PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

Broncosfan
07-19-2023, 06:59 PM
Yes its mushroom picking time here in Ohio. Morel season is
over but its time for the Chanterelles. I love Morels but finding Chanterelles is just so easy they are becoming my favorite. Looks like fried mushroom in the dinner plans for tomorrow. We picked over 6lbs this evening in probably 30-45 minutes

hawgrider
07-19-2023, 07:18 PM
Interesting! I never had those.

Mad Trapper
07-19-2023, 09:22 PM
Yes its mushroom picking time here in Ohio. Morel season is
over but its time for the Chanterelles. I love Morels but finding Chanterelles is just so easy they are becoming my favorite. Looks like fried mushroom in the dinner plans for tomorrow. We picked over 6lbs this evening in probably 30-45 minutes

It's rainy wet here mushrooms are having a blast.

A friend who is a Chef got a big haul of chanterelles this week. We had a cookout. He prepped the shrooms and cooked them up with onions garlic fresh asparagus and other stuff I missed, that was just one course. I'll find out what he did with them.

We also had T-bones, venison and boneless chicken on the grill. Another friends girl made a cold salad with fresh from the garden vegetables, no lettuce but all kinds of stuff with a marinade. We started out with shrimp and cocktail sauce.

Was a good cookout.

What is the best way to put up/store chantarelles?

Broncosfan
07-19-2023, 09:37 PM

You don't know what your missing if you like mushrooms!

Broncosfan
07-19-2023, 09:39 PM
It's rainy wet here mushrooms are having a blast.

A friend who is a Chef got a big haul of chanterelles this week. We had a cookout. He prepped the shrooms and cooked them up with onions garlic fresh asparagus and other stuff I missed, that was just one course. I'll find out what he did with them.

We also had T-bones, venison and boneless chicken on the grill. Another friends girl made a cold salad with fresh from the garden vegetables, no lettuce but all kinds of stuff with a marinade. We started out with shrimp and cocktail sauce.

Was a good cookout.

What is the best way to put up/store chantarelles?

We have breaded and flash froze on a cookie sheet then put in a freezer bag. Stayed good for several months. I'm think of running some through the dehydrator. I've done that will mushroom that we grown on logs that my stepdad plugged. That worked well. Other than that hopefully someone else chimes in!

Sasquatch
07-20-2023, 01:00 AM

I had mushrooms in Amsterdam once. Trippy man! Whatever you do don't try watching Pee-Wee Herman dubbed in French while in Amsterdam and on shrooms. Not that I did but I just sayin' nobody should do that.

Mad Trapper
07-20-2023, 07:52 AM
We have breaded and flash froze on a cookie sheet then put in a freezer bag. Stayed good for several months. I'm think of running some through the dehydrator. I've done that will mushroom that we grown on logs that my stepdad plugged. That worked well. Other than that hopefully someone else chimes in!

Hen of the Woods, and Chicken/Sulfur mushrooms I've sliced thin then put in a dehydrator until crispy dry, then put in canning jars. Have to be absolutely dry or will spoil.

I've kept for a couple years that way, stored in a cool dark place w/my canned goods.

I'll have to watch for the chantrelles, they pop up under an apple in my backyard. Would have seen them when I mowed the lawn a couple days back.

Broncosfan
07-25-2023, 07:19 PM
So I done these a little different. I believe they will hold up in the freezer. They were absolutely delicious! We're planning to assembly line them this weekend and see how many we can get in the freezer. 23916