PDA

View Full Version : Theodore Roosevelt National Park; Chime in Jester in NoDak!

Slippy
08-06-2023, 10:14 AM
https://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

Me and Mrs S are jonesin' for a late summer trip and National Parks, being our gig, are on the short list.

What do I need to know about Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, ND?

We'll most likely drag the travel trailer and make a nice little road trip.

Any ideas, suggestions, RV park info, shooting ranges to hit nearby, blah blah blah?

Jester, lemme hear from you, my boy!

Slippy
09-02-2023, 07:23 AM
Come to North Dakota, they said, it will be cool they said...

IT.
IS.
FREAKIN'.
HOTTER.
THAN.
ALABAMA.
TODAY.
IN.
NORTH.
DAKOTA!

Slippy
09-02-2023, 08:01 AM
If you build it, they will come;

Field of Dreams, Dyersville, IA

MountainGirl
09-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Not sure how far NW you are headed - but keep an eye out on the fires.
Talked to my GF in Coeur d'Alene last night - it's bad, whole area, they had to evac twice.

Sounds like you're enjoying your trip though - awesome to get out and go!!
You gonna visit your Wyoming land?

Prepared One
09-02-2023, 09:37 AM
If you build it, they will come;

Field of Dreams, Dyersville, IA

Cool, I never realized that place existed in real life.

Box of frogs
09-02-2023, 10:25 AM

IT.
IS.
FREAKIN'.
HOTTER.
THAN.
ALABAMA.
TODAY.
IN.
NORTH.
DAKOTA!

Global warning ?

T-Man 1066
09-02-2023, 01:03 PM

T-Woman went there right before we met... mid 90's sometime. I used to work a few blocks from Beyer Stadium, where the Rockford Peaches played. Think of the movie "A league of their own"..

Jester-ND
09-02-2023, 05:53 PM

IT.
IS.
FREAKIN'.
HOTTER.
THAN.
ALABAMA.
TODAY.
IN.
NORTH.
DAKOTA!

be down to mid 60's around sunset.... which is like 8:45

Jester-ND
09-02-2023, 05:56 PM

MLB added on to the field and plays professional games there from time-to-time. The first one was cool! Kevin Costner and all the teams walked out of the cornfield to start the game!

Jester-ND
09-02-2023, 05:58 PM
I suggest the later show for the musical!

1skrewsloose
09-02-2023, 08:35 PM
Someone once said, its not the destination, its the journey, which I believe this to be true. Hope you and yours are enjoying your travels.

Box of frogs
09-03-2023, 04:28 AM
Someone once said, its not the destination, its the journey, which I believe this to be true. Hope you and yours are enjoying your travels.

I believe that was Miley Cyrus who said that while she was naked on a wrecking ball smoking a fat joint.

hawgrider
09-03-2023, 07:28 AM

"It's not the destination, it's the journey” is a quote famously attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson the American philosopher.

Slippy
09-03-2023, 08:13 AM
World's Largest Buffalo Jamestown, ND

Slippy
09-03-2023, 08:41 AM
Camped at Lake Sakakawea Beulah Bay/Dakota Waters

Heading out to Roosevelt National Park in a bit.

Mrs Slippy had 2 margarita's last night and is looking for Advil. ;)

stevekozak
09-03-2023, 09:00 AM
I believe that was Miley Cyrus who said that while she was naked on a wrecking ball smoking a fat joint.

That wrecking ball has since died of STDs. RIP wrecking ball.....

Slippy
09-03-2023, 07:53 PM
Theodore Roosevelt National Park is a beautiful beautiful experience! Will down-load some pics tomorrow am! Tired, hungry and thirsty...Off to Theodore's Dining Room at the Rough Riders Hotel for a big steak!

https://medora.com/theodoresdiningroom/

https://medora.com/roughridershotel/

Jester-ND
09-03-2023, 10:08 PM
temps much cooler tomorrow. hope you are taking in the musical. it is worth it! plenty of Teddy Roosevelt lovin to be had there!

Slippy
09-04-2023, 08:57 AM
temps much cooler tomorrow. hope you are taking in the musical. it is worth it! plenty of Teddy Roosevelt lovin to be had there!

Musical tomorrow for sure! A few park pics;

Prepared One
09-04-2023, 09:04 AM
Theodore Roosevelt National Park is a beautiful beautiful experience! Will down-load some pics tomorrow am! Tired, hungry and thirsty...Off to Theodore's Dining Room at the Rough Riders Hotel for a big steak!

https://medora.com/theodoresdiningroom/

https://medora.com/roughridershotel/

Char Crusted Ribeye please.

stevekozak
09-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Musical tomorrow for sure! A few park pics;

Pretty. Pretty!

hawgrider
09-04-2023, 10:38 AM

Musical like West side story? Sound of music?

I hate musicals my mother would watch nothing else on TV.

Nooooooooooo can't do it.

Jester-ND
09-04-2023, 01:30 PM

more like a country western tribute..... horses, fireworks, national anthem, reinactment of ol teddy charging up San Juan Hill, gunshots, cannons!! Fuckin A-Merica musical type shit!!

StratBastard
09-04-2023, 03:25 PM

If you gotta watch a musical, it's "Paint Your Wagon" every time.

Box of frogs
09-04-2023, 03:28 PM

My mom too !
Holy shit she loved to watch that shit.

shootbrownelk
09-04-2023, 05:37 PM
That wrecking ball has since died of STDs. RIP wrecking ball.....

She was sucking on a fat joint alright, but we probably aren't talking about weed here. :rolleyes:

Slippy
09-04-2023, 05:46 PM
Picture of the horizon from the park does not do it justice. Breathtaking in real life!

Wild Horses at the roadside. Beautiful!

Medora, ND entrance (South Unit of the Park)

Slippy
09-04-2023, 05:57 PM
Char Crusted Ribeye please.

Got it last night! pretty good but slightly over cooked as I like my medium-rare on the rare side. Mrs S got the filet tenderloin and it was cooked perfectly. Theodores was very good, albeit a bit pricey.

Slippy
09-04-2023, 06:04 PM

Jester,

I ain't lying'...Here is my view of NoDak...

North Dakota folk are the absolute FRIENDLIEST people in the country! We have met some of the best people and everyone is sincere, fun. like to drink and have a good time. ND has some downright fantastic men and women!

Love NoDak!!!!!!!!!!!

:callme:

Jester-ND
09-04-2023, 09:38 PM
yup.... and if we could give Fargo to Minnesota, we would in a heartbeat... minus NDSU

Jester-ND
09-04-2023, 09:41 PM
sorry about the bad weather!, hot 2 days, storm passin over you tonight, bad stuff supposed to head east of you though.

Jester-ND
09-04-2023, 09:43 PM
glad you enjoyed your time..... if SHTF , most of those farmers would put you up just for an extra trigger finger to add to the defense.. feed ya good too!

Slippy
09-04-2023, 10:12 PM
glad you enjoyed your time..... if SHTF , most of those farmers would put you up just for an extra trigger finger to add to the defense.. feed ya good too!

Ha!

I was telling Mrs S as we were driving up, "Dang, I've got 4 firearms; 2 pistols and 2 rifles... and over 1000 rounds of ammo! We are screwed if something goes down and some rogue cop phucks with the 4th Amendment and searches my truck!

Jester-ND
09-05-2023, 08:25 AM
more likely than not, you could get the cop to put in some range time with ya,

Prepared One
09-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Got it last night! pretty good but slightly over cooked as I like my medium-rare on the rare side. Mrs S got the filet tenderloin and it was cooked perfectly. Theodores was very good, albeit a bit pricey.

I like mine on the rare side as well. I don't mind paying the price as long as it's good. Sounds like your moving to North Dakota.

Slippy
09-06-2023, 07:58 AM
more like a country western tribute..... horses, fireworks, national anthem, reinactment of ol teddy charging up San Juan Hill, gunshots, cannons!! Fuckin A-Merica musical type shit!!

Jester was spot on! It was a solid performance and everyone in the crowd enjoyed it! They even had a comedian during the intermission.

hawgrider
09-06-2023, 08:19 AM
He hee Slippy goes to a musical :gossip:

Jester-ND
09-06-2023, 08:39 AM
Jester was spot on! It was a solid performance and everyone in the crowd enjoyed it! They even had a comedian during the intermission.

I always liked the horses that they sneak up on the hill in the background in the dark!

Slippy
09-06-2023, 08:53 AM
I always liked the horses that they sneak up on the hill in the background in the dark!

yes sir, that was pretty cool!

Slippy
09-06-2023, 08:59 AM
He hee Slippy goes to a musical :gossip:

Yes sir!! Slippy is a dad-gum Renaissance Man! Heck, we came back to the camper and put on some opera!

(not! :stirpot:)

:biglaugh:

Seriously, there were a ton of ranchers and cowboys/cowgirls in the crowd. More F250's in the parking lot than you could shake a stick at!

I was conceal packing a Colt 1911 45ACP, Mrs S was carrying a Glock 45 (9mm) in her purse... and I suppose I wasn't the only one!!! :redneck:

Prepared One
09-06-2023, 09:20 AM

I can see it now, Slippy dancing around in his cowboy boots and singing show tunes. :bounce:

Inor
09-06-2023, 12:41 PM
I can see it now, Slippy dancing around in his cowboy boots and singing show tunes. :bounce:

A regular Ethel Merman that one!

"There's no business
Like show business
Like no business I know!"

shootbrownelk
09-06-2023, 07:46 PM
Picture of the horizon from the park does not do it justice. Breathtaking in real life!

Wild Horses at the roadside. Beautiful!

Medora, ND entrance (South Unit of the Park)

I read an article about the Feral Horse (not wild) problem they have in TR national park. They have way too many and they need to be thinned say park officials. The horse lovers are up in arms about any reduction. We have the same problem here in Wyoming's Red Desert. I watched as group of feral nags ran off antelope, deer and elk from a watering hole we found when I drew that coveted area 100 bull elk tag. They are destroying the habitat for the native species. Maybe they'll issue tags to shoot the worthless hay burners.

shootbrownelk
09-06-2023, 07:50 PM
yup.... and if we could give Fargo to Minnesota, we would in a heartbeat... minus NDSU

I don't know about that, Fargo has a first class hospital, they saved my leg from an infection when the hospital in Canada was going to amputate it.

Slippy
09-06-2023, 09:41 PM
I read an article about the Feral Horse (not wild) problem they have in TR national park. They have way too many and they need to be thinned say park officials. The horse lovers are up in arms about any reduction. We have the same problem here in Wyoming's Red Desert. I watched as group of feral nags ran off antelope, deer and elk from a watering hole we found when I drew that coveted area 100 bull elk tag. They are destroying the habitat for the native species. Maybe they'll issue tags to shoot the worthless hay burners.

Funny you should say that...

I actually asked some Park Rangers at the welcome station about thinning programs for Prairie Dogs and Horses and the libtard female rangers came down on me with a lecture!

I let 3 of them go on and on about why animals are superior to humans and white males suck or some such nonsense and when they finally shut up I asked them what caliber for prairie dogs and wild horses! :biglaugh:

That pissed them off, but they were all fat ugly and pimple faced so I suspect they are always pissed off.

Are there no male park rangers anymore?

Jester-ND
09-06-2023, 09:55 PM

I actually asked some Park Rangers at the welcome station about thinning programs for Prairie Dogs and Horses and the libtard female rangers came down on me with a lecture!

I let 3 of them go on and on about why animals are superior to humans and white males suck or some such nonsense and when they finally shut up I asked them what caliber for prairie dogs and wild horses! :biglaugh:

That pissed them off, but they were all fat ugly and pimple faced so I suspect they are always pissed off.

yea... everyone taking pictures of the prairie dogs, my 10yr old says they would look good through a scope! those dogs are taking over!

shootbrownelk
09-07-2023, 11:04 PM

The commie, bunny hugging, fern fondling liberals have invaded the park ranger system, and the G&F commissions in some states. They need thinning too.

Slippy
09-10-2023, 09:19 AM
Funny story;

We pulled into Slippy Lodge yesterday after a wonderful trip. No problems during the nearly 4000 mile excursion.

We get to the gravel driveway, which is approx 900 feet, most of it uphill and I forgot to put the truck in 4wd.

Camper weighs approx 7k. New F250 has stock street tires as I have not upgraded to some All-Terrain tires.

We get 1/4 way up the hill and the truck is stuck, tires spinning, rubber burning on the gravel. Mind you, since I got the new truck, I've pulled the camper up the driveway at least 4 times.

No rain for a while and the gravel is loose as a 20 dollar whore.

So I grab 2 snatch straps from my toolbox, and shove some Maxx Traxx under the tires best I could.

Mrs Slippy walks the remaining 700 feet to the garage to get the Tacoma, drives it down and back it in. I attach the 2 recovery straps to the Ford F250 Diesel and the Toyota Tacoma and DAMN! the Tacoma pulls theSuper Duty truck + Travel Trailer up the hill!

Of course once the F250 got out of the loose gravel it made it up the hill fine but the Tacoma saved the day by giving it a much needed nudge!

Its good to be prepared!

Burnt some rubber on one of the Maxx Traxx!

hawgrider
09-10-2023, 03:07 PM
Funny story;

We pulled into Slippy Lodge yesterday after a wonderful trip. No problems during the nearly 4000 mile excursion.

We get to the gravel driveway, which is approx 900 feet, most of it uphill and I forgot to put the truck in 4wd.

Camper weighs approx 7k. New F250 has stock street tires as I have not upgraded to some All-Terrain tires.

We get 1/4 way up the hill and the truck is stuck, tires spinning, rubber burning on the gravel. Mind you, since I got the new truck, I've pulled the camper up the driveway at least 4 times.

No rain for a while and the gravel is loose as a 20 dollar whore.

So I grab 2 snatch straps from my toolbox, and shove some Maxx Traxx under the tires best I could.

Mrs Slippy walks the remaining 700 feet to the garage to get the Tacoma, drives it down and back it in. I attach the 2 recovery straps to the Ford F250 Diesel and the Toyota Tacoma and DAMN! the Tacoma pulls theSuper Duty truck + Travel Trailer up the hill!

Of course once the F250 got out of the loose gravel it made it up the hill fine but the Tacoma saved the day by giving it a much needed nudge!

Its good to be prepared!

Burnt some rubber on one of the Maxx Traxx!

Wow sad day for that ford to be pulled by rice Lol!

Slippy
09-10-2023, 03:41 PM
Wow sad day for that ford to be pulled by rice Lol!

I thought you would see this one! :banghead:

I outfitted the Tacoma specifically for off-road. The Ford is for tow/haul and long distance travel. :)

hawgrider
09-10-2023, 04:29 PM
I thought you would see this one! :banghead:

I outfitted the Tacoma specifically for off-road. The Ford is for tow/haul and long distance travel. :)
Well Slip at least its not an electric f250. :samflags: