PDA

View Full Version : How To Use Fresh Duck Eggs?

BucketBack
04-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Like from the swamp nest fresh?

Along with the 8 pallets I bought and dropped off 7, since the strap came loose. The Mrs got 2 dozen duck eggs

We were told to bake with them.

hawgrider
04-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Bake or fry them.

StratBastard
04-12-2023, 09:49 PM
Duck eggs are yummy! We had a good handful of ducks along with our chickens until a mink got in the coop somehow and murdered them all.

BucketBack
04-13-2023, 06:11 AM
Bummer. There are a lot of food options here that I overlooked while I was busy taking care of business.

Mad Trapper
04-13-2023, 09:05 AM
Raise some duckies!

BucketBack
04-13-2023, 09:34 AM
We have a deep artesian pond with green slime in it. I just remembered the nickname for that green slime from the canal days.

When it moved out to the lake, the gills would be right under it.

bigwheel
04-13-2023, 09:56 PM
Never tried a wild duck egg but it they are anything like the tame ones lay they are very rich with a huge yoke and not much white. They can be eaten fried but are best reserved for making batter or trading to a chicken farmer for chicken eggs so they can make good hotcakes and cornbread too. They are very good boiled and pickled too
https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/pink-pickled-duck-eggs-recipe-zb0z12zalt/

StratBastard
04-13-2023, 11:55 PM
Never tried a wild duck egg but it they are anything like the tame ones lay they are very rich with a huge yoke and not much white. They can be eaten fried but are best reserved for making batter or trading to a chicken farmer for chicken eggs so they can make good hotcakes and cornbread too. They are very good boiled and pickled too
https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/pink-pickled-duck-eggs-recipe-zb0z12zalt/

The indigenous Kalapuya tribe, which resided in our Willamette Valley long before we arrived, sustained themselves for hundreds of years with wild duck egg collecting. They must have been very good at it LOL. I grew up along both the Willamette and McKenzie rivers where they once resided, spent much of my youth around those rivers, and of course always saw native ducks. Never once found a single wild duck egg.

bigwheel
04-15-2023, 09:30 PM
Trying to do the math on a person sustaining themeselves on wild duck eggs? lol. We had a tame duck named Fred who started laying an egg per day and got a name change to Fredda. A person could live on one of those eggs per day maybe..but I dont think wild lady ducks lay eggs that often. We may need to axe Slippy or Inor about that.