PDA

View Full Version : Last project 2023

Broncosfan
08-19-2023, 09:05 PM
I wasn't planning to start another project this year. I just happened to find a guy that has cedar fence posts. There were cheaper than I could get pressured treated ones for locally and will last longer. So I had 196 posts delivered today. Not sure how soon we will start but the plan is to have it done before winter.

Inor
08-19-2023, 09:07 PM
I wasn't planning to start another project this year. I just happened to find a guy that has cedar fence posts. There were cheaper than I could get pressured treated ones for locally and will last longer. So I had 196 posts delivered today. Not sure how soon we will start but the plan is to have it done before winter.

Damn! You are going to be BUSY!!!

Broncosfan
08-19-2023, 09:18 PM
Damn! You are going to be BUSY!!!

Yes I can't seem to slow down with projects. I ordered a couple extra to make a nice mailbox post out of and one to mount the life ring on down by the pond. Other than that the rest should be for fencing.

Mad Trapper
08-19-2023, 10:07 PM
Doing welded wire?

As a kid in HS I worked on a long neglected farm that got new owners. We had to clear all the fence lines out of brush, then put up new welded/page wire.

The posts were also cedar. with sharpened points. We had an attachment for the front of one of the tractors to drive the posts. Was basically a big spring loaded I-beam mounted mounted on a frame. Hydraulics would lift the ram/stretch the springs, and then you'd let it release to drive the post. I was glad I finished the job without mashed finger/thumbs. Could drive posts pretty fast with that setup.

I think most now are 3pt-H mounted. Might want to rent one for the job?

Slippy
08-20-2023, 06:15 AM

A good fence sure looks nice on the right piece of land and your land and pond is pretty spectacular! Have fun!

Broncosfan
08-20-2023, 06:33 PM
Doing welded wire?

As a kid in HS I worked on a long neglected farm that got new owners. We had to clear all the fence lines out of brush, then put up new welded/page wire.

The posts were also cedar. with sharpened points. We had or 5 an attachment for the front of one of the tractors to drive the posts. Was basically a big spring loaded I-beam mounted mounted on a frame. Hydraulics would lift the ram/stretch the springs, and then you'd let it release to drive the post. I was glad I finished the job without mashed finger/thumbs. Could drive posts pretty fast with that setup.

I think most now are 3pt-H mounted. Might want to rent one for the job?

My plan is to run high tensile wire. Not sure if I will use 4 or 5 strands of wire. As of now it won't be use to keep any animals in. Just a boundary with added gates. I like using the hihn tensile wire so it will be easy to keep the fence row clean. I'm not sure about driving the post in. My uncle suggested it so I might consider it

Mad Trapper
08-20-2023, 07:03 PM
The driver on the tractor I used had adjustments to tilt L + R and front and back so you could get it vertical/plumb and drive the posts vertical. Was a two man operation. After the line was cleared posts were laid out according to post spacing. A string was stretched to keep the fence straight, skip aheard a bunch of posts to drive one as a reference and to attach the string. One person moved the tractor into position and the other would operate the driver, then on to next post.

You can run what wire you prefer after the posts were in. Get a good stretcher for the wire/fencing.

This was ~ 40 years ago and the cedar posts/fences are still up.

Broncosfan
08-20-2023, 09:11 PM
The driver on the tractor I used had adjustments to tilt L + R and front and back so you could get it vertical/plumb and drive the posts vertical. Was a two man operation. After the line was cleared posts were laid out according to post spacing. A string was stretched to keep the fence straight, skip aheard a bunch of posts to drive one as a reference and to attach the string. One person moved the tractor into position and the other would operate the driver, then on to next post.

You can run what wire you prefer after the posts were in. Get a good stretcher for the wire/fencing.

This was ~ 40 years ago and the cedar posts/fences are still up.

I've heard some really good things about cedar posts and that is why I got them.

Broncosfan
09-30-2023, 08:31 PM
Making some progress. Front of property post are close to in. Took a while learning to use the auger but its getting better. The post holes closer to the house have been the hardest to dig. Hoping to get all front posts in by early nest week. 25159

Broncosfan
10-24-2023, 06:37 PM
Here is the the progress so far! 25556

hawgrider
10-24-2023, 06:58 PM

Ranch Broncosfan is looking mighty fine!

Broncosfan
10-24-2023, 07:20 PM
Ranch Broncosfan is looking mighty fine!

Hawgrider Thanks we're putting in the effort for sure. We won' t finish the fence this year but we made a huge dent in it. All of the road frontage will be done this week. We're working on the other side of the neighbors now. We had some rough drilling on the other side. I got the auger stuck several times.

hawgrider
10-24-2023, 07:23 PM
Hawgrider Thanks we're putting in the effort for sure. We won' t finish the fence this year but we made a huge dent in it. All of the road frontage will be done this week. We're working on the other side of the neighbors now. We had some rough drilling on the other side. I got the auger stuck several times. A good fence makes good neighbors.

Broncosfan
10-24-2023, 07:35 PM
A good fence makes good neighbors.

I agree 100%!

Slippy
10-24-2023, 09:57 PM

Very nice! Love it!

Ricekila
10-25-2023, 07:06 AM
Here is the the progress so far!]

Further east of us --- we have / had kids in the middle of the night wizz by in their cars w/ baseball bats --- hitting home runs with mail boxes like that -- I remember one welder made one out of 3" pipe and the box out of 1/4" steel ------ still there --- but theres chips in the paint every so often - LL

MountainGirl
10-25-2023, 07:54 AM
Further east of us --- we have / had kids in the middle of the night wizz by in their cars w/ baseball bats --- hitting home runs with mail boxes like that -- I remember one welder made one out of 3" pipe and the box out of 1/4" steel ------ still there --- but theres chips in the paint every so often - LL

:biglaugh: And maybe a broken wrist or two.

Broncosfan
10-25-2023, 06:11 PM

We've had ours hit a couple of times a few years ago. Now the security camera is pointed right at it. So we might not catch them in at first but the camera should.

Ricekila
10-27-2023, 12:52 PM
We've had ours hit a couple of times a few years ago. Now the security camera is pointed right at it. So we might not catch them in at first but the camera should.

Here they're so intent on vandalism ----- they either cut the camera wires ( if reachable ) whack the camera or BB gun the lenz -- Ya-need a camera to watch the camera --- little twats !

Broncosfan
10-27-2023, 01:13 PM
Here they're so intent on vandalism ----- they either cut the camera wires ( if reachable ) whack the camera or BB gun the lenz -- Ya-need a camera to watch the camera --- little twats !

My opinion it should be legal to load shotgun shells like Granny Clampet did with rock salt. These punks would think twice! lol

Ricekila
10-27-2023, 01:28 PM
My opinion it should be legal to load shotgun shells like Granny Clampet did with rock salt. These punks would think twice! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7cpc2GArpg

Inor
10-27-2023, 02:27 PM

That's not legal?!? Who knew...

Shotguns and rock salt go together like potatoes and gravy or George and Gracie! They were made for each other!

Slippy
10-27-2023, 05:43 PM
Watching the leaves fall, sippin' Tequila at Slippy Lodge on the back porch. A modern sporting rifle or 3, a 12gauge and a .45 that won two world wars, nearby so...:samflags:

Screw the bastards who hate us...

StratBastard
10-27-2023, 07:08 PM
That's not legal?!? Who knew...

Shotguns and rock salt go together like potatoes and gravy or George and Gracie! They were made for each other!

There used to be a place online you could order specialty shotshells from. They had all that "dragon's breath" and flechette kinda circus stuff. But I did order some 12 gauge loaded with rock salt, still have it somewhere. My favorite round for them was 20 gauge "hog shot" which is basically two ball bearings in each shell. I figure 4 of those babies out of my coach gun would stop most anything.

Mad Trapper
10-28-2023, 10:39 PM

Years ago, I had a friend who had someone running over his mailbox with a P/U truck. He worked in a machine shop which frabricated all sorts of things large and small. He got some 4" solid steel rod and welded a sturdy triangulated base with 3" angle iron. The next time the mailbox got ran over, he replaced the box using the above base and pole, with the base buried. The pole was dressed/covered in real birch bark making it look like a homemade (well it was) wooden post.

A few nights later he heard a crash, the a bit of commotion. He got up to see what happened and found the mailbox hit. The post held and the base had unearthed, then hung up the truck for a while while the driver jerked the truck back and forth to get free. The driver/truck got away, but he left a trail of antifreeze and motor oil. That was the end of the mailbox problems.

The mailbox this time was undamaged, the post wasn't even bent. He reset the base/post and the mailbox.

T-Man 1066
10-29-2023, 07:35 AM
Years ago, I had a friend who had someone running over his mailbox with a P/U truck. He worked in a machine shop which frabricated all sorts of things large and small. He got some 4" solid steel rod and welded a sturdy triangulated base with 3" angle iron. The next time the mailbox got ran over, he replaced the box using the above base and pole, with the base buried. The pole was dressed/covered in real birch bark making it look like a homemade (well it was) wooden post.

A few nights later he heard a crash, the a bit of commotion. He got up to see what happened and found the mailbox hit. The post held and the base had unearthed, then hung up the truck for a while while the driver jerked the truck back and forth to get free. The driver/truck got away, but he left a trail of antifreeze and motor oil. That was the end of the mailbox problems.

The mailbox this time was undamaged, the post wasn't even bent. He reset the base/post and the

I have always thought of doing that but just assumed if somebody did hit it, especially if accidentally, the attorneys (liars) would have a field day with me...

I do know a guy that made his mailbox post about 6' away from the road, the mailbox itself was attached, kinda like a radial arm, where is the plow truck hit it, it would just swing off to the side, then auto reset via spring.