PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Time!

Sparkyprep
08-13-2023, 11:29 AM
Took me 8 months to get it, but it is finally here. It was delivered yesterday, and I have been playing with it.

2024 Kubota L4802 with a loader, 6’ rotary cutter, and a set of pallet forks. 4 cyl diesel making about 50 hp. 2 sets of rear remotes, upgraded sway bars on the 3 pt hitch.

Mad Trapper
08-13-2023, 11:35 AM
If I had the $$$$.........

Michael_Js
08-13-2023, 11:52 AM
Congrats and enjoy!! We have the little BX-23S...

Box of frogs
08-13-2023, 01:56 PM
Great for you Sparky.
That’s a damn fine machine.
That extra horsepower will make a big ass difference on the tough jobs.

hawgrider
08-13-2023, 02:31 PM
Helluva rig right there! Super nice Sparky.

Sparkyprep
08-13-2023, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys. Started mowing pasture today. Also took out the old goat house. Good lord, the front end loader made that job quick and easy. Instead of hours taking it apart, I just picked the whole damn thing up, and dumped it into the burn pile.

Mad Trapper
08-13-2023, 04:02 PM
Nice tractor!

Did you think about getting the forks with the thumb? Handy for grabbing things like logs........

Inor
08-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Very nice!

Prepared One
08-13-2023, 05:42 PM
Sweet. Looks like a lot of work tho. Can't I hire one of Slippy's illegals and just shoot them when they come to get paid? :eyebrows:

Sparkyprep
08-13-2023, 06:56 PM
Sweet. Looks like a lot of work tho. Can't I hire one of Slippy's illegals and just shoot them when they come to get paid? :eyebrows:

I guess I'm old-school. I LIKE work.

1skrewsloose
08-13-2023, 07:13 PM
Nice, the only brand spanking new vehicle I ever owned was a 1974 Baja 100, H-D, actually made by AMF in Italy. Does it have that new car smell??:)

Big Ken
08-13-2023, 07:52 PM
Very Nice, I keep asking the wife I want something like this ( don't care the make I just want older ) she says noooooo, I'll wear her down one day.

https://i.imgur.com/f6s0s1Z.png

Slippy
08-13-2023, 08:19 PM
Excellent! Happy for you Sparky!!!!

Took me 8 months to get it, but it is finally here. It was delivered yesterday, and I have been playing with it.

2024 Kubota L4802 with a loader, 6’ rotary cutter, and a set of pallet forks. 4 cyl diesel making about 50 hp. 2 sets of rear remotes, upgraded sway bars on the 3 pt hitch.

T-Man 1066
08-13-2023, 08:47 PM
Very Nice, I keep asking the wife I want something like this ( don't care the make I just want older ) she says noooooo, I'll wear her down one day.

https://i.imgur.com/f6s0s1Z.png

I have this tractor, dad bought it 30 years ago. Can't tell from the pic if its just a standard NAA or if it's the Golden Jubilee. Mine is the Jubilee, beautiful lil tractor.

Sparkyprep
08-14-2023, 04:37 AM
Nice tractor!

Did you think about getting the forks with the thumb? Handy for grabbing things like logs........

I thought about a grapple, but my land is already cleared, so I wouldn't have much use for it. At least, not enough use to justify the $$$$. My land is open, clear pasture land. My father, his brother, and my granddad cleared this land back in 1968, with hand tools. Dad told me stories about it. Men were just tougher back then. I'm jelouse. I wish I was around back then.

Mad Trapper
08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
I have this tractor, dad bought it 30 years ago. Can't tell from the pic if its just a standard NAA or if it's the Golden Jubilee. Mine is the Jubilee, beautiful lil tractor.

That's a late 8N w/side mount distributor and genny on left side (50-52?), not an NAA (53-up), they are painted the same and look a lot alike ,some parts interchange. NAA has exhaust/intake on other side and a OHV 4-cyl not a flat head.

I've been helping my cousin rebuild his NAA/Jubi, was his Dad's too. Blew a head gasket and we had a machine shop R + R the head, have all the parts now just need to get it together.

I've had a 1940 9N for many years, just got a 52 Fergy TO-20 w/TO-30 engine. Taught myself how to fix/work on all of them. Most things that need fixin can be done with the tools that fit in the lunchbox size toolboxes they have.

I have PDF service/parts manuals for the Fords and the Fergy. PM me if you need them for the NAA.

9N

TO-20

Mad Trapper
08-14-2023, 07:48 AM
I thought about a grapple, but my land is already cleared, so I wouldn't have much use for it. At least, not enough use to justify the $$$$. My land is open, clear pasture land. My father, his brother, and my granddad cleared this land back in 1968, with hand tools. Dad told me stories about it. Men were just tougher back then. I'm jelouse. I wish I was around back then.

My place is 1/2 forested and I have a portable sawmill. When I saw your new beauty I thought that would be the cat's ass to have here with a grapple and a snow plow.

My grandfather did it the hard way too. Actual picture of him and the 4-hoof drive tractor!

Big Ken
08-14-2023, 08:11 AM

This is for sale in marketplace, not sure about the model just love the looks, these older tractors just seen to last forever.

That's a late 8N w/side mount distributor and genny on left side (50-52?), not an NAA (53-up), they are painted the same and look a lot alike ,some parts interchange. NAA has exhaust/intake on other side and a OHV 4-cyl not a flat head.

I've been helping my cousin rebuild his NAA/Jubi, was his Dad's too. Blew a head gasket and we had a machine shop R + R the head, have all the parts now just need to get it together.

I've had a 1940 9N for many years, just got a 52 Fergy TO-20 w/TO-30 engine. Taught myself how to fix/work on all of them. Most things that need fixin can be done with the tools that fit in the lunchbox size toolboxes they have.

I have PDF service/parts manuals for the Fords and the Fergy. PM me if you need them for the NAA.

9N

TO-20

No we're talking. Nice

Prepared One
08-14-2023, 08:21 AM
I guess I'm old-school. I LIKE work.

Had a lifetime of hard work, :whippin: I am looking to make my life easier, not harder. Nice tractor tho, I just wouldn't have much need of one here. Most of my land is wooded and I like that way.

Mad Trapper
08-14-2023, 09:16 AM
Had a lifetime of hard work, :whippin: I am looking to make my life easier, not harder. Nice tractor tho, I just wouldn't have much need of one here. Most of my land is wooded and I like that way.

Maybe MG will get you a sawmill for your birthday?

T-Man 1066
08-14-2023, 03:54 PM

9N

TO-20

Agreed, my bad. Also noticed the hinged hood on a NA / Jubilee goes the whole length, not just the first third...

Sparkyprep
08-14-2023, 05:31 PM
My place is 1/2 forested and I have a portable sawmill. When I saw your new beauty I thought that would be the cat's ass to have here with a grapple and a snow plow.

My grandfather did it the hard way too. Actual picture of him and the 4-hoof drive tractor!

When men were men. Lots of respect.

Mad Trapper
08-14-2023, 07:02 PM
Agreed, my bad. Also noticed the hinged hood on a NA / Jubilee goes the whole length, not just the first third...

People get the Ns mixed up all the time. A 9N is close to identical to 2N, the 8N a little different and they changed some things on those last few years.

Then there are the Franken Ns, that have mix and match parts........

T-Man 1066
08-14-2023, 07:14 PM
People get the Ns mixed up all the time. A 9N is close to identical to 2N, the 8N a little different and they changed some things on those last few years.

Then there are the Franken Ns, that have mix and match parts........

I have always been a Farmall guy, and still have a '50 "C", the Ford is a more useful tractor, except the C can turn on a end row tighter, narrow front and all. Plus 31 HP vs 18 HP helps as well. I did have a retrofit 3 point on my C, didn't have the power to run a 5' bush hog in deep grass like the Jubilee did.

Mad Trapper
08-14-2023, 07:26 PM
I have always been a Farmall guy, and still have a '50 "C", the Ford is a more useful tractor, except the C can turn on a end row tighter, narrow front and all. Plus 31 HP vs 18 HP helps as well. I did have a retrofit 3 point on my C, didn't have the power to run a 5' bush hog in deep grass like the Jubilee did.

Years back I rented from a guy who had a narrow front H. I used to work on it for him for $$$ off on rent. It's still running as far as I know.

Last summer a long running country agricultural fair had antique tractor show. Was a lot of restored Internationals there.

I'll leave it there as already hijacked Sparky's thread

T-Man 1066
08-14-2023, 07:33 PM
Years back I rented from a guy who had a narrow front H. I used to work on it for him for $$$ off on rent. It's still running as far as I know.

Last summer a long running country agricultural fair had antique tractor show. Was a lot of restored Internationals there.

I'll leave it there as already hijacked Sparky's thread

Yep, guilty on the hijack, sorry Sparky!

While I am on the subject, Farmall, B, C, H, 560, 706 gas, 1066, Ford Jubilee, 861 Powermaster, Gleaner K, Gleaner R60, JD 420C trackloader, Hydramac 1850 Skiddy, and probably 18-20 Cub Cadets, all sorts.

Sparkyprep
08-15-2023, 05:31 AM
Yep, guilty on the hijack, sorry Sparky!

While I am on the subject, Farmall, B, C, H, 560, 706 gas, 1066, Ford Jubilee, 861 Powermaster, Gleaner K, Gleaner R60, JD 420C trackloader, Hydramac 1850 Skiddy, and probably 18-20 Cub Cadets, all sorts.

No worries. Thread hijacking is encouraged here. I love the old tractor pics. Plus, it keeps things interesting.

Big Ken
08-15-2023, 09:51 AM
No worries. Thread hijacking is encouraged here. I love the old tractor pics. Plus, it keeps things interesting.

I think I started it, I'll never have a nice one like yous but those oldies are always a possibility.

Mad Trapper
08-15-2023, 10:52 AM
I think I started it, I'll never have a nice one like yous but those oldies are always a possibility.

Keep on looking. There's lots out there in decent condition that go cheap, sometimes with implements. I like Ford Ns/NAA and Fergusons. Very easy to work on, but have limitations compared to newer tractors. Can still find good runners for $1000-3000.

I got my 9N in the 1980s with : tire chains, back blade, 2-bottom plow, scoopbucket, spring harrow, had good tires all around. Owner was selling because it was fouling plugs and he thought motor needed a rebuild. Got all of it for $1200

It had been a bit neglected on maintenance. Oil bath air filter had 2" of water at the bottom, raising oil so it got sucked in the carb. I caught up on all the neglect and it ran fine. Motor still runs fine, by the time oil is down a quart it's time to change it.

I have replaced a lot of the 80 year old stuff, genny/starter rebuilt, exhaust manifold, rebuilt carb, replaced wiring and fixed lights,..... only had to go into the distributor once so far coil went bad so I took it all apart and replaced what was needed with quality parts, not Chi-Com shit. I was surprised when I looked at the points, they were OEM Ford with Ford logo, no wonder they lasted so long. It's still a 6V positive ground system. If you get an old one always better to R + R original parts than buy new junk.

New project is the Ferguson TO-20. It had been sitting and I'm in process of getting it going soon. Got from neighbors father who had rebuilt it years back combing a good TO-30 engine into a good TO-20 chassis. From looks pretty good condition, paid $500.

Fuel system was gunked from sitting with E10 in it, and some mud wasps got inside the distributor. I've R +R ed the distributor and static timed it, the carb/gas tank has been cleaned and put a new sediment bowl/fuel line on it. I have to finish putting the carb together and install to get it going.

I'll post a new thread with pics on that when it's running.

T-Man 1066
08-15-2023, 12:43 PM
Keep on looking. There's lots out there in decent condition that go cheap, sometimes with implements. I like Ford Ns/NAA and Fergusons. Very easy to work on, but have limitations compared to newer tractors. Can still find good runners for $1000-3000.

I got my 9N in the 1980s with : tire chains, back blade, 2-bottom plow, scoopbucket, spring harrow, had good tires all around. Owner was selling because it was fouling plugs and he thought motor needed a rebuild. Got all of it for $1200

It had been a bit neglected on maintenance. Oil bath air filter had 2" of water at the bottom, raising oil so it got sucked in the carb. I caught up on all the neglect and it ran fine. Motor still runs fine, by the time oil is down a quart it's time to change it.

I have replaced a lot of the 80 year old stuff, genny/starter rebuilt, exhaust manifold, rebuilt carb, replaced wiring and fixed lights,..... only had to go into the distributor once so far coil went bad so I took it all apart and replaced what was needed with quality parts, not Chi-Com shit. I was surprised when I looked at the points, they were OEM Ford with Ford logo, no wonder they lasted so long. It's still a 6V positive ground system. If you get an old one always better to R + R original parts than buy new junk.

New project is the Ferguson TO-20. It had been sitting and I'm in process of getting it going soon. Got from neighbors father who had rebuilt it years back combing a good TO-30 engine into a good TO-20 chassis. From looks pretty good condition, paid $500.

Fuel system was gunked from sitting with E10 in it, and some mud wasps got inside the distributor. I've R +R ed the distributor and static timed it, the carb/gas tank has been cleaned and put a new sediment bowl/fuel line on it. I have to finish putting the carb together and install to get it going.

I'll post a new thread with pics on that when it's running.

Alot of times the top bushing in the distributor wallers out. There is a Gitz-style oil cup on the side, but sometimes they get broke off, or neglected for sure. No lube, no last...

Mad Trapper
08-15-2023, 06:16 PM
Alot of times the top bushing in the distributor wallers out. There is a Gitz-style oil cup on the side, but sometimes they get broke off, or neglected for sure. No lube, no last...

You're talking about the Fergy I think. Yes understand the oil cup sort of like they put on old gennys too.

My 9Ns distributor was nothing like I'd ever worked on (front mount). Need to remove to work on and a rather unique way of setting the timing before you reinstall it. Those too are known to wear out top bushings.

1skrewsloose
08-15-2023, 07:50 PM
Need to remove to work on and a rather unique way of setting the timing before you reinstall it. Those too are known to wear out top bushings.

9n, is that the same folks that make cars? I bought a Full size Bronco, not familiar with Ford motors, used to chevies, had to replace heads, THEY WANTED ME TO BUY ALL NEW PUSH RODS OF THE PROPER LENGTH!! Screw that, bought self locking nuts and was on my way. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. Guess there was a reason all along why I didn't like fords.

Mad Trapper
08-16-2023, 09:42 AM
Need to remove to work on and a rather unique way of setting the timing before you reinstall it. Those too are known to wear out top bushings.

9n, is that the same folks that make cars? I bought a Full size Bronco, not familiar with Ford motors, used to chevies, had to replace heads, THEY WANTED ME TO BUY ALL NEW PUSH RODS OF THE PROPER LENGTH!! Screw that, bought self locking nuts and was on my way. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. Guess there was a reason all along why I didn't like fords.

One of these.

1skrewsloose
08-16-2023, 11:01 AM
One of these.

Yeah, Ford 9n, didn't know if FoMoCo made tractors early on or not.

Guess I got lazy, simple web search would have gave me the answer.

Mad Trapper
08-16-2023, 11:41 AM
Yea, Ford 9n, didn't know if FoMoCo made tractors early on or not.

Guess I got lazy, simple web search would have gave me the answer.

Ford made cars 1903, soon started in on tractors. Henry Ford was devil

Wern't worth much until Harry Furguson entered a Patent with Ford. All the 3th hitch stuff.......Ford tried to fuuck Harry, he sued Ford and won, took many years....

Harry started Furguson mean time. Latter Massy/Furguson......nice stuff too....

Sparkyprep
08-16-2023, 06:47 PM
Just got done tearing down the last goat house. It was rotten, so it didn't hold together as well as the last one.

Mad Trapper
08-17-2023, 08:17 AM
Just got done tearing down the last goat house. It was rotten, so it didn't hold together as well as the last one.

Sparky, I'd get 3 weeks of work done in 1 with your new tractor.

Post more pictures of it working/the farm!!

Sparkyprep
08-17-2023, 09:23 AM
Sparky, I'd get 3 weeks of work done in 1 with your new tractor.

Post more pictures of it working/the farm!!

I'll have to wait on Mrs. Sparky to get home. I can't work and take pics of myself at the same time. LOL.

Michael_Js
08-17-2023, 10:48 AM
I'll have to wait on Mrs. Sparky to get home. I can't work and take pics of myself at the same time. LOL.

You need a drone! :)

Sparkyprep
08-17-2023, 04:06 PM
Just bolted my Work Master Plate from JU Fabworks onto my dirt bucket.

https://www.jufabworks.com/products/p/kubota-workmaster

Box of frogs
08-17-2023, 05:00 PM

So this gives you tie and chain points for pulling / lifting with the bucket?

Slippy
08-17-2023, 05:49 PM

Good call, very useful tool!

Sparkyprep
08-18-2023, 06:12 AM
So this gives you tie and chain points for pulling / lifting with the bucket?

Yep. Pull points are rated for 5000 lbs., which is more than the loader can lift.