PDA

View Full Version : Smithfield Foods closing 35 hog farm sites in Missouri

BucketBack
08-12-2023, 07:05 AM
Murphy-Brown LLC, a division of Smithfield Foods, is “reducing its hog farming operations” across the state and “must reduce its workforce accordingly,” the company said in the notice, which affects salaried and hourly workers.

The U.S. meat industry has struggled with declining profits and reduced demand from consumers squeezed by inflation and higher interest rates. Amid spiraling feed and labor costs, meat companies have struggled to predict demand for their products.

The notice to the state’s Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development, dated Aug. 2, identified 35 hog farm operation sites. They included 13 sites in Newtown, Missouri; 12 in Lucerne, Missouri; and 10 in Princeton, Missouri.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N39O2E6

MountainGirl
08-12-2023, 07:13 AM
And the collapse continues.

BucketBack
08-12-2023, 07:19 AM
No grain from Odessa, no rice from India besides speciality, no swine before it's time in Missouri..............................

Slippy
08-12-2023, 07:56 AM
Its real hard NOT to see how calculated/manipulated this shit is by the .GOV

Prepared One
08-12-2023, 08:30 AM
I fear much more to come, this is only the beginning. Meanwhile the MSM propagandists and that babbling idiot Dementia Joe are claiming "Bidenomics" is working. Wake the fuck up sheep! Your being hoodwinked.

Mad Trapper
08-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Isn't Smithfield owned by the chi-coms now? I've heard to avoid that chit....

hawgrider
08-12-2023, 10:12 AM
Isn't Smithfield owned by the chi-coms now? I've heard to avoid that chit....

Smithfield meats.... I won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Inor
08-12-2023, 03:33 PM
I do not know much about hogs because we do not have any yet. But cattle prices at auction have gone parabolic in the last couple months.

Historically, a 400-500 pound beef steer has been going for around $700-$800. Now they are in the $1400-$1500 range for smaller steers and the feedlots are getting into bidding wars over them. All of the ranchers around us are selling now to try and get in on the good prices. Usually they do not sell until late October or early November. Crazy!

I am guessing hogs are doing the same?

Michael_Js
08-12-2023, 06:24 PM
And in comes gates fake meats filled with chemicals, poisons, and other wonderful drugs...How convenient!!

1skrewsloose
08-12-2023, 09:00 PM
I heard that a whole lot of beef in the stores really comes from overseas, even if it says product of USA. They put crap in the feed for beef that is supposed to make men passive and docile. No wonder we're in such a mess.

red442joe
08-12-2023, 09:24 PM
Hmmm, sounds like long pork futures are on the rise.

Joe

1skrewsloose
08-12-2023, 10:35 PM
I thought there were laws against monopolies, :ie Kwiktrips /7-11's,built stores , under sold everyone else (mom & pop stores) lost big money but could absorb $$$ ,the loses till small stores folded and they took over. Then the had control over the market. This is not earth shaking news, after all this they (kwiktrip/7-11) conspire with each other to fix prices. BUY LOCAL!!!

Support Small Business!!!

1skrewsloose
08-12-2023, 10:52 PM
Ok, I had a few, talking meat, I watch cooking shows where the host swoon/drool about grass fed beef as being so great. Dumbasses wouldn't know a well marbled steak if it hit them in the face. Found a local locker plant that promotes GRAIN FED local beef. If you desire lean meat, equal to grass fed you may as well by an old milk cow to butcher. At this time I'm trying to get a USDA inspected shop to sell me a hind quarter whole, I will cut and wrap myself.

I worked 10 years USDA choice and Prime meat houses, I know what a good piece of meat looks like!

They make their money by the cutting and wrapping quick freeze charges.

Inor
08-12-2023, 10:58 PM
Ok, I had a few, talking meat, I watch cooking shows where the host swoon about grass fed beef as being so great. Dumbasses wouldn't know a well marbled steak if it hit them in the face. Found a local locker plant that promotes GRAIN FED local beef. If you desire lean meat, equal to grass fed you may as well by an old milk cow to butcher. At this time I'm trying to get a USDA inspected shop to sell me a hind quarter whole, I will cut and wrap myself.

I worked 10 years USDA choice and Prime meat houses, I know what a good piece of meat looks like!

^^^ ABSOLUTELY! ^^^

Plus, "grass fed" beef tastes weird and is tough as hell. Give me a big ol' corn fed beef any day of the week!

1skrewsloose
08-12-2023, 11:08 PM
I asked one gal at the counter of a locker plant if their meat was "Choice Grade", she stammered and said its choice. She had no freakin clue. Buyer beware.

1skrewsloose
08-12-2023, 11:12 PM
Being a "Meat Guy" I've noticed even the larger chains are selling cheaper grades of meat at way higher prices.

They'll put a label on it with the word "Choice" on it with with no regard it was really graded as choice beef. Assholes. So many are so easily led astray.

Michael_Js
08-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Corn fed beef - you do realize that is ALL GMO corn, right? :) (and soy beans - ALL GMO!!)
Cows were never meant to eat grains...

https://www.worldanimalprotection.us/blogs/what-do-cows-eat

BucketBack
08-13-2023, 06:20 AM
I heard that a whole lot of beef in the stores really comes from overseas, even if it says product of USA. They put crap in the feed for beef that is supposed to make men passive and docile. No wonder we're in such a mess.

Well I've been eating cheap swine and yard buzzard. And like when I was in High School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OU4ZhZc5Zw

Slippy
08-13-2023, 07:31 AM
My choices for grocery stores are Piggly Wiggly, Publix and Winn-Dixie. None of them have USDA Prime Beef.

I drive 40 miles every couple of weeks to get a slab or 2 of prime strip or rib loins and cut them myself. The lack of a good butcher shop is sad.

1skrewsloose
08-13-2023, 07:34 AM
Corn fed beef - you do realize that is ALL GMO corn, right? :) (and soy beans - ALL GMO!!)
Cows were never meant to eat grains...

https://www.worldanimalprotection.us/blogs/what-do-cows-eat

I cut out all the bad stuff from other food so I can enjoy a nice juicy steak. In the end I think it evens out.

Like having a salad for supper, then a big slice of pie for dessert.

Mad Trapper
08-13-2023, 08:15 AM
My cousins raise beef cattle for breeders. Very high quality cows. Another cousin is a retired butcher, still has processing equipment. They cull steers each fall. I'm seeing about helping out for a share and/or buying a 1/4.

Right now here, best meats/eggs are local farmers markets, beef pork chicken, more expensive but you know exactly where it comes from. Eggs too, they are so much better than store stuff.

My zone drew 100% for doe tag applicants, so I can take 2 bucks and a doe. Also can buy a 2nd doe tag for $5 in my zone. Venison I love more than beef. I also have the bears back around 1st season starts sept. The deer/bear are garden/orchard fed by me.......

Chiefster23
08-13-2023, 08:41 AM
My neighbor turned me on to a local farmer that raises quality beef and butchers them without any added chemicals or preservatives. So soon I am going to buy a sample pack and see just how good it is. Store bought beef around here sucks. Even the local butcher shop has been going down hill lately.

Prepared One
08-13-2023, 08:49 AM
I love meat. I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy. Hit the damn cow over the head drag him across the coals and put him on a plate I always say. I could eat more healthy, quit drinking and swearing, and I would live longer they say, but why the hell would I want too?

Fortunately, we do have a couple of good old fashioned butcher shops in the area so we can get good quality meats and fresh sausages. We utilize as much as we can the local farmers market for taters, vegies, and eggs.

shootbrownelk
08-14-2023, 12:21 PM
I fear much more to come, this is only the beginning. Meanwhile the MSM propagandists and that babbling idiot Dementia Joe are claiming "Bidenomics" is working. Wake the fuck up sheep! Your being hoodwinked.

Smithfield is almost totally owned by the Chinese. Those SOB shouldn't be able to buy up American companies or American farmland. Try to buy a Chinese company or farmland in China.

shootbrownelk
08-14-2023, 07:21 PM
I thought there were laws against monopolies, :ie Kwiktrips /7-11's,built stores , under sold everyone else (mom & pop stores) lost big money but could absorb $$$ ,the loses till small stores folded and they took over. Then the had control over the market. This is not earth shaking news, after all this they (kwiktrip/7-11) conspire with each other to fix prices. BUY LOCAL!!!

Support Small Business!!!

And the Muzzie immigrants dominate 7-11 gas/grocery store ownerships and motels.