where folks mostly hate him.

We watched the place for him. I wonder what else is missing? The Michigan car was never driven in the winter and only had the clearcoat peeling.

He's famous for not having insurance and the other helper fell off his porch Tuesday bruising her kidney and spraining her back and can't toilet her patients now.

He has no insurance on that property either

The car was either taken for a prank, or is already in pieces at the chop shop down the street.

BucketBack
08-24-2023, 12:40 PM
A tip from a former renter about a former renter said Ashley Culp showed up in a Red Convertible knocking on his window.He did not know it was stolen but knew then car. Lots of camera's and chop shops there. At Competitive Build Teardown Wednesday's at Chrysler Highland Park, a 1990 mustang is torn down in less than 30 minutes.

She's the one that hit my Trailblazer.

The Mrs sold 6 bushels of Roma's for $50 so we didn't have to can because of space.

There is till a bushel or two left yet