PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Vehicles For Your EMP Survival

hawgrider
02-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Thirty years ago, most of the cars used carburetors, and only a few people believed that electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is a real threat.

Nowadays, even NASA admits that EMP is one of those events we could not recover from: it would stop all infrastructures that sustain modern society which rely so much on electronics. No communication, to transportation, and no escape with your fancy new car out of the crowded urban jungle.

So if you are one of those readers who wish to consider EMP-resistance as a factor in selecting a bug-out vehicle, then you should not miss this article.
http://www.survivopedia.com/best-emp-bug-out-vehicles/

Arklatex
02-26-2015, 09:54 AM
I haven't heard of the CUCV before. A diesel blazer. Awesome. I'm gonna keep my eye out for one.

hawgrider
02-26-2015, 10:09 AM
I haven't heard of the CUCV before. A diesel blazer. Awesome. I'm gonna keep my eye out for one. I kinda like those old Dodge Power wagons they were Beasts!

Txwheels
02-26-2015, 10:24 AM
I keep on hand a Starter, Voltage regulators, ECM's, Injectors and Alternators for both of our vehicles. I keep them stored in a Faraday cage that I built about 10 years ago in my shop.
Additionally I made sure both of our vehicles have their electrical components grounded to a common chassis point witch itself is in a small Faraday cage and all wire is shielded.
Made these preps a long time ago.

Arklatex
02-26-2015, 10:29 AM
I have no vehicle preps for emp. If it happens I'll be on a bicycle until I can find a horse.

Hey wheels, can you post a pic of the Faraday cage? I am interested in making one myself. For now I have a steel feed bucket with a few layers of windshield screen cut to fit. It houses a Kindle, a handheld ham radio and 4 walkie talkies.

hawgrider
02-26-2015, 10:31 AM
I keep on hand a Starter, Voltage regulators, ECM's, Injectors and Alternators for both of our vehicles. I keep them stored in a Faraday cage that I built about 10 years ago in my shop.
Additionally I made sure both of our vehicles have their electrical components grounded to a common chassis point witch itself is in a small Faraday cage and all wire is shielded.
Made these preps a long time ago. I'm lacking in this dept. I haven't done squat and I know I really should be working on this soon!

Baglady
02-27-2015, 12:53 AM
http://www.survivopedia.com/best-emp-bug-out-vehicles/Our Horses are our EMP, SHTF, etc, "vehicle".

RWalls
02-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Don't forget the 6.9 and 7.3 international diesel engines ford used in the 80's and 90's.

Txwheels
02-27-2015, 07:06 AM
I have no vehicle preps for emp. If it happens I'll be on a bicycle until I can find a horse.

Hey wheels, can you post a pic of the Faraday cage? I am interested in making one myself. For now I have a steel feed bucket with a few layers of windshield screen cut to fit. It houses a Kindle, a handheld ham radio and 4 walkie talkies.

I would gladly post a photo for ya'll but for the time of year. Right now it's covered and surrounded by some 31 of Mrs. Wheels potted plants for the winter with a sun lamp shinning on them. Gotta keep the Mrs. happy I've learned after almost 38 years of marriage.

I will however until we move her mobile plant kingdom back to the yard say, it is a wooden box 4ft long, 3ft high and 3ft deep (front to back). The floor is covered with 1/16'' sheet steel and the front, back, sides and top covered with the same. I used 5/8" plywood for the box itself and 1/4" self tapping screws to attach the metal sheeting. The metal on the floor is covered by rubber matting for insulation to keep items inside from contacting metal.
Once it looks like we're done with freezing weather here, I will post a photo of it. I keep the items I mentioned in my earlier post in it along with a couple of hand held 2 way radios and a couple AM/FM portables and misc other electrical items.
Oh almost forgot; The entire box is grounded with 10 gauge wire through the back wall to a metal ground rod driven 4 ft into the ground.

MI.oldguy
02-27-2015, 10:48 AM
I haven't heard of the CUCV before. A diesel blazer. Awesome. I'm gonna keep my eye out for one.

The M-1008 5/4 ton (1-1/4 ton)pickups were awesome too.always wanted one.too bad the 6.2 diesels were such garbage.a hybrid one with a cummins 'B' engine or IHC 7.3L would be super cool.
If I had the $$$,I would like to build something like that.

Montana Rancher
03-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Made these preps a long time ago.

I hope I have both bases covered, a 1969 Ford F100 Ranger gassed up and ready to go (old time electronics not affected by EMP) and also my 3 horses and a barn full of hay (well about 1/3 full ... 12 tons) I have substantial pasture for my horses but SHTF they will be locked in the barn for a few months, hence the backstock of feed.

Pauls
03-04-2015, 06:02 PM
When you connect a wire to a 'faraday cage' that wire can electrocute you! All the voltage passing through the cage is carried into the wire attatched to it. Antenna comes to mind.

Montana Rancher
03-08-2015, 11:47 PM
When you connect a wire to a 'faraday cage' that wire can electrocute you! All the voltage passing through the cage is carried into the wire attatched to it. Antenna comes to mind.

I usually make it a point to not be holding my ground wire, in fact I haven't had one in my hands for ... my entire life. Did I miss your point?

Pauls
03-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Yep!

On a vehicle that is isolated from the ground (most tires will conduct electricity, albeit poorly) you want to have an isolated ground. That means the body is not connected to the battery at all. All the negative wires should be connected to the same point, an isolated negative terminal. Isolation is the key to good protection from E1 damage.

This type of electrical system uses twice as much wire and the components all have to be electrically isolated from each other and the ground. Electric forklifts have used isolated systems from the beginning but cars never have.

In effect a car body is just a big antenna in an HEMP. It is electrically connected to everything inside.