PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Fixed Speaker Cone Tears ?

BucketBack
04-09-2023, 09:31 AM
I was gifted a couple Cerwin Vega 15" Speakers. One needed wiring and is GTG, the other needs new foam which I'm ready to do as soon as I fix the tear.

A replacement woofer is $250 or more if one can be found?

One CV speaker is paired with a CV subwoofer, which rocks as it is

This is the updated model

https://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-SL-15-3-Way-Floor-Speaker/dp/B00JPDMXE4?th=1

These are what I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364131726596?hash=item54c7f13504:g:KhIAAOSwXw1j3BZ i&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0EaTVcLYUD5ML2N7uKGkf5sme3KdL RFSgYKjV7CJU7NzBcRDsnVD91drAcfrAIpXztqdHOYw9bbg5Fh dDIVlKGlUc5HOFV%2FogLi5FIoJ84ubwTxki1Stsn8p3I0HcdY jhcj16aYR3CtzBeyB8GgKaTrRkY4rqHdQOTHWEPSXn4PAgvTc6 lHs199MYZX2Tj5ocic4tSqVq3I9BibwT2ipTylWb8oiikNvvPp H9CziDIAVFnC4bqzMOJ7gnrooHsPoUBOyruIXyDLpZjqohHtWI yk%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-KKgufsYQ

A DJ used these for weddings, I got them to play at Fight Club yesterday, but they are too valuable and too heavy for me moving around.

Box of frogs
04-09-2023, 10:19 AM
Never had any kind of luck with torn/split paper cones.
Even a good repair would not hold up if you cranked up the volume.

I looked at a set of CV DX9 back in the late 80’s but opted for the Infinity SM150 instead
Drove them with a Carver amp and Carver C1 pre amp. The neighbors in the apartment complex hated me.
BoF

SOCOM42
04-09-2023, 10:23 AM
I was gifted a couple Cerwin Vega 15" Speakers. One needed wiring and is GTG, the other needs new foam which I'm ready to do as soon as I fix the tear.

A replacement woofer is $250 or more if one can be found?

One CV speaker is paired with a CV subwoofer, which rocks as it is

This is the updated model

https://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-SL-15-3-Way-Floor-Speaker/dp/B00JPDMXE4?th=1

These are what I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364131726596?hash=item54c7f13504:g:KhIAAOSwXw1j3BZ i&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0EaTVcLYUD5ML2N7uKGkf5sme3KdL RFSgYKjV7CJU7NzBcRDsnVD91drAcfrAIpXztqdHOYw9bbg5Fh dDIVlKGlUc5HOFV%2FogLi5FIoJ84ubwTxki1Stsn8p3I0HcdY jhcj16aYR3CtzBeyB8GgKaTrRkY4rqHdQOTHWEPSXn4PAgvTc6 lHs199MYZX2Tj5ocic4tSqVq3I9BibwT2ipTylWb8oiikNvvPp H9CziDIAVFnC4bqzMOJ7gnrooHsPoUBOyruIXyDLpZjqohHtWI yk%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-KKgufsYQ

A DJ used these for weddings, I got them to play at Fight Club yesterday, but they are too valuable and too heavy for me moving around.

One to one epoxy resin mix and a piece of fiberglass cloth to fit.

Did one of mine quite a few years ago that way, was a 12 inch Utah speaker.

Saturate the cloth first on a piece of plastic like a baggie put glue on cone then add cloth.

It is still holding up today, I do not drive the hell out of it.

It split when the needle on my BIC turntable accidently hit the edge of the disc.

BucketBack
04-09-2023, 03:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5sqDq7L-ig

I have resins, cloths, cements. I have all I need, I think

StratBastard
04-09-2023, 09:11 PM
I used to have a huge collection of vintage speakers, amps, and cabinets. Orange frame JBL d130's, Jensen 25w 10", 30w Celestions were my favorites depending on the tone you were after. These were for guitar amps of course, not stereos.

One can have speakers sent out to be re-coned. However, with vintage speakers nobody is going to have an original cone... so it won't be the same again ever. Best to repair/patch them yourself as outlined above. How old is your Cervin Vega? If it is later 1980's or younger there may be original cones out there.
Example:

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwin-vega-speaker-recone-kit-153eh-rk-cv153eh.html

BucketBack
04-10-2023, 07:30 AM
I was browsing simply speakers.I will need to compare what I have, as there already is 2 types of woofers in the same type cabinets.

The Mrs ex# 2's brother, Brad ran a DJ service and has a storage unit with 6 more CV's, and some amps and mixers . It was mentioned to just check the other speakers for a good woofer and unscrew and disconnect it.

He is on his last hurrah I'm afraid.

He's had a few heart attacks, and says the next one will be his last, in the next couple years.

He had fried perch, baked breaded pollock and more fried perch Friday. That's better than a McDonalds any day.

They have a great spot on the river for chrome about now

BucketBack
04-10-2023, 07:30 AM
I was browsing simply speakers.I will need to compare what I have, as there already is 2 types of woofers in the same type cabinets.

Another DJ friend Mike, says to use the same cement as the foam uses. Use a q tip to apply the cement, and shred the QTip end as the patch

I have the materials in stock. Somewhere

BucketBack
04-10-2023, 07:36 AM
I used to have a huge collection of vintage speakers, amps, and cabinets. Orange frame JBL d130's, Jensen 25w 10", 30w Celestions were my favorites depending on the tone you were after. These were for guitar amps of course, not stereos.

One can have speakers sent out to be re-coned. However, with vintage speakers nobody is going to have an original cone... so it won't be the same again ever. Best to repair/patch them yourself as outlined above. How old is your Cervin Vega? If it is later 1980's or younger there may be original cones out there.
Example:

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwin-vega-speaker-recone-kit-153eh-rk-cv153eh.html

That's the newer looking style , that one is working since I plugged it in.

The other one looks older.

Mad Trapper
04-10-2023, 07:50 AM
I really miss Radio Shack, ................rebuilt lots of old stuff.

SOCOM42
04-10-2023, 03:57 PM

Another DJ friend Mike, says to use the same cement as the foam uses. Use a q tip to apply the cement, and shred the QTip end as the patch

I have the materials in stock. Somewhere

Q tip flocking is not strong enough, you can also use a chunk of a T-shirt.

The key is to saturate the cloth and to rub enough into the cone.

SOCOM42
04-10-2023, 04:09 PM
I really miss Radio Shack, ................rebuilt lots of old stuff.

Yeah, I miss them too.

Even all the stores around where I lived that catered to the TV repair shops are gone, been gone now for 35+ years.

I use to go to those long before there was a Shack store anywhere around.

I use to buy from the original Radio Shack, from their mailed out catalogue from Chicago, like in 1954 and up.

I used parts from all those places to build my projects.

Built my first HF receiver from parts, no kits, had to cut all the chassis holes myself for tubes and such.

That was back in the 50s, got my ham ticket in 1957, went to the customs building in Boston for it.

Mad Trapper
04-10-2023, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I miss them too.

Even all the stores around where I lived that catered to the TV repair shops are gone, been gone now for 35+ years.

I use to buy from the original Radio Shack, from there mailed out catalogue from Chicago, like in 1954 and up.

Built my first HF receiver from parts, no kits, had to cut all the chassis holes myself for tubes and such.

That was back in the 50s, got my ham ticket in 1957, went to the customs building in Boston for it.

Last project from RS was fixing my 1940 9N Ford's generator. 3 brush generator, no regulator, just a cutout to battery. All the new stuff is Chi-Com crap that burns up in ~1year. You can make one with a diode, that fits in original cutout can. Tractor is still 6V pos ground system.

StratBastard
04-10-2023, 11:30 PM
That's the newer looking style , that one is working since I plugged it in.

The other one looks older.

Well, there is some more of them out there, depending on the model number (DXW15 as an example) if one is willing to wade through about 98% of them being aftermarket kits. If she sounds good with your planned repair completed, I say good to go. I had a repaired Jensen 10" in a little vintage 5 watt Supro amp, and of course the tone one wants from this amp is tube sag, and speaker distortion for that "brown sound" tone... so you dime it always. The Jensen did fine.

Mad Trapper
04-11-2023, 01:16 AM
Strat, You'd have fit in good early days.

We had garage bands, that played weekends with HS girls and beer.

Some like you, graduated to playing good!

StratBastard
04-11-2023, 05:05 AM
Strat, You'd have fit in good early days.

We had garage bands, that played weekends with HS girls and beer.

Some like you, graduated to playing good!

I was in a couple garage bands around 14 and 15 years old, good memories, great times, and the hard process of learning what sucks and what doesn't LOL. Had my first paid pro gig at 19, and by 23 we had an agent and were booked pretty solid and on the road. I had a threshold moment (more like an hour) when at 16 I went to the Portland Colosseum in 1974 to see Deep Purple. I stood right at Ritchie Blackmore's feet hoping to discover something... anything really. Because even though they were much much better than me at the time, I had some inkling of what the likes of Clapton or even Hendrix were doing... all of it blues scales in the pentatonic realm. And I could replicate it on a more basic scale. But Ritchie was a mystery. His playing (as I later learned) was a blend of the pentatonic and neo-classical, of which I had no clue whatsoever. He saw me right in front of him, and also saw I was watching his fretboard intensely. He did that thing he does onstage... kneeling down and tossing off a fantastic solo... three feet from my face and grinning at me. It was way over my head of course at the time, but I absorbed enough to work at it for the next few years. There are a small handful of days in every life where one has the opportunity to wake the fuck up. That was one of mine.

StratBastard
04-11-2023, 05:21 AM
Yeah, I miss them too.

I use to buy from the original Radio Shack, from there mailed out catalogue from Chicago, like in 1954 and up.

I still have an entire drawer of ancient Radio Shack stuff LOL. Always trying to run analog electronic stuff in a signal chain that don't really belong together. Male/male 1/4" adapters, Female/female adapters, 1/4" to RCA adapters, split signal stereo adapters, the list is endless. Some of the Frankenstein stuff I had going as a kid would make a modern studio tech tremble.

BucketBack
04-11-2023, 06:33 AM
Well the speaker supplier showed up to check my work on the one CV, and said he had at least 7 more in storage.

I was buying plastic pallets for $40 to put my new to me shed on. She offered to give Bradley the shed for speaker payment.

Well the Mrs wound up selling the shed to him for $500 on payments,$250 down, $250 next month, I'm delivering the pallets to him, then taking my trailer to storage to pick up what I can.

Then what fits in the shed, fits, and what doesn't is target material.

We'll wind up with a DJ / Karaoke setup for $40, and I still have to move and setup the shed.

SOCOM42
04-11-2023, 07:35 AM
I still have an entire drawer of ancient Radio Shack stuff LOL. Always trying to run analog electronic stuff in a signal chain that don't really belong together. Male/male 1/4" adapters, Female/female adapters, 1/4" to RCA adapters, split signal stereo adapters, the list is endless. Some of the Frankenstein stuff I had going as a kid would make a modern studio tech tremble.

In more recent times, i have had to cobble together civilian and military connectors, endless combinations.

My stuff was for RF not much AF like you music guys.

Not related but an interesting item anyways, along time ago and far away,

I heard music in a room where there were no speakers at all!!!

It was in a transmitter room of a 15KW radio station, audio was brought in by wire from the studio 15 miles away.

What I was listening to was the plates in the Eimac final tubes oscillating!

It was the strangest thing, but beautiful at the same time.

I must have stood there mesmerized for a half hour listening to it.

I will take some pictures of my pile of connectors and post in a week or so.

red442joe
04-11-2023, 08:00 AM
I was in a couple garage bands around 14 and 15 years old, good memories, great times, and the hard process of learning what sucks and what doesn't LOL. Had my first paid pro gig at 19, and by 23 we had an agent and were booked pretty solid and on the road. I had a threshold moment (more like an hour) when at 16 I went to the Portland Colosseum in 1974 to see Deep Purple. I stood right at Ritchie Blackmore's feet hoping to discover something... anything really. Because even though they were much much better than me at the time, I had some inkling of what the likes of Clapton or even Hendrix were doing... all of it blues scales in the pentatonic realm. And I could replicate it on a more basic scale. But Ritchie was a mystery. His playing (as I later learned) was a blend of the pentatonic and neo-classical, of which I had no clue whatsoever. He saw me right in front of him, and also saw I was watching his fretboard intensely. He did that thing he does onstage... kneeling down and tossing off a fantastic solo... three feet from my face and grinning at me. It was way over my head of course at the time, but I absorbed enough to work at it for the next few years. There are a small handful of days in every life where one has the opportunity to wake the fuck up. That was one of mine.

This is a great story!
Thanks for sharing.

Joe

red442joe
04-11-2023, 08:03 AM
In more recent times, i have had to cobble together civilian and military connectors, endless combinations.

My stuff was for RF not much AF like you music guys.

Not related but an interesting item anyways, along time ago and far away,

I heard music in a room where there were no speakers at all!!!

It was in a transmitter room of a 15KW radio station, audio was brought in by wire from the studio 15 miles away.

What I was listening to was the plates in the Eimac final tubes oscillating!

It was the strangest thing, but beautiful at the same time.

I must have stood there mesmerized for a half hour listening to it.

I will take some pictures of my pile of connectors and post in a week or so.

Yet another great story!

Joe

Mad Trapper
04-11-2023, 11:25 AM

I saw Ritiche/Purple, he could not compare to SRV, none did.

LAST SRV I SAW , I felt sorry for J Beck, having to follow. They did an ecore"Going down" it smoked!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mo6TmN1Kp4

BucketBack
04-11-2023, 07:35 PM
Bought 8 pallets , delivered 7

Had a Carver TFM 42 dropped off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOq9pIU4YWw

https://reverb.com/item/55193357-carver-tfm-42-rare-power-amplifier-375-wpc-8ohms-1000-wpc-mono-same-as-tfm-45

The CV's are rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms, just like the Carver

Orderd this Pyle of mixer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFZRV7B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

StratBastard
04-11-2023, 09:09 PM
I saw Ritiche/Purple, he could not compare to SRV, none did.

LAST SRV I SAW , I felt sorry for J Beck, having to follow. They did an ecore"Going down" it smoked!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mo6TmN1Kp4

I couldn't get what I needed from SRV, because he never ever left the pentatonic/blues scale. And although he dialed that up to 11, and ended up being the very best at it (IMO), I already at least understood the underlying structure. Ritchie mixed the pentatonic with Bach, Beethoven, and Paganini, and it was a structure I didn't remotely understand at the time. He held the keys to that specific lock.

One of my favorite live shows of SRV was when he played with Jeff Healy. If I understand it correctly, SRV discovered Jeff and got him going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mKggAwT-YQ

Mad Trapper
04-12-2023, 08:10 AM
I couldn't get what I needed from SRV, because he never ever left the pentatonic/blues scale. And although he dialed that up to 11, and ended up being the very best at it (IMO), I already at least understood the underlying structure. Ritchie mixed the pentatonic with Bach, Beethoven, and Paganini, and it was a structure I didn't remotely understand at the time. He held the keys to that specific lock.

One of my favorite live shows of SRV was when he played with Jeff Healy. If I understand it correctly, SRV discovered Jeff and got him going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mKggAwT-YQ

I got to see SRV with Jeff Healy, Saratoga Springs. Jeff came out for Stevie's encores. I think SRV did get Jeff recognition he deserved, I believe they met in Toronto

You know more about music/guitar than I ever will. Did you ever get to see Frank Zappa? I think he was trained in classical stuff. He did all kinds of crazy time keeping in his music and had great musicians in his bands.

StratBastard
04-12-2023, 08:33 PM
I got to see SRV with Jeff Healy, Saratoga Springs. Jeff came out for Stevie's encores. I think SRV did get Jeff recognition he deserved, I believe they met in Toronto

You know more about music/guitar than I ever will. Did you ever get to see Frank Zappa? I think he was trained in classical stuff. He did all kinds of crazy time keeping in his music and had great musicians in his bands.

I was a Zappa fan, but never got to go to a concert. I have watched great live Zappa shows on Youtube. He could reproduce live very well I thought... not every guitarist does. And his music was his own unique style of fusion: when you hear Zappa, you know right away you're hearing Zappa LOL. His son Dweezil is a decent player as well.

Sparkyprep
04-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Just buy some new speakers. LOL.

BucketBack
04-14-2023, 07:48 PM
I'm a poor, so a free $1000 speakers system is cool, along with a $1500 amp, but it's a fun ride.

I can watch my boober as I'm setting up the shed.

I just spotted boats on trailers at the NoTell, so I'll use the access at Bridgeton, since the Steelhead can't swim upstream until the rains.

The Chrome is in.

PeterBrodbeck
08-24-2023, 12:31 PM
SRV's vocal prowess resonates like thunder, while his guitar skills strike with the swiftness of lightning. Healey's guitar showers down a torrent of blues, a sight both delightful and uncommon: Stevie Ray wears a genuine smile onstage even in the presence of another headlining artist. During that era, Jimi Hendrix was often described as "magical," a sentiment that garnered SRV's respect. Yet, he himself was hailed as an unstoppable force, an unequivocal blues powerhouse!

BucketBack
08-24-2023, 12:53 PM
SRV was a Sea Ray Vee Hull, until Bobby and Stevie came around.

The Speaker still needs mending and is in the man cave now, finally.

1skrewsloose
08-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Never done it, but, there are re-cone kits out there. Wish they had them way back when, my bud would blow my speakers ALL THE TIME!. So I fused them to blow at about 4 o'clock, didn't help, he'd just tin foiled the fuses. Big Advents that you weren't supposed to be able to blow.

T-Man 1066
08-24-2023, 07:50 PM
SRV's vocal prowess resonates like thunder, while his guitar skills strike with the swiftness of lightning. Healey's guitar showers down a torrent of blues, a sight both delightful and uncommon: Stevie Ray wears a genuine smile onstage even in the presence of another headlining artist. During that era, Jimi Hendrix was often described as "magical," a sentiment that garnered SRV's respect. Yet, he himself was hailed as an unstoppable force, an unequivocal blues powerhouse!

Who the hell is this fake dude???

StratBastard
08-24-2023, 08:38 PM
Who the hell is this fake dude???

New guy, first post. He should introduce himself in the new members thread.

Inor
08-24-2023, 09:45 PM
His writing style seems like a bot to me... Vlad? Is that you? Or how about you Mr G-man?

Slippy
08-24-2023, 09:48 PM

Look at you Mr PeterBrodbeck! Bringing it on the first post! :trophy:

Box of frogs
08-25-2023, 04:05 AM
SRV's vocal prowess resonates like thunder, while his guitar skills strike with the swiftness of lightning. Healey's guitar showers down a torrent of blues, a sight both delightful and uncommon: Stevie Ray wears a genuine smile onstage even in the presence of another headlining artist. During that era, Jimi Hendrix was often described as "magical," a sentiment that garnered SRV's respect. Yet, he himself was hailed as an unstoppable force, an unequivocal blues powerhouse!where do you cut and paste this from. Lol

hawgrider
08-25-2023, 10:46 AM
His writing style seems like a bot to me... Vlad? Is that you? Or how about you Mr G-man?

I let him in. He had no record of spam on the stop forum spam site. If he aint a human we nuke it.

T-Man 1066
08-25-2023, 01:31 PM
Strike #1: Used a proper name.

Strike #2: Copied something from rolling stone or guitar world magazine

Strike #3: Only made one post.

Strike #4: No introductory post.

Strike #5: Mentioned "Outdoorsman" as his interest in his profile. This site is a heavier on the "Libtards need to take a submarine ride to the Titanic" side than just a "Outdoorsman" orientated site, but the AI Bot picked up on the site name.

Strike #6: I am out of beer = Ornery!!!

Strike #7: Has not logged in sice his first and only post.

To the Gulag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BucketBack
08-25-2023, 03:02 PM
The CV woofer that needs replacing with the mended torn one had cigarette tin foil on the blown fuse.

Inor
08-25-2023, 03:15 PM
I let him in. He had no record of spam on the stop forum spam site. If he aint a human we nuke it.

Saul Goodman!

Keep him around even if he's a bot.

#1 - We might be able to have some fun with it.

#2 - If it is a bot, we might get a better idea of which of us they are after. (I am guessing, either you or me but who knows...)

hawgrider
08-25-2023, 03:50 PM
We need a couple toys around its been a while.:flamer:

PeterBrodbeck
08-28-2023, 05:30 AM
Hello everyone. If I write now that I am not a bot, would it be the truth? Nowadays, all of us constantly encounter bots online: they are present on most websites offering banking and credit services, integrated into the majority of commercial websites, on social media platforms, messengers, games, and entertainment services. We are still unable to discern often whether we're communicating with a bot or a real person. Your correspondence regarding my solitary post on the topic amused me, as a living human being. However, if I haven't received a ban, then perhaps someone is expecting my response.

Here's my advice to you: don't waste your time discussing someone else's post in terms of plagiarism. All our thoughts and opinions, yours and mine alike, are shaped by the knowledge and opinions of others that we hear and read every day. We then reinterpret the information and express it in our own words, believing it to be "our opinion," even though there is plenty of evidence around that proves our "opinion" to be flawed.

I am typing these thoughts on a keyboard, I swear. But I don't know if there's an electronic chip somewhere in my body that would label me as a bot. Wishing everyone a great day ahead. I don't intend to offend anyone. And if I unintentionally did so, I apologize.

MountainGirl
08-28-2023, 06:00 AM
In Japanese tradition, after a garden is groomed to perfection, a rock is rolled through it to simulate, and honor, the natural randomness of life.

There is no naturalness in the post above mine; nor is there interest on my part to see what this chatbot cares to convey next.

Peace out. :)

BucketBack
08-28-2023, 07:27 AM
Roll Away The Stone

Prepared One
08-28-2023, 09:05 AM
It's a bot. :steamroller:

StratBastard
08-28-2023, 03:55 PM
It's a bot. :steamroller:

And a pedantic bot to boot.

How tedious. :yawn:

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 05:21 PM
^^^ Learned a new word today, after I looked up the meaning.:)

Slippy
08-28-2023, 05:36 PM
Never apologize for something that is not wrong. I mess with you, you mess with me, we mess with each other...its all good fun! Electronic chip or not! :pirateflag:

Hello everyone. If I write now that I am not a bot, would it be the truth? Nowadays, all of us constantly encounter bots online: they are present on most websites offering banking and credit services, integrated into the majority of commercial websites, on social media platforms, messengers, games, and entertainment services. We are still unable to discern often whether we're communicating with a bot or a real person. Your correspondence regarding my solitary post on the topic amused me, as a living human being. However, if I haven't received a ban, then perhaps someone is expecting my response.

Here's my advice to you: don't waste your time discussing someone else's post in terms of plagiarism. All our thoughts and opinions, yours and mine alike, are shaped by the knowledge and opinions of others that we hear and read every day. We then reinterpret the information and express it in our own words, believing it to be "our opinion," even though there is plenty of evidence around that proves our "opinion" to be flawed.

I am typing these thoughts on a keyboard, I swear. But I don't know if there's an electronic chip somewhere in my body that would label me as a bot. Wishing everyone a great day ahead. I don't intend to offend anyone. And if I unintentionally did so, I apologize.

hawgrider
08-28-2023, 06:10 PM

Smoke any Garlic lately?

What weapon is your choice for harvesting whitetail?

Smoke any whitetail lately?

Have you ever fished for suckers?

Broncosfan
08-28-2023, 09:01 PM
Smoke any Garlic lately?

What weapon is your choice for harvesting whitetail?

Smoke any whitetail lately?

Have you ever fished for suckers?

I smoked me some garlic today! lol

hawgrider
08-28-2023, 09:19 PM
I smoked me some garlic today! lol

Good shit man! I running low on rice paper though....

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 09:20 PM
Dude, I been spending hours looking at reviews of smokers, as I've gotten older, if its not exactly what I want I don't buy. Maybe you can tell, I like smoked food, hate paying someone else to do it.

hawgrider
08-28-2023, 09:25 PM
Dude, I been spending hours looking at reviews of smokers, as I've gotten older, if its not exactly what I want I don't buy. Maybe you can tell, I like smoked food, hate paying someone else to do it.

Unless you dont mind spending big bucks store bought smokers are not necessary to smoke some quality foods. I used a refrigerator for 20 years. Then I built a smoker out of a tech cabinet. The tech cabinet build I did is posted around here somewhere. Some folks just use an old file cabinet.

I built a tree stump smoker too link here- https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?6364-Tree-stump-smoker&highlight=Smoker+build

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 09:31 PM
^^^ Thanks, gives me something to consider, I'm pretty much a tight wad being on SSI. I have looked at some barrel smokers and thought, wtf that price for a 55 gal drum and some rebar and grates?

hawgrider
08-28-2023, 09:33 PM
^^^ Thanks, gives me something to consider, I'm pretty much a tight wad being on SSI. I have have looked at some barrel smokers and thought, wtf that price for a 55 gal drum and some rebar and grates? Here is my lastest build of the tech cabinet smoker from few years ago-

https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?12185-Smoker-project&highlight=Smoker

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 09:35 PM
Here is my lastest build of the tech cabinet smoker from few years ago-

https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?12185-Smoker-project&highlight=Smoker

Well shit, that's tits!!!

hawgrider
08-28-2023, 09:45 PM
Well shit, that's tits!!!

This will get ya fired up....

Batch of bacon smoking in the tech cabnit smoker -

https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?3469-Smoking-with-the-quot-Griz-quot&p=193692&viewfull=1#post193692

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 09:56 PM
Way cool, for some reason I thought the smoker needed to be sealed up air tight, then how would the coals burn with no air. Picture forehead slap.

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 10:01 PM
Love this place, went from speaker repair to smokin meat!!:) And nobody gives a shit about going off topic!!!:)

1skrewsloose
08-28-2023, 10:10 PM
Think I got myself talked into building my own, with the ideas from here, got expanded steel and 55 gal drums can be had for $30. I got the itch.

Thanks All!!

hawgrider
08-29-2023, 06:26 AM
Way cool, for some reason I thought the smoker needed to be sealed up air tight, then how would the coals burn with no air. Picture forehead slap. You need lots of flow. No flow equals stale nasty smoke.

BucketBack
08-29-2023, 06:58 AM
I had forgotten about all the smoked carp I brought to work as smoked salmon. I used an old dome shaped commercial smoker.

I bought a used side burner smoker at a yard sale this year for $25 that I have run too hot..............

The Mrs old F.I.L. used to use an old fridge that was rusting out, his ticker will stop before the run this fall they think.....

The fish come in and stack at Bridgeton and they have to stop the baptisms in the fall, until the rains come, then they swim to Croton Dam.

Prepared One
08-30-2023, 09:37 AM
Here is my lastest build of the tech cabinet smoker from few years ago-

That's pretty bad ass. I must have missed the build thread.

TJC44
09-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Love this place, went from speaker repair to smokin meat!!:) And nobody gives a shit about going off topic!!!:)

I had not been following this thread. Wondered how it kept going for 7 pages.

Hard Left Turn! Going off Topic! Welcome to OTP!

BucketBack
09-28-2023, 06:41 AM
I smoked some corn so the Mrs could make Indian Fried Corn the other day. Traded a 870 and a RSC for 2 windows installed. The installer was talked down to $225, 870 and safe are worth $500 plus 12 & 20 ammo. I was broke and didn't want to open the real safe with the real guns in.
His normal price is $200 per small window and I don't like ladders much anymore

Now I'll buy 2 more windows for $500 and get free installation. The Mrs has known him since he was born....

Now back on track. I found some more speaker adhesive, and have the speakers in sight in the man cave, but the new to me RCII, MEC 600 in 20, and the RL550C have taken the lead.
I have replaced the repo'ed ones finally as they left over the weekend:offtopic: