PDA

View Full Version : AIR FRYERS...BEEF/CHICKEN/FISH/PORK/LAMB...Reviews, Recipe Suggestions or Criticism?

Slippy
04-15-2023, 05:00 PM
(Hawg, my man, be easy on me for this thread!). I'm just crazy sometimes!:lost:

Who has an Air Fryer and what do you think about them? Seems like a good option especially when we are travel trailer camping or just don't have the time or the motivation to grill. (yes I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but play along with me on this one!):shitstorm:

Lemme hear from you knucklehead chef's!

SOCOM42
04-15-2023, 05:51 PM
(Hawg, my man, be easy on me for this thread!). I'm just crazy sometimes!:lost:

Who has an Air Fryer and what do you think about them? Seems like a good option especially when we are travel trailer camping or just don't have the time or the motivation to grill. (yes I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but play along with me on this one!):shitstorm:

Lemme hear from you knucklehead chef's!

I have a Emeril Lagasse 360, bough it last fall, our other shit the bed.

It works well, not done anything complex with it yet, did some chicken breast in it, came out fine.

I hate to say it but I use it like a microwave most of the time, frozen pre-cut french fries, Arby Curly fries,

Tyson assorted chicken parts, tater puffs and other frozen things.

Have baked rolls in it, were ok, did raw turkey breast last thanksgiving, one of the first things we did in it, came out fine.

I don't pre heat it, I just put it in for the specified time and done.

I don't want to try any steaks in yet, prefer the grill plate or the BBQ grill for those.

I don't use the gas stove oven, uses too much propane for my taste, today, it just holds the frying pans and baking stuff.

If I were you I would get his French door model, I like that one, I will get it one of these days.

Not used it but, mine has the rotisserie feature included.

It is fast, what I do runs only around 13-15 minutes.

If you are using it in a camper, remember that thing draws around 1,500 watts.

All of his models have the same current draw, IIRC

One of these times I am goin to try a bread in it, simple french bread.

hawgrider
04-15-2023, 07:23 PM
They do chicken and fries pretty good but pretty much suck for other stuff.

1skrewsloose
04-15-2023, 07:29 PM
Gave one to my daughter and boyfriend, they wanted one, they say it sucks, takes up space. I wonder how many "takes" it takes to produce the results you see in the ads.

btw, I think it was a ninja air fryer, according to reviews it was supposed to be good.

hawgrider
04-15-2023, 08:26 PM
Gave one to my daughter and boyfriend, they wanted one, they say it sucks, takes up space. I wonder how many "takes" it takes to produce the results you see in the ads.

btw, I think it was a ninja air fryer, according to reviews it was supposed to be good.

Yup huge and cumbersome not easy clean up as advertised. We found putting parchment paper in the basket helped. Advertised cooking times were bullshit not even close estimates for cripy fries or crispy chicken. Save your money and use a good old fashioned oven.

Dwight55
04-16-2023, 07:19 AM
Ours is a first cousin to the one Socom has . . . same french doors . . . same attachment array . . . little difference in the display up topside.

Getting used to using the dial and push button arrays is not a "jump in and do it" . . . but a little practice and you'll be fine.

I borrowed one of those big ugly black plastic monsters with the pull out drawer to see if we would like the thing . . . and I liked the results . . . but not the machine. The one we bought I like a lot better.

Just remember that basket is HOT when you get ready to pull it out . . . and you just may drip juicy stuff so have something under the front of it.

But the other thing I really like is the glass doors . . . you can see what the heck is going on . . . no problemo . . . which is somethng I've always used when cooking.

FWIW . . . mine was made in Vietnam

May God bless,
Dwight

Slippy
04-16-2023, 09:28 AM
Hard to beat a well seasoned cast iron pan! (1 lb Bison Burger in bacon grease)

Dwight55
04-16-2023, 04:32 PM

I'm gettin lazy in my old age . . . put that funky baking paper in the air fryer . . . toss it . . . you just did the dishes . . . no scrubbing on a pan . . .

Plus no drippy grease to fall down on the front of your shirt . . .

My wife does the majority of the cooking . . . but if she was not around . . . I'd probably have an annual appointment for my new microwave and air fryers.

The oven would be reserved for pies . . . and I'd put me a flat piece of steel on my two left side burners . . . just to burn baloney sammiches on.

May God bless,
Dwight

rstanek
04-16-2023, 05:17 PM
We just purchased an air fryer toaster oven combination, can air fry or bake, so far we like it

Prepared One
04-16-2023, 05:35 PM

Slippy my man! You have made a serious error here. An oversight I am sure. That's my burger. You didn't make yourself one?

Michael_Js
04-16-2023, 05:50 PM
We love our air fryer! Philips large model - I bought it at 75% off when I was an employee. We cook lots of stuff in it! Just finished frying up some tofu cubes we use as croutons/protein on our salads. I'll be grilling 2 ahi steaks for dinner tonight. My wife's favorite is tater tots cooked in there.

SOCOM42
04-16-2023, 07:14 PM
Yup huge and cumbersome not easy clean up as advertised. We found putting parchment paper in the basket helped. Advertised cooking times were bullshit not even close estimates for cripy fries or crispy chicken. Save your money and use a good old fashioned oven.

Myself, I find mine suitable for what I do.

It sits on a shelf out of the way.

My gas oven sucks up way too much propane, we don't even do a full size turkey for just the two of us,

the air fryer is way more efficient in all respects, want to try a whole chicken in it some day on the rotary.

I see the great meals you make up, that is not me, sadly, would love to eat anyone of the ones you do.

I have to watch my weight, don't want to get the lard back on after all this time.

I have slowed to a crawl over the years, have to adjust life to suit.

It was common for me to work 12+ hours a day for decades, now just 4 hours a week.

Inor
04-16-2023, 09:38 PM
Mrs Inor saw an air fryer and "had to have it". I never refuse her a kitchen goo gah. We've only had it a few months, but so far it has done a pretty good job. I'm not even sure what all she has made with it beyond fried chicken, french fries and tater tots. All three of those are pretty good. Although truth be told, I still prefer fried chicken made however she used to make it. That is not to say air fryer fried chicken is bad; it's just not AS good as however she used to make it (in my arrogant opinion).

Would I recommend getting one? Sure, if it makes the Mrs happy. But if it broke and Mrs Inor was not screaming for a replacement, I probably wouldn't replace it either. How's that for a ringing endorsement?

Slippy
04-18-2023, 05:01 PM

Went with the Ninja Air Fryer.

Cooked a 1lb Bison Burger for lunch that was perfectly medium rare with a nice crusty char on both sides. Was mildly impressed.

Tonight I'll have a 1.5 lb Ribeye. Waiting on the steak to get to room temp. Will take some pics of this one for you knuckleheads.

Slippy
04-18-2023, 06:17 PM
5 minute/side @400

Perfectly cooked medium rare with a descent char. Should have let it rest more but Mrs Slippy and I had to start eating it.

I like a more robust char on my thick steaks so I'll try and figure that out. But overall I'd say 2 Thumbs Up

Dwight55
04-19-2023, 08:38 AM
5 minute/side @400

Perfectly cooked medium rare with a descent char. Should have let it rest more but Mrs Slippy and I had to start eating it.

I like a more robust char on my thick steaks so I'll try and figure that out. But overall I'd say 2 Thumbs Up

I really think that boy needs stabbed a couple more times . . . or his bell put back on his neck and returned to the pasture.

May God bless,
Dwight

Prepared One
04-19-2023, 09:56 AM
I really think that boy needs stabbed a couple more times . . . or his bell put back on his neck and returned to the pasture.

May God bless,
Dwight

Not me. Hit the cow over the head, drag it across the hot coals, and put it on the plate. :chef:

Inor
04-19-2023, 03:41 PM
Not me. Hit the cow over the head, drag it across the hot coals, and put it on the plate. :chef:

^^^ That ^^^

(Or just hold it under a heat lamp for a couple minutes.)

Slippy
04-19-2023, 06:16 PM
Pastor D,

My Dear Lord and God as my witness, that steak was NOT the best steak I've ever eaten...

but it was most certainly in the top tier! Still like the Iron Skillet versions better but I'm a fan of this Air Fryer thing-a-ma-jig!

:thumb:

May God bless,
Dwight

1skrewsloose
04-20-2023, 07:14 PM
I dunna know, for simply cooking 1 steak, a hibachi with charcoal tastes way more gooder.:) Or cooked with wood for that matter.

Slippy
04-30-2023, 10:28 AM
Sunday, April 30 2023 Update

15 days ago I began doing research on a simpler way to prepare more quality Protein, specifically BEEF.

I also decided to cut out all boxed and canned food for a short period of time and see if I felt better. Weight Loss was not my goal per se, but more general well being.

My plan was not to travel on business and stay home. Cut out all pre-packaged food, eat only fresh quality beef and eggs and only 2 meals a day.

My typical day went like this;

11 am; 8-16 oz hamburger preferably Kobe or Bison Burger with Salt plus a multivitamin and some C, D3, Magnesium and Potassium VitaminDaily
2 pm; 1-2 hardboiled fresh eggs from our hens with Salt
4-6 pm; 12-16 oz Beef Steak usually NY Strip or Ribeye with Salt
Probably averaged drinking 10-12 large Tumblers of Ice Water with Electrolytes

I cheated, but surprisingly, just a little;
Last Saturday night with a pint of 1800 Tequila!
Sunday of last week I ate a half cup of cottage cheese
Yesterday I ate some bacon, lettuce wraps and a sliced tomato, no bread. Also drank some diet ginger ale, just because I was thirsty for something other than water.

This morning I weighed and I am 12 lbs lighter and feel damn good. My cravings went away after about 5 days. Electrolytes helped with cravings and headache. My joints feel very good.

I may continue this for a while and see what happens...

Slippy
04-30-2023, 11:58 AM
On the menu for next couple of days. Plus a few eggs. Electrolyte packs in the box upper left

Just cooked the steak on the left for my 1st meal of the day, ate about 1/2 and was full.

Dwight55
04-30-2023, 12:51 PM
Since posting last time about the air fryer . . .

Have done a rotisserie chicken . . . put olive oil and steak seasoning on the dude . . . stuffed the cavity with a white onion . . . stuck the skewer thru it . . . hung it inside at 400 deg for 55 minutes . . . have not had any that was considerably better . . .

Also did a pineapple pie . . . 2 crust . . . was really good . . . just have to remember to go in about half way and rotate the pie . . . crust got pretty dark on the back side . . . too close to the heat.

I'm not sure I'll save any on the electric bill . . . but it doesn't heat up the kitchen like the regular oven does. I like that . . . plus I don't have to bend over to see what I'm doing or see how things are progressing. That is a BIG PLUS in my book.

May God bless,
Dwight

Slippy
04-30-2023, 01:14 PM
Looks pretty dang good!

Since posting last time about the air fryer . . .

Have done a rotisserie chicken . . . put olive oil and steak seasoning on the dude . . . stuffed the cavity with a white onion . . . stuck the skewer thru it . . . hung it inside at 400 deg for 55 minutes . . . have not had any that was considerably better . . .

Also did a pineapple pie . . . 2 crust . . . was really good . . . just have to remember to go in about half way and rotate the pie . . . crust got pretty dark on the back side . . . too close to the heat.

I'm not sure I'll save any on the electric bill . . . but it doesn't heat up the kitchen like the regular oven does. I like that . . . plus I don't have to bend over to see what I'm doing or see how things are progressing. That is a BIG PLUS in my book.

May God bless,
Dwight

Chiefster23
04-30-2023, 01:46 PM
On the menu for next couple of days. Plus a few eggs. Electrolyte packs in the box upper left

Just cooked the steak on the left for my 1st meal of the day, ate about 1/2 and was full.

Any vegetables?

Box of frogs
04-30-2023, 02:02 PM
Keep us informed on how this is working for you.
My major muscle groups (thighs, shoulders) and the associated joints sometimes get inflammation issues and I walk like a 90 year old
If eating more meat is the answer I can deal with that.
BoF

Slippy
04-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Any vegetables?

The last 15 days the only vegetables I've had were 2 pcs of romaine lettuce and a couple of slices of tomato, filled the lettuce with some cooked bacon pieces and added a small smear of mayo for a no bread version of a a BLT.

Slippy
04-30-2023, 02:36 PM
Keep us informed on how this is working for you.
My major muscle groups (thighs, shoulders) and the associated joints sometimes get inflammation issues and I walk like a 90 year old
If eating more meat is the answer I can deal with that.
BoF

Inflammation/Joint Pain is the main reason I'm trying this. Its an "Elimination" type of process to find out what is causing inflammation.

I've focused on drinking LOTS of water and found out about day 3 that flavored Electrolyte packs help.

My shoulders, hands and elbows feel MUCH better, but my 1 God Given knee and both ankles are pretty messed up so I'm not noticing a lot of relief so far.

I'm going to try for another week on Beef and maybe switch to Chicken for a couple of days to see how I react.

After that maybe incorporate some fish like tuna and salmon.

Prepared One
05-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Inflammation/Joint Pain is the main reason I'm trying this. Its an "Elimination" type of process to find out what is causing inflammation.

I've focused on drinking LOTS of water and found out about day 3 that flavored Electrolyte packs help.

My shoulders, hands and elbows feel MUCH better, but my 1 God Given knee and both ankles are pretty messed up so I'm not noticing a lot of relief so far.

I'm going to try for another week on Beef and maybe switch to Chicken for a couple of days to see how I react.

After that maybe incorporate some fish like tuna and salmon.

My shoulders, back, and knees, are my biggest problems. I don't care for this getting old shit, but it's like my Dad says, It's better then the alternative. I take the Apple Cider Vinegar pills and that seems to help, especially with my knees.

Slippy
05-06-2023, 03:27 PM

Whole NY Strip USDA Prime! Got 5 out of this slab.

Slippy
05-14-2023, 01:57 PM

Went with the Ninja Air Fryer.

Cooked a 1lb Bison Burger for lunch that was perfectly medium rare with a nice crusty char on both sides. Was mildly impressed.

Tonight I'll have a 1.5 lb Ribeye. Waiting on the steak to get to room temp. Will take some pics of this one for you knuckleheads.

Been about 1 month and I've used the air fryer for meats only dang near every day. I'm down about 14 lbs and feel pretty good. I've settled in to a nice schedule;

First meal of the day is around 10-11 am or later, last meal of the day is 4-6 pm. Lots of water, steak, ground beef burgers, a little chicken and I've added a small amount of peas from the garden, hummus and a slice of cheese on my burger every so often.

MountainGirl
05-14-2023, 06:44 PM
Been about 1 month and I've used the air fryer for meats only dang near every day. I'm down about 14 lbs and feel pretty good. I've settled in to a nice schedule;

First meal of the day is around 10-11 am or later, last meal of the day is 4-6 pm. Lots of water, steak, ground beef burgers, a little chicken and I've added a small amount of peas from the garden, hummus and a slice of cheese on my burger every so often.

That is awesome Slippy! Great job. :thumb:

Mind if I share one little thing? As you start to re-introduce foods back into your mouth, one thing to avoid is condensed tomato products: (tomato sauce, paste, ketchup, etc) A fresh slice outta the garden is okay - but there's something in the reductions that absolutely cause inflammation in joints. <--I learned that 3yrs ago from a Registered Dietician/Nutritionist PhD I'd hired to save my life but that's another story and I dont want to interrupt yours further... except to say that an abundance of protein was prescribed for me as well. Good stuff! :)

1skrewsloose
05-14-2023, 07:19 PM
^^^Thanks tons for this, I never made the correlation of my knees bothering more after having spaghetti. Crap, like my chili, gonna have to change the recipe.

I always knew processed foods were bad for you.

White Shadow
05-14-2023, 09:13 PM
Well, heck. Now I have to go dive down that rabbit hole.

StratBastard
05-14-2023, 10:50 PM
^^^Thanks tons for this, I never made the correlation of my knees bothering more after having spaghetti. Crap, like my chili, gonna have to change the recipe.

I always knew processed foods were bad for you.

Ten years ago, I was sure my knees were completely shot. I could no longer, for example, lower myself down enough to sit on the floor. In addition, my shoulders were nearly immobilized with pain with very little range of motion possible. I assumed it was my 30 years in the gym as a bodybuilder catching up to me... all those heavy weights. When I got my diagnosis of hypertriglyceridemia, which poisoned my pancreas and made me a type II diabetic, I went nearly carnivore to reverse it. Hardcore keto diet, less than 50 grams of clean garden carbs a day. Not only did that work for the diabetes (I currently enjoy a 1AC of 5.5, normal blood sugar, and no meds at all needed) but my pain went away completely. Knees like they were 20 years ago. No shoulder pain or restriction of motion. Hmmmm. Further research into carnivore/Keto diet: they are finally beginning to admit they were wrong about fats and proteins. That it is processed high glycemic carbs which cause inflammation, diabetes, and heart disease. This inflammation can be crippling, or it can be deadly. The AMA assumed (and insisted for decades) that plaque buildup in the arteries was caused by cholesterol... because those deposits contained cholesterol. Nope. The cholesterol was an innocent bystander. A high glycemic diet causes inflammation of the arteries, which makes stuff stick to them... like cholesterol. If you eat nice steaks for a coupla months, hamburger patties, maybe just smothered with onions and mushrooms, and give up rice, pasta, bread, and anything not out of the garden, your pain just might clear right up. Worked for me *poof*. Lost a shit-ton of weight/fat too. I was 270 when I started 3 years or so ago... today I am 215. Go hardcore keto for one month, see if your knees aren't better. All you gotta do is eat steak, how hard is that?

Sasquatch
05-15-2023, 12:33 AM
There is a documentary called The Magic Pill. I saw it on Netflix some 5 years ago, not sure if it is still there (might be able to find it on YouTube). But it talks a lot about processed foods and how bad they are for you. It also follows the story of 3-4 different people with varying degrees of health and shows how they get off the medicines and all get healthier eating better. It also talks about proper cattle farming. It is a really interesting watch if you can still find it.

Slippy
05-15-2023, 05:12 AM
You are 1000% correct on the tomato thing! Nightshade syndrome I think is real for lots of us.Thanks for the reminder!

That is awesome Slippy! Great job. :thumb:

Mind if I share one little thing? As you start to re-introduce foods back into your mouth, one thing to avoid is condensed tomato products: (tomato sauce, paste, ketchup, etc) A fresh slice outta the garden is okay - but there's something in the reductions that absolutely cause inflammation in joints. <--I learned that 4yrs ago from a Registered Dietician/Nutritionist PhD I'd hired to save my life but that's another story and I dont want to interrupt yours further... except to say that an abundance of protein was prescribed for me as well. Good stuff! :)

Slippy
05-15-2023, 05:17 AM
Yes sir! Spot on Strat-man! I never lifted for body building, mine was more for sports and later for simple fitness but I've come to realize that while some of the damage to muscles, bones and joints are real, foods that cause inflammation is my enemy!

Congrats on 215#. I'm 6'4" and 215 is my lower limit but I'm aiming for 225/230.

Ten years ago, I was sure my knees were completely shot. I could no longer, for example, lower myself down enough to sit on the floor. In addition, my shoulders were nearly immobilized with pain with very little range of motion possible. I assumed it was my 30 years in the gym as a bodybuilder catching up to me... all those heavy weights. When I got my diagnosis of hypertriglyceridemia, which poisoned my pancreas and made me a type II diabetic, I went nearly carnivore to reverse it. Hardcore keto diet, less than 50 grams of clean garden carbs a day. Not only did that work for the diabetes (I currently enjoy a 1AC of 5.5, normal blood sugar, and no meds at all needed) but my pain went away completely. Knees like they were 20 years ago. No shoulder pain or restriction of motion. Hmmmm. Further research into carnivore/Keto diet: they are finally beginning to admit they were wrong about fats and proteins. That it is processed high glycemic carbs which cause inflammation, diabetes, and heart disease. This inflammation can be crippling, or it can be deadly. The AMA assumed (and insisted for decades) that plaque buildup in the arteries was caused by cholesterol... because those deposits contained cholesterol. Nope. The cholesterol was an innocent bystander. A high glycemic diet causes inflammation of the arteries, which makes stuff stick to them... like cholesterol. If you eat nice steaks for a coupla months, hamburger patties, maybe just smothered with onions and mushrooms, and give up rice, pasta, bread, and anything not out of the garden, your pain just might clear right up. Worked for me *poof*. Lost a shit-ton of weight/fat too. I was 270 when I started 3 years or so ago... today I am 215. Go hardcore keto for one month, see if your knees aren't better. All you gotta do is eat steak, how hard is that?

MountainGirl
05-15-2023, 08:05 AM
You are 1000% correct on the tomato thing! Nightshade syndrome I think is real for lots of us. Thanks for the reminder!

You are welcome, and after I learned about it 3 yrs ago I told Tom (who suffered mightily with joint pain from 40yrs of skiing etc) and a week after he quit the tomato based stuff, he quit Ibuprophin. Amazing eh? :)

Prepared One
05-15-2023, 08:13 AM

OK dammit, I'll just have to force myself to eat more steak and red meat, but It's going to be tuff. :chef:

MountainGirl
05-15-2023, 08:38 AM

Thanks for sharing that, and since you told yours, here's the short version of mine lol.

2017 Kidney stones (just kill me now) learned to drink lots of water and what foods to avoid.
2019 ICD (my brain thingy) learned what foods to avoid
2020 Kidney stones again...I was like wtf? I'm eating the right stuff...oh wait. No I wasn't. It seems all the foods I was living on to counter the ICD, were the exact foods that triggered stones; the food I could eat re stones triggered the ICD.

There was absolutely nothing I could put in my mouth that wouldn't hurt me - in one direction or the other. I quit eating and scrambled for professional help, found someone, sent them my history/labs/scans, and barely lived on applesauce and toast waiting... They understood the urgency, and within a week provided me a list of foods I could eat without harm... and a list of foods to absolutely never put again in my mouth. <--Those foods I've never touched. Borderline ones, I indulge from time to time and within days I can feel their affect, so again they're off my plate, without sympathy for the self-inflicted. LOL

Last night, we had steaks, smothered in mushrooms & garlic; baked potato w/sour cream (I can only have 1/2cup of potato at a time w/real butter). No 'margarine' or other processed foods are on my list. Yeah...I can live with this. :)

White Shadow
05-15-2023, 10:35 AM
The trick here in this communist hell hole would be finding that competent professional. I saw the super-nutritionist my medical group has on staff and raves about. Her attitude sucks and she tried to poison me.

Slippy
05-15-2023, 11:06 AM
The trick here in this communist hell hole would be finding that competent professional. I saw the super-nutritionist my medical group has on staff and raves about. Her attitude sucks and she tried to poison me.

Is her name by chance Mrs Slippy?

MountainGirl
05-15-2023, 11:15 AM

Mine was not part of a group; I researched licensed dieticians, found one in Spokane, called her and begged her to help.
What I needed was outside her normal practice, but she agreed, and everything was done via email and phone.
Her recommendations were based on extensive research and analysis of my history/conditions/situation.
She charged $300 - and I'd have paid twice that. Saved my life.

White Shadow
05-15-2023, 11:54 AM
Is her name by chance Mrs Slippy?

I would normally say my wife doesn't like the idea of competition, but in this case I suspect it's a "the more, the merrier" type scenario.

1skrewsloose
05-15-2023, 08:40 PM
All of this is so hard to digest, folks that ate this or that and lived to 100, I say, eat what you you want, God gave us that option, do you really think He will take into consideration the foods that we consumed whether or not we were able to come into His kingdom??

Dwight55
05-15-2023, 09:34 PM
..................Last night, we had steaks, smothered in mushrooms & garlic; baked potato w/sour cream (I can only have 1/2cup of potato at a time w/real butter). No 'margarine' or other processed foods are on my list. Yeah...I can live with this. :)

I'm back on the Keto/Atkins form of eating for the next 20 (I hope) pounds.

Did that for 2 years . . . lost 40 pounds . . . blood pressure bottom number went back to the 60's instead of the 90's. Tossed the BP pills . . . and bought some new clothes.

In the last 8 years or so . . . 25 of them pounds came back . . . and the BP is trying to climb again as well.

Ate so many eggs in those years . . . a thousand laying hens knew me by name . . . and I got where I just hated the idea of another egg.

Found my answer this morning though . . . 1 scrambled egg . . . 1 tbsp of butter . . . 2 tbsp of honey . . . all the same things I used to put together with my biscuit, honey, butter and egg . . . just tossed the biscuit.

Y'all don't have to approve . . . but don't knock it if ya ain't tried it. And the honey is local grown stuff with all the local vittes and minnies still in there.

And . . . "No thanks" . . . no more ketchup . . . BBQ sauce . . . or mexicali tomato / onion / garlic whatever ya call that stuff . . . ate enough of them eggs too . . . don't need no more.

May God bless,
Dwight

StratBastard
05-15-2023, 09:50 PM
I'm back on the Keto/Atkins form of eating for the next 20 (I hope) pounds.

Did that for 2 years . . . lost 40 pounds . . . blood pressure bottom number went back to the 60's instead of the 90's. Tossed the BP pills . . . and bought some new clothes.

In the last 8 years or so . . . 25 of them pounds came back . . . and the BP is trying to climb again as well.

Ate so many eggs in those years . . . a thousand laying hens knew me by name . . . and I got where I just hated the idea of another egg.

Found my answer this morning though . . . 1 scrambled egg . . . 1 tbsp of butter . . . 2 tbsp of honey . . . all the same things I used to put together with my biscuit, honey, butter and egg . . . just tossed the biscuit.

Y'all don't have to approve . . . but don't knock it if ya ain't tried it. And the honey is local grown stuff with all the local vittes and minnies still in there.

And . . . "No thanks" . . . no more ketchup . . . BBQ sauce . . . or mexicali tomato / onion / garlic whatever ya call that stuff . . . ate enough of them eggs too . . . don't need no more.

May God bless,
Dwight

Dwight, have you tried Hero bread? It's a hardcore keto bread with one net carb per slice. I order it online, and can make and eat sandwiches again. Have a bread, bacon, sausage and/or cheese sammie for breakfast... almost as good as a biscuit. They make one net carb tortillas too, just as good for breakfast burritos. And croissants. Sausage, egg, and cheese croissant! It's a little expensive, but lets a lot of menu items back on the plate.

https://www.hero.co/

StratBastard
05-15-2023, 10:07 PM
It seems all the foods I was living on to counter the ICD, were the exact foods that triggered stones; the food I could eat re stones triggered the ICD.

And there it is in a nutshell. I feel your pain. The thing which helps one thing, helps kill you in another way. I have hereditary Hypertriglyceridemia: my triglycerides were once at 2000 (over 500 is considered very dangerous). The fix is extreme dietary changes (accomplished) and statins. Together they brought me down to 200. However, I am one of those who cannot tolerate statins: for me it's like daily low dose arsenic. Muscle pain and stiffness, two hours of coffee just to try and get up in the morning, tired, joint pain, constant nausea, and abdomen pain of a most unpleasant nature. It's not like dying of bowel cancer or anything, but it never ever lets up... and after months you are dragging around in a life really not worth living. It accumulates until you can't sustain it any longer. I went off my statins 6 days ago, and I'm a new man again. Put in 20 miles on the bike today with good endurance and increased power in 90 degree heat. Feel great. Muscles feel fine. Surprise surprise, I don't feel like I'm depressed and living under some dark cloud now either. Funny how not being sick every damned day can really lift your mood LOL. Last time I went off these, my tri's spiked to 350. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to live with that number... if it's well under the dangerous 500, then f4ck it. Not everything can be fixed, or the fix is as bad as the ailment.

Inor
05-15-2023, 10:10 PM
All of this is so hard to digest, folks that ate this or that and lived to 100, I say, eat what you you want, God gave us that option, do you really think He will take into consideration the foods that we consumed whether or not we were able to come into His kingdom??

I do not claim to be smart enough to know or understand God's will. But it does seem to me that His rules on dietary intake are pretty loosey-goosey and subject to change. First He told the Jooooos not to eat pork, then He said it was okay. Then He told them not to put cheese on their sammiches, then said that was okay too. I'm pretty sure He would be A-OK with my smoked pork ribs since He is the one that created the pig and the trees to make the smoke that makes the ribs taste so freakin' awesome. As long as Mrs Inor and I remain grateful for the awesomeness of smoked pork anything, I'm betting my soul on God being okay with it.

StratBastard
05-15-2023, 11:10 PM
I do not claim to be smart enough to know or understand God's will. But it does seem to me that His rules on dietary intake are pretty loosey-goosey and subject to change. First He told the Jooooos not to eat pork, then He said it was okay. Then He told them not to put cheese on their sammiches, then said that was okay too. I'm pretty sure He would be A-OK with my smoked pork ribs since He is the one that created the pig and the trees to make the smoke that makes the ribs taste so freakin' awesome. As long as Mrs Inor and I remain grateful for the awesomeness of smoked pork anything, I'm betting my soul on God being okay with it.

Well, cover your bases and bring a nice rack of smoked ribs to the pearly gates with you. I'm sure God has a nice picnic table, and you guys can discuss it over a plate of smoked ribs.

Just don't bring any Bud Light.

StratBastard
05-16-2023, 12:37 AM

Slippy
05-16-2023, 04:45 AM
I'm trying some Hero Bread! Appreciate the suggestion, this will help on the days that a sandwich would hit the spot!

Dwight, have you tried Hero bread? It's a hardcore keto bread with one net carb per slice. I order it online, and can make and eat sandwiches again. Have a bread, bacon, sausage and/or cheese sammie for breakfast... almost as good as a biscuit. They make one net carb tortillas too, just as good for breakfast burritos. And croissants. Sausage, egg, and cheese croissant! It's a little expensive, but lets a lot of menu items back on the plate.

https://www.hero.co/

MountainGirl
05-16-2023, 09:06 AM
I'm trying some Hero Bread! Appreciate the suggestion, this will help on the days that a sandwich would hit the spot!

Unless ya have Celiac's and need to avoid ALL gluten - there is another option for ya - Rye flour.
Wheat flour has like .8/100g and rye is like .3/100g. Rye is on my list, wheat is verboten.
Sometimes I make my own bread, cause the store-bought "Rye" breads are made with mostly wheat etc flour, with a little bit of rye flour in it. Mostly, though, I like FinnCrisp (https://www.amazon.com/Finn-Crisp-Crispbread-Original-7-Ounce/dp/B000JJK0B6?th=1) crackers that contain only rye flour, salt, water. They're great with stuff (salmon, cream cheese, egg salad) piled on for snacks! We've got several cases stocked up.

Slippy
05-21-2023, 05:30 PM
Air Fryer Update!

Its been a little over 1 month and we have used the Ninja Air Fryer nearly every day that we have been home. I didn't really embark on this journey to lose weight but after focusing on high protein, high fat and low carb I have dropped 17 lbs. Not really trying and I haven't added any exercise except normal chores.

We like the Ninja Air Fryer so much we just ordered a Ninja Air Fryer Mini for the RV and when I travel on business.

I'll post my normal daily diet regiment later. So far so good.

MountainGirl
05-21-2023, 06:27 PM
Air Fryer Update!

Its been a little over 1 month and we have used the Ninja Air Fryer nearly every day that we have been home. I didn't really embark on this journey to lose weight but after focusing on high protein, high fat and low carb I have dropped 17 lbs. Not really trying and I haven't added any exercise except normal chores.

We like the Ninja Air Fryer so much we just ordered a Ninja Air Fryer Mini for the RV and when I travel on business.

I'll post my normal daily diet regiment later. So far so good.

Great job Slippy !!!! :headbang: :party:

Slippy
05-21-2023, 07:35 PM
Great job Slippy !!!! :headbang: :party:

Appreciate it MG! Again, weight loss is great but inflammation was the main reason and so far so good on the inflammation.

Most days I start off with a few cups of black coffee, with a pinch of mineral salt, a drop of zero calorie, zero carb liquid stevia and some coconut oil. I've settled into the following routine;

Mid morning to noon; Kobe Beef Burgers 8-16 oz oz OR One 8-12oz steak (ribeye or NY Strip)

2 pm or so; 1 can of sardines topped off with homemade avocado mayo and sugar free pickle relish.

4-6 pm; Another 8-12 oz steak (ribeye, ny strip or flank steak for dinner. for some reason flank steak in mid morning is too tough.)

A handful of almonds or a cucumber with vinegar or a few slices of cheese

I'm drinking about 10 RTIC Cooler Tumblers of water per day, either with lime juice, lemon juice or a teaspoon of flavored electrolyte powder. I also allow myself 1 sugar free Ginger Ale a day. Helps settle any stomach issues.

T-Man 1066
05-21-2023, 09:59 PM
Appreciate it MG! Again, weight loss is great but inflammation was the main reason and so far so good on the inflammation.

Most days I start off with a few cups of black coffee, with a pinch of mineral salt, a drop of zero calorie, zero carb liquid stevia and some coconut oil. I've settled into the following routine;

Mid morning to noon; Kobe Beef Burgers 8-16 oz oz OR One 8-12oz steak (ribeye or NY Strip)

2 pm or so; 1 can of sardines topped off with homemade avocado mayo and sugar free pickle relish.

4-6 pm; Another 8-12 oz steak (ribeye, ny strip or flank steak for dinner. for some reason flank steak in mid morning is too tough.)

A handful of almonds or a cucumber with vinegar or a few slices of cheese

I'm drinking about 10 RTIC Cooler Tumblers of water per day, either with lime juice, lemon juice or a teaspoon of flavored electrolyte powder. I also allow myself 1 sugar free Ginger Ale a day. Helps settle any stomach issues.

Glad to hear it. My diet, maybe not so good.
Breakfast, pot of black coffee. Breakfast hashbrown casserole, eggs, onions, peppers, hot spicy sausage, sharp cheedar.
Lunch, braunschwager and cheese on crackers, hot mustard. copious amounts of really cheap beer.
Dinner. Dinty Moore beef stew, still more beer, a nip or 3 vodka.

Slippy
07-23-2023, 01:58 PM
3 months since we bought the Ninja Air Fryer and Mrs Slippy and I have used it dang near every day we've been home. Our diet has morphed into a Carnivore diet but Mrs Slippy still indulges in grits with her bacon in the morning.

She has lost 13 lbs and is at her low adult weight. Too low in my opinion.

Mrs Slippy is one of those people who has been able to maintain a very consistent weight over the years, (if you don't include her 2 pregnancies) She was a strong runner and spent many an hour on the stair master later in life after her running days ended. Type 1 diabetes made her athletic accomplishments that much more amazing.

I've fluctuated big time over my adult life, early on due to my sports back ground and heavy weight lifting. Later in life, due to work travel, eating out and drinking, especially beer, which I have stopped.
I also stopped drinking Bourbon and only drink Tequila now. It seems to work for me. (As I pause to take a sip!)

After 3 months eating primarily beef, tuna and sardines, I'm down 26 lbs and wearing pants 2 sizes smaller in the waist.

I need a major ankle/foot surgery where my Orthopedic will do an ankle replacement and fuse the bones in my left foot. Recovery is at least 6 weeks with ZERO weight on the surgically repaired foot...so I'd like to lose another 25-30 lbs before going in to the surgery.

Wish me luck and if all goes as planned I can schedule this surgery for December 2023.

Cheers you knuckleheads!

MountainGirl
07-23-2023, 03:21 PM
3 months since we bought the Ninja Air Fryer and Mrs Slippy and I have used it dang near every day we've been home. Our diet has morphed into a Carnivore diet but Mrs Slippy still indulges in grits with her bacon in the morning.

Mrs Slippy is one of those people who has been able to maintain a very consistent weight over the years, (if you don't include her 2 pregnancies) She was a strong runner and spent many an hour on the stair master later in life after her running days ended. Type 1 diabetes made her athletic accomplishments that much more amazing.

I've fluctuated big time over my adult life, early on due to my sports back ground and heavy weight lifting. Later in life, due to work travel, eating out and drinking, especially beer, which I have stopped.
I also stopped drinking Bourbon and only drink Tequila now. It seems to work for me. (As I pause to take a sip!)

After 3 months eating primarily beef, tuna and sardines, I'm down 26 lbs and wearing pants 2 sizes smaller in the waist.

I need a major ankle/foot surgery where my Orthopedic will do an ankle replacement and fuse the bones in my left foot. Recovery is at least 6 weeks with ZERO weight on the surgically repaired foot...so I'd like to lose another 25-30 lbs before going in to the surgery.

Wish me luck and if all goes as planned I can schedule this surgery for December 2023.

Cheers you knuckleheads!

Wow! Kudos to Mrs Slippy - and TO YOU !!

Wouldn't hurt for me and PO to drop a stone or two... and a more protein centered diet sounds do-able. Did you pretty much just stop with flour-based carbs? We're not big vegi folks, other than potatoes & corn.

For sure good luck with what's ahead - and I'm bettin your weight will be down where you want/need it to be by then - but Dayum, that is some major surgery.

So what happened to your foot/ankle? Did Mrs Slippy finally stomp on it for all kinds of good reasons?? :D

Slippy
07-23-2023, 05:44 PM
:)

We had been researching flour based carb stuffs and at some point we both realized that something was wrong our food system (GMO? maybe or maybe it was the way our food was processed?)

Anyway, we both began to move away from flour based carbs and our inflammation began to go away, we felt much better and we weren't as hungry as often and our cravings pretty much stopped.

As to my foot/ankle;

I damaged the ankle multiple times (sprains etc) and had one surgery to remove bone spurs and a torn tendon. I was very active for years, sports, running, lifting, hiking, walking lots of miles etc. All of this plus some surgical nonsense wore the bones of the foot and ankle out.

Surgeries on other body parts CAN and DID result in nerve damage; 1.) Lower back surgery and 2.) Total knee replacement.

Such is life I guess.

Wow! Kudos to Mrs Slippy - and TO YOU !!

Wouldn't hurt for me and PO to drop a stone or two... and a more protein centered diet sounds do-able. Did you pretty much just stop with flour-based carbs? We're not big vegi folks, other than potatoes & corn.

For sure good luck with what's ahead - and I'm bettin your weight will be down where you want/need it to be by then - but Dayum, that is some major surgery.

So what happened to your foot/ankle? Did Mrs Slippy finally stomp on it for all kinds of good reasons?? :D

StratBastard
07-24-2023, 12:25 AM

Inor
07-24-2023, 11:21 AM

Cheers you knuckleheads!

I stopped drinking beer the first week the 'rona started. It was not a conscious decision; I was just too lazy to leave M.T. Acres on a special trip just to get more beer. I dropped about 20 pounds and 2 pant sizes almost instantly. (Within 3 weeks)! I will say, I am happier with new leaner-meaner Inor and cruising around on crutches when I broke my leg was much easier without the added baggage.

MoreAmmoOK
07-24-2023, 07:59 PM
Well, heck. Now I have to go dive down that rabbit hole.

The book, "Ultra-Processed People: Why We Can't Stop Eating Food That Isn't Food" by Chris van Tulleken, is a good start for the rabbit hole.

Slippy
11-05-2023, 08:58 AM
6 months with the Ninja Air Fryer and I am pleased to report that I use it every single day that I am home. I even bought one for the camper and use it when we camp.

I've been on a 95% All Meat lifestyle the last 6 months; Beef, Eggs, Chicken, Fish/Tuna/Sardines with a very small amount of vegetables. Mainly a salad when I travel for business and sometimes veggies from our garden but mostly meat and eggs. Alcohol only Tequila, no beer, no whisky, no wine.

INFLAMMATION is mostly gone. I'm down about 35 lbs. Mrs S has joined me and eliminating packaged processed food has been a huge success for us! The Ninja Air Fryer just makes it easy.

Cheers!

MountainGirl
11-06-2023, 07:03 AM
6 months with the Ninja Air Fryer and I am pleased to report that I use it every single day that I am home. I even bought one for the camper and use it when we camp.

I've been on a 95% All Meat lifestyle the last 6 months; Beef, Eggs, Chicken, Fish/Tuna/Sardines with a very small amount of vegetables. Mainly a salad when I travel for business and sometimes veggies from our garden but mostly meat and eggs. Alcohol only Tequila, no beer, no whisky, no wine.

INFLAMMATION is mostly gone. I'm down about 35 lbs. Mrs S has joined me and eliminating packaged processed food has been a huge success for us! The Ninja Air Fryer just makes it easy.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update! :thumb:

Add: Well hell. I just re-read the whole thread and now I want a Ninja. Slip? You still gonna have the ankle surgery this December? Maybe with the weight loss you wont need it?

Prepared One
11-06-2023, 08:41 AM

Cheers!

Meat, eggs, and Tequila ain't a bad way to go.

Slippy
11-06-2023, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the update! :thumb:

Add: Well hell. I just re-read the whole thread and now I want a Ninja. Slip? You still gonna have the ankle surgery this December? Maybe with the weight loss you wont need it?

Sadly, I'll still need the ankle/foot surgery, the weight loss just helps with inflammatory pain but the actually bone and joint damage is only fixed with surgery.

While I'm proud of my dietary discipline at home...if I travel and eat like the old me, the fluctuating weight and inflammation sometimes returns. After 60 metabolism sucks! :help:

Slippy
02-10-2024, 07:55 AM
Meat, eggs, and Tequila ain't a bad way to go.

MountainGirl
02-10-2024, 08:15 AM

How did the ankle surgery go? Didja have it?
Sorry if you posted about it already, I haven't been reading all the threads... :spankin:

Slippy
02-10-2024, 08:53 AM
How did the ankle surgery go? Didja have it?
Sorry if you posted about it already, I haven't been reading all the threads... :spankin:

I have put the surgery off. Last visit to the doc went like this;

Me; How does the X-Ray and MRI look?
Doc; Its not getting any worse.
Me; Is it getting any better?

Me; See you in 6 months?
Doc; Yes.

T-Man 1066
02-10-2024, 11:20 AM
I have put the surgery off. Last visit to the doc went like this;

Me; How does the X-Ray and MRI look?
Me; Is it getting any better?

Me; See you in 6 months?
Doc; Yes.

Sometimes when you ignore a problem, it goes away. - Unknown

Slippy
02-10-2024, 11:43 AM
Sometimes when you ignore a problem, it goes away. - Unknown
:biglaugh:

However, in today's world, ignoring a problem usually makes for a good YouTube video by a so-called "friend".

For example; Those lug nuts don't look too loose, maybe they'll tighten up the faster I go? :behindsofa:

MountainGirl
02-10-2024, 01:29 PM
:biglaugh:

However, in today's world, ignoring a problem usually makes for a good YouTube video by a so-called "friend".

For example; Those lug nuts don't look too loose, maybe they'll tighten up the faster I go? :behindsofa:

LOL !
Big difference though between taking a lug wrench to tighten some nuts - and going under the knife before absolutely necessary.
Glad to hear things are going okay :)

Slippy
02-10-2024, 02:19 PM
LOL !
Big difference though between taking a lug wrench to tighten some nuts - and going under the knife before absolutely necessary.
Glad to hear things are going okay :)

Thanks MG!

Still losing weight and not really trying, just eating 1-2 meals a day of beef, eggs, chicken and fish every so often. Not doing any structured workouts and my ankle is not happy if I try to walk for distance! Running became out of the question 7-8 years ago.

Shot 100 rounds this am and that's enough "training" for me! Fed the cats, chickens and rode around Slippy Lodge cleaning up some downed limbs and tossing rocks out of the road. Time for Tequila!

BucketBack
02-11-2024, 08:17 AM
I thought this was about making O2 when looking at page 8

Well the Mrs has that covered, as there are big, medium and small tanks in the barn, and carry ones inside next to the CPAP and O2 machine inside the spare bedroom with door closed, and I can still hear it

MountainGirl
02-11-2024, 11:17 AM
I thought this was about making O2 when looking at page 8

Well the Mrs has that covered, as there are big, medium and small tanks in the barn, and carry ones inside next to the CPAP and O2 machine inside the spare bedroom with door closed, and I can still hear it

May you always be able to power it.

I spent a winter (2010-11) snowbound in Canada with my husband on an O2 machine, had back up tanks but too remote for rescue, had the power gone out and not come back on before the tanks ran out, all I could have done was watch him die.

Now y'all know why my survival preps don't require electricity.

BucketBack
02-11-2024, 11:53 AM
What if it fails during the 5 year contract and Aire-Caire can't resupply?

MountainGirl
03-24-2024, 06:47 PM

Cheers!

Just re-read the thread to see which air fryer you got.
Still recommend the Ninja? Which model do you have? I'll just fry until I get one -
I'm starting hardcore Carnivore tomorrow; aka the Lion diet.
Ruminate meat, Arctic salt, water, potassium/magnesium supplement.
I'll add eggs in a week or two. Time to up my health game lol.
Very excited!! Thanks!! :)

Slippy
03-24-2024, 06:57 PM
Just re-read the thread to see which air fryer you got.
Still recommend the Ninja? Which model do you have? I'll just fry until I get one -
I'm starting hardcore Carnivore tomorrow; aka the Lion diet.
Ruminate meat, Arctic salt, water, potassium/magnesium supplement.
I'll add eggs in a week or two. Time to up my health game lol.
Very excited!! Thanks!! :)

Yes, the Ninja above is still going strong. Bought a smaller one for the camper. When home, I use it every day.

Redmond salt is our go to salt. I think it has some of the minerals but regardless I like it.

Keto Flu is real. Water, water water and more water with salt helped me get thru it. Now, I don't even think about it. Cramps too.

Ain't gonna lie, it's hard to be 100% Carnivore.

Had 16 oz of Kobi beef burgers to break my 16 hour fast this am.

I had to travel tonight for a meeting tomorrow and ate fajitas at a Mexican restaurant for evening meal. Cheated with some chips, onions and peppers. 3 tequilas and I'm good to go.

Good luck and the results will be tremendous! My results have been a leaner face, torso, arms and mid-section. Virtually no inflammation unless I cheat.

Inor
03-24-2024, 09:52 PM

Yes, the Ninja above is still going strong. Bought a smaller one for the camper. When home, I use it every day.

Redmond salt is our go to salt. I think it has some of the minerals but regardless I like it.

Keto Flu is real. Water, water water and more water with salt helped me get thru it. Now, I don't even think about it. Cramps too.

Ain't gonna lie, it's hard to be 100% Carnivore.

Had 16 oz of Kobi beef burgers to break my 16 hour fast this am.

I had to travel tonight for a meeting tomorrow and ate fajitas at a Mexican restaurant for evening meal. Cheated with some chips, onions and peppers. 3 tequilas and I'm good to go.

Good luck and the results will be tremendous! My results have been a leaner face, torso, arms and mid-section. Virtually no inflammation unless I cheat.

Mrs Inor has had that same R2 Unit for about a year now. It is AWESOME! She made some BBQ chicken in it last week that was good enough to make you do crime!

I was thinking about getting one of those Sous Vivaldy things (not sure if that is the actual name). It is basically an electric stick that you put into a pot of water. The meat and spices goes into vac sealed bag then into the water. The electric stick holds the water at the exact temperature you want the meat cooked to. They supposedly take a while to cook, but it is supposedly really good. You do have to finish the meat on the grill or in a fry pan to get the outside crusty. I was wondering if any of you have tried one and if they work as well as the interwebs say?

Slippy
03-25-2024, 04:21 AM
Mrs Inor has had that same R2 Unit for about a year now. It is AWESOME! She made some BBQ chicken in it last week that was good enough to make you do crime!

I was thinking about getting one of those Sous Vivaldy things (not sure if that is the actual name). It is basically an electric stick that you put into a pot of water. The meat and spices goes into vac sealed bag then into the water. The electric stick holds the water at the exact temperature you want the meat cooked to. They supposedly take a while to cook, but it is supposedly really good. You do have to finish the meat on the grill or in a fry pan to get the outside crusty. I was wondering if any of you have tried one and if they work as well as the interwebs say?

Inor,

I've tried Reverse Sear and Sous Vide method of steak cooking and I'm not a fan. Something about boiling meat in a plastic bag in water doesn't do it for me.

My go to is to get the steak to room temp (plus or minus an hour or so out of the fridge) then either sear in iron skillet on stove or on grill.

But most days I use the Air Fryer.

stevekozak
03-25-2024, 07:21 AM
Inor,

I've tried Reverse Sear and Sous Vide method of steak cooking and I'm not a fan. Something about boiling meat in a plastic bag in water doesn't do it for me.

My go to is to get the steak to room temp (plus or minus an hour or so out of the fridge) then either sear in iron skillet on stove or on grill.

But most days I use the Air Fryer.

Yeah, I agree. I kind of think that sous vide thing is gay or something. Who the hell boils meat and then fries it? It seems like transgendered steaks or something.