PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution Hitches for Trailering; Any Suggestions?

Slippy
04-22-2023, 04:29 PM
Mrs Slippy and I traded in our old Travel Trailer and upgraded last year.

We took our older and lighter trailer out west to Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota and Utah a number of times and plan on heading out again sometime early summer this year with our new rig. Its very windy out west.

New travel trailer rig weighs 7500 Fully Loaded. F250 6.2 Gas tow capacity is 12,500, so I have plenty of tow capability with my truck. Problem is on some of our weekend trips, I notice a bit of a sway on the trailer. Trailer is 10'6" tall so its a big wind sail.

Any suggestions on a Weight Distribution Anti-Sway Hitches? I currently have a B&W Stow and Tow Hitch but will need to upgrade to add Weight Distribution Hitch.

My research has me leaning to Andersen Hitches;
https://andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/

But any suggestions welcome.

Mad Trapper
04-22-2023, 04:45 PM
I'm still on the farm.

Will learn from this one.

Slippy
04-22-2023, 04:59 PM
I'm still on the farm.

Will learn from this one.

Its interesting, most of my life I've towed flat trailers with cargo being; 4 wheelers, tractors, the occasional jeep or car with no sway whatsoever. Our old travel trailer was only 9' tall and 5000 lbs. No sway at all anytime.

This new travel trailer swayed one time hugely when I was driving on a wet windy day and I hit the trailer control brake and got it back in check but it has been on my mind as I plan my western US trip.

Slippy
04-22-2023, 05:05 PM
The Andersen Hitch

rstanek
04-22-2023, 05:25 PM
We have a 34 ft travel trailer and us an EZ Lift weight distribution and a friction sway bar. Ez lift is rated at 1400 pounds. Travel trailer gross weight is 10,000 pounds

red442joe
04-22-2023, 05:27 PM
I use an Easy Lift weight distributing hitch.
I am of the mind that weight distribution is the only real means of controlling sway.
Not slidy things, not grippy-grabby things, not shock absorby things.
Weight distribution.
Weigh the Fully loaded, (likely Improperly loaded) trailer, move stuff to the front to get proper tongue weight, drop it on the truck. If the truck squats, get a weight distributing hitch. CALL the manufactures tech line for advise: they are sitting there just waiting for YOU to call.

Joe

Slippy
04-22-2023, 07:30 PM
We have a 34 ft travel trailer and us an EZ Lift weight distribution and a friction sway bar. Ez lift is rated at 1400 pounds. Travel trailer gross weight is 10,000 pounds

I am of the mind that weight distribution is the only real means of controlling sway.
Weight distribution.
Weigh the Fully loaded, (likely Improperly loaded) trailer, move stuff to the front to get proper tongue weight, drop it on the truck. If the truck squats, get a weight distributing hitch. CALL the manufactures tech line for advise: they are sitting there just waiting for YOU to call.

Joe

How is backing up with the Easy Lift Hitch? Do the bars get in the way of tight turns?

T-Man 1066
04-22-2023, 07:51 PM
Can't speak to towing travel trailers, but once I started pulling my 26' 7 ton gooseneck, tag trailers are only for class B (5000#) or smaller. Goosenecks tow like a dream, not sensitive to tongue weight.

Denton
04-22-2023, 09:09 PM
If my memory serves me, we used Reese sway bars. They worked really well. Smooth as silk on the road and no problem backing.
That was decades ago. I’m ignint about the new-fangled gadgets.

red442joe
04-22-2023, 09:42 PM
How is backing up with the Easy Lift Hitch? Do the bars get in the way of tight turns?

No problem. You can jack-knife the trailer a full ninety degrees.
The bars don't get in the way on turns; you set up the hitch so when the bars are loaded, the ends are at or below the bottom of the trailer frame. You leave plenty of length to the chains(you'll know what that neans when you set one up)
The only real problem I saw with the easy lift was people set the chains too short, and set the loaf transfer too high.
You can tighten the chains so much that you will unload the back of the truck!(too much weight to the front).

Joe

Ricekila
04-22-2023, 11:03 PM
And on the other side of the planet ---- I'm having a receiver installed - ( I just about can't do anything anymore ) on my 2014 Patriot 4 banger ----- now I gotta find a light rickshaw to tow ----- its gotta be real lite -- LOL

Sasquatch
04-23-2023, 12:27 AM

As Joe said there are no problems backing. Only thing I've found is removing the EZ lift (or at least loosening it) when pulling into campgrounds where you might have tight turns. I snapped a ball off last summer. Luckily didn't do any damage. Amazon delivered one right to the campsite.

This is the one I have.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-elite-weight-distribution-hitch-kit-1000-lbs.-52097.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=%7bCampaign%7d&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi46iBhDyARIsAE3nVrb9AyB2mS4zfM3_VyO1 EkQLSyDgohW9e61K32Erak8dVHUGR1kL4vAaAsRmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My rig is 30 ft. and probably about 10 ft high (not sure on height though).

Mad Trapper
04-23-2023, 04:49 AM
Its interesting, most of my life I've towed flat trailers with cargo being; 4 wheelers, tractors, the occasional jeep or car with no sway whatsoever. Our old travel trailer was only 9' tall and 5000 lbs. No sway at all anytime.

This new travel trailer swayed one time hugely when I was driving on a wet windy day and I hit the trailer control brake and got it back in check but it has been on my mind as I plan my western US trip.

Be careful Slippy.

I did farms, easy to get killed. Glad I had a few good mentors, or I'd be dead by now.

rstanek
04-23-2023, 05:06 AM
As Joe said there are no problems backing. Only thing I've found is removing the EZ lift (or at least loosening it) when pulling into campgrounds where you might have tight turns. I snapped a ball off last summer. Luckily didn't do any damage. Amazon delivered one right to the campsite.

This is the one I have.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-elite-weight-distribution-hitch-kit-1000-lbs.-52097.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=%7bCampaign%7d&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi46iBhDyARIsAE3nVrb9AyB2mS4zfM3_VyO1 EkQLSyDgohW9e61K32Erak8dVHUGR1kL4vAaAsRmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the same setup, never any issues, just use common sense when turning and backing, I have been using this system since 1996

Slippy
04-23-2023, 05:13 AM
Thanks Sas! You tow with your Tundra, right? Whats the GVWR on your rig?

This is the one I have.

Slippy
04-23-2023, 05:15 AM
Thanks rstanek, what size truck if you don't mind me asking?

I have the same setup, never any issues, just use common sense when turning and backing, I have been using this system since 1996

Slippy
04-23-2023, 05:16 AM
Thanks Joe, truck type if you don't mind me asking?

Weight distribution.

Joe

Slippy
04-23-2023, 05:24 AM
I'm with you on not doing lots of stuff that I used to always do! Hell, for the first time since our Sons left the house, I hired a damn lawn service to cut my grass/edge/maintain the landscape around the house. Broke my left foot in multiple places last fall and it still has not healed right. Looking at surgery later this year. Old Man Time is winning.:grim:

But on a more serious note, why are you putting a tow receiver on a Jeep Patriot?

And on the other side of the planet ---- I'm having a receiver installed - ( I just about can't do anything anymore ) on my 2014 Patriot 4 banger ----- now I gotta find a light rickshaw to tow ----- its gotta be real lite -- LOL

Mad Trapper
04-23-2023, 05:27 AM

Damm, I'm jelous. I'm running a 40 9N and a 52 fergy TO30.

Slippy
04-23-2023, 05:48 AM
Damm, I'm jelous. I'm running a 40 9N and a 52 fergy TO30.

Mad, I need help from your scientific mind (Yeah I know you're more chemistry than math) but help me figure this shit out. Which one does the job better?

The Andersen hitch has chains as anti sway bars and steel brackets that attach to the trailer frame.

Install video. Also made in USA if that still matters anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXScZUEVcrc

The Camco Eaz Lift has chains coming from trailer frame and bars acting as anti-sway. Made in China;

Install video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skdJ7SXNKP4

Chiefster23
04-23-2023, 05:51 AM
Slippy! NO CHINESE SHIT!

Ricekila
04-23-2023, 08:03 AM
But on a more serious note, why are you putting a tow receiver on a Jeep Patriot?

Look at the basket ---- which I replaced with a .50 Cal ammo box ----- every time I go into a store ----- every body just backs away --- cuts down on my waiting time -- LL

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/19-June-2.JPG?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/19-June-2.JPG?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

Now I gotta find shop to camo wrap it - in woodland green --

There's a guy in town that carries his Wife's power chair on the bumper of his Jeep Compose ---- if he can do it ?

Slippy
04-23-2023, 08:08 AM
Good move with the 50 cal ammo can instead of the basket.

Get you some decal flames and slap it on the scooter for bonus points. Ape hanger handle bars for the win!

Look at the basket ---- which I replaced with a .50 Cal ammo box ----- every time I go into a store ----- every body just backs away --- cuts down on my waiting time -- LL

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/19-June-2.JPG?
width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/19-June-2.JPG?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

Now I gotta find shop to camo wrap in - in woodland green --

Ricekila
04-23-2023, 08:15 AM
I draw the line at the ammo box & the flags ( pic coming after it stops raining ) --- I dont wanna nigger-ise it too much -- LOL

Box of frogs
04-23-2023, 08:16 AM
Hey Rice
I saw this license plate in town and Jooooo came to mind.
Add this to your scooter

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/19-June-2.JPG?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v667/RICEKILA/19-June-2.JPG?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

Now I gotta find shop to camo wrap in - in woodland green --

There's a guy in town that carries his Wife's power chair on the bumper of his Jeep Compose ---- if he can do it ?

Prepared One
04-23-2023, 08:16 AM
I'm with you on not doing lots of stuff that I used to always do! Hell, for the first time since our Sons left the house, I hired a damn lawn service to cut my grass/edge/maintain the landscape around the house. Broke my left foot in multiple places last fall and it still has not healed right. Looking at surgery later this year. Old Man Time is winning.:grim:

Sadly, old man time always wins my friend.

Slippy
04-23-2023, 08:34 AM
I draw the line at the ammo box & the flags ( pic coming after it stops raining ) --- I dont wanna nigger-ise it too much -- LOL

I, sometimes, have moments of "non-clarity or maybe clarity, I don't know which.

This is one of them; Maybe WE are going about this culture war wrong? Maybe if ALL of us start to identify as Niggers, Spics, or LGBTQTFU+++ or make up our own wild ass bullshit, we can put an end to this nonsense?

Chiefster23
04-23-2023, 08:38 AM
I, sometimes, have moments of "non-clarity or maybe clarity, I don't know which.

This is one of them; Maybe WE are going about this culture war wrong? Maybe if ALL of us start to identify as Niggers, Spics, or LGBTQTFU+++ or make up our own wild ass bullshit, we can put an end to this nonsense?

But first we would have to re-register as democrats

rstanek
04-23-2023, 08:51 AM
Thanks rstanek, what size truck if you don't mind me asking?

2015 Chev Silverado 3500 HD ,6.0, single rear wheel

Box of frogs
04-23-2023, 08:58 AM

Put away the bourbon and take a nap.
You know none of us could pull that horse shit off longer than five minutes.

I was at a sensitivity and understanding class for church because it was mandatory for members of the vestry.
After I was asked to give my opinion on the topic I was surprised to find after the break nobody returned to sit with me at our little table. One snowflake had a meltdown and asked the instructor if he could establish safe words for the rest of the day because I had given her heart palpitations with my hateful words.
BoF

Chiefster23
04-23-2023, 09:19 AM
Safe words! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. LOL. Ya should have doubled down and give the old girl a heart attack.

Slippy
04-23-2023, 09:44 AM
Why would a church have a sensitivity and understanding class?

And the fact that you got shunned for your truthful views. The Bible is about Truth. Jesus was not tolerant.

This is insanity.

Put away the bourbon and take a nap.
You know none of us could pull that horse shit off longer than five minutes.

I was at a sensitivity and understanding class for church because it was mandatory for members of the vestry.
After I was asked to give my opinion on the topic I was surprised to find after the break nobody returned to sit with me at our little table. One snowflake had a meltdown and asked the instructor if he could establish safe words for the rest of the day because I had given her heart palpitations with my hateful words.
BoF

Box of frogs
04-23-2023, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately the Episcopal church has gone woke before woke was a thing
What was once the most attended church in the USA has much like Budweiser, driven off its core in the name of inclusion.
The Big E has a network of Bishops who in turn have priests from each diocese in their region who report through them. The Bishop has a lot of latitude to set agendas. In the North Georgia diocese the Bishop is located in Buckhead, Atlanta.
He is the cat who thought it was a fine idea for all the vestry and layperson under his authority to attend such foolishness.
I have been lucky up until now that even though we have an extremely liberal Bishop the actual priest at our church has been a conservative. At least as conservative as they could be and still preach the word.
They left politics and church politics out of the pulpit and preached a gospel message from Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John.
When we moved to the farm a couple of years ago. We were not so lucky. The Episcopal church here is a LGTBQ celebrating mess. I have not attended a regular service here in months. I need to get off my sorry ass and start finding a new church home. I believe it’s time to part ways with the Episcopal religion.
BoF

Now…. Get back to talking about hitches.

Why would a church have a sensitivity and understanding class?

And the fact that you got shunned for your truthful views. The Bible is about Truth. Jesus was not tolerant.

This is insanity.

Slippy
04-23-2023, 10:46 AM
Thanks BOF

Back to weight distribution hitches...

Anybody see the pros and cons Andersen Hitches vs Camco Eaz Lift?

Ricekila
04-23-2023, 11:04 AM

Lately -- I've been identifying as an - Aardvark - the local ant eater society thinks I'm crazy ---- pricks !

Sasquatch
04-23-2023, 11:34 AM

67-72.

red442joe
04-24-2023, 08:21 PM
Thanks Joe, truck type if you don't mind me asking?

I have a '71 GMC 3/4 ton, 330 Olds, Sagiaw 4-speed, 3.56 axle, pulling a 36' two car trailer I designed and built.
Trailer is 1900#, open center, four rail, 32' deck, 4' tongue, 2-5/16ths ball, 102" wide, two 6k# axles, brakes on both axles, 235/85-16 E rated tires, with 7' aluminum ramps.
The axles are on a sliding subframe that moves 18".
With no rear bumper I can jack-knife well beyond 90°.
Built to take two race cars out to the street drags.
Where ever the truck can make a u-turn, I can spin the trailer around. I enjoyed taking it through the fast food drive throughs.
I got my Sister doing dealer trades for the tow company, behind a '99 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins.
That's how she got into driving truck, just passed her million miles with Marten, about a million before that.
I pulled about 150k worth of new Lexus on the Ohio turnpike running with some flatbed wreckers one night, at 100 mph. They wanted to go faster!
Anywho....the EZ Lift has been ZERO trouble. Heaviest I've been is scaled at 9.5k on the GMC with 11.5k on the trailer.

Joe

Slippy
04-24-2023, 08:39 PM
Awesome setup! How many miles on the '71 GMC?

I have a '71 GMC 3/4 ton, 330 Olds, Sagiaw 4-speed, 3.56 axle, pulling a 36' two car trailer I designed and built.
Trailer is 1900#, open center, four rail, 32' deck, 4' tongue, 2-5/16ths ball, 102" wide, two 6k# axles, brakes on both axles, 235/85-16 E rated tires, with 7' aluminum ramps.
The axles are on a sliding subframe that moves 18".
With no rear bumper I can jack-knife well beyond 90°.
Built to take two race cars out to the street drags.
Where ever the truck can make a u-turn, I can spin the trailer around. I enjoyed taking it through the fast food drive throughs.
I got my Sister doing dealer trades for the tow company, behind a '99 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins.
That's how she got into driving truck, just passed her million miles with Marten, about a million before that.
I pulled about 150k worth of new Lexus on the Ohio turnpike running with some flatbed wreckers one night, at 100 mph. They wanted to go faster!
Anywho....the EZ Lift has been ZERO trouble. Heaviest I've been is scaled at 9.5k on the GMC with 11.5k on the trailer.

Joe

Slippy
06-02-2023, 06:34 AM
After plenty of research...I ordered the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch and everything arrived in full plus set of instructions. All of the components looked to be higher quality and heavier gauge steel than the ones that I was able to put my hands on.

Will do a review of the install later.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/

Slippy
06-06-2023, 06:18 PM
All the parts looked to be of high quality. Installation was fairly simple but took a few minutes, the video helped.

Taking a trip tomorrow with the travel trailer, will provide feedback!

T-Man 1066
06-06-2023, 07:48 PM
All the parts looked to be of high quality. Installation was fairly simple but took a few minutes, the video helped.

Taking a trip tomorrow with the travel trailer, will provide feedback!

Where to?

Slippy
06-07-2023, 05:14 AM
Where to?

Northwest Arkansas, Southwest Missouri.

T-Man 1066
06-07-2023, 07:00 AM
Good deal. Love that area, got alot of family on both mine and T-Woman's side in NE to central AR.

Let us know how it tows..

Slippy
06-07-2023, 08:11 PM
Good deal. Love that area, got alot of family on both mine and T-Woman's side in NE to central AR.

Let us know how it tows..

Made it to a Army Corp of Engineering Lake in North Mississippi.

The weight distribution hitch made a nice difference in towing the camper especially when 18 wheelers passed us or we made a curve with too much speed.

Also had to hard brake one time on the interstate when some douchebag tried to cross 3 lanes and exit in front of me and no movement by the camper at all. No harm no foul

I don't know if the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch is any better than others but I'd rather tow a camper with one than without one.

Relaxing on gum'mint land;

Slippy
06-11-2023, 07:54 AM
After running thru the Ozark Mountain winding roads conclusion is that the Andersen Weight Distribution Sway Control Hitch is a winner! Get you one if you are in need!

Nicer view this am! HA