PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Ford Super Duty 6.7 Diesel-Is It Worth It?

Slippy
06-18-2023, 05:37 AM
I continue to hear how great the new Ford 2023 Super Duty line of trucks is and how good the 6.7 Diesel Power Plant is.

Yeah they're expensive but then again everything is. And I don't think trucks are going to get any less expensive in the next few years.

Thoughts?
Disclaimer; I currently own a 2020 Ford Super Duty F250 Gasser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0PbNi0JtBY

Box of frogs
06-18-2023, 06:27 AM
No
90k into a product that only depreciates is not a wise spend.

If you could tie it back to an asset list for a LLC or other tax shelter then there would be “some” recoupment on that hefty price tag but even then it’s a loosing asset over time.

Box of frogs
06-18-2023, 06:50 AM
https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/auto-and-vehicles/calculate-your-vehicle-depreciation

https://www.omnicalculator.com/finance/car-depreciation

Do the math for yourself

Negative 9k the minute you sign the paperwork
-17k in the first year
Over a 7 years span -63k

T-Man 1066
06-18-2023, 07:43 AM
I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7. Bought it new with 26 miles on it, now about 194k. Motor is really good. Emission issues are all I have had problems with, DEF heater, EGR about 3 times, that type of shit. Said it before, emission controls dont belong on diesels. Fuk you enviornMENTALists! I do have an oil leak now, have the mechanic fix that next time it goes in. Transmission been flawless, Mine has manual lockout hubs and have had corrosion issues where they wont budge, hellinois salt. I do plow a couple farms and have since day 1.

As far as the argument, is a 80-90K truck a good investment, not really.

If the argument is well I'm buying a truck, the the ford a good choice, I would recommend. Mine was an early 6.7, they should be better now.

Slippy
06-18-2023, 09:07 AM
First off, which one of you knuckleheads actually thinks Slippy makes sound and rational financial decisions! I plan to die as I "write my last check" and hope our Sons are happy with all of our stuff and can say at my funeral, "Dad Enjoyed Life"!!!

Sometimes you have to put the financial calculator away and think about what makes your life experiences the best you can make them?

:whitetrash:

But enough of that nonsense. Some specs to consider;

The 6.7 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel generates 475 horsepower at 2600 rpm and 1050 ft/lbs of torque at 1600 rpm. Nearly 4k payload and 22k towing capability.

Those are spectacular numbers.

Plus 0-60 in 6 seconds or something stupid fast like that.

Box of frogs
06-18-2023, 09:28 AM
Sometimes you have to put the financial calculator away and think about what makes your life experiences the best you can make them?

Perhaps I should had started my reply with Hey Slippy it’s your $$ and you earned it, spend it how you see fit …….. “but if it were me”

I look at brand new vehicles as a liability and not an asset. They’re expensive, lose their value too fast, and require money for upkeep.
It wasn’t always that way. I have bought a few cars and trucks at the dealership but I just can’t see it ever again. I tend to buy 3-5 yr old vehicles and let some other sucker take that big depreciation hit (not calling you a sucker…. Well maybe a little bit)

I had a neighbor who loved new cars, would trade his in every two years. Used to leave the sticker in the window for weeks when he brought them home….. go figure.

BoF

Slippy
06-18-2023, 09:31 AM
Perhaps I should had started my reply with Hey Slippy it’s your $$ and you earned it, spend it how you see fit …….. “but if it were me”

I look at brand new vehicles as a liability and not an asset. They’re expensive, lose their value too fast, and require money for upkeep.
It wasn’t always that way. I have bought a few cars and trucks at the dealership but I just can’t see it ever again. I tend to buy 3-5 yr old vehicles and let some other sucker take that big depreciation hit (not calling you a sucker…. Well maybe a little bit)

I had a neighbor who loved new cars, would trade his in every two years. Used to leave the sticker in the window for weeks when he brought them home….. go figure.

BoF

Can't argue with you at all! But sometimes you just gotta say;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvOmqYk8JOk

Slippy
06-18-2023, 09:38 AM
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/super-duty

Box of frogs
06-18-2023, 10:42 AM
So….
When are you taking delivery. Lol.

Inor
06-18-2023, 01:51 PM
I was drooling over that EXACT truck 2 weeks ago.

If I were in your situation where I could write a good chunk of the price off, I would do it in a heartbeat. In my case, I think the IRS might have an issue if I tried to tell them a dumbass computer programmer NEEDS a 3/4 ton truck to do my job... But...

(Although I do believe all vehicles, new and used, will be getting cheaper soon.)

Slippy
06-18-2023, 03:12 PM
I was drooling over that EXACT truck 2 weeks ago.

If I were in your situation where I could write a good chunk of the price off, I would do it in a heartbeat. In my case, I think the IRS might have an issue if I tried to tell them a dumbass computer programmer NEEDS a 3/4 ton truck to do my job... But...

(Although I do believe all vehicles, new and used, will be getting cheaper soon.)

I'm thinking about this truck pretty dang hard! :thinking:

MountainGirl
06-18-2023, 03:22 PM

Thinkin just gets you into trouble. At least it does us. :biglaugh:
Just go buy the dang truck!! :bounce:

shootbrownelk
06-18-2023, 08:17 PM

I don't know if the IRS in collusion with various states representatives and the agricultural community still does it, but I was informed that if a Rancher/Farmer buys a new truck and pays cash for it, it can be completely written off on their Federal taxes. This was in Wyoming, anyone ever heard of that?

Slippy
06-19-2023, 03:51 AM
I don't know if the IRS in collusion with various states representatives and the agricultural community still does it, but I was informed that if a Rancher/Farmer buys a new truck and pays cash for it, it can be completely written off on their Federal taxes. This was in Wyoming, anyone ever heard of that?

Section 179 of the federal tax code allows for equipment deduction for businesses. State to state it will vary I'm sure. Vehicles apply but with some limits. At least in 2022 and previous years. 2023 may be different. I'm looking into that today, matter of fact, EFF the IRS...:bullseye:

BucketBack
06-19-2023, 06:39 AM
Brass starts falling @ 8:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgzYzGSTUv4&t=2s

shootbrownelk
06-19-2023, 08:38 AM
Section 179 of the federal tax code allows for equipment deduction for businesses. State to state it will vary I'm sure. Vehicles apply but with some limits. At least in 2022 and previous years. 2023 may be different. I'm looking into that today, matter of fact, EFF the IRS...:bullseye:

I hope it works out for you Slippy, I sure see a lot of new Ford King Ranch and 1 ton super duties with brand new aluminum horse trailers attached to them on weekends at the fairgrounds and at the Petroleum Club. Looks like the poor Ranchers are living hand to mouth these days. :shocked:

red442joe
06-19-2023, 12:32 PM
" if a Rancher/Farmer buys a new truck and pays cash for it" they prolly gonna get a visit from an armed IRS agent...

Joe

Box of frogs
06-19-2023, 12:51 PM

179 deductions are my best friend in November and December.
I’ve bought equipment just to lower my tax profile with this clause.
You can take the entire purchase price in a single year versus depreciating.
BoF

shootbrownelk
06-19-2023, 06:00 PM
" if a Rancher/Farmer buys a new truck and pays cash for it" they prolly gonna get a visit from an armed IRS agent...

Joe

Doubtful, this is Wyoming after all. Ranchers are a protected and endangered species out here.

Slippy
06-24-2023, 10:14 PM
Decided, what the heck! Picked up the 2023 Ford F250 XLT 6.7 Diesel 4x4, swapped out my vintage Wyoming front license tag from my old truck...

Slapped an EV sticker on the rear bumper to mess with libtards and I'm good to go!

(Mrs Slippy thinks I'm an idiot! :offtopic:)

Inor
06-24-2023, 10:38 PM
I'm drooling! Congratulations!

MountainGirl
06-25-2023, 06:52 AM
Decided, what the heck! Picked up the 2023 Ford F250 XLT 6.7 Diesel 4x4, swapped out my vintage Wyoming front license tag from my old truck...

Slapped an EV sticker on the rear bumper to mess with libtards and I'm good to go!

YAY YOU !!! :getdown:

With all those trees around it, it almost looks dark green! :biglaugh:

Broncosfan
06-25-2023, 07:06 AM
Congrats Slippy! You only live once so enjoy the new truck!

shootbrownelk
06-25-2023, 07:06 AM

Wyoming county 21 Slippy? Park or Teton county?

Slippy
06-25-2023, 07:59 AM
YAY YOU !!! :getdown:

With all those trees around it, it almost looks dark green! :biglaugh:

Dark Blue and whatever magical dust Ford puts in their paint causes it to look dark green or sometimes black.

That was on my back road, I couldn't resist getting it home and running the truck thru a series of "things". I put it in 4WD High and Low and ran it around. Again, Mrs Slippy thinks I'm crazy.

Slippy
06-25-2023, 08:06 AM
Wyoming county 21 Slippy? Park or Teton county?

Weston County.

Been searching for property for 2 plus years in and around Weston and Crook counties. Between Newcastle and Sundance near SD state line. That's my sweet spot.

Damn grandkids have Mrs Slippy anchored to Alabama and I'm struggling to get her on board with a total move.

So our plan is a couple of acres near the Black Hills is perfect. As long as I have water, can shoot, have a nice view and very few neighbors I figure I can swing it for part of the year when I retire.

1 bedroom 2 bath cabin plus barn that has bunk room/small kitchen /1 bath is our plan.

Summers and Fall in Wyoming, Winters and Spring in Alabama.

Inor
06-25-2023, 08:40 AM

You're going to be a damn "Trailer Hen"?!?! (I thought we all raised you better than that!). HAHAHA!!!!

Slippy
06-25-2023, 09:05 AM
You're going to be a damn "Trailer Hen"?!?! (I thought we all raised you better than that!). HAHAHA!!!!

Yep, "I ain't right"! :ditto:

Its funny, most old people seek out the warm weather places. The older I get, the more I cannot freakin' stand the hot humid weather of the south. I am 10000000% convinced it is killing me.

Back to the truck;

More Horsepower (475 hp) than any other stock vehicle I have owned. I was cruising at 60mph on the interstate and hit the gas and rocketed to 90mph in no time flat. The 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel is a monster.

So far, 23.7 miles per gallon. Not that mpg is a huge deal to me but I was impressed.

The interior is upgraded from the 2020 models and the seats are very comfortable. I got the bucket seats with the center console and its very nice...nearly luxurious if I'm being frank...(Who is frank?)

The technology is OVERWHELMING! I've spent more time in the truck trying to learn all the features. It is crazy.

Plenty of head, shoulder and leg room. The 6.75' box is plenty big. I'll swap over a Cargo Glide system that I had in my old truck and maybe get a camper shell. Payload is 3700 lbs which is nuts. Towing capacity is 21600 lbs which is way more than I'll ever tow. Torque is 1050ft/lbs. Out freakin' standing numbers.

Prepared One
06-25-2023, 09:18 AM
Yep, "I ain't right"! :ditto:

Its funny, most old people seek out the warm weather places. The older I get, the more I cannot freakin' stand the hot humid weather of the south. I am 10000000% convinced it is killing me.

I have done both. Freezing your balls blue in the winter and melting your ass of in sweltering humidity and I can tell you I would have neither if I could manage it. I went for a ride in the general yesterday and came back exhausted, hot, and sweating. All I was doing was driving and drinking beer! Someplace right in the middle would be nice. But, MG and I are staying here at Ten Oaks. I guess I can do the heat for 4 or 5 months of the year, it's not like I am digging ditches or doing construction work in it. The rest of the year is really good, comparatively speaking.

T-Man 1066
06-25-2023, 01:01 PM
Good job on the new truck. Now just go to the barn grab a shovel, and just hit the side of the bed real good, give it it's first dent. You know, get it out of the way... :grim:

hawgrider
06-25-2023, 01:26 PM
Good job on the new truck. Now just go to the barn grab a shovel, and just hit the side of the bed real good, give it it's first dent. You know, get it out of the way... :grim:

Haha yeah the first boo boo is the worst!

Piratesailor
06-25-2023, 06:57 PM
Weston County.

Been searching for property for 2 plus years in and around Weston and Crook counties. Between Newcastle and Sundance near SD state line. That's my sweet spot.

Damn grandkids have Mrs Slippy anchored to Alabama and I'm struggling to get her on board with a total move.

So our plan is a couple of acres near the Black Hills is perfect. As long as I have water, can shoot, have a nice view and very few neighbors I figure I can swing it for part of the year when I retire.

1 bedroom 2 bath cabin plus barn that has bunk room/small kitchen /1 bath is our plan.

That is a perfect plan and one that I’ve been working on.

Slippy
06-25-2023, 08:40 PM

:uzi:

Slippy
06-30-2023, 07:06 PM
Spray In Bedliner and BedSlide added!

Waiting on the Leer Camper Shell Topper to arrive! Can't wait to put all my tools and shit back in the truck...feel nekk'ed without them!

Prepared One
07-01-2023, 08:24 AM
Spray In Bedliner and BedSlide added!

Waiting on the Leer Camper Shell Topper to arrive! Can't wait to put all my tools and shit back in the truck...feel nekk'ed without them!

Very cool. I always do the spray in bed liner but I have never seen the bed slide. I went with the spray in bed liner, tool box, and a fold down step tailgate so I can just walk up into the bed. These old knees thanked me.

Slippy
07-01-2023, 08:34 AM
Very cool. I always do the spray in bed liner but I have never seen the bed slide. I went with the spray in bed liner, tool box, and a fold down step tailgate so I can just walk up into the bed. These old knees thanked me.

I had a CargoGlide in my last truck and I'm a fan big time! Stuff that I rarely use go in the area closer to the cab and everyday stuff nearer to the tailgate. Pull the Bedslide out and it locks in place at intervals. Easy access as I am NOT climbing into the bed! HA!

Last truck has a Tonneau cover which is good but it doesn't allow for taller stuff like a generator to fit.

I've got a Leer Camper Shell on order and looking forward to that on our next few trips!

Prepared One
07-01-2023, 08:46 AM
I didn't opt for a cover. Some of my company trucks had covers but I could never find one that worked well for me.

T-Man 1066
07-01-2023, 09:34 AM
I had a CargoGlide in my last truck and I'm a fan big time! Stuff that I rarely use go in the area closer to the cab and everyday stuff nearer to the tailgate. Pull the Bedslide out and it locks in place at intervals. Easy access as I am NOT climbing into the bed! HA!

Last truck has a Tonneau cover which is good but it doesn't allow for taller stuff like a generator to fit.

I've got a Leer Camper Shell on order and looking forward to that on our next few trips!

What is the weight capacity on that cargo slide?

Slippy
07-01-2023, 09:56 AM
What is the weight capacity on that cargo slide?

1/2 Ton (1 k). I debated getting the 1 ton version but really didn't need that much.

I had a 1 k in my old truck and it was plenty even with my spare tire which I will keep under the bed in this truck. A while back, I weighed my stuff and it was well within the limit even with my generator which weighs 100lbs. Tools and totes (filled) only weigh about 350-400 lbs. Couple of luggage bags or gun cases/ammo cases don't add that much.

Plus, RATED CAPACITY is only a suggestion, right? HA!

shootbrownelk
07-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Weston County.

Better hurry Slippy, realtors are focusing on the Denver market. Denver escapees looking for a few acres in the Black Hills for retirement homes.

Slippy
08-23-2023, 05:47 AM

Camper top arrived! Will be nice to get all my stuff/tools/gadgets back in the truck!

Dwight55
08-23-2023, 08:43 AM
After that woke crap Ford did . . . I was not all too thrilled with them . . .

But the other day . . . there was a little video I ran across . . . late model trucks and some SUV's being crash tested.

They took the vehicle . . . backed it up to a solid concrete wall . . . then at 30 mph . . . plowed the front end . . . dead straight head on . . . with a big ugly white monster truck.

Chevrolets folded up like broken accordians . . . Dodge and Ford were both kind of the same . . . driver's compartment stayed intact was the most important part of it.

Funny thing was . . . Jeep did the hands down best in that little competition . . . rest were not driveable . . . not sure you could not have driven that Jeep home if you lived within a few miles. Most of the rest had what was left of the power trains pulled . . . and whatever was left was turned into a suitcase sized compressed pile of steel and plastic.

If I was buying a pickup . . . at this stage in my game . . . it would be a toy . . . not a work truck . . . and for sure . . . I would definitely do a Ford or Dodge.

AND IF . . . IF . . . IF . . . I was spending that kind of money . . . I think I'd go with the Ram . . . haven't had a ticket in a long time . . . if I got one . . . it would have to be for pulling a HUGE 50 or so ft wheelie with the RAM . . . in front of the OHP guy out on our local 4 lane . . . and then let him catch me in his pretty little grey Mustang . . .

https://www.tiktok.com/@bbm2.0_bmwx6/video/7259295975544491269?lang=en

May God bless,
Dwight