PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat ToolCat-Why The Hell Not?

Slippy
05-28-2023, 10:49 AM
As I ponder the meaning of owning land and the joys, sorrows, pluses and minuses associated with it, I realize that equipment matters. Duh...:thumb:

My compact John Deere tractor (35HP) is adequate at best.

But...Being "adequate at best" is no way to go thru life?

AMIRITE or AM-I-RITE?

I've been researching the Bobcat Toolcat for dang near 5 years...Why Should I or Why Should I Not?

Enlighten me please?

https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipment/toolcat

https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipment/toolcat/uw53

Slippy
05-28-2023, 10:53 AM

Sparkyprep
05-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Don't know much about it. BUT, it looks like a great little machine!

Slippy
05-28-2023, 11:12 AM
Most of the work that I do on my tractor is bush hogging/mowing road maintenance and moving stuff around. Everything else I either hire or do without.

Best time to bush hog/mow is after or during a light rain. Keeps the dust and debris down so an enclosed cab is nice. Also its HOT AS AFRICA in Alabama from June to October. June to October is when shit grows.

I'm old and getting older, thank you Lord! So why not do shit in comfort?

61 HP
AirConditioned Cab
Multiple Accessories
Dang near 6000 lbs

MountainGirl
05-28-2023, 11:39 AM
I dont know nuthin about this or most anything else.
BUT - imo - all things considered -
The WORST thing to do in this very moment is to have a shit-pot full of money in the bank,
instead of buying what you need or even just want, NOW.
Snooze ya lose.

Slippy
05-28-2023, 11:52 AM
I dont know nuthin about this or most anything else.
BUT - imo - all things considered -
The WORST thing to do in this very moment is to have a shit-pot full of money in the bank,
instead of buying what you need or even just want, NOW.
Snooze ya lose.

My Old Man, been dead now for nearly 20 years. We never had deep conversations about the meaning of life or shit like that, but I sensed in his last 10 years or so of living, that he really didn't "LIVE".

My brother and I chuckle about all the shit that we do, that Dad never did. And he certainly never did shit after he turned 60-ish.

Me? I do lots of shit and I enjoy it!

T-Man 1066
05-28-2023, 12:18 PM
One big positive is that it is new, or if used, pretty much new, so you spend time using it, not fixing it. Cab is super nice to have.

I've got a late 80's skidloader, and a late 50's JD 420C trackloader. Trackloader is getting a full hydraulic overhaul. Completely rebuilt cylinders, new tubes, piston rods, the pistons I custom machined so they would take modern seals and wearbands, not the 3 piece jobber with leather seals. Heads I am machining for modern style seals and rod wipers. Shit canning the two lever control system for a joystick, adding auxiliary valve and ports so I could eventually use a brush grapple, or any other live attachment. Modifying the end plate from bastard JD to common bobcat style quick-attach so I can share implements with the skidloader. The 420 tracks do not have grousers so it is very gentle on the lawn or road, at the sacrifice of some traction. at 9000-ish pounds, it still somewhat useful but I can move it on my gooseneck.

Got off on a tangent, but what I was getting at is that old machinery you better be prepared to work on. That is why I got rid of my 861 Ford Backhoe / loader, flat ass wore out.

I can see where you will be miserable the day you write the check for it, and then grin from ear to ear every day after.

T-Man has no problem spending Slippy's money, DO IT!!! :beerchug:

Slippy
05-28-2023, 01:47 PM
Buy once, cry once!

One big positive is that it is new, or if used, pretty much new, so you spend time using it, not fixing it. Cab is super nice to have.

I've got a late 80's skidloader, and a late 50's JD 420C trackloader. Trackloader is getting a full hydraulic overhaul. Completely rebuilt cylinders, new tubes, piston rods, the pistons I custom machined so they would take modern seals and wearbands, not the 3 piece jobber with leather seals. Heads I am machining for modern style seals and rod wipers. Shit canning the two lever control system for a joystick, adding auxiliary valve and ports so I could eventually use a brush grapple, or any other live attachment. Modifying the end plate from bastard JD to common bobcat style quick-attach so I can share implements with the skidloader. The 420 tracks do not have grousers so it is very gentle on the lawn or road, at the sacrifice of some traction. at 9000-ish pounds, it still somewhat useful but I can move it on my gooseneck.

Got off on a tangent, but what I was getting at is that old machinery you better be prepared to work on. That is why I got rid of my 861 Ford Backhoe / loader, flat ass wore out.

I can see where you will be miserable the day you write the check for it, and then grin from ear to ear every day after.

T-Man has no problem spending Slippy's money, DO IT!!! :beerchug:

Slippy
05-28-2023, 02:39 PM
Today's modern compact tractors are fairly low maintenance machines. Other than having a computer code error a few years back, my JD has had very few issues.

If a new machine gives me 15 years of little to no maintenance I'll consider myself a lucky man.

Inor
05-28-2023, 02:55 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Bobcat! It looks like loads of fun and useful besides. (pardon the pun). As long as Mrs Slippy signs off on it, hell yeah! Pull the trigger.

MountainGirl
05-28-2023, 04:48 PM
^^ I like that Mrs Slippy part. :bounce:

Slippy
05-28-2023, 05:48 PM
Mrs Slippy is pretty much OK with all of our big ticket purchases. I'm pretty sure she'll be good with it especially if it shuts me up complaining about not have what I need when I need it!

Funny story about pistol caliber carbines and my recent acquisition of one in 10mm and one in 9mm...

I was cleaning my AR15's after a weekend of shooting with our sons and Mrs S took a look at my stable of 5.56 rifles and said something like "No more AR15's for us, I think we have it covered".

Thats when the BS (Brilliance of Slippy) kicked in and I replied, "Yes Ma'am, you're right! That's why we need to focus on AR9 and one in 10mm since we have a metric shit ton of rounds in those calibers!" I gave her a sweet little peck on the mouth and muttered something about her being the best wife ever and thus began my quest for 2 more rifles!

(What a Sucker she is!). :blow:

You cannot go wrong with a Bobcat! It looks like loads of fun and useful besides. (pardon the pun). As long as Mrs Slippy signs off on it, hell yeah! Pull the trigger.

^^ I like that Mrs Slippy part. :bounce:

Prepared One
05-28-2023, 06:06 PM
Can one have to many AR's????

Chiefster23
05-29-2023, 05:49 AM
Can one have to many AR's????

NO!

Box of frogs
05-29-2023, 06:18 AM
Looks like you’d be giving up all PTO functionality with the Toolcat.
Is this a in place of tractor or in addition to tractor purchase.

If you’re looking for more functionality from the front of your current tractor you should consider a third function valve and front end attachments.
I have an older Kubota 35hp and I recently did this modification so I could run a grapple and a front end mower on what I already own.
If you’re looking for more push power 61hp on the Toolcat is going to work a lot hard than your tractor.

I can dig where you’re coming from about working in the heat. I start bush hogging about 7am so I’m not in the sun.

Slippy
05-29-2023, 06:50 AM
Looks like you’d be giving up all PTO functionality with the Toolcat.
Is this a in place of tractor or in addition to tractor purchase.

If you’re looking for more functionality from the front of your current tractor you should consider a third function valve and front end attachments.
I have an older Kubota 35hp and I recently did this modification so I could run a grapple and a front end mower on what I already own.
If you’re looking for more push power 61hp on the Toolcat is going to work a lot hard than your tractor.

I can dig where you’re coming from about working in the heat. I start bush hogging about 7am so I’m not in the sun.

Excellent suggestion on the tractor modification.

However note that the Toolcat UW53 does have a Cat One 3 Pt hitch and 25 HP PTO. Bush hogging with the 3 pt hitch and a rough mower or attaching a front end bobcat mower are options.

The front attachments that you can operate on the Bobcat for mowing etc are tried and true and the versatility is crazy.

Box of frogs
05-29-2023, 07:09 AM
Excellent suggestion on the tractor modification.

However note that the Toolcat UW53 does have a Cat One 3 Pt hitch and 25 HP PTO. Bush hogging with the 3 pt hitch and a rough mower or attaching a front end bobcat mower are options.

The front attachments that you can operate on the Bobcat for mowing etc are tried and true and the versatility is crazy.

Agreed on the Bobcat front end cutter. Extremely powerful. I hired a local guy to help me clear some woods with his machine. Very impressive, although he had a rotary cutter and a drum head cutter would have done a cleaner job.

I didn’t read through the attached link’s you posted for the full features. I saw the dump bed pictures and just figured there was no rear PTO.
Too early to rad the fine print.

Slippy
12-09-2023, 07:37 AM
Bobcat Toolcat Update;

I visited 3 Bobcat dealers to discuss ordering the Bobcat Toolcat UW53 and trading in my tractor+implements...

Conclusion; These 3 Bobcat Dealers do not want to sell a Bobcat Toolcat to a private individual! All 3 immediately said that they cannot get the inventory of a Toolcat, some nonsense that they don't have an allocation.

None of them are interested in pursuing it further and only 1 dealer gave me a written quote and never followed up. $82,567 freakin' dollars! :tool:

Looks like I will go the conventional skid-steer with wheels route...

Slippy
12-09-2023, 07:37 AM
Dupe

Slippy
12-09-2023, 07:39 AM
I'm taking T-Man's advise and going new, at this point in my life, I do not want to spend time working on something or hauling something back and forth to a dealer for service

The question now is which brand?
Kubota? Local Dealer is very nice. Own a Kubota UTV
Bobcat? (Local Dealers are assholes)
JCB Local Dealer is also very nice but no experience

Dwight55
12-09-2023, 07:56 AM

The alternative to that is have it delivered when Mrs. Slippy is not home . . . put it in a far corner of the closet area of the barn . . . drag it out in about 3 months . . . and if she comments negatively . . . just look annoyed . . . and say "Honey . . . I've had this for months on end . . . YOU JUST don't remember" :mocking::mocking:

Works on dresses and ladies new coats . . . should work on a Bobcat

May God bless,
Dwight

Chiefster23
12-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Dear Slippy,
Buy it! And then, can I borrow it?

Slippy
12-09-2023, 08:55 AM
The alternative to that is have it delivered when Mrs. Slippy is not home . . . put it in a far corner of the closet area of the barn . . . drag it out in about 3 months . . . and if she comments negatively . . . just look annoyed . . . and say "Honey . . . I've had this for months on end . . . YOU JUST don't remember" :mocking::mocking:

Works on dresses and ladies new coats . . . should work on a Bobcat

May God bless,
Dwight

BRILLIANT!

Edited To Add; I hit the jackpot with Mrs Slippy, she already is 100% on board with a skid steer purchase. Or pretty much any purchase I recommend.

Partially because I have trained her over the past 4 decades, partially because she has no real concept of legal tender and Slippy Family Monetary Policy! And partially because she is probably chasing butterflies and has no real concern for most things I think are "concerning"...:hippie:

:biglaugh:

Slippy
12-09-2023, 08:56 AM
Dear Slippy,
Buy it! And then, can I borrow it?

Yes and Yes!

But knowing me, I'll research skid steers until I'm blue in the face....

Inor
12-09-2023, 09:02 AM
I'm taking T-Man's advise and going new, at this point in my life, I do not want to spend time working on something or hauling something back and forth to a dealer for service

The question now is which brand?
Kubota? Local Dealer is very nice. Own a Kubota UTV
Bobcat? (Local Dealers are assholes)
JCB Local Dealer is also very nice but no experience

I expect buying a skid-steer is a lot like buying a tractor... That is, the quality of the actual machine is important (obviously) but equally important is your relationship with the dealer. Given just the info you have posted here, I'd go with the Kuboter.

That is something I wish I had thought more about when I bought my tractor. I LOVE the tractor but the dealer is an ass gremlin! Unfortunately, the next closest dealers are in Phoenix (about 4 hours away) or Alba-Turkey (about 6 hours away).

Slippy
12-09-2023, 09:13 AM
I expect buying a skid-steer is a lot like buying a tractor... That is, the quality of the actual machine is important (obviously) but equally important is your relationship with the dealer. Given just the info you have posted here, I'd go with the Kuboter.

That is something I wish I had thought more about when I bought my tractor. I LOVE the tractor but the dealer is an ass gremlin! Unfortunately, the next closest dealers are in Phoenix (about 4 hours away) or Alba-Turkey (about 6 hours away).

Totally agree. I have a relationship with my local John Deere dealer but it's been a bit rocky. They are slow, inefficient and I have to drive into a larger "city" and traffic sucks, especially with a 24' trailer. But JD is pretty good quality.

I started a new thread on skid steers FYI!

shootbrownelk
12-09-2023, 09:20 AM
Yes and Yes!

But knowing me, I'll research skid steers until I'm blue in the face....

What type of gun rack is going in the Bobcat Slippy?

Slippy
12-09-2023, 09:28 AM
What type of gun rack is going in the Bobcat Slippy?

Ha! I'm already researching that one!

Ceiling mount for AR Pistol probably...

T-Man 1066
12-09-2023, 10:30 AM
Slippy, I am assuming you are using the skidsteer for personal use, not for hire? If so, any of them should do more than you will ever need. I also say pick your machine by the dealer, not by the brand.

Are you going to need a trailer to haul this around, are you going to be helping friends and family, or is it only used on your property?

Be prepared for your buddies and neighbors to come out of the woodwork and need "Help", unless you are like me, most of my neighbors and friends already have loader tractors, skidloaders, or excavators.

Slippy
12-09-2023, 10:55 AM
Slippy, I am assuming you are using the skidsteer for personal use, not for hire? If so, any of them should do more than you will ever need. I also say pick your machine by the dealer, not by the brand.

Are you going to need a trailer to haul this around, are you going to be helping friends and family, or is it only used on your property?

Be prepared for your buddies and neighbors to come out of the woodwork and need "Help", unless you are like me, most of my neighbors and friends already have loader tractors, skidloaders, or excavators.

Good stuff T-Man! PS moved this over to the skid steer thread!

Personal Use Only! Road and trail maintenance, mowing, clearing and some dirt moving/maintenance at my range and near the house. Will add a 60" cutter and a Landplane in addition to the toothed bucket.

My small tractor cannot handle the shit I need done regularly and I'm starting to feel unsafe pushing the boundaries that a small tractor can do. Steeper hills than a tractor can handle.

Already have a 14k equipment trailer.

I've trained my neighbors not to ask me shit! We like each other but we don't hang out with them and certainly don't borrow tools or time from each other.

Dwight55
12-09-2023, 12:00 PM

That's why I have a shed full of tools . . . many are duplicates . . .

I'm also adept at "googling" . . . and will first look at it and take a whack at fixing it.

Next comes "Where did I put that owner's manual ??" . . . and give it a go

Next comes the written thingamabobs on the internet . . . usually pages and pages of useless info until you find that little gem you needed.

Next to last comes the "Youtube Express" . . . 10 to 20 youtube accounts . . . each having the final and best answer to your question. Ya just gotta be careful there . . . some guys there have been known to shoot themselve in the foot . . . with their own gun . . . on camera . . . while doing a "This is the best way to do this" youtube adventure.

And of course last . . . search Google for a dealer . . . and check the list for the knuckleheads you've already visited . . . find a new one or an honest (?) one.

May God bless,
Dwight

Slippy
12-09-2023, 12:08 PM
That's why I have a shed full of tools . . . many are duplicates . . .

I'm also adept at "googling" . . . and will first look at it and take a whack at fixing it.

Next comes "Where did I put that owner's manual ??" . . . and give it a go

Next comes the written thingamabobs on the internet . . . usually pages and pages of useless info until you find that little gem you needed.

Next to last comes the "Youtube Express" . . . 10 to 20 youtube accounts . . . each having the final and best answer to your question. Ya just gotta be careful there . . . some guys there have been known to shoot themselve in the foot . . . with their own gun . . . on camera . . . while doing a "This is the best way to do this" youtube adventure.

And of course last . . . search Google for a dealer . . . and check the list for the knuckleheads you've already visited . . . find a new one or an honest (?) one.

May God bless,
Dwight

Nailed it Pastor D!

Box of frogs
12-09-2023, 01:26 PM
I've trained my neighbors not to ask me shit! We like each other but we don't hang out with them and certainly don't borrow tools or time from each other.

Exactly! Borrowing tools is for the weak. If you need it go buy it or pay a man that owns one to do the job for you.

In our previous neighborhood the guy in the house across the street from ours saw me using my chain saw to cut out some dead trees.
He saunters over and says, Hey that’s a nice saw. Do you think I could borrow it when you’re done?
Box of frog’s pauses to take sip from his yard work beer. I ask him why don’t you own one?
Neighbor replied, Well they’re kinda expensive.
Box of frogs takes another sip, Well answer me this. If you can’t afford a saw of your own how are you going to replace mine if I loan it to you and you fuck it up.
Neighbor stares at me for a second then leaves.
Box of frogs finishes beer and resumes cutting.

Slippy
12-09-2023, 01:29 PM
Exactly! Borrowing tools is for the weak. If you need it go buy it or pay a man that owns one to do the job for you.

In our previous neighborhood the guy in the house across the street from ours saw me using my chain saw to cut out some dead trees.
He saunters over and says, Hey that’s a nice saw. Do you think I could borrow it when you’re done?
Box of frog’s pauses to take sip from his yard work beer. I ask him why don’t you own one?
Box of frogs takes another sip, Well answer me this. If you can’t afford a saw of your own how are you going to replace mine if I loan it to you and you fuck it up.

Brilliant!

shootbrownelk
12-09-2023, 06:07 PM

Was he a good neighbor before he started hating your guts? :chainsaw:

Box of frogs
12-09-2023, 09:00 PM
Was he a good neighbor before he started hating your guts? :chainsaw:

Box of Frogs mission on earth is not to make friends with the neighbors but to separate the dipsticks from the real men.
There are a lot of dipsticks out there.
BoF

shootbrownelk
12-10-2023, 10:00 AM
Box of Frogs mission on earth is not to make friends with the neighbors but to separate the dipsticks from the real men.
There are a lot of dipsticks out there.
BoF

Boy ain't that the truth. The neighbor to the east of me is an inconsiderate asshole.